W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sat Radio Antenna does NOT need to be installed on the trunk lid!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 04:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 E55
Smile Sat Radio Antenna does NOT need to be installed on the trunk lid!!

I know Eric (CynCarvin32) has no ill will or disdain for me. I have met him and he seemed like a cool guy to me.

I just started a new thread because the other one has become pretty long and I don't want my response to get lost. I've linked to this post in the other thread also.

I just wanted to give my summary of my most recent investigation. That's why I haven't responded until now.

It just happened that today I had to take a friend around Southern California so this provided a perfect opportunity for me to test the reception of my satellite antenna installation.

The only place where I found bad reception was on the 405 going north right near the Getty Center. Here the reception cut in and out but once I drove past the Getty Center it was fine again.

This was the ONLY place I found bad reception and I drove alot today, almost 200 miles all around Southern California.

Here is where I drove today

Glendora 210 freeway west to 605 south to Lakewood.

From there I took the 605 north to the 105 west to the 405 North.

Exit the 405 onto Sepulveda

Sepulveda to eastbound on Olympic.

Then northbound on Westwood into UCLA.

Then back southbound onto westbound Santa Monica Blvd.

Santa Monica Blvd all the way to the ocean then southbound on Ocean to Venice Beach.

From Venice Beach, back onto the 405 north to the 101 east.

101 east to 134 east.

Exit out to Hollywood to go to Fry's Electronics.

Back onto the 5 south to the 134 east to the 210 west into Pasadena.

Then surface streets from Pasadena to San Gabriel.

Next onto the 10 west to the 710 south to the 5 south to the 605 south into Lakewood.

Bad reception only near the Getty Center. Other than that maybe a few times where I lost reception due to going under large trees.

I thought I would lose reception driving underneath the 405 on Santa Monica Blvd but it didn't even cut out once.

I also want to mention that when I park my car fully inside the garage, I still get reception if my garage door is open.

Maybe we can go for a drive together one day CynCarvin32 and compare to see if there is a difference between my reception and yours. I think canyons may be difficult for most satellite radios. Which cars did you compare your reception to?

As for the places I drove today, it pretty much covers a very large percentage of where I would usually do my driving. (I think it pretty much covers the greater Los Angeles area. ) So I must say I am VERY satisfied with my installation.
Old 05-17-2004, 06:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
I suspect that with the way your antenna is mounted, that you would only lose reception in one direction through Sepulveda pass... hmm, I need to look at a map. It might be both directions. But it seems your C-pillar is apt to block the signals in one direction more so than the other.

If the antenna were mounted more towards the surround speakers, C-pillar blockage might be lessened.

-s-
Old 05-17-2004, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55
My last comments on the satellite radio install.

I have posted many times on this subject. I find two clear advantages with my style of installation. And one possible disadvantage.

Advantages

1) Aesthetics. (a HUGE advantage in my opinion)

2) No worry about rain leaking into the hole drilled into your trunk to cause the antenna to fail.

Disadvantage

1) Worse reception in some mountain passes where the C pillar may block some signal.

Now depending upon where you live, the disadvantage may not even be a consideration.

I have posted pictures and have given my thoughts on this subject. I think these threads have described my experience thoroughly so I will probably not post about the satellite radio antenna anymore.

In the end, it is your decision. I have already made mine and have shared as much as I can.

Last edited by t-bone; 05-17-2004 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-17-2004, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sat radio

t-bone, if you're still reading this site, thanks.
Old 05-17-2004, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55
Re: sat radio

Originally posted by tendons
t-bone, if you're still reading this site, thanks.
Your welcome.

I'm still posting to and reading this site.

I'm just not going to post about the satellite radio antenna anymore. I think I've posted all I can about it. I've beaten it to death.
Old 05-17-2004, 08:58 PM

E55
Only think I want to know is where in the South East can you get a dealer to install other than on the trunk?
Old 05-17-2004, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Re: sat radio

Originally posted by t-bone
Your welcome.

I'm still posting to and reading this site.

I'm just not going to post about the satellite radio antenna anymore. I think I've posted all I can about it. I've beaten it to death.
QUIT RESPONDING THEN!

-s-
Old 05-17-2004, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55
Re: Re: Re: sat radio

Originally posted by scorchie
QUIT RESPONDING THEN!

-s-
haha

I'll respond to posts, just no more info.

I'll let you do the responding from now on since you are no longer on posting hiatus.
Old 05-17-2004, 11:33 PM
MVD

2009 E550 w P1, Flint Black
Wagon has inegrated antenna?

I visited the local MB dealer yesterday and the rep complained about the antenna mounting on the E class. Interestingly, he said that on the wagon, the Sirius antenna was integrated in the Tele-Aid antenna. Hmm... This sounds like the way it should have been from day 1.

Can anyone confirm whether this is true? If so, I'm POed as MB could build it in all their cars at marginal cost saving end users an $800 install plus the antenna blight. If the extra cost is the issue (natch), MB should make Sirius a factory install as I'd gladly pay to have the combo antenna installed at the factory.

Also, if true, an enterprising person ought to be able to retrofit an antenna from the wagon.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Wagon has inegrated antenna?

Originally posted by MVD
I visited the local MB dealer yesterday and the rep complained about the antenna mounting on the E class. Interestingly, he said that on the wagon, the Sirius antenna was integrated in the Tele-Aid antenna. Hmm... This sounds like the way it should have been from day 1.

Can anyone confirm whether this is true? If so, I'm POed as MB could build it in all their cars at marginal cost saving end users an $800 install plus the antenna blight. If the extra cost is the issue (natch), MB should make Sirius a factory install as I'd gladly pay to have the combo antenna installed at the factory.

Also, if true, an enterprising person ought to be able to retrofit an antenna from the wagon.
LAME SALESMAN ALERT

The original install bulletin for the W211 wagon indicated removal of the headliner (which is glued in) to install the antenna. Then, a new headliner would be fit. The "fixed" installation bulletin shows proper use of the template to cut a square hole in the headliner, then install a trim piece around the cut. After the hole is drilled for the new antenna and the wiring is run, the hole is filled with another supplied trim piece (plug).

-s-