E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

After market Android 4.4.4 Quad Core complete install. Vids and Pics and txt

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55, past: SL55, 560SEL
The update from me is that I lost one of the chords so I've re-ordered it. Should have the install done by mid Sept. I'll def. keep all posted.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:32 AM

C219 CLS350
Hi,

Great news. Got a new head unit form a different seller.
Still battling the original seller for a refund.

But for now at least I can progress.
Tried the new unit out, plugging it in the boot via the 6m power cable.
Works.
This weekend will be busy to upgrade my headunit.

Cheers
Old 09-16-2015, 04:32 PM

Hi Xpression, EDIT: after doing some more research I think I found a better solution for those of us who cannot tether their phone. AT&T has come out with a new wi-Fi emitting device that connects to your OBDII port. What's great about it is that it automatically powers up with the car's ignition and turns itself off when the engine is shut down. http://m.androidcentral.com/zte-partners-att-offer-its-first-wi-fi-hotspot-car-mobley

Then I'll buy this OBDII splitter so I can plug both the Att wifi hotspot and OBDII Bluetooth diagnostic to the port.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EEDOWU8?vs=1

....then I'll cross my fingers and hope it works!

Another question I have is can you use the torque app and talk on the phone via Bluetooth at the same time?

Also you mentioned something about buying speaker wire for the amp I think earlier can you elaborate on that please or can I use the oem speaker wires?

Last edited by tubaprde; 09-18-2015 at 12:40 AM.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:26 PM

C219 CLS350
Got a spare HU now. Any takers

Hi
After fixing the dodgy powr cable both headunits work. Anyone interested. Happy to part with one .

Cheers
Old 09-17-2015, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Xpresion,
Thanks for the great write up on this install. It was timely for me as I needed to replace my comand head unit and I ended up getting the one you recommended from the and seller.

Did you have any issue with getting the canbus programmed? If not, is there a trick to getting the HU to recognize the steering wheel buttons? I can only seem to get it to recognize the phone pickup button on the steering wheel.

Can you also share the a link for the ROM upgrade you found on XDA?

Thanks!
Old 09-19-2015, 10:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'12 E63, E55(sold), C32 (sold), '65 Skylark GS 445 convertible, '12 ML350
Following this now for sure since I've got two blown speakers... and my navi is dead due to corroded nav antenna (not just at the connection in the trunk ... it's destroyed)... so I'm contemplating a full replacement of everything.

EDIT/CORRECTION: After looking at the SUPER helpful speaker diagram posted in the beginning of this thread... and then doing some research... it's the sub/surround unit (sub + two speakers) that is shot.... the everything else is all good. I thought the rear deck was three separate speakers not one unit...)

GREAT thread... super informational!

Last edited by pullejo; 09-19-2015 at 11:58 PM.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'12 E63, E55(sold), C32 (sold), '65 Skylark GS 445 convertible, '12 ML350
Originally Posted by NubyIz
Hi
After fixing the dodgy powr cable both headunits work. Anyone interested. Happy to part with one .

Cheers
Might be game... but waiting on a quote from a local shop that I have a lot of friends who know well and does insane work (think "ATL ballers"... i.e. rappers & Hawks & Falcons Lambo guys)... if I can get what I want from them for a fair price and not have to tear my car up at all, I'd rather go that route now. I've installed too many systems in my life (I just did one in my '65 GS last year - but that was nothing like this) and this time I might just pay up.

Would love to hear how your install goes though and if it's not too bad, that might ease things a bit.

Hopefully, you'll get the resolution too. If not, I'm sure someone on here will take care of it.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:35 AM

C219 CLS350
Hi,

Managed to install everything.
New quad core headunit.
6m powerharness to to back.
Radio Antenna
GPS antenna cable to car GPS antenna
Rear view camera, needed to patch cables to extend, Camera is in numberplate light, but needs power/signal from reverse light.
ODBII connector (not perm connected as it draws power directly from battery)
Recording camrea, connected but so far hidden under carpet, not sure where I want it placed.
Extra USB extension hidden behind carpet as well for now... might route into glovebox or front centre "ashtray"
Ext mic.
Also flashed latest Malaysk ROM.
All working.

Tricky parts where the rear seats of the CLS, they are individual and the inner clip needs a very string pull to pop up.
Also the rear view cam was tricky, the rear chrome panel at the trunk didnt want to come off. Ended up drilling a hole into the license plate light housing, desolder the cable form inside the camera, feed it through and resolder.
Rest was no problem, thanks to Xpresion's great write up and videos.

Now I have spare NTG1 system plus spare Quad core Android stereo LOL.
Might put them on eBay.
Old 09-20-2015, 01:33 PM

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
2016 E63s
I like where this is going. I hope you get the rest sorted.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:43 PM

Hi,

Managed to install everything.
New quad core headunit.
6m powerharness to to back.
Radio Antenna
GPS antenna cable to car GPS antenna
Rear view camera, needed to patch cables to extend, Camera is in numberplate light, but needs power/signal from reverse light.
ODBII connector (not perm connected as it draws power directly from battery)
Recording camrea, connected but so far hidden under carpet, not sure where I want it placed.
Extra USB extension hidden behind carpet as well for now... might route into glovebox or front centre "ashtray"
Ext mic.
Also flashed latest Malaysk ROM.
All working.

Tricky parts where the rear seats of the CLS, they are individual and the inner clip needs a very string pull to pop up.
Also the rear view cam was tricky, the rear chrome panel at the trunk didnt want to come off. Ended up drilling a hole into the license plate light housing, desolder the cable form inside the camera, feed it through and resolder.
Rest was no problem, thanks to Xpresion's great write up and videos.

Now I have spare NTG1 system plus spare Quad core Android stereo LOL.
Might put them on eBay.
Thanks for the update. Can you elaborate on the "patch cables to extend power" for rear view cam? I was thinking that because the battery is in the trunk, it would reach OK. here's the backup camera I purchased: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-R...214946520.html

And for the OBDII, does that mean that you'll only get a readout when you plug it in each time? I was thinking about going OBDII splitter, one for the car diagnostics, the other for wifi/internet (and just leave them plugged in all the time).

Also, did you have to buy any speaker wire for the install?

And lastly, did you check to see if 4g internet works, or is it only 3g?

thanks and glad to hear you're enjoying yours!

Last edited by tubaprde; 09-21-2015 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:16 AM

C219 CLS350
Hi,
Camera I got is:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/for-M...74_75,201409_2

My camera is replacing one of my license plate lights which is in the trunk.
The camera is connected to the power of the reverse light which is at the rear side.
that's about 2-3m. The power cable for the rear view camera is only 0.5m.
So I needed to extend it by adding some cable to the plus and minus line to reach the reverse light.

With the ODBII that is correct, only get read out when you plug it in.
I am considering inserting a relay intoi the ODBII case to enable power when I have ignition, avoids having o unplug it when I finished driving.

No speaker wired needed for my car, don't have the 7.1 HK system.. just standard 4 channel stereo amp.

Only connected to my home WIFI, don't use a 3g/4g dongle, will use my mobile with wifi sharing when needed.

Cheers
Old 09-22-2015, 08:40 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
'04 E55 AMG
Hi,
Camera I got is:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/for-M...74_75,201409_2

My camera is replacing one of my license plate lights which is in the trunk.
The camera is connected to the power of the reverse light which is at the rear side.
that's about 2-3m. The power cable for the rear view camera is only 0.5m.
So I needed to extend it by adding some cable to the plus and minus line to reach the reverse light.

With the ODBII that is correct, only get read out when you plug it in.
I am considering inserting a relay intoi the ODBII case to enable power when I have ignition, avoids having o unplug it when I finished driving.

No speaker wired needed for my car, don't have the 7.1 HK system.. just standard 4 channel stereo amp.

Only connected to my home WIFI, don't use a 3g/4g dongle, will use my mobile with wifi sharing when needed.

Cheers
Glad to hear you got this sorted. Care to share a video or two of your setup running? Thanks!
Old 09-22-2015, 03:31 PM

C219 CLS350
Originally Posted by das eighty
Glad to hear you got this sorted. Care to share a video or two of your setup running? Thanks!
I'm will do another time. Promise. Bit busy for next 4 weeks.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:49 PM

OK I'm doing the install with a audio install professional...

so far everything works except the dvr cam does not have power. edit: installer might have plugged the dvr usb cable into the incorrect usb slot...going to 2x check that soon. STEERING WHEEL BUTTONS WORK! Reverse cam works. We were getting feedback (engine noise) through the speakers. The installer thinks it's because of the amp Edit: we turned the gain on the amp down and that stopped the feedback.

Update: the 6disc CD dash buttons all work (heated/vented seats/hazard lights/ect) except the electronic tray movement is not operating. Does anyone's 6disc CD tray thing still electronically move out and up with the new HU? Or maybe the electric tray won't work without the oem HU?

Edit 2: to make the steering controls work you have to go into the factory settings menu, enter the passcode: 126, then select a tab that contains a drop-down menu for Canbus, and select one of the two "benz" settings. -Thanks Xpression!

Edit 3: Thus far the music/sound is noticeably better than stock. The bass seems twice as loud and the speakers don't distort at higher volumes like they did with the stock amp/HU... I'm very impressed with the sound. The fm/am reception (I used the oem antenna) sounds as clear as the stock HU. I have yet to test the sound quality of the Bluetooth but the car's oem mic works (I used the avin connector)... edit 4: gf says she here's herself echo on her cell when i'm on bluetooth...I may have to change the mic settings if possible? or maybe run the external mic instead, since it's probably more directional.

In summary I agree with Xpression... the unit is beautiful, it looks stock, it's seems well built, and there's no lag. Mine came loaded with a bunch of apps including torque, Google maps, and more. I will download waze, spotify, pandora, etc once I get a wifi hotspot for the car... At that point when I have everything working I'll take a long video for you guys.

I'm a very happy camper at this point!!!

Last edited by tubaprde; 10-04-2015 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:27 PM

'04 E55 AMG
Updates on thus tubaprde? Videos with Waze/Spotify working?

Thanks!
Old 10-14-2015, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by das eighty
Updates on thus tubaprde? Videos with Waze/Spotify working?

Thanks!
Yo...I've been swamped at work but will have videos up by this weekend, I promise!
Old 10-16-2015, 09:04 PM

OK OK OK As Promised...TEASER VIDEO!! W/GOOGLE MAPS, WAZE, HYPE MACHINE,

1st off big thanks to Xpresion...he helped me out a lot along the way... For the video: I started out by loading a bunch of apps and leaving them open and then playing with other apps such as Hype Machine (kinda like spotify--I don't have a spotify account). I then opened google maps navigation by telling the HU to "take me to Los Angeles"....well you get the point. I had a bunch of apps going at once and there's no lag. It's damn fast and smooth. I also point out how the volume steering controls work. I could not show you how the dial/hangup steering wheel controls work (via bluetooth to iphone) while recording video because that would have stopped my video...but that works fine too. Also when playing bluetooth music via your phone the skip to next track buttons work on the steering wheel too. The HU is running the software it came with. I've got a tone of apps on there and it loads in just under 30 seconds from cold boot. Rear camera works immediately.... ok ok on to the 9min teaser..... I love this thing:

P.S. My obdII scanner for torque pro never worked for me so I'm awaiting shipment from amazon for a $24 one that has great reviews. I opened the app anyway and left it on in the background along with the others.

I finally just installed the $4 OEM gps connector cord (forgot to order that part to begin with) so now my NAV works. My at&t OBDII wifi hotspot is up and running too, it works fantastically. I pay about $25/mo for 3gb/mo.

also I'm still learning how android works....i've been an apple user until I got this thing so please forgive my clumsiness.

the alpine amp 4x100 and 1x500 is overkill but the stock speakers sound a lot cleaner and louder (had to run the amp at 1/2 gain). I'm running the oem mic and that sucks for some reason. I'm going to install the aftermarket mic instead. Hopefully more directional?

other issues: like i said next track steering wheel buttons work if playing from bluetooth music via phone on Spotify app or other music apps but I have not gotten the next track buttons to work if i'm running a music app on the HU. The regular radio on the HU works with "next track" however, i forgot to show that in the film. EDIT: After watching Xpresion's video on his ROM upgrade/replacement I learned that "next track" steering wheel buttons CAN be enabled if I download another operating system.

and another issue: no AM radio, dunno why and looking into, wire might not be plugged in. In the mean time i've downloaded an FM/AM app and find that I like even more than regular radio as you can play specific shows from favorite radio stations on demand (and live), kinda like podcasting. FM radio sound quality reception is same as before.

Last edited by tubaprde; 10-20-2015 at 11:47 PM.
Old 10-17-2015, 09:28 AM

Wow that's sweet. nice job.
Old 10-17-2015, 07:05 PM

'04 E55 AMG
Dude, this is fantastic. Thank you so much for recording it. It's nice to see even with the factory ROM, that it still performs great. This just made its way to the top of the priority list, its frustrating having an old, almost worthless COMAND in my 04.

What do you mean exactly when you mention the AT&T OBDII wifi hotspot? Is there a special wifi hotspot that plugs into the OBDII port, or do you just have a small hotspot puck in your vehicle?

Thank you again.
Old 10-17-2015, 10:10 PM

Nah, you buy it from AT&T and a data plan too. I got mine for free and signed with a two year contract. 3gb/mo for 25 bucks per month, device for free. (I get a 20% discount via work). Normally 3gb/mo is 30 bucks.

https://www.att.com/devices/zte/mobley.html

It hooks up to the obdII slot for power only. It shuts its self off after 30 min, 60 min, 120 min...whatever you want. It turns on when you have the car on. After about 25 to 30 seconds after turning on the car the HU is fully booted up, this device connects within a second or two.

However, if you have a data plan with your phone to enable hot-spot you can just use your phone to give the HU WIFI. You can alternatively go with a hotspot like jetback from verizon...I thought about that option, however it requires one to turn it off/on when ever you get in/out of the car, which I think wasn't the best option for me.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:09 PM

CLS/cayenne S/M3 convert
any one in south Florida looking to install one these unit for me

I am very interested in ordering this but would need help install not looking tear my car

Originally Posted by tubaprde
Nah, you buy it from AT&T and a data plan too. I got mine for free and signed with a two year contract. 3gb/mo for 25 bucks per month, device for free. (I get a 20% discount via work). Normally 3gb/mo is 30 bucks.

https://www.att.com/devices/zte/mobley.html

It hooks up to the obdII slot for power only. It shuts its self off after 30 min, 60 min, 120 min...whatever you want. It turns on when you have the car on. After about 25 to 30 seconds after turning on the car the HU is fully booted up, this device connects within a second or two.

However, if you have a data plan with your phone to enable hot-spot you can just use your phone to give the HU WIFI. You can alternatively go with a hotspot like jetback from verizon...I thought about that option, however it requires one to turn it off/on when ever you get in/out of the car, which I think wasn't the best option for me.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:31 PM

CLS/cayenne S/M3 convert
I am very interested in ordering this but would need help install not looking tear my car up

Originally Posted by miraclewhip_cls
I am very interested in ordering this but would need help install not looking tear my car
Old 10-19-2015, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by miraclewhip_cls
I am very interested in ordering this but would need help install not looking tear my car up
For what it's worth the estimates I got for the complete install ranged from 450 to $900. I kinda wished I tried to do it myself first, however, it would have taken me 4x as long. It's a 7 to 9 hour job from a guy who's not some hack, depending on how much extra stuff you want.

If you get an estimate tell them everything is plug and play.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:26 PM

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
2016 E63s
Oh man thats awesome! I make this part of my winter project.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:21 AM

After market Android 4.4.4 Quad Core complete install. Vids and Pics and txt-image-393304011.jpg

Got both the wifi hotspot and diagnostic box working at the same time--hooked to the obdII slot via an obdII splitter... Here's a pick. next i'm going to secure them with duck tape or some kind of adhesive out of the way

Last edited by tubaprde; 10-21-2015 at 12:39 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: After market Android 4.4.4 Quad Core complete install. Vids and Pics and txt