W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has star in SD or OC area that can raise E55 back to stock height?

Old 08-09-2018, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
Who has star in SD or OC area that can raise E55 back to stock height?

Maybe I'm old. Just want to put my car back up to stock height. Anyone have a contact with star who can raise the car back to stock and will need get alignment.

Maybe dealer would be best so they can do it all in 1 shot?
Old 08-09-2018, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG E55, Stage 1, Strait Pipe from Primary Cats
Serge at Benzworks in HB or Dealer can do it but will likely be costly.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts
E55 and several 928s
I’d be glad to help if we have the steps.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 925 Likes on 717 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
It's not difficult. The diagnostic system will walk you through the process.

It roughly goes like this:
-Set front control arm and rear axle angles in the range specified measuring with an inclinometer app on your cell phone (or use a Romess if you can find one or afford it). You will inflate/deflate the air springs using STAR to change the angles.
-Make a note of the angles.
-Ensure each sensor voltage is in the allowable range. Go to next page, enter the new angle values you just measured. Hit "enter".
-Exit STAR. Cycle key off then start the engine. Raise car using the lift button, wait 2 minutes, then lower car and wait for 2 minutes. Remeasure the front control arm and rear axle angles and compare to your notes.
-If same angles, call it a day and celebrate with a beer or glass of tea.

You must ensure you are working on a surface as level as possible. Purchase a 6' long square aluminum tube (anything that will not flex), set the ends on sockets that are themselves set on the floor where the tires will be, use your inclinometer app on the square tube and add/remove floor tiles under the socket(s) until you know you have a level surface. Do this side-to-side and front-to-rear. Alternatively, you can use a clear vinyl tube as a water level but the square tube is easier. Run the vinyl tube from one side of the car to the other and tape it to the tires/wheels; when the water level matches the same point on the tire/wheel side-to-side and front-to-rear, you are good enough for government work.

IIRC, you'll find what you need under Control Units/Chassis/Airmatic/Control Unit Adaptations/Level Calibration.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ml#post6862688

https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost.php?p=6873199&postcount=1034

Let us know how it works out.
The following users liked this post:
Max.H (08-11-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts
E55 and several 928s
I am in San Diego
Max.H (08-11-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
All great options! Thanks.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by BC928
I am in San Diego
Thanks for replying, have you done this before?
Old 08-12-2018, 08:18 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
E55K AMG
Originally Posted by bbirdwell
It's not difficult. The diagnostic system will walk you through the process.

It roughly goes like this:

-Set front control arm and rear axle angles in the range specified measuring with an inclinometer app on your cell phone

Let us know how it works out.
This is the bit I am stuck at. Have done everything else and put the car to stock height. Wish I never messed with it in the first place

Not sure how to obtain the correct angles, I just entered default ones of 3.5 for the front and -1.1 for the rear after raising the suspension.

Dont quite understand what difference entering the correct values makes to the handling of the car and how the adaptive suspension will work differently.
Max.H (08-13-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 925 Likes on 717 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by £ C43 £ AMG £
This is the bit I am stuck at. Have done everything else and put the car to stock height. Wish I never messed with it in the first place

Not sure how to obtain the correct angles, I just entered default ones of 3.5 for the front and -1.1 for the rear after raising the suspension.

Dont quite understand what difference entering the correct values makes to the handling of the car and how the adaptive suspension will work differently.
IIRC, acceptable front control arm angles are 3.1 to 4.1 degrees. Measure across the "nubs" on the control arm. In this case, positive angle means the outer end of the control arm is lower than the inboard end (inboard end is higher off the ground). 3.1 degrees is the lowest factory height, 4.1 degrees is the highest factory height; this makes sense as increasing the angle means you are raising the car. Each side in the front can be individually adjusted.

The rear of the car is the exact opposite. Acceptable *rear axle* (aka the half-shafts) angles are -0.9 degrees to -1.5 degrees. The negative angle means the inboard end of the axle (the differential end) is lower than the outside end (the hub end). You measure with the cell phone inclinometer app directly on the rear axles. In the rear, you can only adjust both sides simultaneously.

Don't obsess over a 1/4" (6mm) difference between sides.

By measuring and entering your measured angle values, it allows the airmatic computer to use the sensor voltages to adjust/calculate ride height. The higher the voltage the lower the car, the lower the voltage the higher the car; if the sensor voltage goes out of range the airmatic programming will indicate the car is too high or too low (you may have seen this error on the instrument cluster) . Example: when my rear camber was -2.3 degrees and ride height at 25 3/8", the sensor voltage was almost 3 volts. After inflating the air bags to bring ride height to 26 3/4" and -1.6 degrees camber, the sensor voltage was 2.34 volts. Starting rear axle angle was -2.8 degrees; final rear axle angle (after inflating the air springs) was measured at -1.2 degrees. New rear axle angle was in acceptable parameters (-0.9 to -1.5 degrees), new sensor voltage was in acceptable parameters (2.2 to 3 volts), I entered -1.2 degrees for the left and right rear inclination angle, and the computer now uses the sensor voltage in memory (2.34 volts) as associated with an axle angle of -1.2 degrees.
The following 2 users liked this post by bbirdwell:
Max.H (08-15-2018), £ C43 £ AMG £ (08-13-2018)