W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Four months of waiting, finally it's arrived!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Four months of waiting, finally it's arrived!

Hi Guys, greetings from the uk.
Well, after four and a bit months of waiting (was meant to be three, but I'm sure all dealers are liars just the same as all drive through McDonalds staff get the order wrong every time). My Mercedes E63 Amg Estate has finally arrived.
I had the previous w211 shape e63 but got so bored of waiting for the new version I went to the dark side and bought a v10 Audi rs6 (c6), but after a year I couldn't wait to come back. Here's my notes etc on how I personally think they compare. I've had the car a week and am dying to get my 1000 miles in so I can give it a good spanking!

I'm sort of sorry to see the Rs6 go, but as I always found the Rs6 a bit sterile. It was an immensely capable car and I think that was the problem, it was so capable that if it was human it would have been Kimi Raikonen i.e.: very fast but a charisma vacuum. I'm sorry to say it but I just didn't gel with the car.
If the e63 was human it would be Ozzy Osbourne!

Firstly the Styling.
The Audi is without doubt the better looking of the two. With it's big 20" alloys it just looks more in proportion. The Merc has 19"s and although not exactly small, they don't fill the wheel arches half as well.
Although saying that, my new car is in white so it does stand out. The big thing I don't like is the way they have done the rear wheel arch, it just looks wrong, not a patch on the flared jobs on the rs6.

Next, the engine.
The rs 6's engine doesn't sound a patch in comparison to the merc.
To use a clarkson'ism, "it sounds like the god of thunder gargling on rusty nails".
To me the rs was just a noise and even with my milltechs on it still never floated my boat. The merc sounds like it has just come straight off a nascar track.
I honestly can't see there being much call for any aftermarket exhaust systems for this car. It's easily as loud, if not louder than the rs fitted with milltechs. The good news is though that it changes to near silent once you reach cruising speed.
I had the old shape 63 and it didn't sound half as good as this new e63 (even with eisenmann race exhaust's) so the sound department have obviously been hard at work!
The big thing that I really enjoyed with the Audi was that funny bang/crackle noise that it made on the up shift when I gave it some welly. I understand the merc also does this but as I'm still running in I'll have to wait for that thrill
Performance wise I can't really comment yet as I'm still running in (I hate it but these things need to be done as they kept pointing out to me at the hand over).
It certainly feels like it's got some major power there judging by the odd prod of the throttle I've had.
I suspect it will feel quicker off the mark as I felt that the rs seemed to get bogged down from zero, probably due to the four wheel drive. Midrange I have the feeling the rs will pull harder once those turbo's are on song. I used to have the old shape e63 and from what I remember the rs definitely felt quicker in the midrange. But this new 63 has about ten more bhp than the old one so I'll have to wait and see. It's got fifty or so less bhp than the audi (572bhp) but is about three hundred kg's lighter so it will be interesting.

Next, comfort and practicality.
The boots far bigger on the merc. I never understood how audi managed to make such a small boot in relation to the size of the car (avant). The mercs is half as big again (estate) and is therefore ideal for me. I'm in a wheelchair and have a young son, so carrying all our paraphernalia was always a bit tight in the audi.
I always found the seats in the audi way too hard. The mercs seats are way softer but this seems to come with the disadvantage of having less support. If I had realized at ordering time I would have gone for the active seats with the side bolsters that expand with air.
I loved the steering wheel on the audi. It was small and flat at the bottom. The mercs feels like it would be more at home in a bus! The mercs is covered with alcantara though which does feel nice I have to say.

Controls/interface.
Can you believe that you can't get a keyless entry/engine start in the merc? Every other e-class has it in the options list, but not the amg. I loved that in the audi and am really going to miss it.
I hated the audi's mmi when I first got it. I found it overly complicated and annoying. I got used to it and eventually found it intuitive and simple. I now find the merc's controls overly complicated and annoying!
I went for the voice control option and I'm so glad I did. The big advantage this has over the audi's is that you can control everything from it and not just the phone. It actually works properly as well. The system I had in my old e63 used to get half the words wrong,
this one hardly ever says "pardon".
Build quality feels right up there with the audi. Some of the materials feel a bit cheaper than the audi's, but dare I say it, it feels better screwed together. I've not heard a single rattle where I did hear one or two in the rs. It's maybe because my rs had done 12,000 miles compared to 300. Time will tell.

Driving.
It never ceases to amaze me how cars get better and better as the years go by. Everytime I get into a new car I think "how are they going to better this?" I thought that when I went from my old shape e63 to my rs6 and I thought it would be hard to better the rs6's ride.
But Mercedes have done it. It's not as harsh as the audi's and soaks up the bumps a lot better while at the same time it has less body roll than the audi (I'm comparing comfort mode in both cars). The same seems to be true in all suspension modes.
Steering is lighter in the merc. I always found the steering to be overly heavy in the audi.
In fact I got an audi expert to fool my car into thinking it had a big heavy diesel engine up front so it assisted the steering more.

Just thought some of you guys might find this interesting.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Enzo, my Benzo
So much text. So few pics.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:52 AM

Finally had a chance to take some pictures over the weekend.

And here's the Audi it has replaced:

Old 11-08-2010, 11:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W212 E63
Originally Posted by Budvarholsten
Finally had a chance to take some pictures over the weekend.

And here's the Audi it has replaced:

Sweet Pics. Congrats on the car!
Old 11-08-2010, 08:27 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo, 2020 GLC 63, 2014 Audi S6, 2014 GL63; past 2019 M5 and 2011 E63
That was a great post about your experience with the E63 thus far and relative to your former RS6. As you probably know, we have never had the opportunity to sample the current generation RS6 here in the States so our only exposure is through car mag reviews. I don't think I have ever gotten feedback directly from a former owner like you. I am also jealous that you have access to the E63 Estate as, at least for the time being, it is not being sold here in the States. How rare is the E63 Estate in England relative to the E63 sedan? For us, spotting the W211 version E63 Estate in the States was like finding an honest politician . . . you may only see one once or twice in person in your lifetime.

I look forward to your giving us an updated review when you have passed the break in point on the engine. Like you, I love the sound of the big V8 even just burbling around town.

I also enjoyed your photos of your beautiful new (and old) car. Congrats!!
Old 11-08-2010, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Thanks for the write up and the pics. There's a member here who has a C5 RS6 saloon. I'd be curious as to his response (he also has an E55 but doesn't seem to like it )

I agree about the styling and those "mercedes ponton" raised 'dog haunches' on the rear fender. I much prefer the styling of your Audi estate. It looks really nice.

But the E63 estate doesn't look that bad. I'd take one over the saloon. But we can't get them here (yet.) I wish we could get the estates (RS, M, AMG, etc..) The C63 estate is very cool looking.

I like the roof rails. But are they chrome or anodized black? It's hard to tell from the pics.

More pics when you get a chance. It's rare for us 'Muhricans to see estates. The new BMW F10 5er estates won't be arriving here, and I hear the E91 BMW estate will be gone soon.

Congrats on the new ride
Old 11-09-2010, 04:07 PM
Banned

AMGs
Congrats, she's the ultimate sleeper for sure.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:11 AM

congrats! very nice!
Old 11-10-2010, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
'08 C63 Estate
Originally Posted by 220S
Thanks for the write up and the pics. There's a member here who has a C5 RS6 saloon. I'd be curious as to his response (he also has an E55 but doesn't seem to like it )

I agree about the styling and those "mercedes ponton" raised 'dog haunches' on the rear fender. I much prefer the styling of your Audi estate. It looks really nice.

But the E63 estate doesn't look that bad. I'd take one over the saloon. But we can't get them here (yet.) I wish we could get the estates (RS, M, AMG, etc..) The C63 estate is very cool looking.

I like the roof rails. But are they chrome or anodized black? It's hard to tell from the pics.

More pics when you get a chance. It's rare for us 'Muhricans to see estates. The new BMW F10 5er estates won't be arriving here, and I hear the E91 BMW estate will be gone soon.

Congrats on the new ride

You got that one right
Old 11-10-2010, 11:50 AM

Thanks for the kind words guys.
I didn't realise you guys couldn't get the estates over there. I've been a long time lurker (and occasional poster) since owning my w211 amg and all I ever noticed was that you guys all seem to have the saloon's, never realised that you couldn't get the estates.
For me I need the extra room to carry all my bits and pieces but to be honest even if I didn't need too I think I still prefer the looks of the estate over the saloon.
Count yourselves lucky though. You may not have the estate but your fuel is not costing $9 a gallon!
I think I could just about make the saloon work for me if I could get fuel for the cost you guys pay.
The roof rails by the way are silver.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Enzo, my Benzo
Gorgeous.

Congrats!
Old 11-17-2010, 05:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Curious about something: I was on the UK MB website and it appears that the E63 Estate comes with the 7G-Tronic transmission and only the saloon comes with the MCT transmission.

Is this the case? Does yours have the 7G or the MCT?
Old 11-20-2010, 07:50 AM

220s
As far as I was aware all flavours of the e63 (w212) come with the 7g tronic transmission but with a wet clutch instead of a torque convertor as found in 99% of all other automatics. I definately can tell that it has the clutch and not the torque convertor due to the very distinctive smell of burning clutch when giving it big licks
As far as I was aware (tell me if I am wrong) only the Sls has the mct transmission.

I'm pleased to say that I've finally got my car run in.
All I can say is that I'm very impressed. I can't really tell if it's any quicker than the Audi there is so little in it. It may be that the Audi is a little quicker in the mid range due to those turbos but the Merc feels quicker due to the extra volume. Remember when you had your first car and the exhaust blew a hole, it felt quicker due to increased volume and it was never a rush to get it quiet again, or was that just me!
The Audi certainly doesn't sound a patch on the V8 in the Merc at full revs but again that is just my opinion. The Merc is definately quicker off the line but this is obviously due to it only being two wheel drive so it doesn't get bogged down.
The Merc doesn't have a hope in hell of keeping up with the Audi in the wet, it lacks that sure footedness of the quattro system and feels as if it would quite happily send you off backwards into the nearest tree if you don't give it the respect it deserves.
Economy is definately better. I managed to get the Audi down to 8.7mpg having a blast down my favourite back road, the Merc managed 12.2mpg driving in exactly the same way.
In fact I've worked out that with the fuel savings I'm making the Merc will have paid for itself by the year 2414! I went to the top gear live show at the N.e.c in Birmingham last weekend (about a 250 mile round trip) and it managed a creditable 24mpg driving at a steady 85'ish.

I feel the ride is definately better in the Merc, it's not as hard. The roads are in such an appaling state around where I live that finding the right suspension setting in the Audi was nigh on impossible. It was either so hard that it virtually bounced around the corners or soft to a point that the body roll didn't inspire me to 'push on'. The middle setting was okay I guess but not as composed as the Merc.
I dare say that on a perfect surface such as a racing track the Audi would be superior.
The 300kg's less weight that the Merc carries really shows on tight twisty roads, you really notice that you are not carrying so much bulk as you hit the brakes flying up to a corner (this is with stock brakes on each car, not the ceramics).
I also prefer the gearbox in the Merc. Gearchanges are just as smooth and just as quick in the Audi but one thing that always annoyed me slightly was that when you were in sports mode having a blast in the countryside it was superb until you had to slow down while you went through a village. It would always stay in second gear until you reached 3500 rpm which was just the wrong side of the 30mph speed limit to upset Mr Plod. The Merc seems to sense this and soon goes as high as 5th gear even at 30mph. As soon as you come out of said village and give it some welly, it quickly realises that you are back to sporty driving again.

I've just re-read what I have typed so far and it sounds like I am really slating the Audi. It's not meant to sound like that, the Audi is a great car, it's just that it goes about doing things a very different way to the Merc and my tastes tend to favour the Merc.
I'll post some more as things spring to mind.

P.s
I've come to the conclusion that white is definately the wrong colour for this time of year. I vowed to never get a black car again because they look dirty within minutes of being cleaned.
It looks like white is now joining that list of colours to avoid in the future!
Old 11-20-2010, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
Thx for sharing - white's my favorite color, and we are ALL envious of you here as we can't get the E63 estate here As for getting dirty, at least finger prints/smudges don't show up.
PL
Old 11-20-2010, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Budvarholsten
220s
As far as I was aware all flavours of the e63 (w212) come with the 7g tronic transmission but with a wet clutch instead of a torque convertor as found in 99% of all other automatics. I definately can tell that it has the clutch and not the torque convertor due to the very distinctive smell of burning clutch when giving it big licks
As far as I was aware (tell me if I am wrong) only the Sls has the mct transmission.
The SLS has the DCT transmission which is a true dual clutch tranny. The reason I asked is because on the Euro (UK) website they distinctly mention the MCT for the saloon, but then make no mention of it for the estate and instead call it the 7 G-Tronic tranny. So it just made me wonder if they didn't use the MCT in the estate and instead kept the torque converter 7 G-Tronic, as in the 2009 and earlier estates (and saloons.)

MBUSA/AMG in NJ says we will be getting the estate here in the US but apparently not until the move over to the twin turbo motor. So that means around 2013. But they can always decide not to export it in the end. There were very few 2009 E63 estates with the 6.2 liter sold in the USA.

Anyway, good to hear you like the car
Old 11-21-2010, 03:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Awesome ride, congrats!