Sponsored by:

sbc accumulator

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 09:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
04 E55
sbc accumulator

Recently changed my pads and noticed that the buzzing and sbc pump noise has increased quite a bit after the change. I think there is some correlation between pump run time and the accumulator pressure. From range rover forums since they use a similar system

As noted in ABS Pump and Accumulator Diagnostics, if your pump runs too long (more than about 45 seconds) after engine startup, the most likely (but not only possible) problem is the accumulator developing a slight leak.

Does anyone know if we need to depressurize the system? Doesn't look like the RR guys do it.

http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdet...cumulator.html
Old 02-02-2016, 08:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 AMG E55
Originally Posted by rog2961
Recently changed my pads and noticed that the buzzing and sbc pump noise has increased quite a bit after the change. I think there is some correlation between pump run time and the accumulator pressure. From range rover forums since they use a similar system

As noted in ABS Pump and Accumulator Diagnostics, if your pump runs too long (more than about 45 seconds) after engine startup, the most likely (but not only possible) problem is the accumulator developing a slight leak.

Does anyone know if we need to depressurize the system? Doesn't look like the RR guys do it.

http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdet...cumulator.html
You will need a star system to service it. If the BRAKE service light does not come on but it's starting to act up I would have it check just incase with the start system. My car had the same problems that you are describing and it was accumulator the light came on shortly after the same symptoms your describing. I found them as cheap as 200 bucks. Good Luck!
Old 02-02-2016, 07:53 PM
J J

Originally Posted by FLE55AMG
You will need a star system to service it. If the BRAKE service light does not come on but it's starting to act up I would have it check just incase with the start system. My car had the same problems that you are describing and it was accumulator the light came on shortly after the same symptoms your describing. I found them as cheap as 200 bucks. Good Luck!
Where do you get the accumlator that cheap and what is the install like?

Took my car in under warranty befor it expired in october and was told the pump was ok (wich is covered) but the accumulator was bad (not covered).
Old 02-02-2016, 08:09 PM
J J

Ok, found it on ebay for $190.

How do you depressure the syestem? Says warning dont remove?
Old 02-03-2016, 08:16 AM

04 E55
That's what im not sure of. It appears some were able to remove without star.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:44 PM

2006 AMG E55
Originally Posted by J J
Where do you get the accumlator that cheap and what is the install like?

Took my car in under warranty befor it expired in october and was told the pump was ok (wich is covered) but the accumulator was bad (not covered).
It seems like the Accumlator is a service item My last benz that's for sure
Old 02-03-2016, 01:50 PM

04 E55
It seems like the Accumlator is a service item My last benz that's for sure
I don't have to be scared when braking in my other car.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:09 PM

2006 AMG E55
Originally Posted by rog2961
I don't have to be scared when braking in my other car.
Right?
Old 02-04-2016, 07:26 AM

04 E55
Did you notice any difference after swapping it out?
Old 02-04-2016, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Mercedes Benz E55 AMG
I'm having this same issue, I was hoping it was my sbc pump. I'd be really interested on seeing if anybody has done it themselves before and what the differences were after getting it replaced.

Assuming there is a valve that closes to keep the pressure in the accumulator, does anybody know if the valve is in the pump or in the accumulator? If it's in the accumulator could we just unscrew it, swap it out and add some brake fluid as it will get pumped back in there? It might make a mess but that's kind of how it worked on my buddy's NSX as they have a similar issue with their ABS system.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:31 AM

04 E55
Originally Posted by kleeb55
I'm having this same issue, I was hoping it was my sbc pump. I'd be really interested on seeing if anybody has done it themselves before and what the differences were after getting it replaced.

Assuming there is a valve that closes to keep the pressure in the accumulator, does anybody know if the valve is in the pump or in the accumulator? If it's in the accumulator could we just unscrew it, swap it out and add some brake fluid as it will get pumped back in there? It might make a mess but that's kind of how it worked on my buddy's NSX as they have a similar issue with their ABS system.

I gathered the same from the RR forums. Many mention of de pressurizing, but if the accumulator is broken, its not holding pressure regardless.