Kleeman LSD modification and 60 foot times

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W221 S65 AMG
Kleeman LSD modification and 60 foot times

Anyone on the board have or is planning on purchasing the limited slip differential? If so any pre/post 60-foot times?

When I found out our cars didn't have a LSD I was kinda shocked. Getting BFGs didn't really do much for my 60-foot time which was 1.84 at 24 psi. I have seen others on the stock continentials run 0.1 better than that.

Product Info:

KLEEMANN LSD Conversion: $2,300.00 plus shipping Installation time should be in the 3-4 hour range.

KLEEMANN Limited Slip Differential

What good is power if it cannot be put to the ground? Mercedes-Benz utilizes a traction control system through the ESP system. The ESP system senses wheel spin and applies the brakes on the spinning wheel, due to the "open" differential the opposite wheel is now receiving power. At no time do BOTH wheels receive power, its either one or the other. If wheel spin cannot be controlled with this method the ESP system will close the throttle to limit the torque produced by the engine. This approach is not the high performance approach to limited wheel spin.

The Kleemann Limited Slip Differential is a 60% locking mechanism. This device applies a 60% lock-up ratio between BOTH rear wheels, meaning one has 60% of the drive power, the other 40%. At no time will only ONE wheel receive ALL the engines power. By powering both drive wheels one distributes the engines power evenly, reducing wheel spin and lowering acceleration times. A W211 E55 AMG will drop over 0.3 of a second to sixty with this modification alone.

Kleemann Limited Slip Differentials are available for all "large housing" differential cases. Please contact your nearest Kleemann agent to discuss your application.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Your 60' foot times aren't going to improve significantly LSD or not simply because you are limited by the stock torque converter stall speed on the transmission.

The LSD upgrade will be more felt at the racetrack and around corners. The $2,500 is better spent in increasing horsepower.

-m
Old 05-10-2004, 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
Marcus,

Thanks for the insight. Do you think the 3/10ths off the 0-60 is more like a guess? I can't get any traction for the first 30-50 feet even with BFGs in M or S mode. Its like wasted power if I can't get it to the ground.

BTW, Nice Supra! What a beast.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Originally posted by e55 baller
Marcus,

Thanks for the insight. Do you think the 3/10ths off the 0-60 is more like a guess? I can't get any traction for the first 30-50 feet even with BFGs in M or S mode. Its like wasted power if I can't get it to the ground.

BTW, Nice Supra! What a beast.
I can put down 650rwhp in 1st gear (low boost) without any wheelspin on my BFG G-Force Drag Radials with my Supra (I drive around with them on). I have seen big V8 boys cut 1.5 60' times and better with them on 18" wheels. If you are still spinning them you need to try some different tire pressures. Try dropping them down a bit to make them softer, and make sure you do a big burnout with them before staging.

I do think the LSD will also help at the drag strip somewhat, but you should have improved your 60' times over stock tires with the BFGs. Give them a few more passes experimenting with tire pressures and then see if you are satisfied with your short times or want to try to take it to the next level.

Thanks for the kind words on my Supra.

-m
Old 05-11-2004, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
<<I do think the LSD will also help at the drag strip somewhat, but you should have improved your 60' times over stock tires with the BFGs. Give them a few more passes experimenting with tire pressures and then see if you are satisfied with your short times or want to try to take it to the next level.

Yeah I totally agree the BFGs should help over the stock continentials. I got a mid 1.8 on my first pass at I think 24 psi and did a tiny burn out (3-4 sec) and launched at like 800 rpms.

Second run I did a massive 15 second burnout and lauched at 1000 rpms. I came out of the hole litteraly with power to one tire, sideways and got a crap 2.1 60 foot time. Thats when I looked into whether the W211 had a LSD.

<<Thanks for the kind words on my Supra.

I miss my Supra...looked a lot like yours, blk/blk, 6-spd. T66 with 264 cams, 850 cc injectors and upgraded rods and pistons. Do you have a 6-spd or auto?
Old 05-11-2004, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Originally posted by e55 baller

Yeah I totally agree the BFGs should help over the stock continentials. I got a mid 1.8 on my first pass at I think 24 psi and did a tiny burn out (3-4 sec) and launched at like 800 rpms.

Second run I did a massive 15 second burnout and lauched at 1000 rpms. I came out of the hole litteraly with power to one tire, sideways and got a crap 2.1 60 foot time. Thats when I looked into whether the W211 had a LSD.

Definitely take some pressure out of those tires. 24 is low, but you can do lower. 15 seconds is probably a bit much, but you want to do like 5-8 seconds to get a good temp into them. Also remember, a car's motor will torque to a certain side and many times put more pressure on one side of the car coming out of the hole... if one side is kicking out and one is sticking, run a stepped pressure. A little more on the side that comes out.

Track preparation is also a HUGE thing when it comes to short times. You can have a back halfed drag car that doesn't hook for **** because the track isn't prepped right. If possible, you may want to try a 2nd track for reference.

I miss my Supra...looked a lot like yours, blk/blk, 6-spd. T66 with 264 cams, 850 cc injectors and upgraded rods and pistons. Do you have a 6-spd or auto?
My car started off as a T04R/264/860cc car similar to yours but now runs a Garrett GT42 based 73mm turbo and is on a standalone. It's a 6-speed. Great car, have been into Supras for quite a few years now. I've had the chance to sell it and move into something a bit more prestigious but I really enjoy the car, plus the power and reliability given the hp is just amazing. I've had more problems with my E55 than I have with my Supra, even though my Supra has nearly 3 times the hp...

-m
Old 05-11-2004, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 0,3 is to be on the safe side, I have seen 0,5 sec drop from 0-60 mph in my E 55K3 W211.
0-60 mph on a cold a wet asphalt in 3,8 sec, the LSD will make a huge difference.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 E55, Brilliant Silver/Charcoal and Grey, All option except Parktronic.
Lucas, what a stable.

Very nice set of automobiles. 3.8s to 60 is amazing for a 4200 lb vehicle. But, you already knew all that.
Pictures would be appreciated if you have them, just out of interest.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
Lucas,

thanks for the info...I think I will get the LSD, do you also have a W211 in addition to the S600 and SL55? Quite a stable.

Marcus,

No doubt the Supra is stout. I do not know another car than can run 850-900 rwhp with a stock short block besides the Skyline. I think someday I will get another one. I had a Silver 94TT BPU before the black T66.

I can't beleive Toyota won't bring the Supra back in a turbo form. They could easily BPU the sucker with a FMIC and roll it out as a $70K Lexus putting down 430 rwhp (500/500 crank) and go head to head with may other cars. Good BPU+ cars run 11.5-11.8s at 120-125. Perhaps then it would get peoples attention.

The only car I ever lost to on the street in my T66 was my buddies LPE C5 TT

http://www.racingflix.com/getvideo.asp?v=504&c=all

its now running 9s @155 with a built motor. I got to drive it too. I could tell a difference between my 10.8 sec Supra and his car. he lays down 900 rwtq and like 600 at 2k rpms. I almost picked it up for $70k but couldn't talk the wife into it...but I am happier with the E55.

Last edited by e55 baller; 05-11-2004 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'72 Suburban
Originally posted by Marcus Frost

Definitely take some pressure out of those tires. 24 is low, but you can do lower. 15 seconds is probably a bit much, but you want to do like 5-8 seconds to get a good temp into them. [/B]
Having run drag radials, DOT stickies and slicks on different cars, I have a differing opinion. Other than your first time out on the drag radials, all that is required is a 2-3 second burnout.

With an automatic tranny, get the tires spinning and shift to 2nd gear quickly. Hold there at 4500-5000 rpm and then roll out. When you roll out, don't do a rolling burnout. Let off the gas and let the tires hook up. You're not John Force Avoid dry hops and just drive up to the line.

With a 16 and 17" drag radial, I've gone as low as 14psi, but haven't run on an 18. I'd start at 20psi and go +/- from there at 1psi increments, testing traction and stability at the big end.

Good luck!
Old 05-12-2004, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Originally posted by WayneE
Having run drag radials, DOT stickies and slicks on different cars, I have a differing opinion. Other than your first time out on the drag radials, all that is required is a 2-3 second burnout.
Wayne,

Everyone is entitled to their opinion

I actually have these tires on my Supra and, like you, have dragged on a good variety of tires - but mostly drag radials. 2-3 seconds may work, it may not. You do more harm by not warming them up enough than by warming them up too much, so I'd rather err on the side of too much than too little. On my old Nitto 555Rs (drag radials) 2-3 seconds would definitely not have cut it in terms of warming them up, they need at least 6+ seconds of a good burnout to get them sticky.

-m
Old 05-12-2004, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'72 Suburban
Originally posted by Marcus Frost
Wayne,

Everyone is entitled to their opinion

I actually have these tires on my Supra and, like you, have dragged on a good variety of tires - but mostly drag radials. 2-3 seconds may work, it may not. You do more harm by not warming them up enough than by warming them up too much, so I'd rather err on the side of too much than too little. On my old Nitto 555Rs (drag radials) 2-3 seconds would definitely not have cut it in terms of warming them up, they need at least 6+ seconds of a good burnout to get them sticky.

-m

Please explain what harm you're doing by not warming them up enough (other than the possibility of a bit of wheelspin).

Too much of a burnout will overheat the tire making it slippery, reducing tread depth and also reducing the life of the compound due to the heat.
Old 05-12-2004, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Originally posted by WayneE
Please explain what harm you're doing by not warming them up enough (other than the possibility of a bit of wheelspin).

Too much of a burnout will overheat the tire making it slippery, reducing tread depth and also reducing the life of the compound due to the heat.
Wayne,

Simple - a cold tire is a hard tire. A cold surface is a hard surface. Drag radial compounds are meant to be heated up in order to grip, and they are designed to get real sticky under heat. I've never had a tire get too hot and become slippery, and honestly have never heard of people overheating drag tires from a burnout... remember this isn't a road course with street tires or road race slicks that get greasy from heat.

The amount of tread you lose from an extra few seconds is pretty miniscule, especially considering the time you're wasting making a pass on tires that aren't hooking. I've done passes at the drag strip enough to know how much difference a 3 second and 8 second burnout made for my old Nittos.

-m
Old 05-18-2004, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
Crazy 60-foot time WRX-STi

came across this...most impressive (1.64 sec 60-foot).

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hreadid=561199
Old 05-18-2004, 05:22 PM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
'09 CLK550, '21 Camaro ZL1 1LE, '06 C55 AMG, '20 AMG GT53
Not impressive considering that was a 4wd car. I got a 1.588 60' in my Z06 with some mods. Any 4wd car you see can get a 1.6-1.7 60' with a 6K clutch drop.....hoping that parts won't break.
Old 05-18-2004, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
The reason I think it is impressive is this is with 300 awhp versus 350-360 for a STOCK Z06 and they weight the same. Sounds like your Z06 had more than stock hp too.

I've seen cartek Z06s run 1.43s with 500 rwhp/rwtq with a 10.6@130.

My Audi S4 will work over my W211 E55 all day long from 0-60...just need to get the Kleeman mod ;-)