W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sat Radio Antenna needs to be on the trunk lid!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2004, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Exclamation Sat Radio Antenna needs to be on the trunk lid!!!

With all due respect to a great board member, I am here to say that the installation that T-Bone used for his SAT radio is not effective. While I agree 100% that drilling a hole in the trunk is crazy and extremely aggressive (MB should know better) but it does belong on the trunk.

I picked my E55 up at the dealership and the minute the car was under any type of tree the reception vanished and the signal was lost. After calling 3 friends who have SAT radio on their cars, I quickly realized that my reception was the worst of the group.

For those the live in Los Angeles, I drove the car up Benedict Canyon (on my drive home through West LA) and the signal dropped about every 4 seconds and never become fluid until I was out of the trees. No other car I know of has this issue on this specific street.

This being the case I am about to depart to have the antenna put on the rear trunk lid (hole and all) for I would rather have the system work properly than drop signal constantly.

And again I would like to emphasize that I have no distain or ill will for T-Bone here but I simply wanted to let people know that the rear deck mount for the antenna does not allow the proper reception required for good clarity.

In a place with few trees and no canyons this installation method would most likely were more than adequately but for me, it does not "cut the cheese."
Old 05-15-2004, 01:04 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55
I mounted my satellite antenna the "t-bone way" and have had no issues. I even tested it with the rear window defrost on and still encounted no issues. Since the antenna is not in any place where it can be harmed I went one step further and removed the antenna cover. Again, I've got nothing to compare this to but so far have only lost reception when parked in my garage.

Could it be possible that the satellite reception on the east coast (Atlanta) is stronger than on the west coast?
Old 05-15-2004, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
My friend's Sirius installation (on his SUV) with the antenna mounted on the ROOF loses reception under trees. There is one tree lined street we often drive on (10 miles in the trees) and it regularly cuts out there.

Antennas mounted behind glass generally have the housings removed (we have been mounting GPS antennas under the glass for a couple years now, in accordance with Mercedes-Benz instructions). The idea is to remove every bit of signal degradation.

The main issues with mounting behind glass will be any coating on the glass which will block signals. This includes the OEM infrared-blocking glass (which I believe is unavailable in the US) or any kind of window tint with metalized coating.

-s-
Old 05-15-2004, 02:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04E55AMG, 05Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab, 02Montero Limited
No problem the T-Bone way. I only lose reception when going into a parking garage or tunnel. Went into a hail storm last week in Washington, VA and still had reception with golf size hail pounding the Beast.

Would never drill holes in a $90K car. (Just my opinion)
Old 05-15-2004, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
well...

I am not sure what to say. In my driving area the T-Bone method does not work. I just drove down Beverly Glen and from west LA to Santa Monica and the system had no signal many times. I had the car at the shop this morning and they checked the connections and all is fine.

I would love to see what T-Bone has to say on this and if he ever drives any of these streets. Any SAT Radio users in the So-Cal area that would be willing to take a quick drive along one of these streets to see how your car responds?

I will return to the shop on Tues. to have the location changed to the trunk being that my tech was working on his personal car today and was not clocked in to work.

The shop has an on sight paint/color matching shop that will match the antenna to the color of the car. I may do this or just stick with black being that a different finish of Pewter may look odd on the car. Something to think about for the weekend!

I do think that the nature of the city in which you live will have a large effect on the effectivness of the T-Bone installation. I drive down tree covered streets and through canyons all day long and this most likely pust more stress on the antenna. Cities which are more "flat" (like some of the places in which the other posters live) might not have any issue with the T-Bone installation method.

Last edited by CynCarvin32; 05-15-2004 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-16-2004, 07:10 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
...most probably caused by a poor way of antenna installation...I don't know who installed your sat radio but the antenna under readeck method should work as good as the antenna on trunklid method...it just depends on how the antenna is mounted under the reardeck.

Knowing that some US MB dealerships order new teleaid controlunits to get rid of a teleaid error which was caused by a disconnected GPS cable...I have no doubt that some installers have difficulties in placing a GPS antenna under the reardeck in a properly manner...
If it was my car - that antenna would NEVER end up on the trunklid...

greetingz,
Old 05-16-2004, 07:27 AM

'08 SL550 Sport, '11 BMW 550ix M sport
Cyncarvin...maybe before you have them drill a hole in your trunk lid you can consider trying this... try running the wire through the hatshelf and placing the antenna loosely onto the top of the hatshelf just under the rear window. (behind the rear headrests)Don't make any permanant mounts, just try your reception that way. The only thing blocking the signal will be the glass. If it works well then you can mount it and hide the wires.

It may be visible that way but since it would be inside the car it would be much less noticible.

Anything would be better than marring that beautiful sheetmetal. My Sirius installed the T-bone way works great.

Tony
Old 05-16-2004, 07:43 AM

Fiscal Neo Con Express
hi guys,

i agree with ex-beemer. try a temporary spot before
you drill your trunk lid. i would try many locations
before drilling. drilling is permanent and....unattractive.
good luck.
Old 05-16-2004, 09:08 AM
Almost a Member!

2004 E55
For me the issue wasn't so much the idea of drilling a hole in the trunk but the big ugly bulge of a black satellite antenna on a silver car. If my car was black I may have just mounted the antenna on the trunk. The shell of the antenna is also paintable to match your car. Another option would be to get an alternative low profile satellite antenna. Some are magnetic and other adhesive. They ussualy feed the antenna cable through the trunk opening to avoid having to drill a hole. My service advisor looked into alternated but the connectors didn't match up. I'm sure if someone investigated further they could find a solution. As mentioned, in the end I went with the now infamous "t-bone way".
Old 05-16-2004, 09:12 AM

E55
Wanted to get the sat dealer installed, but they will only mount on trunk lid. I told them when MB comes out with an alternate mounting under the rear glass, I would hurry back. I just can't believe that MB would drill the trunk! Maybe a nice little coon tail on the antenna would be appropriate also. NOT! Are there any dealers in the South East that will do the under glass install?
Old 05-16-2004, 09:13 AM

2004 S55
Goody,

I'm also here in Atlanta and was considering the Sirius install. What dealership did you use for it? Thanks.

Jeff
Old 05-16-2004, 09:39 AM
Almost a Member!

2004 E55
Originally posted by rgbyhkr
Goody,

I'm also here in Atlanta and was considering the Sirius install. What dealership did you use for it? Thanks.

Jeff
I used Atlanta Classic Cars to do the install. Ask for Nash or Aaron 770-279-3686 in the accessories and tell him Mr. Goodman sent you. I was the ginue pig but now the have it down pat. If you are interested in new or used car purchase, ask for Craig Wittley.

By the way, if you haven't been to this dealership you have to check it out. They have a huge service bay that you can look down onto through wall to wall glass from the waiting area, a cafateria, a workout room, a putting and driving range, c class and ml loaner cars. They also have a huge selection of new and used cars. Every saturday, one of the departments host a barbeque for the employees and customers. The owner, Cathy Ellis and GM, David Smith have set the standard for customer experience. I'm not affiliated in any way with this dealership, just a satisfied customer.
Old 05-16-2004, 10:05 AM

E55
Goody

I am about 120 miles from Atlanta on I 20 in sweet home Alabama. Do they charge about the same as dealer for install? They sound like a top gun organization.
Old 05-16-2004, 11:07 AM

03 E55
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but doesn't the new E class come standard with Sirius radio....? Why the aftermarket install? //DS
Old 05-16-2004, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally posted by MBenzNL
...most probably caused by a poor way of antenna installation...I don't know who installed your sat radio but the antenna under readeck method should work as good as the antenna on trunklid method...it just depends on how the antenna is mounted under the reardeck.

greetingz,
Well I would agree with your general statement except my car is only worked on my the shop foreman who has worked at MB for 34 years (in both Germany and the USA). Having been close friends with the service manager at my dealership for 16 years I never have an uneducated person touch my cars

The installation is exactly as shown by T-Bone in his posts. The tech even used black felt tape to cover the wires without being asked or told to do so. He put it in the same exact location so the method of installation should not be an issue here.

Would you try removing the cover to the antenna? Would you put the antenna on the top of the rear deck?

I think the best way to check this would be to compare it to a car with a standard installation. Anyone here have a standard (factory) installation for their SAT radio system in So-Cal?

Thanks
Old 05-16-2004, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally posted by EX-BEEMER
Cyncarvin...maybe before you have them drill a hole in your trunk lid you can consider trying this... try running the wire through the hatshelf and placing the antenna loosely onto the top of the hatshelf just under the rear window. (behind the rear headrests)Don't make any permanant mounts, just try your reception that way. The only thing blocking the signal will be the glass. If it works well then you can mount it and hide the wires.

It may be visible that way but since it would be inside the car it would be much less noticible.

Anything would be better than marring that beautiful sheetmetal. My Sirius installed the T-bone way works great.

Tony
I have thought about this as well. But I wonder if it is the shelf that is causing the poor reception or the fact that the antenna does not have a good view (for getting the signal) when having to look out through the roof of the car. The system requires a "southward" view and if the "southward" view is inhibited buy the roof of the vehicle this could cause reception issues.

But I would much rather have it on the rear deck than on the trunk.

But if I put it on the trunk, I would paint the antenna cover to match the car being that a black blob is less than attractive!

Thanks for the helpful thoughts.
Old 05-16-2004, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
you are somewhat correct...

Originally posted by DarkStar
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but doesn't the new E class come standard with Sirius radio....? Why the aftermarket install? //DS
All 2004 E-Class cars are "pre-wired" for the system but the car needs to have an antenna and control module installed to activate the system. There is the button the comand unit for the SAT Raido but you need the extra parts for it to be functional.

Parts should run around 500 bucks and labor should be aroudn 275.
Old 05-16-2004, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: you are somewhat correct...

Originally posted by CynCarvin32
All 2004 E-Class cars are "pre-wired" for the system but the car needs to have an antenna and control module installed to activate the system. There is the button the comand unit for the SAT Raido but you need the extra parts for it to be functional.
All 2004 E-class cars are NOT PREWIRED. Just because the COMAND has a "SAT" button does NOT mean the car is prewired. I have run into a few 2004 cars which left the factory WITHOUT code 531, "Satellite prewiring".

-s-
Old 05-16-2004, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by GoodyAMG
The shell of the antenna is also paintable to match your car. Another option would be to get an alternative low profile satellite antenna. Some are magnetic and other adhesive. They ussualy feed the antenna cable through the trunk opening to avoid having to drill a hole. My service advisor looked into alternated but the connectors didn't match up.
DO NOT PAINT THE SHELL OF THE ANTENNA WITH A METALLIC PAINT!

This is why previously, parts which housed the GPS antenna and were color coded would come prepainted (like the antennas on the W210 or the "bulge" on the SL and SLK). This was in part so that the installer would not paint the housing with an improper paint.

If your car is 040 black, this is obviously not a problem. If you have silver or pewter, you need to reconsider having it painted.

-s-
Old 05-16-2004, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Re: Re: you are somewhat correct...

Originally posted by scorchie
All 2004 E-class cars are NOT PREWIRED. Just because the COMAND has a "SAT" button does NOT mean the car is prewired. I have run into a few 2004 cars which left the factory WITHOUT code 531, "Satellite prewiring".

-s-
if that is the case then MB needs to pre-wire it free of charge for all literature states that ALL 2004 W211's have the Pre-Wiring. Either way the customer can have it installed but MB might have a head ache if they messed up with the build specifications.
Old 05-16-2004, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Shucks

Originally posted by scorchie
DO NOT PAINT THE SHELL OF THE ANTENNA WITH A METALLIC PAINT!

This is why previously, parts which housed the GPS antenna and were color coded would come prepainted (like the antennas on the W210 or the "bulge" on the SL and SLK). This was in part so that the installer would not paint the housing with an improper paint.

If your car is 040 black, this is obviously not a problem. If you have silver or pewter, you need to reconsider having it painted.

-s-
My car is of course nothing other than....
PEWTER

And my other W211 is Granite Grey...so same problem there...

The dealership said they could do a non metalic "color match" for the antenna but that sounds like it would look worse than the black antenna on the trunk.

Can it be done to match with the "proper" paint? If so that would be a nice solution.

Thanks
Old 05-16-2004, 05:46 PM

2004 S55
Originally posted by GoodyAMG
I used Atlanta Classic Cars to do the install. Ask for Nash or Aaron 770-279-3686 in the accessories and tell him Mr. Goodman sent you. I was the ginue pig but now the have it down pat. If you are interested in new or used car purchase, ask for Craig Wittley.

By the way, if you haven't been to this dealership you have to check it out. They have a huge service bay that you can look down onto through wall to wall glass from the waiting area, a cafateria, a workout room, a putting and driving range, c class and ml loaner cars. They also have a huge selection of new and used cars. Every saturday, one of the departments host a barbeque for the employees and customers. The owner, Cathy Ellis and GM, David Smith have set the standard for customer experience. I'm not affiliated in any way with this dealership, just a satisfied customer.
Goody,

Actually, ACC is my local dealer. It's good to see that they are up on the T-Bone install as I really don't want to drill a hole in the trunk. By the way, if you don't mind me asking, what did they charge you for parts plus labor? Thanks again.

Jeff
Old 05-16-2004, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Shucks

My car is of course nothing other than....
PEWTER

And my other W211 is Granite Grey...so same problem there...

The dealership said they could do a non metalic "color match" for the antenna but that sounds like it would look worse than the black antenna on the trunk.

Can it be done to match with the "proper" paint? If so that would be a nice solution.

Thanks
I think if the dealer is aware that this is an issue, they know which paint to get... it is a non-metallic formula. Just because it has no metallic pigmentation in it does not mean it will not LOOK just like your original paint. It is just made with solids that will not impede the signals.

Like I said, as long as they are aware of the situation, it is OK.

Remember, even white house paint used to have lead in it. That would certainly block satellite signals... and x-rays... and radioactivity...

-s-
Old 05-16-2004, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Re: Re: you are somewhat correct...

if that is the case then MB needs to pre-wire it free of charge for all literature states that ALL 2004 W211's have the Pre-Wiring. Either way the customer can have it installed but MB might have a head ache if they messed up with the build specifications.
I can't find any literature that states all 2004 W211s are prewired. I even looked on MBUSA for the 2004 E500 specifications, and in the stereo, it doesn't mention SIRIUS satellite radio prewiring... so I am not sure ALL the literature states that. Maybe some percentage, none of which I had handy.

Anyhow, even if it is stated, you know that all automobile literature always states "Specifications subject to change." Therefore I think you would have a hard time convincing them to prewire your car. Of course, when you have satellite radio installed, it's not "prewiring"... it is installation. Prewiring only refers to wiring added when the car is built. At installation time, the dealership may choose to wire your car, either free or for some charge.

In all cases, it is "caveat emptor." If a buyer specifically wanted satellite prewiring, he probably should have checked his car before he bought it.

-s-
Old 05-16-2004, 08:55 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 E55
Re: Goody

Originally posted by imthduke
I am about 120 miles from Atlanta on I 20 in sweet home Alabama. Do they charge about the same as dealer for install? They sound like a top gun organization.
Yes, the are very competative. I cann't find my invoice at the moment but I remember them saying they gave me the "don't tell anyone we did it for this price" deal. So if you go there, ask for Nash or Aaron and tell them you want the same deal you gave Mr. Goodman. Yes, the customer service is great. I'm sure there are other MB dealers closer to you that will do the work for a reasonable price so its up to you if you want to make the trip.

By the way, if you find a dealer that will not do the "t-bone way" you can have them install everything but the antenna. You can then do the antenna part yourself. It is very easy and taking your time will only be about an hour.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sat Radio Antenna needs to be on the trunk lid!!!