Sponsored by:

Argh - hit on the way to work - might be totaled. :-(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 11:55 AM

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts
2006 E55 Wagon (RIP), 2019 E63S Wagon (Sold) 2023 AMG GT634S
Unhappy Argh - hit on the way to work - might be totaled. :-(

I REALLY don't want to total this car - but....

Oncoming driver crossed the center line, blinded by sun. Young / new driver in a newer C class. I moved over as far as I could on the should - dropping a wheel off even - but there's a ditch and swale. She contacted me at a glancing blow at the front driver's tire. Continued down the side of my car, then her drivers front grabber my passenger rebrand tore the heck of of that corner. Spun me around. She kept going straight a fairly long distance off the road and down a ditch - taking out a few trees. Both of us walked away without a scratch. It could have been WAY worse - my car at least slowed her down.

But now..... My good friend owns the high end body shop in town and he's shaking his head on her viability. I REALLY love this car. 2006 E55 Wagon 75K miles. One owner. Completely stock except I changed to Arnotts (like 4 months ago...) and added the bluetooth.

So - I'll need:
both driver side doors (regular wagon?)
lower rocker
rear driver's quarter
ALL the back end stuff
ALL the suspension
exhaust
fuel tank
all the crash protection, etc

I know suspension will be AMG specific - but what might be available for just a wagon that I can use?

And - in the terrible even that she's a RIP - can you guys help me with value? I know this will be needing an independent appraiser, etc because of the rarity.

THANK YOU.

Not a good day at all.

Old 12-05-2019, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 254 Likes on 216 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Wow that’s horrible. Glad you guys are ok.

Car looks repairable from the pics. It’s if you want to spend the cash to do it if the insurance company totals it.

I would think doors from a E class wagon would work your body shop guy should be able to check that out for you.

If you don’t fix it.......some YouTuber will have clickbait on.....
“ I just bought the cheapest low mileage E55 wagon at the salvage yard”

and they will have it fixed with all that collision knowledge they learned from watching other Youtubers do the same thing!!! Lol

Seriously though I would think doors from a E class wagon would work your body shop guy should be able to check that for you.
As far as what it’s worth you’re going to get all kinds of opinions asking that on this forum. Research what is being sold with low mileage and use your own judgement. It might help also to show the insurance company resell values and what the production numbers are on the wagons showing them the rarity of that model.

Sorry to hear that happened.

Last edited by tlambert; 12-05-2019 at 01:09 PM.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:50 PM
SPONSOR

Received 798 Likes on 570 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
if you're unable to get a solid replacement through your insurance...maybe thoughts to purchasing a standard wagon and converting it with all the parts and pieces from your current chassis?

shame man...best of luck with your insurance. they can be *******s.

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com
The following users liked this post:
a100steaksauce (12-05-2019)
Old 12-06-2019, 02:53 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
'04 E55
Oh man that's terrible!
I just went through something similar with my E46 wagon. And I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but once it gets into the uni-body, the repair costs skyrocket. I'd be surprised if they decided to fix it. But I like the idea of getting a regular wagon and swapping everything in. It'd a big project though.
The main thing is that you and the other driver are ok!
Old 12-06-2019, 10:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 W211 E63
Man that sucks. Having been in an accident in 2017 where the frame on my previous 2002 E55 was slightly creased and no where near as bad as yours it will for sure be declared a total loss. The BS part is that insurer will only look at comps from recent sales. Given the age and rarity my guess is the only sales they will pull are the thrashed cars that sell in sketchy dealerships. Not sure if they look at sites like bringatrailer.com, but it might be possible to get higher comps there. Good luck!
Old 12-07-2019, 08:23 AM

sigh. I realize it's totaled. Went to see it again yesterday and my body shop guy made a lot of faces. There's just SO. MUCH. DAMAGE. And now, we can see the roof is tweaked / bowed. Went back to accident scene and found more parts - like the rear caliper 50 yards down the road. :-(

Moving the good parts to another wagon would work - but time wise it's not in the cards. We're trying to finish the never-ending house project (ironically with a shop that would be perfect for this) but that is taking all my time - along with typical insanity at work.

I am gearing for a fight with insurance. I have 10+ sales of 2005 /2006 /2007 wagons with mileage above and below mine in a spreadsheet with the average. I'll also plan to hire an independent appraiser. A 14 month average was about $32K, so with 64 having ever been built this year that's probably as good as its gonna get.

Now looking at other cars. Found a W213 that has peaked my interest. I've had this car from new and really don't want to spend the money on a new car, so looking around for what's available. So strange - feel like I am burying a friend.

Thanks for the thoughts and inputs! The good news is that I am relatively okay - have a slight concussion - but the car did what it was supposed to do.
Old 12-08-2019, 01:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 254 Likes on 216 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Uber Wagon
sigh. I realize it's totaled. Went to see it again yesterday and my body shop guy made a lot of faces. There's just SO. MUCH. DAMAGE. And now, we can see the roof is tweaked / bowed. Went back to accident scene and found more parts - like the rear caliper 50 yards down the road. :-(

Moving the good parts to another wagon would work - but time wise it's not in the cards. We're trying to finish the never-ending house project (ironically with a shop that would be perfect for this) but that is taking all my time - along with typical insanity at work.

I am gearing for a fight with insurance. I have 10+ sales of 2005 /2006 /2007 wagons with mileage above and below mine in a spreadsheet with the average. I'll also plan to hire an independent appraiser. A 14 month average was about $32K, so with 64 having ever been built this year that's probably as good as its gonna get.

Now looking at other cars. Found a W213 that has peaked my interest. I've had this car from new and really don't want to spend the money on a new car, so looking around for what's available. So strange - feel like I am burying a friend.

Thanks for the thoughts and inputs! The good news is that I am relatively okay - have a slight concussion - but the car did what it was supposed to do.

Glad no one was seriously hurt and you’re doing fine.

I feel sure the insurance company won’t fix it. Hopefully it all works out for you.
Uber Wagon (12-08-2019)
Old 12-08-2019, 07:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
I know how you feel. I hit a moose with my first prisine CLS. The strength of the car saved my life. Tried to replace it with a Jaguar. After one day I had to pay to send the jag back to new jersey. My advice is take your time and get something that makes you smile. Even if you have to rent for a while. Also, treat the insurance guy like a friend as long as you can. Ultimately it is a person that decides how much to pay you.
Uber Wagon (12-08-2019)
Old 12-08-2019, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts
mgLipGD
Wow sorry for the loss I miss my E55 that was killed in 2015 while I was doing 10mph in a turn lane. Hit from a car crossing stopped traffic and she didn’t see me as she pulled out.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts
2004 E55.98 SS Camaro.Jetta TDI. Expedition
Wow. That sucks. I would be shocked if it wasn't a total loss. That being said it's worth buying back. Rare as they are. Sorry
Uber Wagon (12-09-2019)
Old 12-09-2019, 08:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
'06 E55 K2
Devastating with lots of carnage. But glad you're ok - that's the most important thing.
Uber Wagon (12-09-2019)
Old 12-09-2019, 02:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W211 E55 AMG, W126 560SEL & W126 560SEC
Now THAT looks likes a hard hit! I’m glad both parties were not injured. You can replaced metal but not people.

Saying that, a black wagon a rare and it could be worth seeing what the payout will Ben and buyback costs. Park it up and chuck a tarp over it until the new garage is sorted ready for the resurrection! I’ve done this myself and don’t think regret it for one moment.

Best if luck with it and I love tourney registration tag.

Vick
Uber Wagon (12-10-2019)
Old 12-09-2019, 02:40 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,405 Likes on 2,848 Posts
2012 CLS63
Sorry for your loss Uber.Condolences.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:18 AM

Thanks, guys. Insurance has agreed that the there driver is 100% at fault, so any claim against MY policy has been closed and it will hit them 100%. That does give me a little more leverage and we're both with the same company. I don't see my buying it - as much as I would like to - I have run out of storage space at current house - unless my body shop will store - I can actually talk to him about that. But - if not - I will advise this group when it's available if anyone wants a good motor and needs interior, etc. It WAS in really good shape - always serviced at MB, one female owner, etc. My service advisor is out - and he's going to be REALLY sad that he can't buy it - he had called dibs about 10 years ago!

Thanks again for the well wishes - will advise how this plays out.

Oh - and now, the phone calls and mail for the lawyers starts - OMG! I am going to save the mail stack.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 180 Likes on 147 Posts
1999 C43 AMG, 2005 E55 Wagon
this car is absolutely salvageable to a half-decent body shop. I pray it ends up rescued instead of stripped for parts.

The only part that will be a pain to replace is that rear bumper. Everything else can be changed with regular E55 sedans or regular w211 wagons (rear door)
Vick N (12-13-2019)