W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Edmunds First Drive: 06 M5

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Face the facts. The M5 will school the performance of the E55. The car is way more technical and deserves more respect than a FI 5.5 litter making less HP. Props to BMW for always being ahead of MB. Anyone who things the car won't school your E55, keep dreaming cause when they come your going to be very dissapointed.
Old 09-10-2004, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Real Cars
Originally Posted by LifeDies
Face the facts. The M5 will school the performance of the E55. The car is way more technical and deserves more respect than a FI 5.5 litter making less HP. Props to BMW for always being ahead of MB. Anyone who things the car won't school your E55, keep dreaming cause when they come your going to be very dissapointed.
Obvious asinine flamebait in it's most unadulterated form.

Please ban this troll.

-m
Old 09-10-2004, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Kain
You all complain how crap SMG is, yet you don't seem to be complaining about the F1 transmission in the Enzo.
oh geez, don't tell me ur comparing the SMG to the Ferrari F1 tranny now....

The Ferrari tranny should crap all over SMG I, II, III.........................
Old 09-10-2004, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

not in terms of looks and confort
Old 09-10-2004, 12:44 PM

N/A
Originally Posted by Jon200
oh geez, don't tell me ur comparing the SMG to the Ferrari F1 tranny now....

The Ferrari tranny should crap all over SMG I, II, III.........................
OMG! Proves you don't know anything about SMG. BMW's SMG is the FASTEST shifting sequential gearbox. SMG III rapes the box in the Enzo. You have no clue. Just wait, and I'll post a link.
Old 09-10-2004, 12:53 PM

E55
All this talk from the M5 guys. You know guys with really big ones don't go around talking about it all the time.................can you say overcompensating!
Old 09-10-2004, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
OMG! Proves you don't know anything about SMG. BMW's SMG is the FASTEST shifting sequential gearbox. SMG III rapes the box in the Enzo. You have no clue. Just wait, and I'll post a link.
Dude, I'd take an Enzo anyday over the M5 regardless of tranny. Now you've gone too far. Show's what a total dufus you are.
Old 09-10-2004, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
ASK US IF WE CARE!!! E55 HAS SLOWER SHIFTS, AND IT'S FINE WITH MOST OF THE PEOPLE HERE, NOW GO AWAY!
Old 09-10-2004, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You guys have to ignore him, like we do on the Bimmer boards. I have an M3 which I love, but am trading it in on Monday for an 05' E55. My wife is #2 on the M5 waitlist (she doesn't exactly know that yet). Both companies make awesome cars with equally different attributes. This is like saying blondes are better than brunettes, well... maybe not even that cut & dry.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 CLS55 AMG
Hahaha, every board hates this guy, even his fellow Bimmer guys!
Old 09-10-2004, 04:13 PM

Y'Know....For the sake of all our sanity, do we not all think it time that this subject, stirred up by a child after all, be dropped?
I am sure that with all the hype, most of it, I am sure, emanating from our friends in Munich, the new M5 is gonna be a helluva car. That much is sure.
It's going to give the E 55 a run for it's money, especially on the twisties.
That much is sure.
BMW have learned from their mistakes. SMG will be vastly improved, i-Drive will have been made more user friendly, and the car, in the flesh is going to be a looker, having kicked "Bungle" upstairs. That much is sure.
It's also 3 years behind the W211 E55, and you can bet that within a year the boys at Stuttgart will have produced something even more outrageous. That much is sure.
In the meantime, lets wait until it's out on the road, available in your friendly local dealer for a test drive, because they will bite your hand off to put you in one if you drive up to the showroom in the E 55. That much is sure.
So....Let's all be adult about this, and do what you do in any public place. Ignore a snivelling, unruly kid that is just trying, (and unfortunately succeeding) to get under your supposedly mature skins.
Now, Kain, be a good boy, sit down, be quiet, and eat your din-dins!
Old 09-10-2004, 04:27 PM

W208 CLK320
Originally Posted by norb
Dude, I'd take an Enzo anyday over the M5 regardless of tranny. Now you've gone too far. Show's what a total dufus you are.
While the Enzo is overall a far superior vehicle, the M5 SMG does have superior shifting times. This is a proven fact.

Originally Posted by boxed
comparing the F1 shifters from a F355 which is about .15 ...

the M with sport mode on 6, DSC on it shifts at .05
Meh, I would personally take an E55 over either of those. It's far more comfortable and luxurious than both, and that's what I look for around here with our horrendous rush-hour traffic.

Last edited by Talos; 09-10-2004 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I know I'm not the only one who thinks all this arguing is stupid until a few members here actually get their M5's.
Old 09-10-2004, 05:56 PM

you think AMG cant get more then 476hp on a 5.5 liter? whats 493hp on the SL, CL and sclasses and 624hp on the SLR with the same engine?
Old 09-10-2004, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 CLS55 AMG

The guy who posted before me makes a good point although there is a significant difference between the 55K motor and the SLR motor. The point is, Mercedes IS NOT trying to squeeze every last horse from the 55K motor. Do you honestly think that MB couldnt build a similair engine as the new M5's V10 if they wanted to? They arent trying to and they obviously dont need to. MB could very likely build a better motor if that was their intention.
Old 09-10-2004, 06:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
It's because Mercedes' target audience isn't guys who'll most likely flog their engine.

But I don't understand, it seems with all the stress the M5's engine will be under, you start just whipping it and it'll blow.

M3.. again?

Time will tell, but until then, everything that's been posted including figures (you know what i mean, speeds etc.,) are just speculation.
Old 09-10-2004, 07:25 PM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
New M5

I have driven the new 5 Series on several occasions and I didn't care if it had a 1000 HP my back could not stand the seats. It in my opinion is not a competitor to the E55.

Contrary to many owners the E55 is not a rip your eyeballs out sports sedan. That's not what I wanted. I have a 2 seater with a big torque motor for that purpose. Although the E55 is probably as fast as my Vette the handling of the E55 is not in the same league. AND IT'S OK. I would never take my Vette on a roadtrip more than 50 miles. The E55 is as comfortable as any car I have ever driven. It's a joy and it is extremely fast.

The M5, if it is similar to the 545i, is not my cup of tea. That's not to say that it is any less impressive or is not a truely great car, it's just not what I like. I guess that's why they make vanilla and chocolate.

Regardless, I am in heaven because the late 60's are back with a vengence. Let the HP wars continue. It could vanish again in a second. (Remember the changes made from 1970 to 74) The cars that are available are the fastest, quickest, best handling, best built ever. Let's enjoy them all. The E65 can't be far off.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:13 PM

W208 CLK320
Originally Posted by Vetluve
Contrary to many owners the E55 is not a rip your eyeballs out sports sedan. That's not what I wanted. I have a 2 seater with a big torque motor for that purpose. Although the E55 is probably as fast as my Vette the handling of the E55 is not in the same league. AND IT'S OK. I would never take my Vette on a roadtrip more than 50 miles. The E55 is as comfortable as any car I have ever driven. It's a joy and it is extremely fast.

The M5, if it is similar to the 545i, is not my cup of tea. That's not to say that it is any less impressive or is not a truely great car, it's just not what I like. I guess that's why they make vanilla and chocolate.
This is exactly what I have been trying to say. Thank you!
Old 09-10-2004, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
WTF???

I posted this same link yesterday and it got DELETED??? You Benz owners are so ignorant.
No you IDIOT. It got moved to OT, where it belongs.
Old 09-11-2004, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by M5 RUS

I will post again a review by Autoweek UK:

Noticable step in power delivery just before 6000rpm. Every time you red-line it and flick up to the next cog you're bang slap right in the middle of the sweet spot. Super fast, even in 400bhp mode. However, slip it into P500 Sport (have to use iDrive or pre-program the M-Drive button) and it's quite simply the fastest thing I've ever driven.

Bob

This Bull crappp just never ends, gimmy fkn numbers, dont give me that worthless BS.
What does fkn "super fast " mean?? Is Bob compairing it to his tricycle?? Lots and lots of worthless bull and not much more.
To quote y ou RUS "lest wait and see" dude, because Bob sounds like he is smoking Yugo's tail pipe.

"every time you red-line"??? With e55 you get all hte goodies at 2600 rpm. You and Bob can go and redline all you want all hte time.
Old 09-11-2004, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by Vetluver

I have a 2 seater with a big torque motor for that purpose. Although the E55 is probably as fast as my Vette the handling of the E55 is not in the same league. AND IT'S OK. I would never take my Vette on a roadtrip more than 50 miles.

Wow, 50 miles drive in your Vette and you forget your name?
That Vette is junk AND ITS OK.
Old 09-11-2004, 02:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

OMG! Proves you don't know anything about SMG.
Old 09-11-2004, 02:28 AM
Almost a Member!

Wow. a lot of people need to cool down here.

The SMG system on the M cars, and the SMG system on the regular BMW cars are two completely different systems. and it does shift faster (on paper) than the system on the Ferrari 355 and the 360. I don't know how it compares to the Enzo or the 360 Challenge Stradale.

The difference between the E55 AMG and the M5 is akin to the difference between that Chrysler ME12 concept and a Ferrari Enzo. Sure the Chrysler may be faster than the Ferrari, but the Ferrari name has a much better image and history than Chrysler, much in the same way BMW M has a much better image and history than AMG.

and finally:

"every time you red-line"??? With e55 you get all hte goodies at 2600 rpm. You and Bob can go and redline all you want all hte time.
That quote just shows that you simply can't compare the E55 to the M5. The E55 is a luxury boat with a big engine. The M5, to quote hamster: "is a racecar with a [sedan] body on top of it." The joy of driving an M car is to redline it in every gear, and listen to the engine sing.
Old 09-11-2004, 02:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

it doesn't matter whether SMG shifts faster than Ferrari trannies.

I'd take the Enzo over ANY Bangle's work
Old 09-11-2004, 02:39 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by Jon200
it doesn't matter whether SMG shifts faster than Ferrari trannies.

I'd take the Enzo over ANY Bangle's work
ehh... i'll take a Carrera GT over an Enzo

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Edmunds First Drive: 06 M5