W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new owner E55. maintenance and repairs (valve cover / pulley...)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 09:59 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
new owner E55. maintenance and repairs (valve cover / pulley...)

Hey guys

Excited to join e55 family. Just bought new to me 110K mile 2005 e55. Long time ago I owned a C36. Glad to back to MB. Scary how the car seems slow and heavy if you are easy on the gas pedal but when you stomp the gas pedal it becomes a completely different animal. Very excited to get it running perfectly before trying to enjoy it fully.

As I always do with new to me cars I try to resolve any outstanding issues.

===== Valve cover maintenance ============
I am planning to get 2 genuine mercedes gaskets (113-016-02-21 and 113-016-03-21) as well as Mercedes sealant (003-989-98-20-10). While I am getting valve cover gaskets done I will also replace sparks plugs (ILF6RA) and spark plug wires (BREMI).
So my question is do I need to replace any breather hoses or whatever they are called. I saw that ECS sells the whole Stage2 Valve cover kit which includes gaskets, bolts, and hoses BUT it's for an older M113 motor (W210 E55 I guess). Is there something similar for M113K motors?

===== Harmonic Balance / Crank Pulley =======
Well its vibrating . Visually easy to see. I was planning to get MB OEM 113-030-01-03 crank pulley but I noticed different sites list different models for this pulley such as G55, SL55. I am assuming it works because they all run M113K motor. Is that true?
Also when replacing this pulley do you recommend replacing the bolt as well (part # 000-990-02-00) or is it reusable? Is there a gasket or anything else recommended to replace while its off?
Something else that I was thinking about. Maybe just getting Eurocharged Crank Pulley. Seems like for not much more money you get 42WHP. Since I am planning to replace the pulley anyways maybe this is a better option OR do I need to buy add'l supporting mods such as Tune, cooling upgrade and so on in order to take advantage of the Eurocharged crank pulley?

========= random stuff ========
Do rear door handles with keyless go go bad often? My front ones work fine (I touch it and it closes and opens) but rear ones seem dead.
Does the passenger mirror go down when you reverse?
Do these command units have Bluetooth connectivity? Can't seem to figure out how to connect the phone. Would love to stream iphone music.
Does anyone else think stock speakers are so so? My unit says ProLogic7 but the sounds is just ok.
Front left and right (by the door) air wents have the adjustment wheel pushed in. I think it suppose to stick out a little. Do I just replace the whole went or can fix it?
Is the driver mirror glass itself a little smaller than passenger or am I seeing things
Alarm lock / unlock could be sexier
How loud are the cars with stock exhaust around 70-80MPH? Mine seems to be a bit louder then I think it should be. Cruising wise.

Any answers are really appreciated. Will try to get some pics once I clean and register the car.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, CTS V
Ill take the first go on this. everything you have asked on here can and will be found by searching as lots of this is pretty common issues/questions. I will give you my short answers for what i can assist with.
I am planning to get 2 genuine mercedes gaskets (113-016-02-21 and 113-016-03-21) as well as Mercedes sealant (003-989-98-20-10). While I am getting valve cover gaskets done I will also replace sparks plugs (ILF6RA) and spark plug wires (BREMI).
So my question is do I need to replace any breather hoses or whatever they are called. I saw that ECS sells the whole Stage2 Valve cover kit which includes gaskets, bolts, and hoses BUT it's for an older M113 motor (W210 E55 I guess). Is there something similar for M113K motors?
If you can see any broken or visibly old things then by all means change it. Myself as im sure most people on here when doing the gaskets simply did the gaskets and nothing else.

Well its vibrating . Visually easy to see. I was planning to get MB OEM 113-030-01-03 crank pulley but I noticed different sites list different models for this pulley such as G55, SL55. I am assuming it works because they all run M113K motor. Is that true?
Also when replacing this pulley do you recommend replacing the bolt as well (part # 000-990-02-00) or is it reusable? Is there a gasket or anything else recommended to replace while its off?
Something else that I was thinking about. Maybe just getting Eurocharged Crank Pulley. Seems like for not much more money you get 42WHP. Since I am planning to replace the pulley anyways maybe this is a better option OR do I need to buy add'l supporting mods such as Tune, cooling upgrade and so on in order to take advantage of the Eurocharged crank pulley?
Nothing on this as ive never had any issues with my CP

Do rear door handles with keyless go go bad often? My front ones work fine (I touch it and it closes and opens) but rear ones seem dead. Keyless go in general goes bad. be happy that your driver door has not went bad.
Does the passenger mirror go down when you reverse? you can change those settings on the steering wheel through the gauge cluster
Do these command units have Bluetooth connectivity? Can't seem to figure out how to connect the phone. Would love to stream iphone music. Only if there is aftermarket stuff installed on it.
Does anyone else think stock speakers are so so? My unit says ProLogic7 but the sounds is just ok. I listen to my exhaust.
Front left and right (by the door) air wents have the adjustment wheel pushed in. I think it suppose to stick out a little. Do I just replace the whole went or can fix it?
Is the driver mirror glass itself a little smaller than passenger or am I seeing things
How loud are the cars with stock exhaust around 70-80MPH? Mine seems to be a bit louder then I think it should be. Cruising wise.

Welcome to the W211 E55!
Any answers are really appreciated. Will try to get some pics once I clean and register the car.[/QUOTE]
The following 2 users liked this post by brdaun:
patrick_y (12-19-2017), redc36 (12-18-2017)
Old 12-18-2017, 02:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05 E55, 02 540i/6
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by redc36
Hey guys

Excited to join e55 family. Just bought new to me 110K mile 2005 e55. Long time ago I owned a C36. Glad to back to MB. Scary how the car seems slow and heavy if you are easy on the gas pedal but when you stomp the gas pedal it becomes a completely different animal. Very excited to get it running perfectly before trying to enjoy it fully.

As I always do with new to me cars I try to resolve any outstanding issues.

Do rear door handles with keyless go go bad often? My front ones work fine (I touch it and it closes and opens) but rear ones seem dead.
Does the passenger mirror go down when you reverse?
Do these command units have Bluetooth connectivity? Can't seem to figure out how to connect the phone. Would love to stream iphone music.
Does anyone else think stock speakers are so so? My unit says ProLogic7 but the sounds is just ok.

Any answers are really appreciated. Will try to get some pics once I clean and register the car.

Well, the first thing I would suggest is although your very excited, be careful not to go and just start replacing everything that doesn't necessarily need to be changed.. yet i.e spark plug wires. Unless you have a huge bank account to support it, you will eventually end up far deeper into the car then was necessary. IDK just my 2 cents. From my understanding, a little bit of crank wobble is normal. Shardul stated about 7/10 cars will have some. Also if you plan on upgrading the crank pulley you will have to get a supporting tune, and a different sized belt. There is no bluetooth, but there is an AUX connector in your glovebox on top, which I use and works great. The stock exhaust from my understanding is one of the quietest AMG exhausts around, hence the reason why so many ppl end up changing out the mufflers to c63. You might have an exhaust leak, or somebody possibly modified by removing cats/resonators which is also another common mod. Like what was already stated by brdaun, just spend some time researching on this forum getting to know the ins and outs of your car and come up with a solid plan for it
The following users liked this post:
redc36 (12-21-2017)
Old 12-18-2017, 02:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Beefe55
Well, the first thing I would suggest is although your very excited, be careful not to go and just start replacing everything that doesn't necessarily need to be changed.. yet i.e spark plug wires. Unless you have a huge bank account to support it, you will eventually end up far deeper into the car then was necessary. IDK just my 2 cents. From my understanding, a little bit of crank wobble is normal. Shardul stated about 7/10 cars will have some. Also if you plan on upgrading the crank pulley you will have to get a supporting tune, and a different sized belt. There is no bluetooth, but there is an AUX connector in your glovebox on top, which I use and works great. The stock exhaust from my understanding is one of the quietest AMG exhausts around, hence the reason why so many ppl end up changing out the mufflers to c63. You might have an exhaust leak, or somebody possibly modified by removing cats/resonators which is also another common mod. Like what was already stated by brdaun, just spend some time researching on this forum getting to know the ins and outs of your car and come up with a solid plan for it
thanks for all the tips. I will try to post a video this weekend of the wobble. Maybe someone can confirm if it's normal or not.
I will do some more research on the spark plug wires. I don't think plugs/wires have ever been changed. I prefer just changing the plugs this way I save some $$$. The car does have 110K miles and plugs could be due for a change based on 100K intervals.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 930 Likes on 722 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ml#post7274609

With the miles on your car, you need to be inspect multiple areas and resolve any issues if found. Take your time and be very thorough.

Enjoy the ride!
redc36 (12-21-2017)
Old 12-19-2017, 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Originally Posted by brdaun
Ill take the first go on this. everything you have asked on here can and will be found by searching as lots of this is pretty common issues/questions. I will give you my short answers for what i can assist with.
If you can see any broken or visibly old things then by all means change it. Myself as im sure most people on here when doing the gaskets simply did the gaskets and nothing else.

Nothing on this as ive never had any issues with my CP

Do rear door handles with keyless go go bad often? My front ones work fine (I touch it and it closes and opens) but rear ones seem dead. Keyless go in general goes bad. be happy that your driver door has not went bad.
Does the passenger mirror go down when you reverse? you can change those settings on the steering wheel through the gauge cluster
Do these command units have Bluetooth connectivity? Can't seem to figure out how to connect the phone. Would love to stream iphone music. Only if there is aftermarket stuff installed on it.
Does anyone else think stock speakers are so so? My unit says ProLogic7 but the sounds is just ok. I listen to my exhaust.

Welcome to the W211 E55!
[/QUOTE]
In agreement with brdaun.

The door handles do go bad. Some have said it's a moisture related issue and the remedy is replacement of that specific door handle.

These Comand units do not normally have Bluetooth. The 09s might.

The stock audio system is awful. Just awful. The exhaust isn't a forefront sounding exhaust like the E63, the E55 has a more background exhaust. You're best off listening to low quality recordings, books on tape, and the radio. Want to hear something with detail? You won't get it in this car.

Your car may be noisy due to the tires. Some cars have very noisy tires. Michelins are probably the way to go. Some cars may have their muffler/resonator/cats modified or removed which would increase the noise.
redc36 (12-21-2017)
Old 12-20-2017, 02:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 255 Likes on 233 Posts
2001 E320 Wagon, 2006 LBZ Silverado, 2007 E63 (sold), 2001 E55 (sold)
Originally Posted by patrick_y
The exhaust isn't a forefront sounding exhaust like the E63, the E55 has a more background exhaust
The 6.2 in these cars have one of the best sounding V8 exhausts ever. The way these sound was a huge reason why I bought one of these over an E55. I'm not interested in doing lots of modding either.
Old 12-20-2017, 07:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Agreed! That exhaust note is killer. The E55's exhaust note isn't unpleasant, but it's not "special" enough.

E63 has better handling characteristics too. Better brake pedal feel, better steering communication from the steering rack.