Sponsored by:

Some questions after mechanic visit...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 11:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
none yet
Some questions after mechanic visit...

Hey all, I have a 2003 E55 and I’ve got some concerns that I was hoping you all could help me address!

I just got the rear struts replaced from my mechanic as well as a rear main seal leak fixed up, and as I was taking a look under the hood back at home today I noticed a loose part near the front of the engine and I have no idea what its purpose is...

i also noticed that my belt seems to have two lines going thru it, but I just had the drive belts recently replaced

I’ve attached one pic of the mystery part, and 2 of the condition of my belt. Would appreciate it if you pros could help me with these two issues as I’m a complete dunce when it comes to hands on stuff.

Thanks again guys!
Old 08-31-2018, 11:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,039 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
Re belts, take a look at the pulleys---wada you see
Old 08-31-2018, 11:29 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Loose part in the picture is just the hood stop.
Old 09-01-2018, 12:34 AM

none yet
Originally Posted by Davednconfused
Loose part in the picture is just the hood stop.

ah thank you I was not aware of that!
Old 09-01-2018, 01:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 254 Likes on 216 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by failboat
Hey all, I have a 2003 E55 and I’ve got some concerns that I was hoping you all could help me address!

I just got the rear struts replaced from my mechanic as well as a rear main seal leak fixed up, and as I was taking a look under the hood back at home today I noticed a loose part near the front of the engine and I have no idea what its purpose is...

i also noticed that my belt seems to have two lines going thru it, but I just had the drive belts recently replaced

That is not the hood stop......hahaha

That is a 2 piece retaining clip that holds the top of the radiator/ ac condenser still at the top of the radiator support.
The round part pops up out of the other piece with the 2 ears. The 2 ear piece should be sitting down into the radiator support more with just the 2 ears resting on top of the support. Look close and you can see the dirty marks where is was sitting before. Also look and you will see that orange looking gromment will fit into a hole in top of the condenser I believe. It’s been a while since I’ve had one part so the details are not clear at the moment.
Not sure why your mechanic would have had that off but if you don’t feel comfortable repositioning it take it back and have your mechanic fix it. It should take him 3 mins or less to fix it.
Old 09-01-2018, 02:44 AM

none yet
Originally Posted by tlambert
That is not the hood stop......hahaha

That is a 2 piece retaining clip that holds the top of the radiator/ ac condenser still at the top of the radiator support.
The round part pops up out of the other piece with the 2 ears. The 2 ear piece should be sitting down into the radiator support more with just the 2 ears resting on top of the support. Look close and you can see the dirty marks where is was sitting before. Also look and you will see that orange looking gromment will fit into a hole in top of the condenser I believe. It’s been a while since I’ve had one part so the details are not clear at the moment.
Not sure why your mechanic would have had that off but if you don’t feel comfortable repositioning it take it back and have your mechanic fix it. It should take him 3 mins or less to fix it.
thanks for the info! I will try to pop it back into place tomorrow. Should I worry about the two lines going through the belt?
Old 09-01-2018, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 677 Likes on 490 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec
Re: The lines on the back side of your belt: Plutoe tried to point you to what I'm going to try again to do: Look at what the belt surface rides on (the idler pulleys). The lines are caused by not being touched by the pulleys.

Oh, and +1 on the radiator brackets.
Old 09-01-2018, 04:53 PM

none yet
ah thanks I see it now

guess everything is good to go then!