Sponsored by:

Middle car seat tether in wagon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2022, 01:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
e63 AMG wagon
Middle car seat tether in wagon

The manual says in order to install a car seat with tether in middle seat you must remove the cargo cover / net for the rear of the wagon. Has anyone installed one without having to remove it and leave it off? I would prefer to have the cargo cover and net installed for a family road trip along with car seats.
Old 06-20-2022, 12:59 PM

Received 183 Likes on 144 Posts
W221 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by iakbar
The manual says in order to install a car seat with tether in middle seat you must remove the cargo cover / net for the rear of the wagon. Has anyone installed one without having to remove it and leave it off? I would prefer to have the cargo cover and net installed for a family road trip along with car seats.
You might want to post on the non-AMG W211 forum. Lots more W211 wagons over there.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211-20/
Old 06-20-2022, 01:23 PM

W221 S63 AMG
If it's like other cars I've had with rear shades to cover the boot, you can remove the shade, install the car seat, then reattach the shade. The shade will fit back into position because the child seat's seat belt is so thin.

I was able to make this screenshot from LegitStreetCar's E55 wagon to show how the seat belt will fit. I know the seat is laying down, it's the only position he had it in in this video:

I've done this on two different vehicles.
Old 06-20-2022, 03:20 PM

e63 AMG wagon
Originally Posted by CQHall
You might want to post on the non-AMG W211 forum. Lots more W211 wagons over there.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211-20/
thanks
Old 06-20-2022, 03:21 PM

e63 AMG wagon
Originally Posted by CQHall
If it's like other cars I've had with rear shades to cover the boot, you can remove the shade, install the car seat, then reattach the shade. The shade will fit back into position because the child seat's seat belt is so thin.

I was able to make this screenshot from LegitStreetCar's E55 wagon to show how the seat belt will fit. I know the seat is laying down, it's the only position he had it in in this video:

I've done this on two different vehicles.
thanks I actually wanted to use the middle seat and that is where manual says you cannot use with shade. In order to reattached the shade you would need to fold the seat down while the car seat is installed

Last edited by iakbar; 06-20-2022 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-20-2022, 05:08 PM

W221 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by iakbar
thanks I actually wanted to use the middle seat and that is where manual says you cannot use with shade. In order to reattached the shade you would need to fold the seat down while the car seat is installed
Oh. I see what you are talking about. The middle seat tether is on the floor of the boot, not along the seat. So, it'll always press against the shade when you pull it tightly.
Old 06-20-2022, 10:13 PM

W221 S63 AMG

Old 06-21-2022, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 179 Likes on 146 Posts
1999 C43 AMG, 2005 E55 Wagon
the cargo cover pieces slides out easily. Slide it out, attach your seat tether to that hook in the floor, then slide the cover back in over the strap so that the strap now runs in between the cargo cover and the back of the seat. when you tighten the strap it will apply a bit of pressure to the cargo cover but I highly doubt it's enough to be a problem.
Old 06-22-2022, 07:40 AM

e63 AMG wagon
Originally Posted by Sulaco
the cargo cover pieces slides out easily. Slide it out, attach your seat tether to that hook in the floor, then slide the cover back in over the strap so that the strap now runs in between the cargo cover and the back of the seat. when you tighten the strap it will apply a bit of pressure to the cargo cover but I highly doubt it's enough to be a problem.
I will try that. Figured it might be a challenge since you need to fold the seats partially to remove the cover, and you would need the car seat placed on the seats to run the tether.will give it a shot. Seems really silly that it was designed this way.