W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Fuel Pump Available Alone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2020, 05:38 PM

Received 158 Likes on 110 Posts
14 E63s AMG, 03 E55 AMG, 13 GL63 AMG, 95 M3
Fuel Pump Available Alone?

Is there a reliable source/part # for just one of the fuel pumps on our E55s?

Dealer (w/ previous owner) did the recall 4 years/20k ago, but they didn't install the adapter harness so one pump was run backwards. It now has the harness installed as of earlier this year. I started having some trouble cranking and not starting, decided to pull the cover and ohm test, the pump that wasn't previously switched was good at 0.5 ohm, the other pump is off the charts...

So, the assembly w/ filters that is $500 really doesn't need to be replaced, hoping to just do that one pump? I also don't want to chance with some knockoff either. I searched but there are so many threads on fuel pumps and all relating to the assembly.

Thanks all!
Old 10-16-2020, 05:54 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
CLS55
it’s just a fuel pump. find something reasonable that fits in the bucket, wire it up and then see if you have adequate pressure at WOT

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...lp-needed.html
Old 10-16-2020, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by coupesedan
it’s just a fuel pump. find something reasonable that fits in the bucket, wire it up and then see if you have adequate pressure at WOT

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...lp-needed.html
Thanks, I just might try that if someone doesn't have a specific part # that's been proven for them.

Back when I managed a shop we had some motors melted from people getting knock off universal Walbro pumps that failed (of course those were 1 pump cars) so I'm always skeptical of parts quality, and don't like to have crimped wires if I can avoid them as it looks like most have their own style of connector. I'd love if VDO had a # to use, Mercedes has to source them to build the assemblies anyway.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:00 PM

OK well after referencing that thread it lead me to this one:
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...el-pump-4.html

This was essentially what I was looking for (a needle in a haystack of fuel-related threads on our cars!), consensus appears to be that our pumps are 300 lph (a lot of auto parts stores only carry ones rated at half that) and there are definitely ones that work, but require drilling, splicing, and may still not be as reliable as the stock units.

I think I'll just bite the bullet and get a stock replacement. Then I'll have an extra pump too.