Sponsored by:

Help me keep my car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 04:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E55
Help me keep my car

if i cant figure out this problem i will be selling this car. My oil cooler line busted, dealer charged 1700$ to fix it and said motor mounts were shot and it put stress on the oil cooler line. I had the oil line fixed and i did the motor mounts myself. Well not even 1 month later im seeing oil splatter in my engine bay again. I was reading threads on how people eat up motor mounts so i used autozone motor mounts to see how well they would do. What im upset about is, this is the second time the oil cooler line has broken cause of the motor mount?! So everytime i need a new motor mount im going to need a new oil cooler line?! So im out another 2000$? Please tell me this is the dealers fault and not a horrible design from mercedes. My car only has 78K and im not going to keep this car if i have to buy a new oil cooler line everytime i tear a motor mount cause i drive an AMG like it should be driven. I checked the motor mounts and they were tight. my shifter moves under WOT and other threads pointed out that it is the motor mount.. i even changed the tranny mount to make sure that wasnt the issue and no change. please shed some light
Old 07-26-2017, 05:42 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 233 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
I think I remember seeing someone putting together a kit with -AN fittings so you could run stainless braided teflon lines and never worry about it again. Can you post pictures of the break?

How much time has elapsed? My dealer jumped straight back in when the transmission lines came out of the radiator not long after transmission rebuild and made a mess everywhere. I was happy paying consumables and a small portion of the replacement fluid.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:25 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
05 E55, 06 Audi S4
No experience with this issue, but I have not read of any other case like yours and people go through motor mounts left and right on these cars. I think you have a different problem.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:45 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
04 55
fabricate a solid mount or strap the engine so it will not twist under load
Old 07-26-2017, 01:54 PM

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
a unicorn tuned p30 e63
Originally Posted by gsean430
if i cant figure out this problem i will be selling this car. My oil cooler line busted, dealer charged 1700$ to fix it and said motor mounts were shot and it put stress on the oil cooler line. I had the oil line fixed and i did the motor mounts myself. Well not even 1 month later im seeing oil splatter in my engine bay again. I was reading threads on how people eat up motor mounts so i used autozone motor mounts to see how well they would do. What im upset about is, this is the second time the oil cooler line has broken cause of the motor mount?! So everytime i need a new motor mount im going to need a new oil cooler line?! So im out another 2000$? Please tell me this is the dealers fault and not a horrible design from mercedes. My car only has 78K and im not going to keep this car if i have to buy a new oil cooler line everytime i tear a motor mount cause i drive an AMG like it should be driven. I checked the motor mounts and they were tight. my shifter moves under WOT and other threads pointed out that it is the motor mount.. i even changed the tranny mount to make sure that wasnt the issue and no change. please shed some light
Years ago when i had my E55 i had this issue and man.......

Where you went wrong is putting autozone motor mounts in the car. Not saying that some of the cheaper stuff doesn't work but motor mounts are less than $280 and that's OEM. You have to remember these cars are heavy and have a lot of torque. That oil line is EXPENSIVE AF. I forget what i paid i think it was like $500 or better and it had to come from Germany. I am wrench savvy and had a friend help me who has his own shop and that line is difficult to install, difficult meaning it's annoying and time consuming to get it to route correctly. Put oem mounts on the car and replace the oil line at an Indy mechanic if you don't want to tackle it. You may be able to take the line off and take it to a hose shop and have them fix it. Good luck man
Old 07-26-2017, 02:07 PM
SPONSOR

Received 801 Likes on 571 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
aren't the factory motor mounts oil filled? if so i would only use OEM or OEM quality parts for this.

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com
Old 07-26-2017, 03:21 PM

Received 120 Likes on 96 Posts
2004 E55
Hit up Dave L @ Eurocharged-ATX in Austin. Get a set of his poly-filled motor mounts and strap both down with a rachet tie down strap.

Ask him if he has any of the AN fitting oil filter housing lines left. If you can get some your life will be a bunch easier.

I had had a busted line as well, I can see excess vibration causing too much stress on the pressed on fitting on the barb and could see that causing a leak.

The hoses are about $278-378ish new OEM if you cannot get the AN fitting ones from Dave.

Do not spend that $ at the dealer if you have done motor mounts... you have the ability, change that line man!
Old 07-26-2017, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 380 Likes on 323 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
I tried to strap down mine and just could not find a good spot to do it.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts
05 E55, 98 CLK320
Damn it so buying EC solid mounts isn't enough? I'll have to strap them down too? When does it end with this car...
Old 07-27-2017, 04:54 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 233 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ere-s-fix.html
There are a lot of rubber hose sections in the stock lines. Where do they leak? To me it seems there would have to be a huge amount of engine movement to break them or the fittings are a poor design...?
Old 07-28-2017, 12:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,503 Likes on 1,174 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
If the MB dealer put in the oil cooler lines and they broke, take it back to MB and have them fix it. All their work is covered by a 12 month/12k warranty at any MB dealer. I'd fix the motor mount first and you just go in saying you don't know what happened.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:12 PM

E55
Thanks for the reply everyone, i feel much better about the problem. I actually just bought new mounts from the dealer yesterday and put them in.. the oil cooler line leak seemed to have gone away somehow but im not complaining lol. Now i know i have options for the oil cooler line and polymounts i can sleep peacefully. It was hard to find but i found the thread on the custom oil cooler lines.. 🙂

okay new problem. Strapping down the motor mounts seems like a GREAT idea but i tried and tired yesterday and there really is just no room.. so i agree with the other member, there doesnt seem to be a good way to strap it down. But i have an idea
Old 07-28-2017, 02:22 PM

E55
Heres some picture of the mounts i tore comepletely in half.. seems like the passenger side mounts dont take alot of the beating..
^^^ this was the first set i broke when i first got the car.

This is the motor mounts from autozone that i broke with one hard launch.

Last edited by gsean430; 07-28-2017 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:46 PM

E55
i saw lots of reviews on youtube about torque strapping their engine and everyone has positive reviews and i think i might have found a good spot.

I was looking and if i were to run a rachet strap on the driver side supercharger bolt, i could even fit a 2 inch thick rachet strap down the side and even clear the exhaust manifold.

And simply hook the bottom of the frame. I took a picture last night and u can see where my strap is hanging.

Old 07-28-2017, 03:47 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
2004 E55
Strapping down the motor mounts

Here's another option by Chris (Latemodel21) to "strap down" the motor mounts (w/ part numbers listed in post).
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ml#post6769579