Dash and Electrical Systems Failure E55 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 04:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 W211 E55 AMG
Dash and Electrical Systems Failure E55 AMG

Hi Guys,
I own a W211 E55 AMG. 134,000kms and well looked after.I started her up, drove out the driveway and noticed something was not right!

The car started normally, first click of the key the dash came on, all lights etc like normal. Car started just fine.....but once running I noticed the dash was out. Everything off including the speedo, fuel level and engine temp bars not illuminated...upon further investigation established that even turn indicators, electric steering wheel raise/lower, electric seats, aircon, fan blower etc all would not work. Car was however running and I could drive up the road. I pulled over, stopped engine. Started it again and same problem. Stopped the engine 2nd time. Put key to 'on' position, everything normal, turn indicators working, seat working etc.....start car and everything electric

Anybody got any ideas where I should start looking for this? It tells me 'no malfunction' even! Fuses? Battery? Is this a common issue perhaps?

Any help would be much appreciated. I'd like to resolve this myself if possible before just taking the car to mechanic

Last edited by Pannymix; 03-15-2021 at 04:44 AM.
Old 12-19-2015, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
I would start by pulling a replugging all the fuses to ensure contact. Maybe someone else can tell you which one to look at. You'll have to reset the windows n stuff.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:40 PM
Banned

Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts
Use Star Diagnosis to read out fault codes and you know exactly what is wrong instead of pulling fuses and what not like a maniac. There is a good reason why our cars have this capability.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
Originally Posted by Mackhack
Use Star Diagnosis to read out fault codes and you know exactly what is wrong instead of pulling fuses and what not like a maniac. There is a good reason why our cars have this capability.

That does make more sense doesn't it. I guess the backwoods fend for yourself mentality runs deep.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:14 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'06 E55
I had a similar problem a few month back. It ended up being the little circuit board in the key had slid just a little ways back from the tip of the key. I pulled the key apart and pushed the board all the way in after cleaning the inside tip and red window with a q-tip. No problems since.
Old 12-20-2015, 03:17 PM

2003 W211 E55 AMG
Thanks All

Hi Guys,

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts, all were really appreciated.

I used the car in the weekend and encountered the same problems to varying degrees of electronics outage. A few starts things were 100% normal. A few starts the dash and some functions dropped out. Interestingly, when I had a start which was problematic, I would turn the engine off, take the key out, rotate it 180 degrees, put it back in and the car would thereafter start normally.
If I did not rotate the key then the restart would always have issues.

So this is looking like it has a relationship to the key. Tonight I'll get the spare key out of the safe and will make sure that's working OK before taking the problematic key apart for a little look.

Aside, I had both batteries checked and they are both OK.

I'll let you know the result.

Thanks again,

Last edited by Pannymix; 03-15-2021 at 04:41 AM.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:22 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 E63AMG
I had a similar issue a few years ago. I started the car, had no dash indications whatsoever, no turn signals, no lights, etc. It happened at work and I drove it home that way, car ran fine other than the no dash and seemingly all electronics systems in the car down. I was pretty uncomfortable driving it that way. Car was under warranty so I had it towed to the dealer. They checked it out and replaced the key socket on the dash. When I picked up the car at the dealer the key had to be recognized by the car and mated up to it ( car did this automatically when I put the key in). This only worked for the first key I used. When I tried to use my other key the car did not recognize it at all. To this day I still have only one key, it is on my short list to take a ride to the dealer ( an hour away) and get a second key. Make sure if you have this done when you pick up the car bring ALL of your keys and make sure they still work before you leave the dealer. GL.
Old 12-21-2015, 03:40 PM

2003 W211 E55 AMG
Thanks Verminator, seems that your issue is exactly what I have. Reassuring to know it's something someone else has had and resolved.
I got my spare key from the safe and have been using the car yesterday and today with no problems.
The original key I was using is definitely problematic, if I use that key the dash and electronics still drop out. I've also noticed that the car doesn't recognise that bad key sometimes as it doesn't grrrrr and release to enable the key to turn. I'll attempt to dismantle it and take a look to see if it's something I can solder, otherwise I'll also put 'new key' on the to do list......perhaps Santa will bring me one??

Cheers guys

Last edited by Pannymix; 03-15-2021 at 04:42 AM.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'06 E55
Try the tip I gave above before buying a new key
Old 12-22-2015, 12:33 AM

2005 E55 AMG Renntech ST 5, 84 500sec AMG, 87 560sec
So if your blower does not work and lights keep flickering.. turn your heated seats button on , see if the lights start to blink.. if they do blink but no steady on , replace your aux battery located under the hood , passenger side by the firewall .
Old 12-22-2015, 02:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by dzauto77
So if your blower does not work and lights keep flickering.. turn your heated seats button on , see if the lights start to blink.. if they do blink but no steady on , replace your aux battery located under the hood , passenger side by the firewall .
Nope that battery only provides a stable supply to the SBC pump. It's not used for any of the normal consumer systems
Old 12-22-2015, 04:50 PM

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
W211 E55 2003
Originally Posted by AMGPilot
Nope that battery only provides a stable supply to the SBC pump. It's not used for any of the normal consumer systems
Aux battery provides power to the whole car in case the main battery/ electrical failure and is swiched on ny the BCM. BCM also shuts off consumers so that sbc works as long as possible. But the reason of the aux battery is safety so that sbc keeps working as long as possible in case of elecrical problems

http://bayhas.com/mercedes/w211/contents/INDEX.htm

->electrical->battery
Old 12-22-2015, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by Elhonaz
Aux battery provides power to the whole car in case the main battery/ electrical failure and is swiched on ny the BCM. BCM also shuts off consumers so that sbc works as long as possible. But the reason of the aux battery is safety so that sbc keeps working as long as possible in case of elecrical problems

http://bayhas.com/mercedes/w211/contents/INDEX.htm

->electrical->battery
and on that page it states this

"Tasks and function of the two batteries:

• The battery in the trunk supplies the on-board electrical system in normal operation.
• The additional battery is a short-time backup for the power supply in the event of the on-board system battery failing."

IE it powers the SBC and only works when when the Main battery and alternator are not functioning
Old 07-03-2018, 07:20 AM

2006 e350
I had the same intermittent electrical issues as the OP. Took it to an independent who said it was a relay so they replaced it. That did not fix it. Found this thread, took my key apart and found that the IR transmitter (a 1 cm round, copper-wound tube at the bottom of the circuit board) had loosened from the circuit board. Glued it back down and, viola, no more problems. Great forum.