Sponsored by:

Selling my Black 2005... check out the custom lights I made

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 03:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
w211 e55 amg
Selling my Black 2005... check out the custom lights I made

Hey all, long time lurker, I don't really post..

I am finally selling my beloved 211-55 and probably moving on from w211's. The reason I am posting is, this is on CL in Phoenix, so if ya know someone here that wants one let them know!!

Also, I did the custom lights about three years ago and didn't really want to do any more like it. I never bothered to post this here because of that. So what does the crowd think? If you're interested read on..

So these lights are obviously opened and painted black.. I put in optically clear lenses in the projectors and Osram 6000k bulbs on the outer primary lights. I went nuts and got the idea that the small, inner high beam/park lamp housing from cheap eBay black housing lights would allow the same size projector lens with some shroud cutting and sure as ****.. i gambled and it came out mint.. these are still fully functional high beam flashers with white LED in the park lights and I added a switchback turn signals so the inner lights are white and then switch to amber with the turn signal. No additional wiring on the outside, all is done on the inside.

You can run Quad Lo/Hi Projectors if you want like this, or just high beam off the normal wiring.. or no projectors and just use the lens which is what I am doing here. Switchback turns are able to be run with all those scenarios too. I took out the full custom mounted inner projector setup since i am selling the car.

If anyone has interest PM me.. Also, if you are patient and feel like having your lights done like this, I can do it for you but it will take a week and the car will be off the road.

Heres the link to the cars CL ad, I don't think this is a rule break since there is only a vendor not a FSBO section.. http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/cto/5772605397.html

Hope you guys like the pics, I don't have a pic/vid showing the turn switchback, if there is interest ill take one and post it.
Dom

The following users liked this post:
TheTherapist (09-10-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 05:31 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
05 E55 AMG
Love the lights!
Old 09-09-2016, 07:47 AM

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts
E63 AMG 2007
Nice job, how about DIY post, before you move on that is.

Just looked at your ad, really like what you did, if mechanically sound a great deal too.

Last edited by Dublinoh; 09-09-2016 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Praise the for sale car lol
Old 09-09-2016, 09:05 AM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
2005 E55
Do you have any details on how you wired the BT puck to the aux input?
Old 09-09-2016, 04:42 PM

w211 e55 amg
Thanks ss.Dna and Dublinoh... Yes, its mechanically sound... I recently replaced the SC Pulley, water pump, k&n filters, both batteries, starter and alternator.. so its ready to rock.

I actually wasn't even going to post this at all.. was an afterthought until last night I was reading some Porsche threads on a different forum and thought that I should post it...

@Hotsauce... The BT Puck can be wired any number of ways depending on which one you get. I recommend the Kinivo BT455 which is what I have in there.. Its cheap on Amazon but good quality and if you mount it in the ashtray or where I mounted it, it won't have background echo from the car stereo speakers.

The Kinivo 455 comes with a 3.5mm extension which for our cars is quite useful if you don't want to pull the aux out of the glovebox. I pulled mine because I thought it was useless in there anyway these days. And it is such a pain in the *** to push the wiring all the way up into the glove box.

What you need to do is pull the shifter, then the ashtray, then pull the center console. If you want it inside the ashtray then you only need to pull the shifter and the ashtray out. After that pull the lower control panel underneath the Comand and then the Comand unit itself.. on the back of the Comand you will see the black Aux chord.. make sure to disconnect the aux from the glove box housing before, and then you should just be able to pull it through from behind the dash.

Once you get it out, then you will have plenty of chord length to mount the BT Puck with.. If you want to mount it on the shifter then I suggest you pull the center console and then remove the tub in the console to get to fish the BT wire through the gap between the tub and the console frame.. The easy way is just to wire it through the shifter panel but that is not advisable because that is such a tight fit that it may kink or crimp the wire of the puck. Its better if you just mount it through the console.

Also, once you fish the wire all the way out, you can either get power from either of cig lighter wiring in the dash or the backseat which is underneath the console. I did mine that way, its much easier to work with that wiring rather then the tight space and short length under the front ashtray. You don't want to clip the power on the BT Puck to splice the wiring into the cig wiring.. go to your local auto parts store and get a female cig lighter housing with wire leads specifically for wiring extra power or extra cig lighter socket, the store should have them. Then plug the male/power of the BT puck into that after you wire it up to the cig lighter which is conveniently right underneath the console and there is room to just let the male and female connection drop and lay there too.

ProTip----- Always use the cig lighter wiring for radars, or little accessory power, or use it to power on a relay for bigger power loads.. The reason for that is.. that is one of the only circuits in todays modern cars that is designed to have a variable amperage (to a certain maximum) and power load due to various consumer accessories being powered through it. Don't splice into a +/- for power on anything else.. in all cars these days, every circuit is optimized for cost down to the wire size and length and amperage and voltage is controlled by the CANBus, so if you add load to a random circuit, it may be able to cheat but typically, something bad will happen and you don't want bad things to happen to these cars, its expensive.

If all this is greek and the car doesn't sell, maybe ill take it apart for y'all and do a DIY write up on it.. I can't do a DIY on the lights, unless someone wants me to do theirs for them, thats just too much work for a DIY

Last edited by indy500driver; 09-09-2016 at 04:58 PM.
Dublinoh (09-10-2016)
Old 09-10-2016, 12:18 PM
DVC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
'06 E55 AMG
Great info!

May I ask what you used in place of the in-dash CD player? Is there an OEM compartment that fits, or did you use something else?

Thanks!
Old 09-10-2016, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon
I love the lights. GLWS!!!
Old 09-10-2016, 03:08 PM

w211 e55 amg
Thanks jcjmw and thanks for the GL

@DVC part number is 2116830091 which I recommend Amazon or a dealer that is part of the parts network that discounts for online direct to consumer purchases..

Here is where I got mine since they are local to me: http://www.mbpartscenter.com/mercede...part_name=tray
DVC (09-10-2016)
Old 09-10-2016, 04:51 PM
DVC
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by indy500driver
Here is where I got mine since they are local to me: http://www.mbpartscenter.com/mercede...part_name=tray
Awesome, thank you Sir!
Old 09-10-2016, 05:28 PM

w211 e55 amg
Originally Posted by DVC
Great info!

May I ask what you used in place of the in-dash CD player? Is there an OEM compartment that fits, or did you use something else?

Thanks!
@DVC....

One thing that is crucial to the cd changer removal; you need to reconnect the fibre optic input and output of the changer in order for the whole system to work.

I did this by getting a 1/8 inch inner diameter flexible but somewhat rigid vacuum tube line form auto zone cut to about 1 or 2 inches in length. Then you literally put both ends in it and make sure they are snug and tight.. you could also use a 1 inch length nylon washer/spacer for $1 at Ace Hardware but you must make sure the lines are snugly in. You can use anything that will allow insertion of the two line ends and hold them in so they point into one another. Basically think of this as a bypass and you'll get it. Hell you could probably get away with using a regular sized drinking straw even but it can't bend the connection, a metal drinking straw would work great but you gotta tape the lines in.

Since fiber optics are laser/light conducting.. as long as the two ends transmit the light into one another the system will not be "interrupted" and it will work as normal and without the ability to select the CD Changer in the Input section.. its a little bit "riggy" of a method.. but it beats driving to a Frys Electronics or specialty electronics store to find the right connector and its not wire or fluid, its light, so its a safe rig job to do and it will not harm the system, only display a malfunction or not available on the unit if it comes loose. I would not glue the lines in, just tape them with masking or scotch or electrical tape. I actually have no glue or tape on mine and it has been that way for a year w no connection issues.

Last edited by indy500driver; 09-10-2016 at 05:39 PM.
DVC (09-10-2016)
Old 09-10-2016, 06:12 PM

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
2004 W211 E55 AMG >>gone but not forgotten > W123 280E > W124 E280 > W126 380SE
Wicked job with the lights brother!
Old 09-10-2016, 09:33 PM
DVC
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by indy500driver
@DVC....

One thing that is crucial to the cd changer removal.
Indy- Ahhh I see! I meant to ask you about that.

Thank YOU for the awesome help and information!
Old 09-15-2016, 12:32 PM

w211 e55 amg
Originally Posted by TheTherapist
Wicked job with the lights brother!
Thank you Therapist