Vibration in park 1800-2200rpm

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 07:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts
05 E55, 98 CLK320
Vibration in park 1800-2200rpm

What makes this happen? I rev the car up in that range and it shakes like a missfire. It has been happening since before I did sparkplugs/wires/mounts. I do have a welded ASP crank pulley that wobbles a tiny bit at idle, but I think this issue has happened to people with stock engines.

I simply can't find an asnwer for this some point to torque converter
Old 06-28-2018, 11:18 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 E55, 2009 VW GLI
Check your flex discs, center carrier, and driveshaft bearing for wear.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55, 98 CLK320
Originally Posted by O-55
Check your flex discs, center carrier, and driveshaft bearing for wear.
All those have been replaced with OEM at a reputable shop (Werner's in Tarpon Springs FL)

The car did it before they were replaced, and after. I got everything done there.

Only thing I can think of is either I have internal damage, or my crank pulley is actually the culprit, or the torque converter.

I'm planning on doing the tranny mount again friday even though it was done at a shop, could be that they did it wrong and it ripped.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:36 AM

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
I believe I read somewhere that this is fairly normal for cars with larger crank pulleys. Not sure if I could find it again though.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55, 98 CLK320
Like I said the pulley does wobble but I had it looked at by 2 mechanics, they both said "that's not bad I've seen worse" and because it's a welded pulley I figured it's normal.

I don't mind the vibration for as long as it's not something that's very destructive to the engine, if it's the pulley.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:37 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
1990 300ce supercharged and intercooled
Transmission mount. Super common. They are also easy and cheap to replace.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55, 98 CLK320
Originally Posted by whipplem104
Transmission mount. Super common. They are also easy and cheap to replace.
You think so? That would be the cause of the wobble in Park?
Old 06-29-2018, 02:07 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by MACEDON
You think so? That would be the cause of the wobble in Park?
It won't be the cause of the pulley wobble, is that is what you're asking. Like I said, every aftermarket crank pulley I have seen wobbles.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55, 98 CLK320
Originally Posted by Davednconfused
It won't be the cause of the pulley wobble, is that is what you're asking. Like I said, every aftermarket crank pulley I have seen wobbles.
No, I guess I used the wrong word.. wobbling as in the car is wobbling lol.

I meant this: You think the car shaking is a product of a bad tranny mount? I'll definitely be changing it if it's not raining later this afternoon it's next on my list
Old 06-29-2018, 02:38 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by MACEDON
No, I guess I used the wrong word.. wobbling as in the car is wobbling lol.

I meant this: You think the car shaking is a product of a bad tranny mount? I'll definitely be changing it if it's not raining later this afternoon it's next on my list
Ah okay I gotcha. Yeah I can see that having an effect. These cars eat mounts with the torque so I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if that was your issue.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:40 AM
SPONSOR

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts
AMG's, CTS-V's, SRT's
Mounts will not cause a vibration. Only parts that are in motion can cause a vibration. In park, only the engine and some transmission parts are responsible for the vibration.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:42 AM
SPONSOR

AMG's, CTS-V's, SRT's
I suggest pulling the crank pulley and start the car and see if the vibration goes away
Old 07-02-2018, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55, 98 CLK320
I think I'm gonna have to. I'm looking for a replacement stock size pulley currently
Old 07-03-2018, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Creative Steel
Mounts will not cause a vibration. Only parts that are in motion can cause a vibration. In park, only the engine and some transmission parts are responsible for the vibration.
I am sorry but this is simply misleading. All engines vibrate. Period. How that effects the vehicle is based on a whole bunch of sciency stuff. Some of which is in the mounts and angle and stuff I do not understand. Maybe some harmonicas too>
Seriously though. Please put a trans mount in the car. It is cheap and easy. And if it is not it then big deal. They are easy to check as well. See if the cross bar going through the mount is bottomed out or near bottomed out. This issues is really well known and I personally have probably replaced hundreds of transmission mounts for vibrations on cold start high idle. The first one of these we ever saw way back in like 2001 in an s class shook so bad you could not see out of the mirrors. It was under warranty and we replaced a tone of parts before we figured it out. I would not have believed it myself had I not seen or felt it.
Can I say this is your exact problem. No I am not there. But like I said cheap and easy.
Also if your crank pulley was so out of balance that it shook the car then it would be pretty obvious. Most likely because it would fly out of the hood as the front of the crank broke off. Also factory balancers failed by the thousand and thousands and not one customer complained that their car had a vibration from it.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:35 AM
SPONSOR

AMG's, CTS-V's, SRT's
Originally Posted by whipplem104
I am sorry but this is simply misleading. All engines vibrate. Period. How that effects the vehicle is based on a whole bunch of sciency stuff. Some of which is in the mounts and angle and stuff I do not understand. Maybe some harmonicas too>
Seriously though. Please put a trans mount in the car. It is cheap and easy. And if it is not it then big deal. They are easy to check as well. See if the cross bar going through the mount is bottomed out or near bottomed out. This issues is really well known and I personally have probably replaced hundreds of transmission mounts for vibrations on cold start high idle. The first one of these we ever saw way back in like 2001 in an s class shook so bad you could not see out of the mirrors. It was under warranty and we replaced a tone of parts before we figured it out. I would not have believed it myself had I not seen or felt it.
Can I say this is your exact problem. No I am not there. But like I said cheap and easy.
Also if your crank pulley was so out of balance that it shook the car then it would be pretty obvious. Most likely because it would fly out of the hood as the front of the crank broke off. Also factory balancers failed by the thousand and thousands and not one customer complained that their car had a vibration from it.
Im not sure why this is so misleading? A part that is not in motion CANNOT cause a vibration. Someone suggested that the flex discs are causing his vibration in park which is simply not true. Now i believe you have a very good point that the trans mount can TRANSMIT vibration while in park if bad.

MACEDON- If you are looking into buying a transmission mount you can check out our poly units if you decide to go that route.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:08 AM

I know what you are saying. It is not the source of the vibration. Maybe. It could be magnifying the vibration though through a harmonic. Or simply not isolating it as it should. So if the engine is always vibrating and the mounts isolate it and the mounts are bad and not isolating it and now the car is vibrating. You would not say that the mounts are not the cause of the vibration because they are not in motion. Nor would you say that if you put a bed plate in the car and solid mounted the engine to the chassis that the car should not vibrate at all and if it does to start replacing parts on the engine that are perfectly fine to solve this issue. Like I said all engines vibrate. They have a natural imbalance. Some worse than others.
Why the trans mount causes a vibration the way it does is very strange to me but it does and my best guess is that at the 1100-1800 range give or take the natural engine vibrations are worse, the mount picks up a harmonic, or the angle has something to do with it. But I would say that the mount is the cause of the vibration in the car.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:39 AM
SPONSOR

AMG's, CTS-V's, SRT's
I agree, every vehicle will have a RPM that the engine starts to have harmonics. Usually the transmission mount with transmit a higher frequency vibration which is more like a noise then a vibration. Sometimes the trans mount will look fine if you have not seen what a new one is supposed to look like. Here is an example we have taken to show the difference.