Sponsored by:

Limited Slip Differential

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
Limited Slip Differential

While perusing aftermarket sites I happen to notice a limited slip differential for a E55. I was a bit taken back. I've been dealing with American iron for years and I thought that all high performance sports vehicles had limited slip rears. What's the deal? There must be a reason that MB and AMG didn't put one on the E55.
It sounds like that might be one of the first upgrades that needs to be done to lower quarter times. What do you all think. Has any done the punkin switch.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:50 PM

MB E55 2004
I've heard 1sec off 0-60mph and 1sec off the 1/4mi, with the right combination.

Sincerely,
Manuel

Note: I was quoted $5,000 and mine in exchange.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
MB was just too cheap to put one in. They think that ASR can control wheel spin, but to me its just not right that when you want traction, the car is actually braking.

There is a limited slip available for the E55 but you have to drive it to AMG in Germany for them to fit it to your car. And before you ask, no, there is no Euro delivery for AMG cars.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by norb
MB was just too cheap to put one in. They think that ASR can control wheel spin, but to me its just not right that when you want traction, the car is actually braking.

There is a limited slip available for the E55 but you have to drive it to AMG in Germany for them to fit it to your car. And before you ask, no, there is no Euro delivery for AMG cars.
No euro delivery for AMG cars? Sorry bud but unless I dream these things up you are 100% wrong. Look around it is done often. Last I checked I have had my cars set up for euro delivery. Guess that was magic.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63 AMG
Really, go check out the official mbusa web page, it says plain as day that no AMG cars are available for Euro Delivery. 100% wrong?

http://www.mbusa.com/brand/container...menu=3_0&sub=6

But I'm sure you won't admit you were wrong. Your to California for that.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Really, go check out the official mbusa web page, it says plain as day that no AMG cars are available for Euro Delivery. 100% wrong?

http://www.mbusa.com/brand/container...menu=3_0&sub=6

But I'm sure you won't admit you were wrong. Your to California for that.
Go look in the W203 forum. There are photos of people with their C32's sitting at the kundin center (sorry my spelling could be off.. not German) in Sindelfingen. Maybe they are lying. I have had both of my last 2 AMG cars scheduled to be picked up IN EUROPE but both times I canceled the trip due to work and because I needed the car sooner than when I wanted to take a vacation. I don’t care what the web page says (I know it say not available for AMG cars... duh...) but some rules can be changed).

Norb you are 100% wrong and there is no way you can get out of this one. I don’t care where you are from or where I am from. Fact remains that you are wrong. There is no subjectivity and no personal preference in this debate.

Would you like to know how to get the an AMG car picked up at the factory? I will let you in on the secret. Talk to the regional rep for the dealership (the one in charge of vehicle allocation). Just ask him to have the car put into European delivery. I think there is a thread in the W203 forum right now about a C55 being set for European delivery.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63 AMG
If I already posted that on the OFFICIAL MB website that Euro delivery isn't available for AMGs, then how can I be 100% wrong? Is everything black and white for you? Geez, get a grip.

So you can pull strings and get an AMG car Euro Delivered, I'll admit that I believed what MB put on their site.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
If I already posted that on the OFFICIAL MB website that Euro delivery isn't available for AMGs, then how can I be 100% wrong? Is everything black and white for you? Geez, get a grip.

So you can pull strings and get an AMG car Euro Delivered, I'll admit that I believed what MB put on their site.
Norb, you're not 100% wrong, but you're not 100% right either.

AMG cars are not available for the EDP.

This changed in the last couple months with the release of the C55. The C32 was available on the EDP. The C32 was not available for EDP when it was first released, but in time it was added to the program. Expect that for the C55 and maybe a few other models.

-s-
Old 08-18-2004, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Does this make is possible to get a euro delivery C55 AMG with an LSD installed by AMG?
Old 08-18-2004, 01:35 PM

2006 Corvette Coupe
Unlikely. AMG's official policy states that they don't do work like that on US bound cars. For some reason they really seem to want it done in Germany for Germans.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by scorchie
Norb, you're not 100% wrong, but you're not 100% right either.

AMG cars are not available for the EDP.

This changed in the last couple months with the release of the C55. The C32 was available on the EDP. The C32 was not available for EDP when it was first released, but in time it was added to the program. Expect that for the C55 and maybe a few other models.

-s-
You can get any AMG car you would like on the European Delivery Program. It is not written in the rules as such but you simply need to speak with the regional rep and have the car designated as European Delivery. I have picked up an S55 (2001) on the program and it was said to not be permitted as well. My E55 and my SL55 were both done as European Delivery vehicles but I had the cars sent to the US because one trip fell apart due to work and the other vehicle was needed sooner than when I could take a 3-4 week vacation.

You need to know who to talk to when placing the order for your cars. The regional rep can normally get the car set-up for European Delivery but if that fails there is always the next level (never had to go that far though). My next W221 S-AMG or C219 will be a Euro Delivery car.

It is not restricted to the C32 or the C55.

Time to give the thread back to the real topic.... Limited Slip Diff... It is a must in this car. Why MB has not done this is beyond me. If I took this car to a sporting event I would most likely buy a MKB diff. But then again something tells me you could get the AMG diff sent over here. Just need to know who to call at MB DE.

Last edited by CynCarvin32; 08-18-2004 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 CLS55 AMG
Where can a LSD be purchased for the W211 E55? I want one.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Chappy
Does this make is possible to get a euro delivery C55 AMG with an LSD installed by AMG?
If you do EDP on your car and show up at AMG the next day with a fistfull of Euros, I am sure they will do what you would like to your car.

-s-
Old 08-18-2004, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
You can get any AMG car you would like on the European Delivery Program. It is not written in the rules as such but you simply need to speak with the regional rep and have the car designated as European Delivery.
Apparently you know who to talk with; on the other hand, apparently I do not... so effectively, I can't get this. Norb probably can't get this. So he's pretty much right, with the exception of the C32. And you're pretty much right, because you can't get the cars. Like I said, neither of you are 100% right or wrong.

If you'd like to help me get my next car on EDP then I'd be really grateful. Maybe I could move up the list a bit too.

-s-
Old 08-18-2004, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by Chappy
The software for the new ESP settings and such are not DOT cert. so it can not be sent to the usa for legal/government reasons.

So even if you took the car to AMG they would most likely not put it in a US spec car. Hey next time I am there I just might try this on one of my cars. Trouble is, with warranty issues and DOT regulations I can see issues coming to the surface.

There must be a way to get it mailed to the states. But its most likely to go to MKB and just buy their part instead.

Last edited by CynCarvin32; 08-18-2004 at 07:20 PM.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by scorchie
Apparently you know who to talk with; on the other hand, apparently I do not... so effectively, I can't get this. Norb probably can't get this. So he's pretty much right, with the exception of the C32. And you're pretty much right, because you can't get the cars. Like I said, neither of you are 100% right or wrong.

If you'd like to help me get my next car on EDP then I'd be really grateful. Maybe I could move up the list a bit too.

-s-

Its not a special club There is no membership fee (with your car list you must have some connections at MBNA!).

But if you go to purchase another AMG in the future let me know and maybe a string can be pulled. Then you can see if you can get euro AMG suspensions and LSD's installed at the AMG factory!
Old 08-19-2004, 01:00 AM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
I found one at http://www.kleemannusa.com/ .Apparently it's not been available for long.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:19 AM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
'09 CLK550, '21 Camaro ZL1 1LE, '06 C55 AMG, '20 AMG GT53
Since the new Chrysler 300M Hemi has supposedly the same rear center section as the E55, then maybe someone in the states will have a cheaper version of our rear available as a LSD.....just a thought. Does anyone know if the 300C Hemi has a LSD from the factory? I know for a fact that the 300's rear uses a 2.82 ratio with the Hemi option. That would be even better.

Last edited by Stephen04E55; 08-19-2004 at 07:35 AM.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:35 AM

C-Class
you can get also a differental from AMG Manufaktur and Brabus for all powerfull cars.

AMG wants about 3000€ for this, imho a very good investiton.
here is the price-list:
http://www3.mercedes-benz.com/omb/am...manu_preis.pdf

Last edited by Felix; 08-20-2004 at 05:38 AM.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:48 AM

E55
I have checked on the AMG LSD and it's not a good part number in the US. So you'd have to buy it in Europe and ship it here. But what about the reporgramming of the ESP etc.? WHo's gonna supply the software - or is any neccesary??
Old 08-20-2004, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63 AMG
AMG won't sell you the LSD unless they install it themselves at their shop. Unless you're a well connected Californian, you're out of luck.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W221 S65 AMG
KLEEMANN LSD Conversion

Product Info:

KLEEMANN LSD Conversion: $2,300.00 plus shipping Installation time should be in the 3-4 hour range.

KLEEMANN Limited Slip Differential

What good is power if it cannot be put to the ground? Mercedes-Benz utilizes a traction control system through the ESP system. The ESP system senses wheel spin and applies the brakes on the spinning wheel, due to the "open" differential the opposite wheel is now receiving power. At no time do BOTH wheels receive power, its either one or the other. If wheel spin cannot be controlled with this method the ESP system will close the throttle to limit the torque produced by the engine. This approach is not the high performance approach to limited wheel spin.

The Kleemann Limited Slip Differential is a 60% locking mechanism. This device applies a 60% lock-up ratio between BOTH rear wheels, meaning one has 60% of the drive power, the other 40%. At no time will only ONE wheel receive ALL the engines power. By powering both drive wheels one distributes the engines power evenly, reducing wheel spin and lowering acceleration times. A W211 E55 AMG will drop over 0.3 of a second to sixty with this modification alone.

Kleemann Limited Slip Differentials are available for all "large housing" differential cases. Please contact your nearest Kleemann agent to discuss your application
Old 08-20-2004, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
AMG won't sell you the LSD unless they install it themselves at their shop. Unless you're a well connected Californian, you're out of luck.
I've been trying for 6 months to find the right people to talk to about this. I was able to convince the local dealer to let me EDP an E55 next Spring but getting other AMG installed options has been impossible. AMG only will install at their factory for non-North American cars. I wonder if I can grey-market one?