Sponsored by:

Kill Story: 2 Cobras

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 10:59 AM

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
cls55 amg
Kill Story: 2 Cobras

Hey guys I have another one for your entertainment.
Last night I was leaving a hockey game in Tampa with the gf and another couple and as we were heading back across the Bay on the local land bridge, where all the fun happens, we ran across an 09-10'ish White Mustang Cobra convertible.
It was a bit ironic as on the way to the game my friends gf was mentioning how she wanted to go out to the races or be in the car for a race one day. That being said when we pulled up to the Cobra my friend started egging me on to get the guy to race so I obliged him. We end up rolling next to each other at about 60 mph as we approach the traffic light at about the halfway point. Just as we reach the light we both punch it, the 55 takes the jump and keeps pulling. I shut it down around 115 and probably 2-3 cars ahead because the car started getting a horrible wobble (which I've traced down to the wider tires I had installed yesterday).
Cobra number two appears at the gas station we stopped at after the bridge. As we started to pull out I noticed a black 09-10ish cobra hard top pull up behind me and my friend mentioned that he saw the guy checking out the AMG the whole time we were there. I pulled out and drove at normal speed and as soon as the black Cobra pulled out he hammered it past me. I sped up a little to stay with him but we were in traffic so I wasnt looking to do anything too crazy. A little way down the road he slows down and signals out his window to follow him onto a local highway. All of my passengers (except my gf) were insisting we follow... So I did.
We pulled up next to each other at the light before the on ramp and chatted for a minute and agreed on a roll from 60. The light changed and we rolled up the ramp next to each other. As I was waiting to start the 3 count he punches it and takes the jump but I quickly followed and started reeling him in. At this point there was one empty lane between us and I started pulling past him until about 125 where again I shut it down because the car was wobbling/oscillating badly when I was on throttle. By 125 I had probably 2 cars on the Cobra.
Overall I was happy with the two runs especially considering I had 3 passengers in my car while the white cobra had 1 and the black one had none. I'm not sure how much power those Cobras make but thats two more solid kills for the ol' AMG.

Last edited by romeomikehotel; 01-20-2016 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
shrimp boat
Those Cobras barks more than bites. I used to raced a local cobra here that made 620whp and we were side by side. I don't know, something about those Cobras, gotta be the gearing or aero?
Old 01-20-2016, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 MB E55 AMG
The term "Cobra" only applies to mustangs up through 2004. After that, they are referred to as Shelby GT500s.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts
2004 E55.98 SS Camaro.Jetta TDI. Expedition
They run mid 12's and trap 115 or so. They have extream traction problems and don't perform well for a 500+ hp car. Many longtime mustang owners have said it is the hardest car to drive and perform well. They are over geared.3.73 rear. Yet at the track they trail in the 1/8 mile to cars that trap 110. They win in the end. From your races it sounds like neither cobra had a pulley and tune that would be rare. This is one of the few cars you may really want to pick on down low. You are one of the few people that have a 77mm pulley only and that's the direction I'm going.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:36 AM

cls55 amg
Originally Posted by Ls1toAMG
They run mid 12's and trap 115 or so. They have extream traction problems and don't perform well for a 500+ hp car. Many longtime mustang owners have said it is the hardest car to drive and perform well. They are over geared.3.73 rear. Yet at the track they trail in the 1/8 mile to cars that trap 110. They win in the end. From your races it sounds like neither cobra had a pulley and tune that would be rare. This is one of the few cars you may really want to pick on down low. You are one of the few people that have a 77mm pulley only and that's the direction I'm going.
Interesting to hear. I definitely thought there was a chance I would lose to one of them. Soon I think I'll be going with the ebay longtubes and probably call it quits on the go fast mods but that should be enough to take down 99% of what I come across.

On a side note, I put new tires on the other day (295s) and I'm getting something like the wobble all the other threads have addressed before but I only get it at speeds above 70 and only when I go WOT. Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can deal with it other than getting a new set of tires?
Old 01-21-2016, 03:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG
I have an 05 e55 with e63 p030 wheels that are 9.5" rear and 8.5" front. i have one size wider than stock e55 wheel (255/40/18 in front and 275/35/18 on rear) I too have wobble over 70mph trying to figure out. I am in St. Pete. I also have a tcu that I was looking for another car to test it on. Takes 5 min to install.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
couple of Benzos
I think headers are the best mod you can do on 55's that was my first mod I later on added the 77mm pulley and some other goodies which made the car into a beast. As for the shake I had a similar problem and I run 305's in my case It turned out to be a defective Tire which can only be diagnosed properly with a Road Force Balance
Old 01-21-2016, 05:50 PM

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
04 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by romeomikehotel
Interesting to hear. I definitely thought there was a chance I would lose to one of them. Soon I think I'll be going with the ebay longtubes and probably call it quits on the go fast mods but that should be enough to take down 99% of what I come across.

On a side note, I put new tires on the other day (295s) and I'm getting something like the wobble all the other threads have addressed before but I only get it at speeds above 70 and only when I go WOT. Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can deal with it other than getting a new set of tires?

Check your motor mounts. They can easily cause rough idle and wobble going down the highway.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:48 PM

cls55 amg
I should clarify this is more than just a wobble. This is like the whole rear end of the car is swaying hard side to side. Feels like each lean is about to bottom out the rear wheel in the fender well.
I know it's tire related as it happened immediately after I put different tires on the back. The good news is that I'm thinking the tires might not have been seated correctly because after putting a few miles on them and a few quick burnouts the problem has gotten a bit better.
Old 01-24-2016, 03:44 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon, 2017 C63S Cab, 1986 560SL
Wednesday nights - Showtime drag strip in Clearwater (1/8th mile). Bring your AMG's down. I race a couple times a month. Only brought the E55 once, but it was fun (particularly since it is a wagon). Ran pretty consistent 8.5s and hung with the Mustangs, etc.

Usually I bring my SL65, which has major traction issues (it isn't the best prepared track). Best of 7.7.