Sponsored by:

Cooling for Heat soak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2023, 11:02 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
W211 e55 amg
Cooling for Heat soak

Trying to combat this heat soak here in FL, Ambient temp was 85 the other day and cruising IAT's were at roughly 112 with them spiking up to 132 at WOT on the stock set up. I split the cooling system and got a PLM XL heat exchanger paired with a Suvneer secondary, i dont have a reservoir as i was planning to bleed the system using the bleed port on the side of the Suvneer HE . I already have the upgraded Bosch pump but im now thinking about adding a VRP under hood tank. Just wanted to get every ones opinion on if its worth it or not and how much of a difference it has made in lowering IAT's, ive tried searching through the forums but i couldn't find much. Also i would like to know every ones cooling set up and how they like it. I am planning to go 77mm clutched pulley with VRP LTH in the future and would like to do the supporting mods first. But this is also my daily driver so i dont want to mess with the AC by adding a Killer chiller. Im only 19 and relatively new to modding AMG's but the E55's has always been one of my dream cars and would love to make it look and perform its best.
Old 08-10-2023, 07:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 427 Likes on 375 Posts
2005 CLS55 AMG W219 C219
Did you use factory cabling for power to the pump? You can also rewire it so it runs on ignition. In factory mode, the pump does not always run is my understanding.

If you have split cooling, a self bleeding system is quite easy to achieve. See the topic of @UncleBenz55 here: https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ml#post8528716

Im running a slightly bigger intercooler with Bosch 010 pump, with wiring set to ignition. Car has stock power. More info & lots of pics here: https://mbworld.org/forums/c219/8443...ml#post8791081

Old 08-10-2023, 08:02 AM

W211 e55 amg
I heard you can change that when getting it tuned so i was going to wait till then.
Old 08-10-2023, 08:11 AM

Received 232 Likes on 194 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG, 2005 SLK 350 AMG
Originally Posted by Everlaster
Trying to combat this heat soak here in FL, Ambient temp was 85 the other day and cruising IAT's were at roughly 112 with them spiking up to 132 at WOT on the stock set up. I split the cooling system and got a PLM XL heat exchanger paired with a Suvneer secondary, i dont have a reservoir as i was planning to bleed the system using the bleed port on the side of the Suvneer HE . I already have the upgraded Bosch pump but im now thinking about adding a VRP under hood tank. Just wanted to get every ones opinion on if its worth it or not and how much of a difference it has made in lowering IAT's, ive tried searching through the forums but i couldn't find much. Also i would like to know every ones cooling set up and how they like it. I am planning to go 77mm clutched pulley with VRP LTH in the future and would like to do the supporting mods first. But this is also my daily driver so i dont want to mess with the AC by adding a Killer chiller. Im only 19 and relatively new to modding AMG's but the E55's has always been one of my dream cars and would love to make it look and perform its best.
You may have air in the system. The reservoir doesn't help with overall cooling in itself, but it does help a lot with the purging of air. Getting the air out can be/is difficult. The air will settle in the highest points in the system and reduce the capcity of the system.
Old 08-10-2023, 08:39 AM

W211 e55 amg
I bled the system when I installed the bosch pump, also when I installed it i pinched the lines to not lose any coolant.
Old 08-12-2023, 05:40 PM

Received 157 Likes on 95 Posts
W211 E220, W211 E55, W219 CLS 500
Bleeding the system without a vacuum bleeder takes a good amount of time. 132F, which equals 55°C on WOT seems okay with those ambient temps. I personally would use a Pierburg CWA100 pump over a Bosch Pump, especially if you have more than one radiator.
Old 08-19-2023, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts
Cls63 & C32
Iat below 140F wot is normal for stock setup, when going pulleys your only solution is water meth injection, other solutions like HE's pumps reservoirs are waste of money cause you are still fighting with your small oem intercooler below the sc.