Sponsored by:

I think I know why no E63 Coupe!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 12:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C32 AMG & 2009 CTS-V
I think I know why no E63 Coupe!

I was at my MB dealer today picking up my C32 after getting some warranty work done (heater blower kept cycling through foot well, dash and defog vents after first start AND my door lock would have fits of epilepsy after 4 or 5 miles per hour). While they were washing the car for delivery, I strolled through the showroom to take a look at a 2010 E63 setting there. Got to talking to one of the sales guys and asked why no AMG coupe. His response was that the E-Class coupe really isn't a E-Class. It's shares more nuts-n-bolts with the C-Class than the true E platform. Basically, the E coupe is a C dressed to look like the new E. Interesting! Has anyone heard this before, or was the guys just yakin' off? He also mentioned that there may be a return of the C55 dressed with only 2 doors shortly,... this time with FI. Now this would be nice.

Just wondering if anyone else has heard stuff similar to this.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:02 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
He's right on. The E-Coupe is really a C-Class with some E aesthetic stuff and Tech.... And an E badge so M-B can charge more for it.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:01 AM

09 G37
False. E63 coupe will come as a special edition Black Series. A true C coupe will also come to compete with the 135i. I don't know if an AMG version will be released though.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by K-A
He's right on. The E-Coupe is really a C-Class with some E aesthetic stuff and Tech.... And an E badge so M-B can charge more for it.
Well that's not right! That's just two blocks south of deception,... isn't it? Nonetheless, they did a good job of fooling buyers looking for a more mature E but with the added sportiness of 2 doors. To folks not knowing this, it sure looks like the same car sans 2 doors and a lower roof.

So,... that lends some creds to the rumor of a C-Class Coupe in the near future. Knowing this, it's easier to believe. What's not easy to believe is the retirement of the 6.2 liter in favor of a returning charged 5.5 plant. I wonder if the charge is coming from twin turbos or the Supercharger we all already know? If I had to bet, I'd point to the Twin Turbo approach,... BMW is headed that with the M5 and the M6, and possibly with the upcoming M3 I hear.

LOL! I remember when I first got my car, I used to dream of the E55's SC plant in a C32. Then 2 MY's later came the C55,... but with no SC.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by crazjayz
False. E63 coupe will come as a special edition Black Series. A true C coupe will also come to compete with the 135i. I don't know if an AMG version will be released though.
False? So you're saying there isn't a C-Class under there when the E Coupe lifts her skirt? Well if they use it to build a new Black, I sure hope not. That's an ugly image to have in one's head,... sort of like a Line Backer with chicken legs. Now if you're saying they're thinking of doing a C63 Coupe in Black,... well then that's erotic. A nice image to have in the head.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
The E Coupe is just a "rebranding" of the CLK model line, which was killed off. The CLK line seemed to have styling and appointments more in line with the E class sedans, but were based on C class underpinnings. I see no reason why the E coupe would be different.

I too expect to see an E63 Coupe eventually, albeit in Black Series form, as a successor to the CLK63BS. But I've been wrong before.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:45 PM

09 G37
Originally Posted by ericpd
False? So you're saying there isn't a C-Class under there when the E Coupe lifts her skirt? Well if they use it to build a new Black, I sure hope not. That's an ugly image to have in one's head,... sort of like a Line Backer with chicken legs. Now if you're saying they're thinking of doing a C63 Coupe in Black,... well then that's erotic. A nice image to have in the head.
I'm calling false to the C55TT coupe. Yes, the E-coupe is built off of the C-class platform, due to the size similarities, but everything ends there. Just like the CLK was based off of the C-class, the new E-coupe BS will be also based off the same C-class platform. It doesn't really mean that much in terms of the car. They won't make a C-coupe BS since it won't epitomize what the BS is about.

I too expect to see an E63 Coupe eventually, albeit in Black Series form, as a successor to the CLK63BS. But I've been wrong before.
You may have been wrong before, but most things are pointing to the only E-coupe AMG is going to be a BS version.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:54 PM

CLS55, C63, 997 Turbo
I was at my MB dealer today picking up my C32 after getting some warranty work done (heater blower kept cycling through foot well, dash and defog vents after first start AND my door lock would have fits of epilepsy after 4 or 5 miles per hour). While they were washing the car for delivery, I strolled through the showroom to take a look at a 2010 E63 setting there. Got to talking to one of the sales guys and asked why no AMG coupe. His response was that the E-Class coupe really isn't a E-Class. It's shares more nuts-n-bolts with the C-Class than the true E platform. Basically, the E coupe is a C dressed to look like the new E. Interesting! Has anyone heard this before, or was the guys just yakin' off? He also mentioned that there may be a return of the C55 dressed with only 2 doors shortly,... this time with FI. Now this would be nice.

Just wondering if anyone else has heard stuff similar to this.
So what does that have to do with why there's no E63 Coupe?

Official word from AMG is that there's no E63 Coupe because they are releasing the next Black Series (Coupes only) as an E63 Coupe AMG Black Series. So there are no plans for a non-Black Series E63 Coupe AMG. That may change in the future.

With regards to platform, the E-Class Coupe is the replacement for the W209 CLK, which was based on the old W203 C-Class chassis. I believe the new E-Class Coupe is based on the new W204 C-Class chassis, but with interior and exterior appointments derived from the W212 E-Class.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:06 PM

It just seems strange that of the top three brands in these segments (super sedans & super coupes), MB is only one not covering all the marks. BMW offers the M3 sedan & coupe in the entry/compact class, with the M5 & M6 covering the marks in the mid-size ranks. Now that Caddy has introduced the CTS-V Coupé (http://www.ontariocts.com/?p=113) (http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...-unveiled.html), they're now covering all marks. I say that because the CTS-V is smartly sized and priced in a way which allows it to dance at both parties,... entry/compact AND mid-size. LOL! The CTS-V reminds me of a guy I went to high school with,... a true "Baby Huey". Because of his age, stature and skill, his first year he played both Varsity and VJ Football AND Varsity and JV Basketball,... and excelled at all four.

I'll never forget Ira. Sadly he's no longer with us,... lost his life in Beiruit!

Last edited by ericpd; 01-06-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by blair_mbz

Official word from AMG is that there's no E63 Coupe because they are releasing the next Black Series (Coupes only) as an E63 Coupe AMG Black Series. So there are no plans for a non-Black Series E63 Coupe AMG. That may change in the future.

With regards to platform, the E-Class Coupe is the replacement for the W209 CLK, which was based on the old W203 C-Class chassis. I believe the new E-Class Coupe is based on the new W204 C-Class chassis, but with interior and exterior appointments derived from the W212 E-Class.
I heard that there will be an AMG version of the new E coupe, however it will have a turbo powerplant rather than a 63 powerplant. MB has already confired some turbo rumors for some of their non-AMG vehicles so this would not be too much of a stretch. The E Coupe Black Series you mention could very well be the turbo version I have heard about.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by jrcart
I heard that there will be an AMG version of the new E coupe, however it will have a turbo powerplant rather than a 63 powerplant. MB has already confired some turbo rumors for some of their non-AMG vehicles so this would not be too much of a stretch. The E Coupe Black Series you mention could very well be the turbo version I have heard about.
If you look on page 29 the AMG Performance magazine a dealer (overseas) is quoted as saying " At present we are waiting on three SLK63 Black Series".Now I am sure the AMG editors would have corrected this man.Maybe AMG will drop some of the remaining 63's into the new SLK bodystyle prior to dropping in the 5.5 turbo?
Old 01-06-2010, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
Originally Posted by crazjayz

If there C coupe it should compare with 3 series not the 1 serie.
E coupe replaced the CLK and we all know CLK is based in the C class
so its very posible that the new E coupe is based in C class.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by blair_mbz
Well I guess when you stop and think about it,... you're right, it doesn't have anything to do with why there's no E63 Coupe. Except maybe the C platform might not be robust enough to support the AMG/E criteria of success,... who knows. But it just baffles me as to why MB want's it to be so complicated. Why not make an E couple an E sedan with 2 less doors, like BMW did with the M3 and Caddy just did with the introduction of their CTS-V yesterday? I just don't see why they don't lower the E couple body onto the already existing E chasis. At least with the CLK, they gave it a different nomenclature,... lower the confusion and deception. But a E coupe that's really a C? Sounds like what GM did back in the 70's when they started puting Chevy engines into to Buicks, Oldsmobiles, Pontiacs and Cadillacs. Boy did they catch some heat from that.

But you're right,... has nothing to do with how they badge them I guess.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Well I guess when you stop and think about it,... you're right, it doesn't have anything to do with why there's no E63 Coupe. Except maybe the C platform might not be robust enough to support the AMG/E criteria of success,... who knows. But it just baffles me as to why MB want's it to be so complicated. Why not make an E couple an E sedan with 2 less doors, like BMW did with the M3 and Caddy just did with the introduction of their CTS-V yesterday? I just don't see why they don't lower the E couple body onto the already existing E chasis. At least with the CLK, they gave it a different nomenclature,... lower the confusion and deception. But a E coupe that's really a C? Sounds like what GM did back in the 70's when they started puting Chevy engines into to Buicks, Oldsmobiles, Pontiacs and Cadillacs. Boy did they catch some heat from that.

But you're right,... has nothing to do with how they badge them I guess.
Automotive chassis are much more modular these days - they're designed to efficiently cover multiple models, instead of each model necessitating its own chassis (from what I hear). I doubt MB would somehow compromise the handling and/or structural integrity of the E Coupe by using one chassis over another, especially given that both are already in current production - therefore available to their engineers for consideration. My guess is that the C class chassis was modelled to be a more optimal platform than the E chassis for the E Coupe.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:31 PM

09 G37
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
Automotive chassis are much more modular these days - they're designed to efficiently cover multiple models, instead of each model necessitating its own chassis (from what I hear). I doubt MB would somehow compromise the handling and/or structural integrity of the E Coupe by using one chassis over another, especially given that both are already in current production - therefore available to their engineers for consideration. My guess is that the C class chassis was modelled to be a more optimal platform than the E chassis for the E Coupe.
That's exactly the reason they don't take an E chassis and chop off 2 doors. This is the whole concept behind PLATFORM manufacturing. And ericpd, how can you say that the C-class platform is not "robust enough to suport the AMD/E criteria of success"? They already have the C63 built on it, which happens to be also the only platform that has a racecar derivation (the DTM car). If anything, the E-class platform hasn't been made with performance in mind, rather comfort, so the C-class is the better chassis to use.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:36 AM

04 - 06 e55 Wagon - looking for
I visited a dealer in S. Cal and the person who claimed to be with Mercedes for 10 years said the twin turbo engines would ONLY be reserved for the S series
Old 01-07-2010, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by Wish4_e55Wagon
I visited a dealer in S. Cal and the person who claimed to be with Mercedes for 10 years said the twin turbo engines would ONLY be reserved for the S series
Bet he said the same thing about the 6.3 litre too.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:25 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Ahem, 6.2 Litre.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:45 PM

BMW E90, W204 C350
i have to say no to that too
the E Class as many of you have said is a rebrand of the CLK
to call it a C Class is unfair
the shared the same platform as the E, most of the items in there is a E Class
I own a C and was on a E coupe, 2 different monster. I too expect a CLK or a E Class coupe 63 will be out at sometime
maybe a E63 GTR
who knows
Old 01-12-2010, 10:05 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Actually the E-Coupe shares the same platform as the C. And has ultimately the C's interior, with better materials, and some re-arranging in the design, but it's obvious at the core, it's practically the same thing.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:29 PM

2008 Obsidian Black C300 Sport 6 spd
They actually aren't even close to the same thing. The wheelbase in the E-coupe is longer as is the car. As outlined above, simply a modular frame that was easier to base the coupe on than the frame from the E sedan. Do you honestly think that MB would decide to make a crappy frame for the C knowing that it was going DTM racing with it and ploppling the 6.2 in it for the AMG.

Also, the interiors are not the same.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:59 PM

2014 CTS-V (6spd, phantom grey), 2010 Cadillac Escalade ESV (black raven)
Originally Posted by JamesB C300
They actually aren't even close to the same thing. The wheelbase in the E-coupe is longer as is the car. As outlined above, simply a modular frame that was easier to base the coupe on than the frame from the E sedan. Do you honestly think that MB would decide to make a crappy frame for the C knowing that it was going DTM racing with it and ploppling the 6.2 in it for the AMG.

Also, the interiors are not the same.
+1,
Sort of like the Gallardo and the Audi sharing the same base engine and calling them the same.
The base platform is the same, but that's where the similarities end.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 E63S wagon
Also similar to the CL coupe based off the S-Class chassis. MBZ does smart things w/their coupes that prevent all new tooling/molds for chassis design.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:00 AM

e63
5.0 Bi-turbo right? no more 6.2 for 2011.........
Old 02-16-2010, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 516 Likes on 432 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
The E63 Coupe will be introduced as the next Black Series, I can't say that MB won't introduce a E63 Coupe, but from all indications, the Black Series will be bad ***!