W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unpleasant Surprise - Oil Filter disintegrated?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2021, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55 (09/2003)
Unpleasant Surprise - Oil Filter disintegrated?

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has seen something like this before:
Last time I changed the oil on my '04 E55 I had a very unpleasant and concerning surprise. Please check out the photos. It looks like the glue that holds together the cords of the filter hardened and/or dissolved! There were hard pieces (of glue?) all over the filter.

The oil filter was an original Mercedes Benz, bought at the dealership and was in the car for about 18 months, but less than 2900 miles. Didn't drive much due to Covid...

Never had an issue like this before or seen anything like it.

Before changing the oil, I used 1 canister of Chevron Techron in the fuel (not crankcase!) for 1 gas tank (and drove it about 220 miles). Used as advertised on the bottle.

Do you guys think it was the Chevron Techron? Some people swear on it. Some even say it is MB approved. What do you think happened?

Last edited by McWeiss; 05-14-2021 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-15-2021, 12:37 PM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Mercedes CLS 55 AMG
I will say that looks like its been in there for 15,000 miles and 4-5 years. I've never had any issues with the MANN fleece HU718/5 (which is correct for our engines). I used to buy my filters from the dealer because they were actually cheaper for me at $6 each. The last time I went to buy them I noticed issues with the threading on the filter you're describing here, and all 3 we took out of the package were like that. Something rang ... wrong ... about them, and I errored on the side of not ending up in a situation you're picturing here.

I ended up just buying them through Amazon instead. HU718/5 is HU718/5 whether it has a star on it or not.

The only thought I could have is that it wasn't properly seated all the way up and you crushed it during the install.
Old 05-15-2021, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,487 Likes on 985 Posts
This place is a joke.
Originally Posted by equitiesguy

The only thought I could have is that it wasn't properly seated all the way up and you crushed it during the install.
That's exactly what I was about to say, because I've seen it before.
Old 05-15-2021, 02:03 PM

Mercedes CLS 55 AMG
Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
That's exactly what I was about to say, because I've seen it before.
The one end does look suspiciously folded like it was crushed.

OP: I forgot to mention that I use Techron bottles (regular, and fuel cleaner) in my cars all the time, for over a decade. It's a non-issue, and has nothing to do with your oil filter.
Old 05-15-2021, 11:53 PM

W211 E55 (09/2003)
I will say that looks like its been in there for 15,000 miles and 4-5 years.
2900 miles... but I agree. It looks like it's been in there forever!

What you guys suggested to be what looks like the filter was crushed, is where I grabbed the filter to pull it off of the housing. It has a pretty tight/snug fit. I'm quite sure that I installed it correctly, since there are 2 lines (marks) on the filter which tell you when the filter is deep enough into the housing (when only 1 of the lines is visible and the other one hidden by the plastic part of the oil filter housing).
Although you never know...

But that would be the least scary explanation. A lot better than that those strings came lose by itself or whatever.

Last edited by McWeiss; 05-16-2021 at 12:01 AM.
Old 05-16-2021, 05:56 AM

Mercedes CLS 55 AMG
Originally Posted by McWeiss
2900 miles... but I agree. It looks like it's been in there forever!

What you guys suggested to be what looks like the filter was crushed, is where I grabbed the filter to pull it off of the housing. It has a pretty tight/snug fit. I'm quite sure that I installed it correctly, since there are 2 lines (marks) on the filter which tell you when the filter is deep enough into the housing (when only 1 of the lines is visible and the other one hidden by the plastic part of the oil filter housing).
Although you never know...

But that would be the least scary explanation. A lot better than that those strings came lose by itself or whatever.
I don't actually think you did something horribly idiotic, and caused this. I think you just didn't look close enough at the filter to see what I saw when the dealer handed them to me over the counter. Just pick up the MANN from another source, and you should be fine. I would change your oil immediately though. Maybe twice (drive 10-20 miles, and change it again, with a new filter).

I would also screw down the filter, torque it up, and then remove it and see what the filter looks like and if it's deformed in any way.

Last edited by equitiesguy; 05-16-2021 at 05:58 AM.
Old 05-16-2021, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 350 Likes on 301 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
Looks like something was added to the oil to make it have like that gel effect no ?
Old 05-17-2021, 12:29 PM

W211 E55 (09/2003)
I don't actually think you did something horribly idiotic, and caused this. I think you just didn't look close enough at the filter to see what I saw when the dealer handed them to me over the counter. Just pick up the MANN from another source, and you should be fine. I would change your oil immediately though. Maybe twice (drive 10-20 miles, and change it again, with a new filter).

I would also screw down the filter, torque it up, and then remove it and see what the filter looks like and if it's deformed in any way.
Yes, that's what I've planned. I already bought a couple MANN filters and going to change the oil again. Just to be careful.

It's a good idea to screw down the filter and remove it right away to check how it looks like.

Originally Posted by SICAMG
Looks like something was added to the oil to make it have like that gel effect no ?
No I didn't add anything to the oil. I put a bottle of Chevron Techron in the GAS and drove it about 220 miles before the oil change. I guess that's why the oil is so dark. Usually when I change the oil around 3k miles it looks almost like fresh oil.
Old 05-17-2021, 01:40 PM

Mercedes CLS 55 AMG
Originally Posted by McWeiss
Yes, that's what I've planned. I already bought a couple MANN filters and going to change the oil again. Just to be careful.

It's a good idea to screw down the filter and remove it right away to check how it looks like.

No I didn't add anything to the oil. I put a bottle of Chevron Techron in the GAS and drove it about 220 miles before the oil change. I guess that's why the oil is so dark. Usually when I change the oil around 3k miles it looks almost like fresh oil.
Techron to the fuel doesn't change the color of the oil. Only adding a required additive to the oil like Tutela would.
Old 05-17-2021, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 638 Likes on 439 Posts
04 E55 AMG (totaled), 07 S550 4Matic, 14 E63S
adding a required additive to the oil like Tutela would.
Required by who?
Old 05-17-2021, 03:05 PM

Mercedes CLS 55 AMG
Originally Posted by kevm14
Required by who?
Ferrari.
Old 05-19-2021, 12:44 PM

W211 E55 (09/2003)
Thanks for your input and the discussion.
On the weekend I'm going to check the oil filter and see how the filter and the oil look like and then I'm going to decide if I change the oil right away or drive it another gas tank with a bottle of techron and change it then.