Sponsored by:

Eurocharged Tuning Update- No support?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2020, 11:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
CLS55, CL63
Eurocharged Tuning Update- No support?

I have a car that won't pass emissions as O2 sensors and O2 sensor heater won't turn on. My tuner said it must be an early Eurocharged tune (likely from around 2012 or so) from before I bought the car, put on by a previous owner. But according to him, Eurocharged offers no support as a second owner, and I'd have to rebuy the entire tune at $600 to get the updated version that should fix my not-ready O2 sensors.

Does Eurocharged really offer nothing to me other than rebuying an updated tune to pass emissions? If that's the case, I'll go with a different tune, he recommended RaceIQ
Old 03-05-2020, 11:41 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
E63 and GL450, ML350 bluetec
Do you have the handheld device? That is the expensive part, so if you dont have that part I would get the tune of your choice. I have a EC V7 tune and other than transmission shifts, I don't notice any gains on my M156 E63. If I had the $$ I would have a HP tuner tune done on a dyno.
Old 03-05-2020, 11:57 AM

CLS55, CL63
I didn't get the device from the previous owner (it may have been 2 owners ago). BTW I am on the 55 AMG platform. My tuner originally thought I could do an update through him as a Eurocharged dealer for $95, but apparently they don't offer that anymore.
Old 03-05-2020, 01:03 PM

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts
2005 E55
They can't actually disable them to pass emissions via a tune (at least neither my raceiq or ec tunes could). I had to do it manually via STAR. RaceIQ told me they couldn't it had to be done via star. On my initially EC tune one of my requests was for them to disable the rears. They never mentioned anything and sent me a tune that did not do that. I think they may try to tamper with data tables related to the rears. Maybe it wouldn't throw a cel if they were still installed but in my case with them fully removed their tune did nothing in regards to the O2 cel.

A tune is sold to a customer not to their car. I wouldn't expect them to do much for you in that regards without purchasing a tune from them, just like any other car tuner on the planet.

My advice is find some one local with star to disable the rears for you. Either some one on the forum, FB pages, or a reputable shop which would probably carry a minimal fee. Even if you get a new EC tune i would bet you will be very upset when it doesn't get you passed smog.
Old 03-05-2020, 01:23 PM

CLS55, CL63
I guess, but I consider it piece of software. If I buy a computer second hand with Windows, I still get support from Microsoft. I don't have to rebuy windows just to get updates.

The tuner already used STAR to get the Evap system to show ready. The o2 sensors show consistent voltage and don't appear to be defective.

I'm just getting frustrated chasing ghosts with this to get it to pass emissions. And with the potential of $600 that may not even fix it on the table, I'm looking for options.
Old 03-05-2020, 03:29 PM

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by silvertonesx24
I guess, but I consider it piece of software. If I buy a computer second hand with Windows, I still get support from Microsoft. I don't have to rebuy windows just to get updates.

The tuner already used STAR to get the Evap system to show ready. The o2 sensors show consistent voltage and don't appear to be defective.

I'm just getting frustrated chasing ghosts with this to get it to pass emissions. And with the potential of $600 that may not even fix it on the table, I'm looking for options.
Well you've got a lot of tuners to take up your gripe with ;-) In fact RaceIQ and DTK that do free retunes for customers is more flexible than any tuner for other platforms I've ever seen lol.

Who is "the tuner" if you have an EC tune? Who are you planning on paying $600 for a tune to get rid of O2 sensor? If it's a remote tune, you are being charged about twice as much as most remote tunes can be had for, AND like I said it's still not going to fix your problem. STAR is not a tune, it's a diagnostics tool. If you are saying your "tuner" charged you $600 to fix your evap system with star you are getting bent over. STAR diagnostics can not be done remotely, where as an ECU tune can.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:49 PM

CLS55, CL63
Originally Posted by drothgeb
Well you've got a lot of tuners to take up your gripe with ;-) In fact RaceIQ and DTK that do free retunes for customers is more flexible than any tuner for other platforms I've ever seen lol.

Who is "the tuner" if you have an EC tune? Who are you planning on paying $600 for a tune to get rid of O2 sensor? If it's a remote tune, you are being charged about twice as much as most remote tunes can be had for, AND like I said it's still not going to fix your problem. STAR is not a tune, it's a diagnostics tool. If you are saying your "tuner" charged you $600 to fix your evap system with star you are getting bent over. STAR diagnostics can not be done remotely, where as an ECU tune can.
I purchased my car (from here actually) and a previous owner had done most of the mods. It came with the tune installed, but no cable or anything. I took it to a local tuner who is a Eurocharged dealer, and he used STAR to code out the EVAP as my car has primary cats removed. However, the O2s just won't get ready. His next suggestion was to ditch the Eurocharged tune and go with RaceIQ
Old 03-06-2020, 03:32 PM

Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
CLS55
If your going to throw money away on another tune why not get the tuner to dyno tune it instead of getting another box tune? I tried raceiq and their tune had bad fueling and would pop out of gear at top end any throttle application since the rev limiter didn't seem to work anymore. Tony gave up on me without refund so I would advise against it but lots of others have had success. And since you dont have the cable or tune file for your eurocharged tune you cant run back like I did.

If you do get a new tune monitor the ltft they can be an earlier indicator of bad fueling if the tuner cant get idle and low throttle application maps rignt open loop (wot) is probably off too.

The following users liked this post:
Ls1toAMG (03-08-2020)
Old 03-08-2020, 09:34 PM

Received 151 Likes on 107 Posts
14 E63s AMG, 03 E55 AMG, 13 GL63 AMG, 95 M3
Agreed, you'll need confirmation from the tuner that they can code that out, but if it can only be done in STAR it has to be in person. I worked in a shop years back and never met a tuner who would just take over a new owner, your Microsoft analogy is good but it's more like expecting your MS Office to be paid for when buying a used computer. You have to pay up front as a customer, then receive support after. Remote tunes are closer to a 'membership' than a hardware purchase and there is always the up front cost to cover all future work etc.

Tony at RaceIQ has been great to work with for me, I had issues I thought were tune related and my E55 was more of the problem. He was helpful throughout and once I replaced a few sensors the car is running amazing, long term fuel trims about 1%. Every car is different so that doesn't mean yours will be as good, but if Tony believes he can tune out your issue go for it. If not, then no reason paying to retune.

With how complex coding is in these cars, I'm guessing it will have to have STAR hookup, and a dealer would never tough emissions tampering. I'd look for an individual with one and experience using it, maybe advertising on craigslist or something, and give that a whirl.
Old 03-08-2020, 09:46 PM

CLS55, CL63
Thanks for your thoughts..I'll probably just give RaceIQ a chance as I have no other option here, expired plates and o2 sensors that won't set to ready. EVAP system has already been coded out via STAR
Old 03-08-2020, 09:53 PM

Received 151 Likes on 107 Posts
14 E63s AMG, 03 E55 AMG, 13 GL63 AMG, 95 M3
Originally Posted by silvertonesx24
Thanks for your thoughts..I'll probably just give RaceIQ a chance as I have no other option here, expired plates and o2 sensors that won't set to ready. EVAP system has already been coded out via STAR
Are there any 'voltage tricking' units out there? Not sure what kind of rabbit hole that might be and if it's even worth it if the computer will still show not ready, but might be worth a little searching?

Our state (WA) just did away with emission testing completely this year, and I think others are following, so maybe this is the last time you have to deal with it!
Old 03-08-2020, 10:35 PM

CLS55, CL63
The tuner pulled up the voltage of the O2 sensors in STAR, and it was consistent, so he doesn't think they are bad
Old 03-11-2020, 12:36 PM

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
W211 e500 (Sold), w204 c180, w203 c180, w201 190e, W219 CLS 55
Originally Posted by PieRat
If your going to throw money away on another tune why not get the tuner to dyno tune it instead of getting another box tune? I tried raceiq and their tune had bad fueling and would pop out of gear at top end any throttle application since the rev limiter didn't seem to work anymore. Tony gave up on me without refund so I would advise against it but lots of others have had success. And since you dont have the cable or tune file for your eurocharged tune you cant run back like I did.

If you do get a new tune monitor the ltft they can be an earlier indicator of bad fueling if the tuner cant get idle and low throttle application maps rignt open loop (wot) is probably off too.
Which tune do you have today?
Old 03-11-2020, 04:18 PM

Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
CLS55
Eurocharged. Jerry's tunes have always been bang on for me.

Old 03-12-2020, 12:43 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
If your secondary O2 are turned off changes are they you have no primaty cats.
Even if you turn them on, the CEL will be triggered due to no cats being present.
You will not pass emissions.
Old 03-13-2020, 08:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55 AMG
I'm dealing with this issue right now, I have catless headers and a Race IQ tune with a Check Engine Light on.
Tony turned off the rear O2 sensor DTCs for cat efficiency and so on but could not turn.. or would not turn off the DTCs for O2 heater circuit (P0141 and P0161). He told me to code them out with STAR or plug the rear O2s back in. I spoke with a local guy that has a lot of experience with STAR and he said on some cars he can turn the last two DTCs off and on other cars he can't.
So with that knowledge, I'm just going to make two jumper harnesses that reach the new location of the rear O2s and plug them back in. Only thing that sucks is that I'll have to weld in an additional bung for my wideband.
Old 03-13-2020, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 356 Likes on 307 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
No reason to turn off O2's IMO. I put extensions on the O2 and that was that. Been driving a car for years like that and have done it to many, as have others in my shop, with no issues. Will go right through emissions and everything is coded like factory. Maybe some cars it will not work ....who know's.

Last edited by SICAMG; 03-13-2020 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-13-2020, 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,488 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
Originally Posted by gheorghe
I'm dealing with this issue right now, I have catless headers and a Race IQ tune with a Check Engine Light on.
Tony turned off the rear O2 sensor DTCs for cat efficiency and so on but could not turn.. or would not turn off the DTCs for O2 heater circuit (P0141 and P0161). He told me to code them out with STAR or plug the rear O2s back in. I spoke with a local guy that has a lot of experience with STAR and he said on some cars he can turn the last two DTCs off and on other cars he can't.
So with that knowledge, I'm just going to make two jumper harnesses that reach the new location of the rear O2s and plug them back in. Only thing that sucks is that I'll have to weld in an additional bung for my wideband.
The rear O2s don't need to be installed in the exhaust pipes for the heaters to work, only plugged into the harness.
Old 03-13-2020, 01:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55 AMG
Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
The rear O2s don't need to be installed in the exhaust pipes for the heaters to work, only plugged into the harness.
I agree but I don't want to zip tie them somewhere under, I said if they have to be plugged back in, might as well make them go into their intended home.