Sponsored by:

90 days, a few little things

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 10:45 PM

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts
2021 GLS63
90 days, a few little things

So I have had the car for just over 90 days and have had the chance to think about everyday use of the car and came up with a few thoughts and questions...please feel free to answer or add thoughts/questions of your own.

1. I like to open my garage door before I start the car...CO poisoning and all...
It seems like I have to push the start/stop button without my foot on the brake to power on the car (even though I just unlocked the car presumably to get ready to drive it). That is the only way to get power to the garage door opener in the rear view mirror. Seems like the opener should work as soon as the car is unlocked. Not very user friendly. Any ways around this?

2. Rear view mirror. Does anyone else find it a little hard to find the perfect position for it? I think because of all the camera stuff that the mirror is mounted to, the mirror is a lot closer to the driver's head than a normal mirror mounted to the windshield. By being closer, any movement of the head exaggerates the change in relationship to the mirror...rambling...

3. Bluetooth Audio: Why do I have to always have to select reconnect to last device to connect to my iPhone and pandora? When I select bluetooth audio, I obviously want to connect and play audio from my phone...my BMW would just start playing what ever audio source I had paused.

More to come...

X
Old 02-10-2014, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
1. dont u have a on the wall garage button
2. seems fine to me
3. i agree.....still cant get mine to tell me whats playing
Old 02-11-2014, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 335X-ray
So I have had the car for just over 90 days and have had the chance to think about everyday use of the car and came up with a few thoughts and questions...please feel free to answer or add thoughts/questions of your own.

1. I like to open my garage door before I start the car...CO poisoning and all...
It seems like I have to push the start/stop button without my foot on the brake to power on the car (even though I just unlocked the car presumably to get ready to drive it). That is the only way to get power to the garage door opener in the rear view mirror. Seems like the opener should work as soon as the car is unlocked. Not very user friendly. Any ways around this?

X
Personally, I think that for safety reasons its a good idea that the garage door buttons do not work without the key being used to activate them. One reason is that little kids alone in the car could open or close the garage door when its not safe. Another is that a bad guy could open your house if they could open your car. Convertible E-class cars would be especially vulnerable when their top was down.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2021 G63 & 2022 G63
Originally Posted by E63AMG
Another is that a bad guy could open your house if they could open your car.
Wouldn't the car be parked in the garage?
Old 02-11-2014, 02:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
'14 E63S, '13 G550, '06 E320 cdi, and a bunch of other stuff.
Originally Posted by OWLY
Wouldn't the car be parked in the garage?

no.

# of cars > # of garage spaces
Old 02-11-2014, 02:47 PM

2021 G63 & 2022 G63
Originally Posted by ace10
no.

# of cars > # of garage spaces
Let me rephrase…wouldn't the E63 be parked in the garage? It deserves a garage space doesn't it?
Old 02-11-2014, 09:53 PM

2010 R8 V10, 2013 Cayenne GTS, 2014 GLK 250
Like to add...

I am at 60 days, but certain things bug me, having come over from BMW's:

1) the seat heater is unmitigated crap. Sorry, but I don't think turning on my seat ventilation with the heated seats should be needed to warm up the seat. BMW really has this nailed down "across the line," as opposed to certain vehicles having it work well and not so well in others. Picked up a GLK 250 for my wife a month earlier and seat heaters are much better.

2) OK, this one really bothers me...when trying to direct heated air from climate control to the footwell as well as the body, it is not possible. You can either send it to the footwell area or to the chest/body area, but not together. Sorry, this is just dumb and somebody at Mercedes is overthinking things.

3) Seriously, no heated steering wheel? Not all cars are going to be driven in LA.

4) Seats really don't have the greatest level of adjustment. Although, the adaptive bolsters are nice.

5) I agree with the OP that the iPhone should just be recognized for Audio without having to reconnect.

Other than that, the vehicle looks amazing. Everytime I walk up to it I feel like I am getting ready to go out on a mob hit...lol.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:14 PM

2021 GLS63
Originally Posted by vdubpower
1. dont u have a on the wall garage button
2. seems fine to me
3. i agree.....still cant get mine to tell me whats playing
I hear you on the wall opener button, but my garage is a basement garage and is directly below my living room. Given the recent arctic temps at or near 0, having the garage door open as little as possible is always the goal to keep the heat in.

Originally Posted by 2thdr
I am at 60 days, but certain things bug me, having come over from BMW's:

1) the seat heater is unmitigated crap. Sorry, but I don't think turning on my seat ventilation with the heated seats should be needed to warm up the seat. BMW really has this nailed down "across the line," as opposed to certain vehicles having it work well and not so well in others. Picked up a GLK 250 for my wife a month earlier and seat heaters are much better.

SO true, you have to sit in your undies to even feel it. One thing I really don't like.

2) OK, this one really bothers me...when trying to direct heated air from climate control to the footwell as well as the body, it is not possible. You can either send it to the footwell area or to the chest/body area, but not together. Sorry, this is just dumb and somebody at Mercedes is overthinking things.

3) Seriously, no heated steering wheel? Not all cars are going to be driven in LA.

I wish it had a heated wheel as well. There is a bunch of metal around the wheel which is damn cold when it is 0 in the car.

4) Seats really don't have the greatest level of adjustment. Although, the adaptive bolsters are nice.

Bolsters trump most adjustment but I wish the seat back articulated like my comfort seats.

5) I agree with the OP that the iPhone should just be recognized for Audio without having to reconnect.

Other than that, the vehicle looks amazing. Everytime I walk up to it I feel like I am getting ready to go out on a mob hit...lol.
X
Old 02-11-2014, 11:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E63 S
I'm 4200 km in. My b*tch list is the same as the ones above, though I'm also not happy there isn't a manual toggle for the high beams.

It's a super cool car but I get the feeling they spent all their focus on the drive and less on the amenities. I'll trade up when they sort them out.

fWIW No one talks about it much but the B&O is incredible. Makes up for a lot of the above.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:39 PM

2014 E63 S-AMG 2013 GL450 4matic

Right on! What's up with this? My GL has it and this car should have a heated wheel.

Other than that, the vehicle looks amazing. Everytime I walk up to it I feel like I am getting ready to go out on a mob hit...lol
Haha love it!

I'm in just over 100 days of ownership. A daily driver with almost 10,000 on it and in the middle of one of the harshest winters I can recall in the NY/NJ metro area. TO ALL FELLOW OWNERS OF RIGS WITH 19's OR LARGER! BEWARE OF THOSE POTHOLES SON!!

Love this car! I drive hard, fast and often and thank god I bought the wheel coverage because I'm on my 2nd replacement front wheel. She's in the service dept at my dealer waiting for daddy to pick her up tomorrow ( had oil changed again because I can). I've also had my drivers side brushed chrome lower ferring replaced (not covered but only $130 if I recall.

At idle the sporadic spuddering can be annoying and I get an occasional undesired tranny shift that makes me shutter a bit mostly in comfort mode.

Hate the 'eco' button nonsense in comfort as this is my main mode.

Not AMG specific but love the pop down storage/grocery bag stabilizer in the trunk, sick trick just sayin'.

The MB connect bluetooth interface still leaves a lot to be desired IMO. I mean Ford sync is superior and well it's ford! This is MB man.

I do plan on tuning it, no hardware though. Getting windows tinted because it just has to be...... and I have to get the passport 9500ci installed because I drive fast and share the road with lots of troopers, I'm getting to know too many of them lately. Lol.

Did I mention yet how much I love this car! Ridiculous piece of german engineering.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
'14 E63S, '13 G550, '06 E320 cdi, and a bunch of other stuff.
Originally Posted by Chocofishez
I'm 4200 km in. My b*tch list is the same as the ones above, though I'm also not happy there isn't a manual toggle for the high beams.

Switch the master headlight control knob out of "Auto," and you'll regain control over the highbeams.

Absolutely worthless engineering, right there.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...tionality.html
Old 02-12-2014, 09:55 AM

2021 GLS63
Originally Posted by ace10
Switch the master headlight control knob out of "Auto," and you'll regain control over the highbeams.

Absolutely worthless engineering, right there.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...tionality.html
Good info Ace! I remember reading that post about how everyone hated the auto high beams and thought, what's the big deal?

Then I tried them in my urban neighborhood coming home from a light night at work and then I activated them, then never went to "high" because of street lights and reflections from all the parked cars. Completely worthless.

X
Old 02-12-2014, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
wow, some pretty minor gripes here.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:14 AM

2021 G63 & 2022 G63
The drive makes up for most them...
Old 02-12-2014, 10:24 AM

2021 GLS63
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
wow, some pretty minor gripes here.
Yes, but when you spend $100k on a car, you think they would have thought of most of them...Kia did with the exception of the engine

The drive makes up for most them...
Very true. But if we don't *****/offer constructive criticism, they won't make improvements.

X
Old 02-12-2014, 10:44 AM

2021 G63 & 2022 G63
I'm happy it reads my text messages…hehe

I've never found a perfect vehicle. I rank things that matter most to me and try forgetting the smaller things (can be challenging at times).

Last edited by OWLY; 02-12-2014 at 10:49 AM.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:34 PM

2014 E63S
The only gripes I have about my 2014 with approx 1500 miles on it, relate to rattles. I thought I had this licked, but with the recent spat of cold weather the rattles have returned. I think they are in each door, and perhaps even behind the center console. I'm going to have MB look them over when I take it in for the 2k diff oil change. Other than that, love it, love it, love it. Even with snow tires on it, it goes like the clappers!

Regarding bluetooth audio, if I don't touch anything it automatically reconnects and starts playing when i get in the car.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:02 AM

I'm happy it reads my text messages…hehe
Please explain how to get the car to do this. I couldn't figure it out. Thx!
Old 02-14-2014, 01:41 AM

2021 G63 & 2022 G63
Originally Posted by E63AMG
Please explain how to get the car to do this. I couldn't figure it out. Thx!
http://www4.mercedes-benz.com/manual.../en/index.html

CLICK 'NEXT'

CLICK 'IN DEPTH'

CLICK 'COMMAND ONLINE'

CLICK 'TELEPHONE'

CLICK 'TEXT MESSAGES'

SEND ME A BOTTLE OF SCOTCH...
Old 02-14-2014, 01:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'10 F150 FX4 SCrew. '14 S212S
I am at about 45 days of possession.

Heated steering is not available with any AMG that has the performance wheel.

I hate Ford Sync for Bluetooth Audio. If I use it once, everytime I get back in the truck, it starts playing my music even if I have it on the FM radio. Drains my phone battery. I like it better in the Benz where I can choose to start it.

I did like the C63 seat better. I still don't understand why the passenger seat doesn't get massage or dynamic bolsters on a $135K car. Ridiculous.

Heated seats don't seem so bad. But then again, my garage is heated.

Swiping the trunk open with your foot doesn't always seem to work. Maybe my sensor is caked with road grime from our ****ty winter.

Comand is still in the dark ages.

At the limit, the car understeers a little more than I like. It can be controlled, but the massive weight (5000 lbs +) really limits your options. The LSD is so worth the extra dollars. Helps rotate the car with the right pedal.

I'll just leave this here:

Old 02-14-2014, 06:36 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2008 Saab 93 TurboX SC (BSR stage 1)/2014 E63 S Wagon (Rebellion Tuned/Renntech Sport Mufflers)
I like these pics!!
Old 02-14-2014, 09:07 AM

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts
'22 S580 / '21 911 Turbo S / '20 Range Rover Autobiography
now that looks like a TON of fun!
Old 02-14-2014, 11:15 AM

2014 E63 S
Where did you do that Beny? That does look like a tonne of fun.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:28 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'10 F150 FX4 SCrew. '14 S212S
Ghost Lake.

that reminds of another petpeve of the new car. Oil temp. It takes forever to get up to temp when it is cold outside. It also doesn't maintain it. The ride home from this winter driving course on the lake, it was about -24. I went from 100 C down to 61C by the time I hit the city limit (30 kms). I don't recall my C63 ever doing that. It is as if the cooling loop for the oil never closes.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:50 PM

2014 E63 S
Originally Posted by benyl
Ghost Lake.

that reminds of another petpeve of the new car. Oil temp. It takes forever to get up to temp when it is cold outside. It also doesn't maintain it. The ride home from this winter driving course on the lake, it was about -24. I went from 100 C down to 61C by the time I hit the city limit (30 kms). I don't recall my C63 ever doing that. It is as if the cooling loop for the oil never closes.
I got the same thing when driving back from Edmonton last weekend. It must be something to do with extra cooling in the system for those turbos when it's hot out.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 90 days, a few little things