Sponsored by:

lazy power briefly after shift (M113K)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2023, 05:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
'97 Frankenstein
lazy power briefly after shift (M113K)

(Note, this is on my bone stock 2005 G55 - M113K w/ 722.6 - and not an E, but you guys are the most savvy with this powertrain and its various bugs. So here goes... )

I'm noticing during moderate to hard acceleration that, immediately AFTER the upshift, there's a distinct flat spot in the power delivery. The flat spot lasts about a half-second, maybe a second at the very most. Then the power and acceleration resumes as expected. It's not relegated only to the 2-3 or 3-4 shift; it happens after either one (and possibly 4-5, but I don't know for sure).

I want to emphasize that the gearchanges themselves are fine. What I'm observing is happening right after the shift is complete. It's like the supercharger clutch is briefly disengaged, or the throttle is closed (or both) during this period. That's what it feels like; I don't have any datalogging equipment to scrutinize this.

I haven't seen quite this characteristic mentioned elsewhere in this forum. But I'm surely not the first to observe it.

Has anyone experienced this? I would love any insights, or ideas on how to address it.

Last edited by JKav; 06-16-2023 at 05:11 PM.
Old 06-14-2023, 07:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 356 Likes on 307 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
Sounds like a torque limiting situation from the transmission control from the ECU/TCM program.
The following users liked this post:
HubTraum (07-14-2023)
Old 06-14-2023, 07:24 PM

'97 Frankenstein
Originally Posted by SICAMG
Sounds like a torque limiting situation from the transmission control from the ECU/TCM program.
Could be. Is there some issue or reason that would cause the TCU to request the ECU to limit torque after the shift?
Old 07-11-2023, 01:11 PM

'97 Frankenstein
Have any of you guys ever observed this post-shift flat-spot behavior in an E55?
Old 07-11-2023, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
99 ford lightning
sure have all fixed up now, with tcu tune
Old 07-13-2023, 03:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 180 Likes on 147 Posts
1999 C43 AMG, 2005 E55 Wagon
Has happened to me for years but doesn't do it under tame driving or wide open throttle. Only does it under moderate accelerations so I just ignore it.

the buckle of the supercharger pulley engaging is far more annoying
Old 07-13-2023, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 356 Likes on 307 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
Originally Posted by Sulaco
Has happened to me for years but doesn't do it under tame driving or wide open throttle. Only does it under moderate accelerations so I just ignore it.

the buckle of the supercharger pulley engaging is far more annoying
Tell me about it !! I have a 168-77 stack and if the compressor happens to kick on at the same time it shifts with my race TCU.....WOW !!! Like some one tapped the *** end for sure LOL

Last edited by SICAMG; 07-13-2023 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-20-2023, 03:51 AM

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by JKav
(Note, this is on my bone stock 2005 G55 - M113K w/ 722.6 - and not an E, but you guys are the most savvy with this powertrain and its various bugs. So here goes... )

I'm noticing during moderate to hard acceleration that, immediately AFTER the upshift, there's a distinct flat spot in the power delivery. The flat spot lasts about a half-second, maybe a second at the very most. Then the power and acceleration resumes as expected. It's not relegated only to the 2-3 or 3-4 shift; it happens after either one (and possibly 4-5, but I don't know for sure).

I want to emphasize that the gearchanges themselves are fine. What I'm observing is happening right after the shift is complete. It's like the supercharger clutch is briefly disengaged, or the throttle is closed (or both) during this period. That's what it feels like; I don't have any datalogging equipment to scrutinize this.

I haven't seen quite this characteristic mentioned elsewhere in this forum. But I'm surely not the first to observe it.

Has anyone experienced this? I would love any insights, or ideas on how to address it.
It's not addressable without tuning the tcu. What's happening is the tcu had a very aggressive torque request for the gear shift itself, but also opens up the torque converter clutch. The torque converter clutch is quite laggy by design in its response to pressures sent by the tcu to it, so once your gear shifts complete, the tcu will hold the torque request a bit longer to let the converter finish locking up so you avoid a weird jolt where the engine RPMS may runaway after the shift completed, and then the torque converter closes cause the engine rpm to drop harshly.

Tuning the stock tcu is a good way around this, Mercedes were far too aggressive on the torque request mechanism, likely to let the gearbox survive 20 years on the same ATF out of the factory 😅

Source: I've reverse engineered the egs52 module for my own TCU.
The following 2 users liked this post by rnd_ash:
AudiologyVA (08-20-2023), JKav (08-20-2023)
Old 08-20-2023, 05:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
99 ford lightning
rnd ash always has good info and content.
Old 08-20-2023, 01:14 PM

'97 Frankenstein
Originally Posted by rnd_ash
It's not addressable without tuning the tcu. What's happening is the tcu had a very aggressive torque request for the gear shift itself, but also opens up the torque converter clutch. The torque converter clutch is quite laggy by design in its response to pressures sent by the tcu to it, so once your gear shifts complete, the tcu will hold the torque request a bit longer to let the converter finish locking up so you avoid a weird jolt where the engine RPMS may runaway after the shift completed, and then the torque converter closes cause the engine rpm to drop harshly.

Tuning the stock tcu is a good way around this, Mercedes were far too aggressive on the torque request mechanism, likely to let the gearbox survive 20 years on the same ATF out of the factory 😅

Source: I've reverse engineered the egs52 module for my own TCU.
Thank you, this is exactly the insight I was hoping for.

I'd love a TCU retuning solution that resolves this characteristic. Are you the right guy for this?
Old 08-20-2023, 04:05 PM

Received 239 Likes on 200 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG, 2005 SLK 350 AMG

I'd love a TCU retuning solution that resolves this characteristic. Are you the right guy for this?
Right here: https://mkultraelectronics.com/
JKav (08-21-2023)
Old 08-21-2023, 10:18 AM

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
2003 E55 AMG

I'm not the right guy for this kind of solution, but as already pointed out, mkultra is a very good tune for these cars!
JKav (08-21-2023)