W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Should I buy this E55???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2004 | 02:09 AM

2003 E55 Techtite over Blue Leather.
Should I buy this E55???

I need your help guys on this one. I have been looking for a used E55 for about 6 months & I live in SO CAL. I found someone who wants to sell her E55 which is tectite grey over charcoal/blue interior. It is one of my three favorite colors besides Pewter and white. It only has 6k miles on it and it is about 13 months old. Besides getting the car with about 34 months of warranty left & new tags, the car is alomst fully equipped with everything except Nav, Trunk Closer & rear side window roller blinds. It has the following.

Active Vent Seats w/ Drive dynamic,
Parktronic,
Keyless Go,
Panorama roof with solar cell,
Tire Pressure Monitor,
Factory CD Changer,
Xenon Lights
What do you guys think the car should fetch on a "Private Party" basis?Frankly, I don't think a dealer will give him a penny over $68k. I am offering him considerably more than that yet he is holding out for something close to $80k which is a dream for an 03' with no Nav.

Any Opinions?
Thanks
Old 06-29-2004 | 09:39 AM
Out Of Control!

Have you test driven this type of car? If yes and you like it then go buy it! And then start modding!
Old 06-29-2004 | 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4
As far as the car itself goes, there is no question that its an awsome color combo and its nicely equipped. The key is the price. IMO 80K is WAAAY to much (what was the sticker on that car??!!) When buying a used car from a stubborn seller, weather or not you take it now depends on two things:

- how bad you want THAT partiular car,
- how much demand there is for it.

If you think that you've found "the one" and you really want it, then don't risk her selling it to someone else that comes along and gives her what she wants for it. You have been looking for sometime and obviously know what you want, and if you believe there are others out there in your situation that would be willing to jump on this car, you can either pay now or take the risk. If you are sort of indifferent and are confident that you can find another like it/better than it, go ahead and wait, and if she can't sell it, she will eventually call you in a week or so and take your offer. Its sort of like a mind game...I was just in your situation yesterday, I had been looking for sometime for a car and ended up losing out on a few that I really wanted, so I just went ahead and gave the guy what he wanted for it bcs I didn't feel like having that happen to me again. Sure, the smart thing may have been to wait, but you know what, its only so often you find a used car in the color/condition you want, so when I found this one, I went ahead and took it, and I am very happy I did (still paid 3K under blue book!!!) GL
Old 06-29-2004 | 10:09 AM

The color combo pretty much exactly what I was looking for & you can't argue with the mileage on the car (6k miles)! I already told her that I won't pay more than $73k for the car even though she wants $79k. Obviously the market won't bare $79k or she would have gotten it by now. I have been holding my ground and am starting to think she is coming around. I just wanted some feedback on whether you guys thought $73k for the car was a good deal?
Old 06-29-2004 | 09:21 PM

e55211 traded in for CLS55
Considering the options it has, 73k sounds good. Sticker (with the options) would have been around 85K.
Old 06-29-2004 | 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 Yukon XL Denali, '06 Eclipse GS
I say it's a fairly O-K deal. Go for it and good luck.
Old 06-29-2004 | 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 M6, 05 Noble, 01 S4, Smart ForTwo
Compromise: 76K. your life wont change over 3K and neither will hers. Anything close to 80 and I'd rather spend another 5K and get a brand new 04
Old 06-29-2004 | 11:08 PM

2016 GLC300 sport
I am selling an E55, you can see more info here: https://mbworld.org/forums/classifieds/71288-2003-e55-sale-ca.html
Old 06-30-2004 | 12:00 PM

I think the roriginal MSRP was closer to $88k not $85k. Just the Pano Roof & Solar cell add 3 grand. I tend to agree with the prevailing opinion... just wait her out. She is definitely very stubborn, no doubt. She first started marketing the car 3 months ago. She's leasing it for 4 years, $1400 per month. She actually expects to get out of the car after only one year in the lease and still be in a postive equity position. Her payoff on the car is between 77 & 78 grand. So she in effect is looking for someone to either take over the lease or pay it off and give her a few grand cash as well. Because she is trying to sell the beast, she barely drives it opting instead to use her SL500. So because of her stubborness, she has thrown away another 3-4 grand in lease payments these past few months just waiting for her price which she'll never get. This should show you guys what I'm dealing with.