Sponsored by:

New MB Owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2021, 01:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2004 E55 AMG
New MB Owner

My names Arthur, 22, Washington DC. I just bought a 2004 e55 AMG. 127k miles, very good condition. Excited to be a part of the MB community.
If there are any other e55 owners, please reach out to let me know what I need to do to the car to make it last and be reliable.

thanks!
The following 4 users liked this post by Arthurea:
kiluminati616 (04-14-2021), M5 LOL (04-13-2021), Saurabh914 (04-13-2021), Solo wing (08-02-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 01:47 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Received 463 Likes on 348 Posts
Hi!

Welcome to MBWorld!

Moving to the E55 Amg forum.

Good Luck!
Bob
The following users liked this post:
Arthurea (04-13-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 982 Likes on 764 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Welcome! Check the coolant reservoir, just squeeze the edges of the reservoir if they crumble under finger pressure you need to replace the reservoir. Check the hoses for the radiator system as well. Check the REST pump using a star diagnostic system. If you do not own a star diagnostic system that should be the first item you purchase. Check the headlight auto level linkage on the rear sway bar to ensure the bushings are still good. See if you can get into the headlight assemblies from the openings in the rear and verify the insulation is not falling off for the wires as they had some bad batches on the w210 e55. Front ball joints will wear so you need to proactively and preemptively replace those. If the heating and air conditioning system flapper valves in the dash are not routing the airflow correctly look under the hood next to the heater Duo valve because sometimes the hard plastic vacuum line that controls the flappers under the dash will break. It's an easy fix using a piece of vacuum tubing. After 17 years some of the o-rings are probably brittle by this time, keep an eye out where the oil filter housing bolts to the block as that is where I just finished repairing a oil leak on my car. The first time you run a quick test using a star diagnostic system it is possible you will end up with many many error codes. Just clear them all drive the car for a month and then recheck for any codes that show as current. Also, in case you do not know yet, there are jumper connections under the hood as the battery is under the rear seat. Do not, do not have the key fob in the ignition whenever you connect jumper cables or connect a new battery! When the key fob is in the ignition the circuits are energized and when you connect jumper cables it is possible to blow fuses or burn out some of the electronic modules. If you would like a PDF of the electrical schematics for your car PM me a message with your email address and I'll send you a copy from the six cylinder version but everything else is the same.
Arthurea (04-13-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 03:36 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by bbirdwell
Welcome! Check the coolant reservoir, just squeeze the edges of the reservoir if they crumble under finger pressure you need to replace the reservoir. Check the hoses for the radiator system as well. Check the REST pump using a star diagnostic system. If you do not own a star diagnostic system that should be the first item you purchase. Check the headlight auto level linkage on the rear sway bar to ensure the bushings are still good. See if you can get into the headlight assemblies from the openings in the rear and verify the insulation is not falling off for the wires as they had some bad batches on the w210 e55. Front ball joints will wear so you need to proactively and preemptively replace those. If the heating and air conditioning system flapper valves in the dash are not routing the airflow correctly look under the hood next to the heater Duo valve because sometimes the hard plastic vacuum line that controls the flappers under the dash will break. It's an easy fix using a piece of vacuum tubing. After 17 years some of the o-rings are probably brittle by this time, keep an eye out where the oil filter housing bolts to the block as that is where I just finished repairing a oil leak on my car. The first time you run a quick test using a star diagnostic system it is possible you will end up with many many error codes. Just clear them all drive the car for a month and then recheck for any codes that show as current. Also, in case you do not know yet, there are jumper connections under the hood as the battery is under the rear seat. Do not, do not have the key fob in the ignition whenever you connect jumper cables or connect a new battery! When the key fob is in the ignition the circuits are energized and when you connect jumper cables it is possible to blow fuses or burn out some of the electronic modules. If you would like a PDF of the electrical schematics for your car PM me a message with your email address and I'll send you a copy from the six cylinder version but everything else is the same.
Thanks man - I appreciate the time you took to giving me a thorough understanding of what I should be looking at! I’ll definitely be coming back to your post when I’m able to bring it to my buddy’s garage. Thanks again

Old 04-13-2021, 03:39 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by speedlimit
Hi!

Welcome to MBWorld!

Moving to the E55 Amg forum.

Good Luck!
Bob
hi Bob, I think you moved me to the w210 forum but my car is a w211, how do I switch forums?
thanks
Old 04-13-2021, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 982 Likes on 764 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
And my bad! I answered as if it was a W210 like my '99 E55 and not as my other car which is a W211 E55! LOL! So...reconsider my previous post!

Read the following:

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ify-parts.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...intenance.html

Download and read the attachments. Previous services should be maintained in the Central Gateway (CGW) if proper procedures were followed. You will need STAR to pull the data out of the CGW.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ml#post7250102

Be advised that the fuel pump relay is, in my opinon, the weakest link. I covered that weak link above.

Best to you.

Last edited by bbirdwell; 04-13-2021 at 08:44 PM.
Arthurea (04-14-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 09:01 PM

Received 152 Likes on 98 Posts
05 E55 (06 E55 RIP)
welcome dude, do some searching there is a decade of info for ya on here.
Arthurea (04-14-2021)
Old 04-14-2021, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 516 Likes on 432 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
Arthur,

Welcome to the AMG Family. It's nice to see a young guy getting into an older AMG. My best advice is to establish a maintenance spreadsheet for your E55. And document everything.
You will soon see your money disappearing from your wallet and your bank account. We all have experienced it, as all of our E55/E63 are 12+ yrs old.
There are a lot of experts on this forum, that know there stuff. This forum is a great resource, please utilize it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Yuille36:
Arthurea (04-14-2021), M5 LOL (04-14-2021)
Old 04-14-2021, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
Welcome ! 2003 E55 watch out your radiator.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ans-lines.html

Post more pix soon ! I have my E55 for 11 years.... love it every time I drive it.
Arthurea (04-14-2021)