Sponsored by:

More canbus accomplishments.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 03:08 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2006 E55 AMG Kompressor
More canbus accomplishments.

So ive been working on a program for which you can port live information into a log file as well as a real-time display of parameters. After hammering the ins and outs of python, ive finally achieved a working model to build off of. Ill be releasing the source code in the coming future. Enjoy, and much more to come.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mitch Detailed:
seanol (05-24-2018), Tranman (08-04-2020)
Old 05-24-2018, 09:33 PM

Received 152 Likes on 98 Posts
05 E55 (06 E55 RIP)
if i had any idea what your talking about it be more impressed than i already am.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:48 PM

2006 E55 AMG Kompressor
Originally Posted by M5 LOL
if i had any idea what your talking about it be more impressed than i already am.
Lol, yeah it's a lot to wrap one's head around
Old 05-25-2018, 08:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
You've been working on this for a while now. I've forgotten what you are trying to accomplish?
Old 05-25-2018, 10:19 AM

2006 E55 AMG Kompressor
Well a long while back, the goal was to simply adapt a standalone into the car. At that time i didn't entirely understand canbus systems and their in's and out's. So I got to researching and that worm hole led went all the way down to programming and software that's applicable for researching canbus systems, after playing with linux and a utility package and then buying into 1350 software that doesn't do half of what they claimed at the gui level, i went back to the drawing boards and social networking. Tried the microcontroller options, but they're inefficient for quick development, made a full circle back to Linux as it's an open sourced option I felt more confident in than anything else and I don't/didn't have the desire to get burnt again on software options that underperformed. So for the past few months, I've been focusing almost exclusively on learning a couple programming languages that allow me to accomplish my goals, and now I have a decent working model and proof of concept that I am capable of interpreting signals on the canbus network vs just saying I can or showing some raw data types. I'll be working on yet another personal utility that I may not be releasing that will be used for bridging 2 canbus networks together to modify data from network to network. And then Ill actually work on oem integration of a standalone system on the car.

If the money for this platform was heavily existent for the objective, it's possible I'd have a bigger fire under me to make progress quicker, but for now I maintain a 60hr /wk work schedule and work a little bit every now and then directly on the platform. But for the most part I've been working on tools for efficiency vs directly on the reverse engineering of this car. Think building a car to drive vs simply getting on a horse and riding
Old 05-25-2018, 10:39 AM
SPONSOR

Received 83 Likes on 66 Posts
AMG's, CTS-V's, SRT's
Keep up the good work Mitch. I know you have been working on this for quite some time and in the end im sure it will pay off. I look forward to seeing more progress.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:09 AM

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
CLK56TT (WIP), S65, RR 5.0 S/C
To fully integrate a standalone ECU into this platform is a massive undertaking. Speedriven/Syvecs have never finished their project. Maybe you’ll be the first one. Well done for trying.

Me, I’ve just wired up an ECU and worked around the bits that caused conflicts. Auto gearbox became manual, digital dash replaced the original speedo. Luckily for us, the “marriage” of the engine ECU with the rest of the vehicle in this platform is much smaller than in modern cars. Due to age of course.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:26 AM

2006 E55 AMG Kompressor
Originally Posted by Alex L
<div style="text-align:left;">To fully integrate a standalone ECU into this platform is a massive undertaking. Speedriven/Syvecs have never finished their project. Maybe you’ll be the first one. Well done for trying.<br /><br />Me, I’ve just wired up an ECU and worked around the bits that caused conflicts. Auto gearbox became manual, digital dash replaced the original speedo. Luckily for us, the “marriage” of the engine ECU with the rest of the vehicle in this platform is much smaller than in modern cars. Due to age of course.</div>
<br /><br />I agree. The advantage I have over speeddriven is, im doing all the work, which means there's no middle man to screw me over if the results aren't acceptable, and I have the knowledge and capability to understand the problem and define the solution. This advantage also is a disadvantage because of the same reasons
Old 05-26-2018, 12:29 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
1990 300ce supercharged and intercooled
Good work. FYI you really do not need that much live data to do what you are doing. The bigger issues are the handshakes from different computers. Some care more than others. There are a lot of on/offs as well. A handful of toggle/parity sequences as well. Depending on what you want to work like factory. The torque reduction is going to be hard. ESP and TCM torque requests and the correct torque map from your ecu become fairly theoretical.
I did a similar project last year and the handshakes are what beat you up. I ended up setting the ECU to deny traction request.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:50 PM

2006 E55 AMG Kompressor
Originally Posted by whipplem104
Good work. FYI you really do not need that much live data to do what you are doing. The bigger issues are the handshakes from different computers. Some care more than others. There are a lot of on/offs as well. A handful of toggle/parity sequences as well. Depending on what you want to work like factory. The torque reduction is going to be hard. ESP and TCM torque requests and the correct torque map from your ecu become fairly theoretical.
I did a similar project last year and the handshakes are what beat you up. I ended up setting the ECU to deny traction request.
I gotta figure out the 3 values related to torque on id 300h if memory serves me correct. Handshakes and such ill figure out relatively quickly Step 2 is intercepting signals for modification
Old 05-26-2018, 10:48 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
1990 300ce supercharged and intercooled
312h is the main torque value. Static, effective, max and min. 212h has some response messages from ESP and TCM, and corrected. There is more. It is just spread all over the place. Take some of this with a grain of salt because most of what I have been working on is from Dodge. But most also transfers from each other. But not all. I swear that 212 is a TPS value in the Merc. Not tq. but I have never spent any time looking into it. It could all be driver demand though??
Old 05-28-2018, 01:02 AM

2006 E55 AMG Kompressor
Originally Posted by whipplem104
312h is the main torque value. Static, effective, max and min. 212h has some response messages from ESP and TCM, and corrected. There is more. It is just spread all over the place. Take some of this with a grain of salt because most of what I have been working on is from Dodge. But most also transfers from each other. But not all. I swear that 212 is a TPS value in the Merc. Not tq. but I have never spent any time looking into it. It could all be driver demand though??
i shall investigate on my next day off
Old 05-28-2018, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts
mgLipGD
This is really cool to follow. More smarts than i have and patience too for something so time consuming and tedious. Good luck and hope you solve all you want.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts
2006 E55, Various other German and ‘Murican
Do you work in the auto industry?
Old 05-30-2018, 05:58 PM

2006 E55 AMG Kompressor
Originally Posted by BC928
Do you work in the auto industry?
I mean, I guess? I build tires for a living for my 6a-6p job. Nothing directly involved with anything automotive programming or reflashing or anything similar .
Old 08-03-2020, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A250 sport
any news ?
Old 08-03-2020, 03:01 PM

2006 E55 AMG Kompressor
Originally Posted by zwier.z
any news ?
Directly correlating to the E55 amg platform itself? No.

Between working on freelance development for various platforms (Lamborghini Gallardo, Audi R8, and Honda Civic), I've been focusing my efforts towards understanding ARM and STMicroelectronics HAL for building upon.

Needless to say, I sidelined the Mercedes development to build better tools to work with for overall Development. It's still my pet project, and will continue to be.