W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Owner of 05 E55 Wagon! My dream ride!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 171 Likes on 139 Posts
1999 C43 AMG, 2005 E55 Wagon
New Owner of 05 E55 Wagon! My dream ride!

Hello.

I rolled the dice and gambled on a 2005 E55 wagon that's been floating around for sale for a while. At the price point, I figured it was worth it. For reference, my old car is a 99 C43 I have over 311k miles on. It has survived an ocean of highway miles and my wife totaling it once (so far) and I refuse to let it die. It's sitting in the garage next to my shiny new E55.

I can't explain how happy and excited I am to own it. I have wanted a m113-powered AMG wagon for many years, and the w211 is the only option in the states. Less than 200 of them imported and they're so old now that securing 'financing' for it would be impossible. But this one, due to the salvage title, the asking price was far less than similar cars from BaT or eBay.

It's a silver on black 2005. It's missing some good options, I must admit. No third row, no distronic, no keyless go, no THIRD ROW SEAT. At one point, the first owner of the car had it at over 100k miles and spun out and into a curb. No body damage, but for some reason it was totaled anyway. Here it is in totaled condition on copart: https://www.copart.com/lot/16847455?searchId=258896105

The next owner bought it and fixed it, but with aftermarket 20" wheels and an E63 front bumper and grille. I might go back to stock because the diffuser on the 63 bumper is so low it comes within a 1/4" of scratching on my driveway (but my wife managed to scrape it the very instant we got it home, despite the clearance. I should ban her from driving my AMGs).

It's tough to say, but the PPI revealed some aftermarket modifications have been performed. Aftermarket lowering links, aftermarket headers, de-catted, and I can see an ultimatepd.com belt slippage brace which leads me to assume it has a pulley on it as well? I'm not sure, but it goes like the dickens and has zero issues. PPI revealead nothing was wrong with it except a couple burned out bulbs and a broken passenger side vanity mirror.

My questions for you guys is this:

The car seems to be running rich. I can smell it a mile away. I know the paperwork indicates it's de-catted but i'm not just smelling exhaust, I'm smelling gallons of unburned fuel. I'm a very handy DIY'er and very willing to get my hands dirty. Where do I begin to track this down? I smell like the exhaust sitting here right now.

On the 200mi road trip with easy driving it managed only 19mpg. Is that normal?

The passenger side seat seems to trigger the seatbelt warning when no one is in it. I had to buckle the seatbelt so it would stop yelling at me. A sensor, I assume?

The headlights are aimed WAY TOO LOW and are almost cross-eyed. I've googled the method to adjust them but only 1 of the plastic adjusting nuts is available (and it makes no difference when I turn it). The other 2 are covered by some little plastic covers that cannot be removed?

I can't hear any supercharger whine... at all. Is that okay?

Given my history with my other car, I'm not afraid of miles or salvaged titles. The car passed the PPI anyway. I plan on actually driving this car, since it's value as a "collector item" has been destroyed. That works in my favor because I actually plan on using this car. I plan on getting the stock 18's back on it soon enough. I'm sure these big wheels are affecting MPG, brake HP, and ride quality. At some point, someone de-baged the fenders but I think I want to put them back. I'm just not sure how I'll get them to line up with where they should've been stock.

In the last year it's had ac compressor, alternator, 2 airmatic shocks, motor mounts, trans mount, and various odds and ends replaced by the PO. He took excellent care of the car and it still looks brand new in almost every way (except the drivers seat is a wee bit worn, but it has 136k miles now). I'm so excited to own it and I look forward to many years with it. I don't plan on letting it go, since (like I said) the salvage title has ruined it's value. Instead, I'm going to USE IT.

Oh, and it came with dyno results in the records? 418hp/472 ft lbs at the rear wheels.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 348 Likes on 213 Posts
15 S550 4Matic, 86 560SL
We need photos! (not just the crashed ones!)

Glad you found your dream car. I have an E63, but they are very similar, and overall a ton of fun. The amount of power on tap is just ridiculous. Enjoy!
Old 01-07-2018, 12:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
congrats. I just got a silver one with black interior as well. 110K miles on it. Prepping all the maintenance parts now so havent really enjoyed it yet. Wonder how many E55 wagons left on the road and kudos to you for using it and hopefully maintain it for many years to come.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:53 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Car free at the moment
I had a 2006 E55 wagon. Highway trips never reached 20mpg, usually in the 19ish range at 70mph on the interstate. Mine was stock.

The dyno results are are marginally stronger than stock. About 390 wheel HP is typical. You're pretty much within the margin of error there. Hate modded cars, you never know what has been done to them, or whether it was done well.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Anyone know a fix to the passenger seat yelling at me if I don't have it buckled (even with no one sitting in it?)
Old 01-07-2018, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Old 01-08-2018, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi S4
That e63 front end looks so hot on the 55’s. Nice buy sir!
Old 01-08-2018, 11:08 AM

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
E55 amg
Looks like this wagon from georgia.?

Hope you paid maybe the most 8 grand for it.

Last edited by oneslow55; 01-08-2018 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by oneslow55
Looks like this wagon from georgia.?

Hope you paid maybe the most 8 grand for it.
that's a curious estimation. Why?
Old 01-08-2018, 11:48 AM

E55 amg
Originally Posted by Sulaco
that's a curious estimation. Why?

This is why,if that car say would stolen ,accident totaled ,flooded etc etc.You will only get 55% or less of the retail value.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This is why,if that car say would stolen ,accident totaled ,flooded etc etc.You will only get 55% or less of the retail value.
Ok. I'll try not to leave the keys in it, total it, or park it on a beach at low tide! Thanks for the valuable and collaborative input.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ok. I'll try not to leave the keys in it, total it, or park it on a beach at low tide! Thanks for the valuable and collaborative input.

Sulaco i am sure you will enjoy the car regardless of what you paid for it. Its one of the coolest wagons on the road and there will be always people who will appreciate it and pay top dollar for one in good and maintained condition. If repairs were done right and it drives straight thats all that matters at least to a buyer like me. I will pay probably more than another person would because A i want it B i can allow myself that.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by redc36

Sulaco i am sure you will enjoy the car regardless of what you paid for it. Its one of the coolest wagons on the road and there will be always people who will appreciate it and pay top dollar for one in good and maintained condition. If repairs were done right and it drives straight thats all that matters at least to a buyer like me. I will pay probably more than another person would because A i want it B i can allow myself that.
bingo.

what mr trolly pants up there fails to realize is that this same car with a clean title would've fetched over double retail value. So in that case if it were stolen or totaled I'd have the exact same issue: paid waaaay over retail and insurance won't care if I crash it.

so the fact that I paid well under half what people normally pays for these things equates to the same problem they have. If it's totaled I won't recoup full value paid.

The car is worth what people are willing to pay. I could afford it and still get giddy just looking at it.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 348 Likes on 213 Posts
15 S550 4Matic, 86 560SL
I kinda like the wheels and stance. It does need some fender badging though! Looking forward to more posts and photos in the years to come
Old 01-08-2018, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 252 Likes on 215 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
I kinda like it with the fender emblems off. That way when someone unfamiliar with the E55 gets their *** kicked by it all they will see is the E55 AMG on the rear as your pulling away from them.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:31 PM

E55 amg
bingo.

what mr trolly pants up there fails to realize is that this same car with a clean title would've fetched over double retail value. So in that case if it were stolen or totaled I'd have the exact same issue: paid waaaay over retail and insurance won't care if I crash it.

so the fact that I paid well under half what people normally pays for these things equates to the same problem they have. If it's totaled I won't recoup full value paid.

The car is worth what people are willing to pay. I could afford it and still get giddy just looking at it.
FYI I know the car ,it was sold for $1,100 after the buy back .This why I did hope you didn’t pay more then 8 .I was trying to tell you salvage cars are worth nothing no matter what .Thet don’t pay retail and used price are still 60 % less when being sold .Dont brag about buying salvage cars lol
Old 01-09-2018, 07:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

FYI I know the car ,it was sold for $1,100 after the buy back .This why I did hope you didn’t pay more then 8 .I was trying to tell you salvage cars are worth nothing no matter what .Thet don’t pay retail and used price are still 60 % less when being sold .Dont brag about buying salvage cars lol
Yes, I'm aware of how insurance buybacks work. That's what I did with my last AMG when my wife totaled it. The damage was very light and the car only totaled due to being over 10 years old. Are you really saying that insurance buyback cost affects resale value? I bought back my last car for $300. Does that mean it will always be worth, what, 2 grand? That's not how it works.

I'm not bragging, just pointing out that you don't worry about insurance payout when you're buying a very rare car that always pulls more than blue book value. If the car had a regular title, I would've paid $25k+, and if I totaled it I could never expect over $12k from the insurance. It's the exact same problem either way.

As clearly visible in the copart photos, the damage was very minimal and light. It was bought and repaired correctly and the PPI showed that. It used entirely OE parts (minus the wheels) and the previous owner did mountains of proper maintenance at the dealer and saved all receipts. I took it to a friend's shop for my own personal inspection and the friend, upon inspecting it himself, offered me $3k over what I paid for it.

And in my case, with no intention on selling the car, it's perfect. Because of the title, I paid thousands less than what other people are paying for these. So, I believe it was a good deal.

Anyway, not sure why I'm wasting my time with you. I honestly can't tell if you're just a know it all infallible armchair analyst or trolling.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:39 AM

E55 amg
Yes, I'm aware of how insurance buybacks work. That's what I did with my last AMG when my wife totaled it. The damage was very light and the car only totaled due to being over 10 years old. Are you really saying that insurance buyback cost affects resale value? I bought back my last car for $300. Does that mean it will always be worth, what, 2 grand? That's not how it works.

I'm not bragging, just pointing out that you don't worry about insurance payout when you're buying a very rare car that always pulls more than blue book value. If the car had a regular title, I would've paid $25k+, and if I totaled it I could never expect over $12k from the insurance. It's the exact same problem either way.

As clearly visible in the copart photos, the damage was very minimal and light. It was bought and repaired correctly and the PPI showed that. It used entirely OE parts (minus the wheels) and the previous owner did mountains of proper maintenance at the dealer and saved all receipts. I took it to a friend's shop for my own personal inspection and the friend, upon inspecting it himself, offered me $3k over what I paid for it.

And in my case, with no intention on selling the car, it's perfect. Because of the title, I paid thousands less than what other people are paying for these. So, I believe it was a good deal.

Anyway, not sure why I'm wasting my time with you. I honestly can't tell if you're just a know it all infallible armchair analyst or trolling.

I had posted a comment at first and you got defense..glad your happy and nice deal you got .Glad you scored on it on And not taken for ride that was my first post made .I was not meaning to troll or what not .Welcome back and enjoy !
Old 01-09-2018, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I had posted a comment at first and you got defense..glad your happy and nice deal you got .Glad you scored on it on And not taken for ride that was my first post made .I was not meaning to troll or what not .Welcome back and enjoy !
thanks, sorry about that. Just forums make it hard to pick up what people are putting down!
The following users liked this post:
oneslow55 (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 09:57 AM

E55 amg
N.p man!!! Enjoy that beast!!
Old 01-11-2018, 08:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts
05 E55, 98 CLK320
Catless cars smell like **** man, it's pretty normal. Mine stinks, I'll start it up to let it run and dry out a bit when it's sitting in the driveway waiting for parts (like it is now, been down 2 weeks waiting for a set of wheels because I cracked my front with a blowout on the highway) and I take the dogs for a walk, when I come back the whole neighborhood stinks. Fuel trims and everything look very normal so... they just stink like that it's normal. Make sure it's tuned properly, there are a load of tuners on the market. RaceIQ seems to be the crowd favorite, I'm tuned with Eurocharged.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:06 AM
RPB

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Such a cool car, I have seen a few over the yrs when I visit family in the UK but have yet to see one in the DC area. I wonder why there is such a limited supply of the AMG wagons shipped to the US. The same with BMW and Audi. There is a high demand for them over here.

Congrats on the new acquisition.

Last edited by RPB; 03-07-2018 at 12:24 AM.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
E55
Who cares what he paid for it, who cares about the title, and who cares about it smacking a curb. If it was fixed properly and runs well...ENJOY IT! It's the OP's money , he can waste it however he wants. My catless E55 didn't really smell, it had a hint of raw fuel smell but nothing that you could small when it was idling and standing near it. I had Tony @ IQ Racing tune it (formorely BIP tuner) and it was a monster. I also tracked mine, so it probably didn't have too many deposits or things needing to be burned off. I'd run it pretty hard for about an hour, or alternatively get it on the track (SCCA Track NIghts) to clear it's throat.

Congrats on the purchase, enjoy it in good health.
The following users liked this post:
Sulaco (03-09-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 12:00 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
04 CL55, 05 E500S4, 15 BMW i3 REx
Nice pickup! I think I remember you from the Club202 days
Old 03-09-2018, 08:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by OCKlasse
Nice pickup! I think I remember you from the Club202 days
yessir, I remember you too! Man, I miss the OG club202 days. Still rockin' the club sticker on my 99 C43/55!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Owner of 05 E55 Wagon! My dream ride!