Print Wikipost

Anyone using Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 ALL SEASON TIRES

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG
Anyone using Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 ALL SEASON TIRES

Would like to try them but with my car being tuned and pushing around ~600whp am sort of curious to know how the grip will be off the line?? I would favor them for all season purpose
Tires are newly released from Michelin

Pilot® Sport A/S 3
Ultra-High Performance Sport
ALL SEASON TIRE

The Pilot Sport A/S 3 is Michelin’s ultimate Ultra High Performance All-Season tire with the highest level of performance and grip in all driving conditions.

Last edited by m0v30v3r; 11-03-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 530 Posts
R Nine T
I'm surprised we haven't seen more posts about these tires they will definitely be on my list for my next set.
These Pirellis are just terrible have no grip constantly losing traction.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by m0v30v3r
Would like to try them but with my car being tuned and pushing around ~600whp am sort of curious to know how the grip will be off the line?? I would favor them for all season purpose
Tires are newly released from Michelin

Pilot® Sport A/S 3
Ultra-High Performance Sport
ALL SEASON TIRE

The Pilot Sport A/S 3 is Michelin’s ultimate Ultra High Performance All-Season tire with the highest level of performance and grip in all driving conditions.
I currently have the stock 2010 E63 rims and Conti SC3's.. bought the A/S3 and installing them tomorrow.

I was going to buy the Pilot Super Sports.. but I wanted a smooth ride, with some performance and not worry about the wife driving the car in the winter months.

This car compared to my E55.. does not seem to put down the power efficiently.. even in E mode I can spin tires like crazy.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:24 PM

AMG
Originally Posted by TopGun32
I currently have the stock 2010 E63 rims and Conti SC3's.. bought the A/S3 and installing them tomorrow.

I was going to buy the Pilot Super Sports.. but I wanted a smooth ride, with some performance and not worry about the wife driving the car in the winter months.

This car compared to my E55.. does not seem to put down the power efficiently.. even in E mode I can spin tires like crazy.
Please update this thread with your thoughts on michelins...
Old 11-04-2013, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 653 Likes on 511 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
I think Michelin has a winner with these tires, in reading reviews, I'm pretty sure I'll end up going with these on my Wagon over the Pilot SS tires, plus they make the right rear size for my car (285-30-19) unlike the SS where you gotta go with a 295. Heres a review I just read from a guy with a Audi RS6, pretty darn impressive. Of course these tires give up a little bit in dry warm performance over the SS but that's to be expected. They have a real long wear rating of 500 compared to the SS @ 300. : "Very impressive All-Season tire with a 500 treadwear rating. In nearly 25yrs of buying performance tires, have never bought or used all-seasons. My persepctive is looking from the top down from ultra high perf. summer or R-compound 'race' tires.

Additionally, driving a nose heavy (4250lbs)Audi with 500+hp/tq puts a huge demand on the tires, especially fronts. It has a KW3 suspension kit (coil-overs, double adj. shocks) and big swaybars; lowered about 1.5". This amplifies tire input and allows even more tire loading due to increased G-forces afforded by the firm suspension.

Tire wear is nearly opposite of a Porsche or Ferrari. The type of car will surely effect how the tires work and any personal opinions. My steering ratings would likely be higher on a BMW or MB that's RWD with a lighter front axle load.

With that said, I REALLY like these Michelin's, all things considered. The lower scores, I think may improve with more miles and wear on the tires. Higher speed long duration steady-state cornering induces obvious tread flex. Thre's a pronounced rubbery softness if cutting the apex sharper which further loads the tire. It's predictable and will likely improve once worn down a few 32nd's. The G-force threashold is on par with quality summer tires of other brands.

After removing the big summer wheels, it's been a HUGE relief to enjoy the soft riding french tires (made in the USA for my 255/40-18's), even at higher PSI (42). The daily commute on our nicer roads (not a pothole or broken section to be seen)is a still a vast improvement.

Treadwear, scuffing, tread feathering is virtually nonexistent. Even after attacking some corners with minor sliding. These tires are so predictable and smooth when inducing a slip angle (slide). AWD/Quattro further helps.

We had some VERY heavy fall rain storms here in the PacNW. The wide 255mm tires plowed right thru. I'd also expect reasonable snow and ice performance.

Michelin puts the magic in tires!
Old 11-04-2013, 07:47 PM

2009 e350
Just installed my Michelins on Saturday. These tires are phenomenal, quiet, handles amazing. I drive on windy roads to work everyday and I can definitely feel the difference from the Continentals.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
just ordered micheline pss today, apparently the 295 30 are on back order, hopefully i can get them before the airstrip even

my P0's have 18000 miles on them..
The rears are gone, obviously, but the fronts have 5/32 on them still

still might just switch out the rears only for a while and then put the fronts on later.....anyways
Old 11-05-2013, 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Can't go wrong with PSS tires. I think I may end going with the PS A/S 3's though incase I ever do get caught in snow or heavy rain. I don't tend to push the car rear hard in corners anyhow and if they hook up just about as good off the line in a straight line that's a good thing. They cost about the same as the PSS and should last longer.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 162 Posts
Trek Bike
Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg
Can't go wrong with PSS tires. I think I may end going with the PS A/S 3's though incase I ever do get caught in snow or heavy rain. I don't tend to push the car rear hard in corners anyhow and if they hook up just about as good off the line in a straight line that's a good thing. They cost about the same as the PSS and should last longer.
Yes, should last much longer. Handling, traction etc. are superior as one would expect from michelin. My surprise is new A/S 3 is too firm ride. My purchase decision was influenced by Michelin web site showing comfort rated at 10 vs. PSS is at 8. In my opinion it is really opposite....PSS has better ride comfort
Old 11-06-2013, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
its an all season, it will be firmer
Old 11-06-2013, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wow, now I'm back to thinking of going with the PSS tires are ride comfort is very important to me and the conti run flats I currently have on the car ride horrible.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:36 PM

AMG
Originally Posted by vdubpower
its an all season, it will be firmer
You got me thinking now also
Old 11-07-2013, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

245/40 on 9" rim
275/35 on 9.5"

compared to the conti cs3's

Quieter on most asphalt/concrete: let's be honest..some asphalt and concrete is horrible and no matter what tire you have it will be noisy. In so cal.. I can find a section of smooth freeway and then goes bad and back to smooth. Tires can only do so much.

Softer ride than CS3'.. bumps are absorbed and predictable. With the Cs3.. the suspension would work harder to stay planted.

Lateral grip.. hair pin freeway entrance.. you can feel some flex on the sidewalls but its very predictable and feels like you have control to push for more.. the tires bite. Compared to the cs3.. less side wall flex but they would start to understeer without getting that feedback from tire.

Take off grip.... seem to have equal grip when compared to CS3's when I bought from another E63.

Obviously a worn tire vs new tire will not perform as well... must I don't think i'm giving anything up compared to the conti's

I was going to buy PSS... still have an option to call Michelin to exchange A/S3... but I want to have piece of mind of A/S when I let my wife drive the car to work. (2 or 3 time a week)

In my E55.. i would buy Hankook EV12 and they performed very well for the price. The A/S3 are every bit equal to the EV12's but they will last longer, grip better and price is just about the same.

PSS should be able to perform better as the road test show.. but in my case my E coupe is not tuned as a sport sedan/coupe.. its just sporty.

If my car was lowered, with LSD and had more mods.. than PSS would be the choice.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:30 AM

Black '10 E63
245/40 on 9" rim
275/35 on 9.5"

compared to the conti cs3's

Quieter on most asphalt/concrete: let's be honest..some asphalt and concrete is horrible and no matter what tire you have it will be noisy. In so cal.. I can find a section of smooth freeway and then goes bad and back to smooth. Tires can only do so much.

Softer ride than CS3'.. bumps are absorbed and predictable. With the Cs3.. the suspension would work harder to stay planted.

Lateral grip.. hair pin freeway entrance.. you can feel some flex on the sidewalls but its very predictable and feels like you have control to push for more.. the tires bite. Compared to the cs3.. less side wall flex but they would start to understeer without getting that feedback from tire.

Take off grip.... seem to have equal grip when compared to CS3's when I bought from another E63.

Obviously a worn tire vs new tire will not perform as well... must I don't think i'm giving anything up compared to the conti's

I was going to buy PSS... still have an option to call Michelin to exchange A/S3... but I want to have piece of mind of A/S when I let my wife drive the car to work. (2 or 3 time a week)

In my E55.. i would buy Hankook EV12 and they performed very well for the price. The A/S3 are every bit equal to the EV12's but they will last longer, grip better and price is just about the same.

PSS should be able to perform better as the road test show.. but in my case my E coupe is not tuned as a sport sedan/coupe.. its just sporty.

If my car was lowered, with LSD and had more mods.. than PSS would be the choice.
Just checked your load ratings for these tires and they're fine.

Last edited by sikm3; 11-08-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:37 PM

Black '10 E63
Just ordered my Michelin PS A/S 3's. I too am putting them on stock '10 AMG 18" rims.
Had no problem finding the stock sizes 255/40 and 285/35. Curious why you went with smaller diameters topgun32?

The predicted snow later this week prompted my decision to order post haste.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by sikm3
Just ordered my Michelin PS A/S 3's. I too am putting them on stock '10 AMG 18" rims.
Had no problem finding the stock sizes 255/40 and 285/35. Curious why you went with smaller diameters topgun32?

The predicted snow later this week prompted my decision to order post haste.
my coupe has a different offset than sedan.. the fronts stick out a bit w 255 and 285's look too chunky for my taste on my coupe.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:45 PM

E63 AMG S
I just put a set of A/S 3s on my new E63 S up here in Chicago. I kept the OEM staggered configuration: 255/35 on the front and 285/30, both 19s, on the back. Too early to tell much, but the ride and noise seem about the same as the Pirelli's.

I'll post updates on how they do in the Chicago winter.

and I just listed the original set, w/ just 1.2k miles on 'em, in the classifieds.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:11 PM

2014 E63 S-AMG 2013 GL450 4matic
I just got the PS A/S 3 mounted today and aside from a poor balance job (it's going back first thing in the morning) I found them to be quite nice, nothing to different from the conti's but a bit more mushy grippyness around turns. I think they'll perform well once I can drive the thing without vibrating at 75mph and higher....

BAH tire guys! And I gave them a case of Red bull!
Old 11-21-2013, 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Mponsig
I just got the PS A/S 3 mounted today and aside from a poor balance job (it's going back first thing in the morning) I found them to be quite nice, nothing to different from the conti's but a bit more mushy grippyness around turns. I think they'll perform well once I can drive the thing without vibrating at 75mph and higher....

BAH tire guys! And I gave them a case of Red bull!
Maybe they drank the red bull and were too hyped up to read the numbers on the balancing machine, lol.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2011 E550 4Matic & 2010 Audi Q5 & 2015 C63 507
AS3 is a great tire. Replaced my Conti's with AS3's and I am able to brake better and it also rides nicer with less vibrations at hwy speed. And it looks wider than OEM with the same size.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:39 AM

2014 E63 S-AMG 2013 GL450 4matic
So I mentioned last night that I had a balance issue and driving in this morning I was pretty sure it was the front passenger side wheel that we should look at first. I said I thought it threw a weight, that's what it felt like. They said the PSI on the door says 52psi! Holy crap! They said lets lower it to 41psi all around and I'll take her out for a test drive. I brought the guy I deal with there with me because I didn't want to hear "I believe you, so you said it feels and sounds like what again?"

Sure enough, get her up to 72<+ and she vibrated badly the faster I went. I told him before we even accelerated that to me it felt like the front passenger wheel.

He agreed, went back to shop, removed alleged shoe. .050/3.050

That'll do it. She is runnin smoooooth now. I teensy tiny bit of a whine due to aggressive tread.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone using Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 ALL SEASON TIRES-image.jpg  

Last edited by Mponsig; 11-21-2013 at 09:43 AM. Reason: To remove wrong pics
Old 11-21-2013, 05:52 PM

2003 sl500+2009 Cadillac DTS
michliens

I have a 2003 sl500 with these tires on for about 6 months.

I love them--they handle great !!!!!!
Old 11-21-2013, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Good deal that you got it squared away. My car vibrates too over 75 mph. Just had all 4 wheels balance 3 months ago, but I guess something aint right. I think I'll just live with it for now as it makes no sense to balance the rears as they maybe have 4000 miles of life left on them. The front's still look pretty good. The rears on these cars seem to have about 1/2 life of the fronts./ Since I don't want to get the same conti's which are on there I dunno what the solution is, I hate to throw out the front tires which probably have at least 15K miles left on them. Tempting just to put the SS tires on the back even though as Vdub said I'm the one who said not to mix tires, lol. Thing is though they are same type of tire, summer performance tire so maybe it would drive fine. Anybody else tried anything like this. SS Mich's on the rear and conti's or Pirellis up front and if so did the car drive ok? That way I could Replace the rears soon and get all 4 balanced that time and get rid of my high speed shake. Steering wheel vibrates a little and rear end rumbles a little, seems like all 4 are out of balance.

Last edited by 2012 merc amg; 11-21-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:23 PM

'07 s550
michelin pilot sport a/s 3's

I just bought 2 to replace two conti's on the front, and had bought 2 a/s pilot sport a year ago, which they have discontinued, and now have the '3's, so, I put them on the rear about a week ago. Discount tire took care of doing th job and have always done a very good fob for me for many years. I've had these up to highway speed and no problems, quiet, feel good, and discount says they will last even better than the older a/s pilot sports. we'll see. I do like them.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2021 GLE63S AMG, 2018 GLE43 AMG, 2014 E63 AMG S-Model 4Matic Wagon (sold)
Just drove home with a new set of the Pilot Sport A/S 3's on. The summer only Pirelli's that came on the wagon only lasted 450 miles.

I'll post more after driving them around a little.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone using Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 ALL SEASON TIRES