W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

New pricing as of Feb 1

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2005 | 12:18 AM

2005 E55 AMG
New pricing as of Feb 1

Found this through google today, first time i have heard anything about it. Looks like the new base price is going to go from $79,500 to $80,800 starting february 1st. Guess the 1 month delay in production of my car is gonna cost me an extra $1,300 when it arrives in a few weeks.

New Price List
Old 01-31-2005 | 09:45 AM

2004 E55 tectite grey/charcoal
There was a price increase in the middle of the 2004 model year too and it happened while my car was in production. My dealer said the MB policy has always been that you get the price that was in effect when you ordered the car so you shouldn't have to pay the increase. If your dealer is trying to pass the increase to you they are gouging you.
Old 01-31-2005 | 09:53 AM

'05 E55
Originally Posted by AMGe55
There was a price increase in the middle of the 2004 model year too and it happened while my car was in production. My dealer said the MB policy has always been that you get the price that was in effect when you ordered the car so you shouldn't have to pay the increase. If your dealer is trying to pass the increase to you they are gouging you.
That's encouraging. I ordered my car back in November and its production date was late January. It already feels like I've been waiting for forever and reading this last night made me think "oh, another thing."

Really, at this point, I don't care what it takes or how much the price increases. I just want my car already!
Old 01-31-2005 | 10:11 AM

05 e55 come march24 05
Originally Posted by BklynMarc
Really, at this point, I don't care what it takes or how much the price increases. I just want my car already!

I feel the same way!! I did order mine in Nov. and still will not get here till march. I'm suck driving two seaters when i really neeed a four door right now...
Old 01-31-2005 | 10:31 AM

04E55AMG, 05Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab, 02Montero Limited
Originally Posted by TTSUPRAtoE55
Found this through google today, first time i have heard anything about it. Looks like the new base price is going to go from $79,500 to $80,800 starting february 1st. Guess the 1 month delay in production of my car is gonna cost me an extra $1,300 when it arrives in a few weeks.

New Price List

I think that price increase happened over a year ago. All 2005's have been selling at that MSRP. My buddy paid the higher MSRP last summer on his 2005. I hope they are not planning to increase MSRP above $80,800
Old 01-31-2005 | 11:22 AM

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by AMGe55
Hopefully this is the case, I know when I ordered back in october I was told $79,500 plus the $720 destination fee. I guess i will find out in a couple weeks when i go down to finalize the deal.
Old 02-01-2005 | 11:44 PM

2005 E55 AMG
AMGe55 looks like you are right. Talked with the dealer today about this and they told me I would have price protection and pay the $79,500 since that was the list price when I ordered the car.
Old 02-02-2005 | 09:50 AM

2004 E55 tectite grey/charcoal
Good to hear you are not stuck with the price increase. Hope you get your beast soon. I wish all the car reviewers would quit talking about what a bargain the e55 is. MB has made several mid year price increases.
Old 02-09-2005 | 03:03 PM

'05 E55
I got different information today. Talked to my broker just to confirm the delivery date and he confirmed that MB had, in fact, raised its prices. He also claimed that he spoke to the dealer that had placed the order for my car and they had received the price increase as well.

According to my broker, the dealer was willing to "make a deal" with me. He stated that any price increases are passed directly to the customer because "MB has raised the price of the vehicle to the dealer." Thus, the price of the E55 I ordered in November had gained $1300 overnight (actually $1210, based on the representation of my broker). The dealer, in its infinite good will and charity, decided that it was willing to "split the difference with me." WTF?

Of course, I referenced this board and the experiences from other members here but the broker was not impressed. Then I called Ray Catena MB in New Jersey (I have friends who work there) and spoke to some people about a dealer passing on the increase. The guy I spoke to said that Ray Catena would not do this, that they have price protection on their cars and, more importantly, to simply pass on the increase to a customer would be bad business. My point exactly. Problem is that I'm dealing with a dealer in So. Cal that doesn't seem to understand this fundamental concept of good business.

The car is set to arrive on March 11th at the dealer. I've got time to plan and am looking for any advice you can give.
Old 02-09-2005 | 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55
I got different information today. Talked to my broker just to confirm the delivery date and he confirmed that MB had, in fact, raised its prices. He also claimed that he spoke to the dealer that had placed the order for my car and they had received the price increase as well.

According to my broker, the dealer was willing to "make a deal" with me. He stated that any price increases are passed directly to the customer because "MB has raised the price of the vehicle to the dealer." Thus, the price of the E55 I ordered in November had gained $1300 overnight (actually $1210, based on the representation of my broker). The dealer, in its infinite good will and charity, decided that it was willing to "split the difference with me." WTF?

Of course, I referenced this board and the experiences from other members here but the broker was not impressed. Then I called Ray Catena MB in New Jersey (I have friends who work there) and spoke to some people about a dealer passing on the increase. The guy I spoke to said that Ray Catena would not do this, that they have price protection on their cars and, more importantly, to simply pass on the increase to a customer would be bad business. My point exactly. Problem is that I'm dealing with a dealer in So. Cal that doesn't seem to understand this fundamental concept of good business.

The car is set to arrive on March 11th at the dealer. I've got time to plan and am looking for any advice you can give.
I'm curious, what dealership is doing this to you?
Old 02-09-2005 | 09:31 PM

'05 E55
Our favorite dealer in Riverside. I'll send you a PM.
Old 02-09-2005 | 09:41 PM

2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
Actually...Ray Catena will always watch their asses when it comes to difft model years. When I ordered my car, I asked to be one of the first to get an 05, and chose to wait. So they wrote MSRP minus x amount. I guess this might be standard ops as far as all dealers are concerned between model years.

That being said, if you have an order with a dollar amount on it (I assume this bc you werent ordering a different model year), I am very confident in saying that they are obligated to give it to you for that amount. I wouldnt split jack with them if that was the case.
Old 02-09-2005 | 11:29 PM

'05 E55
ThemisN,

I do have an order with a precise dollar amount, secured by a $2,000 deposit (cash = the quintessential good and valuable consideration). Signed by me and the dealer's representative in November 2004 for a MY 2005 E55.

Here's the wrinkle. There is language on the order form which states "[Dealer] is not responsible for any factory price increases subsequent to the initial release price the factory suggests for 2005 model year. All factory price increases are the responsibility of the buyer/lessee."

I have some thoughts how such language will be interpreted, but I'd like to hear some comments.
Old 02-09-2005 | 11:37 PM

something fast
Bklyn Marc,

I was on the phone with a dealer today and he said that you should have price protection especially since the car was ordered so long ago.
Old 02-09-2005 | 11:38 PM

2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
ThemisN,

I do have an order with a precise dollar amount, secured by a $2,000 deposit (cash = the quintessential good and valuable consideration). Signed by me and the dealer's representative in November 2004 for a MY 2005 E55.

Here's the wrinkle. There is language on the order form which states "[Dealer] is not responsible for any factory price increases subsequent to the initial release price the factory suggests for 2005 model year. All factory price increases are the responsibility of the buyer/lessee."

I have some thoughts how such language will be interpreted, but I'd like to hear some comments.
The problem I have with that language when an amount is agreed written and signed is that how do you interpret how much you should pay now? Who is to say that at the time you made your deposit if the msrp was the new msrp that you wouldnt have been able to cut more off of the price? Why is the assumption that you just pay the increase or this split the difference thing? Have you called other dealers to see what kind of deal they would give you if you ordered the same car now?
Old 02-10-2005 | 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Bklyn Marc,
I too expierienced the price increase that happened in early 04 when I ordered my car and my dealer honored the original purchase agreement. As long as you have an order agreement with Vin and delivery date, you should be fine. If your dealer says differently then your getting bent over... Perhaps since were talking e55 and they feel if you walk, they'll simply sell it to the next in line. Its too bad your dealer would try to do this to you now during purchase and will probably continue to keep you bent over every time you walk in for service, etc....
Old 02-10-2005 | 12:26 AM

'05 E55
Originally Posted by ThemisN
The problem I have with that language when an amount is agreed written and signed is that how do you interpret how much you should pay now? Who is to say that at the time you made your deposit if the msrp was the new msrp that you wouldnt have been able to cut more off of the price? Why is the assumption that you just pay the increase or this split the difference thing? Have you called other dealers to see what kind of deal they would give you if you ordered the same car now?
Believe me, I've thought about everything today, even dueling dealers. Problem is that, as we all know, the E55 is so rare that most of us have specially ordered our cars. It would be nearly impossible to get the car I want in time.

The bigger problem is that any order placed AFTER February 1st would automatically be subject to the higher price, which puts me back in the same boat. I will call tomorrow though, to see if a deal can be had.
Old 02-10-2005 | 12:33 AM

11 W212 E350 Sport, sold 06 W211 E350
Question.....if your car is produced after the price increase, does it come with the higher price MSRP factory sticker on it, even though you purchased at a different MSRP price point??
Old 02-10-2005 | 12:40 AM

'05 E55
Originally Posted by ajf1
Bklyn Marc,

I was on the phone with a dealer today and he said that you should have price protection especially since the car was ordered so long ago.
Thanks. Do you have the dealer's name and number?

I might have to start a grassroots movement to get this dealer to "see the light." Believe me, I'm not afraid to start writing the boys in Montvale, NJ to get the quoted price.

The issue that I'm dealing with now is the principle of the increase, not the amount itself. Think about it-- they raised the price 1%, maybe 2% -- I can handle it. The problem is that the dealer knows that he has a captive buyer for a commodity that has appreciated in value and is trying to take advantage. That I can't swallow.

That's the reason that businesses buy futures and enter option contracts. They eliminate or, more accurately, shift the risk of price fluctuations. If I sign a contract to buy your soybean crop for $1 and the price rises to $2 by the time I exercise my option, I made a good deal. I'm not going to take too kindly to an attempt to renegotiate or internally arbitrage an agreement. I take offense to a dealer trying to do that here.
Old 02-10-2005 | 12:44 AM

'05 E55
Originally Posted by sacguy
Question.....if your car is produced after the price increase, does it come with the higher price MSRP factory sticker on it, even though you purchased at a different MSRP price point??
That's another interesting point. My contract says that my car was to be produced "in January 2005." By that logic, it shouldn't even be subject to the increase.

Problem with the sticker is that it's just a piece of paper that they can take off the car and adjust.
Old 02-10-2005 | 12:49 AM

something fast
bkln marc

sent you a pm
Old 02-10-2005 | 12:50 AM

'05 E55
Originally Posted by HELL ONA HARLEY
Bklyn Marc,
I too expierienced the price increase that happened in early 04 when I ordered my car and my dealer honored the original purchase agreement. As long as you have an order agreement with Vin and delivery date, you should be fine. If your dealer says differently then your getting bent over... Perhaps since were talking e55 and they feel if you walk, they'll simply sell it to the next in line. Its too bad your dealer would try to do this to you now during purchase and will probably continue to keep you bent over every time you walk in for service, etc....
Harley,

I agree. The dealer is trying to really bend me over. Problem is, the dealer already knows that there is only a limited chance for repeat business. In order to get the production slot that I got, I had to secure a broker and he called a dealer 60 miles from my home. I'm not doing my service there nor am I necessarily looking to do additional business with them. As you can see, my position with the dealer is weakened, because there are no incentives to even think about being fair when there is only one turn in this "game."

It sucks but it's the way that it's working right now.
Old 02-10-2005 | 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Originally Posted by sacguy
I think it would be true..... My original window sticker (in hand now) has the price increase shown and I paid the lower (before increase) price....
Old 02-10-2005 | 01:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
It sucks but it's the way that it's working right now.
Yea, I see your point. Your not in the best position for barganing now are you....
Don't trip on it.... It sucks that the price went up but as stated earlier the e55 is car that isn't on every lot.... Just pay the man and enjoy your car.
Down the road you'll forget all about the few extra bucks, but you'll be drive one bad *** ride.