OBD2 Bluetooth for Iphone or Android?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
OBD2 Bluetooth for Iphone or Android?

What are you guys using for Bluetooth OBD2? What app and what platform iPhone or android? I got the one for my iPhone 6 from K solutions in the app store. I bought there bluetooth adapter also for 35 bucks.

Has anyone had issues connecting or usage with IPHONE 5-6? Ive read about some issues with apple.

It seems many that use Torque with android have no issues. But, Torque is not available on apple unless you jailbreak the iPhone. Not sure I want to do that.

So what gives? I used it and it worked once but it was a pita to connect and finally get to work. The next day nothing. It says connected but nothing works.

Im thinking of returning it and picking up a cheap android and getting the Torque app.

Thanks in advance
Old 10-15-2015, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 MB E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Max.H
What are you guys using for Bluetooth OBD2? What app and what platform iPhone or android? I got the one for my iPhone 6 from K solutions in the app store. I bought there bluetooth adapter also for 35 bucks.

Has anyone had issues connecting or usage with IPHONE 5-6? Ive read about some issues with apple.

It seems many that use Torque with android have no issues. But, Torque is not available on apple unless you jailbreak the iPhone. Not sure I want to do that.

So what gives? I used it and it worked once but it was a pita to connect and finally get to work. The next day nothing. It says connected but nothing works.

Im thinking of returning it and picking up a cheap android and getting the Torque app.

Thanks in advance
I had the same problem. You have to get the one that says it is IOS and Android compatable and has "wifi" not just Bluetooth. Torque was available on my iPhone 6 without jailbreak and works fine
Old 10-15-2015, 06:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'06 E55
I have an Iphone 6 with quite a few apps including Dashcommand. But I bought an old Android phone and have it dedicated to the car with Torque. I like it better than the others.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:16 PM

various cars
I use an iPhone also, so I picked up the OBDLink MX WiFi from ScanTool.net.

It has a very reliable connection.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 774 Likes on 753 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
all depends on what app you will use...
Old 10-15-2015, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,506 Likes on 1,177 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
There's also the Launch x431 EasyDiag which you can find on aliexpress for around $30+. This one comes with software for two vehicle manufacturers, they used to charge $40 each for them. I got one last year and never used got the software for the specific manufacturer as I haven't had any problems that needed it. Scans generic OBD2 for free.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Promo...rchweb201560_2

They have a version for both Android an iOS. The android version worked fine for me.

The torque software is a little better with an ELM327, but then it doesn't scan manufacturer specific codes, you can get a good one like the BAFX one on Amazon, about $24 plus $5 for the Torque app.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by Blue55
I had the same problem. You have to get the one that says it is IOS and Android compatable and has "wifi" not just Bluetooth. Torque was available on my iPhone 6 without jailbreak and works fine
How come I don't see Torque in the app store for my iPhone 6? The one I have is called ENGINE LINK has wifi and bluetooth but I have been using bluetooth.

Well turns out, you need to do the opposite of what the manufacturer says and it connects fine! After a few days I got this thing to work.

My IAT is like 30-34 degrees above ambient on an 81 degree day, but just putting around stop and go traffic. I see some cooling in the near future.
Old 10-16-2015, 08:24 PM

2006 MB E55 AMG
How come I don't see Torque in the app store for my iPhone 6? The one I have is called ENGINE LINK has wifi and bluetooth but I have been using bluetooth.

Well turns out, you need to do the opposite of what the manufacturer says and it connects fine! After a few days I got this thing to work.

My IAT is like 30-34 degrees above ambient on an 81 degree day, but just putting around stop and go traffic. I see some cooling in the near future.
Yeah, Engine Link is what I have and it tells you everything except fuel level. It's pretty nice
Old 10-16-2015, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,506 Likes on 1,177 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Well I thought about it and figured what the heck, mind as well spend the $29 and see what manufacturer specific codes are as the old version charged $40 per manufacturer.
Old 10-17-2015, 01:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Cruising at 40-50 my IAT is 20 degrees above ambient.

After a hard pull I see the IAT shoot up to to 147 degrees or more on cool night 67 degrees, then it quickly drops back down to about 25-30 above ambient in about 30-45 seconds. About a minute cursing at 40-50mph and it's right back to where I started 20 degrees above ambient. Kinda cool to be able to see what the car is doing and when you are at peak power.

Doing a full run and letting the car sit just boils the IAT, That is why we need ice or split system with ice in a little reservoir. I just ordered the cobra tank and I will be splitting the system, shoving ice cubes into the little front mount reservoir and the CM30 will be wired up to ignition power. So I can run the pump to circulate ice cold water with redline water weter when at the track just sitting.

I also picked up a a little garden sprayer from home depot and I fill it ice cubes and filtered water. I mist down the supercharger and intake manifolds, radiator and heat exchanger. When sitting and it helps A LOT! No more carrying around ice bags. Although that helps even more. Split system, cobra tank, ice cubes, and ice water in the garden sprayer I think will be a huge difference.

Next is Long tubes 90mm throttle body water injection with a little methanol and tune. Keeping stock boost maybe indefinitely. Pulleys exploding wobbling. Ya, No thanks. car pulls hard as is.
Old 10-17-2015, 10:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55, past: SL55, 560SEL
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
There's also the Launch x431 EasyDiag which you can find on aliexpress for around $30+. This one comes with software for two vehicle manufacturers, they used to charge $40 each for them. I got one last year and never used got the software for the specific manufacturer as I haven't had any problems that needed it. Scans generic OBD2 for free.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Promo...rchweb201560_2

They have a version for both Android an iOS. The android version worked fine for me.

The torque software is a little better with an ELM327, but then it doesn't scan manufacturer specific codes, you can get a good one like the BAFX one on Amazon, about $24 plus $5 for the Torque app.
I just ordered the BAFX one on AMZN prime. My HU came with torque pro installed, I'll let you know how it goes. I'm also going to try to run a obdII splitter (one input for BAFX the other for wifi hotspot via ATT).
Old 10-17-2015, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Ohh those are nice. I seen one on ebay I think they are the same right? Its android.
Old 10-17-2015, 10:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55, past: SL55, 560SEL
Ohh those are nice. I seen one on ebay I think they are the same right? Its android.
Right, here's the full thread...my video/update is towards the bottom ... https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ics-txt-3.html