Ever since I put on the Pole Postition s4 Bridgestone Potenzas

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 660 Likes on 518 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
Ever since I put on the Pole Postition s4 Bridgestone Potenzas

I can't get the tires to spin, even with the traction control off? I'm starting to wonder if there is something wrong with the car? I have been driving it fairly gentle the past couple of months, so maybe the car learned to be slower? I guess not a bad problem to have, but the conti's that were on there before would go up in smoke if I sat there with the traction control off and mashed the gas all the way to the floor. I guess I'll just have to get the car to the quarter mile track and make sure I'm at least low 12's, if not I'll take the car to the dealer to get it looked at. Seems to be shifting through the gears ok and all. I mean what would I tell the dealer if the car only does mid or high 12's that it's not performing the way it should in the quarter mile? I'd be nervous they would void my warrantee or something.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
your over analyzing man....with my PSS they hold the ground alot better than the Pirellis but u can still get them to cut loose if u try hard.....i find it hard to believe that in ESP OFF u cant get the car to act crazy....

im sure your still low 12's dont worry
Old 03-19-2014, 01:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nope, the car is totally docile off the line and just bites, but ya, that's what I thought that the rear end would get squarely, nope. Might be a different story on the drag track starting line I have a feeling. My other car I got a while back is all over the place off the line, downright scary, it's a built up 454 in a 1968 Lemans, you even hit 2nd and they smoke up again at 40 mph, gonna be real interesting to see what it's like when I put the tires I've got coming in tomorrow, hopefully get them on tomorrow. I sure hope the Pontiac is better because right now it's scary to drive, feels like I'm on ice and the tires are the widest that will fit without tubing the rear fenders. I think a lot of it has to do with how worn the tires are on the benz, the conti's I took off were getting about 1/2 worn, maybe new tires just hook up better. But I still don't understand why I cant even get a chirp out of them. Maybe when I was at the MB dealer last they detuned the car because they were about mb liability with a guy who uses a wheelchair driving such a fast car.

Last edited by 2012 merc amg; 03-19-2014 at 02:21 AM.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'10 F150 FX4 SCrew. '14 S212S
Or maybe the temps have risen?
Old 03-19-2014, 12:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'12 E63 Wagon
New tires made a *hell* of a difference on my 2012 wagon.

It should still be possible to switch off traction control (hold down the stability control button until it says its all off), put the transmission in S+, power-brake the car for a brief second and then light the back up in a blaze of semi-accelerating fury.

Still though, 1/2 worn contis were all over the place, and I pleaded with the dealer to put a different tire on... but nope... before they sold it to me they had to put "original tires" on it and now Im back on Contis, which have good traction (for the next few miles).
Old 03-19-2014, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by cnolke
New tires made a *hell* of a difference on my 2012 wagon.

It should still be possible to switch off traction control (hold down the stability control button until it says its all off), put the transmission in S+, power-brake the car for a brief second and then light the back up in a blaze of semi-accelerating fury.

Still though, 1/2 worn contis were all over the place, and I pleaded with the dealer to put a different tire on... but nope... before they sold it to me they had to put "original tires" on it and now Im back on Contis, which have good traction (for the next few miles).

Bummer, you would have been a lot better off with the Bridgestones or the Michelins plus the dealer would have saved money because both those tires are less than the crappy Conti's. Ya, I think your right though, I'm pretty sure if I power braked it I could get all hell to break loose. I did hold the traction control button and turn off the traction control. I guess all this is good news because I really like the way these Bridgestones hook up.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

drove home today with esp off, S + trans.....accelerates like a monster...im sure if i tried i could drift it....but no need ......its that 50-110mph on the fwy is insane
Old 03-20-2014, 01:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E63 S
Originally Posted by vdubpower
drove home today with esp off, S + trans.....accelerates like a monster...im sure if i tried i could drift it....but no need ......its that 50-110mph on the fwy is insane
Pretty hard to find places to really uncork an E63... Before you know it you're on the azz of some plebeian POS.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

hence i havent gotten a tune....enless im running half mile airstrip attacks every week....ill almost always be the fastest car on the street