Sponsored by:

Racing seats for w212 e63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG
Racing seats for w212 e63

Guys i am strongly considering buying a matching front set of racing/bucket seats and am looking at sparco and status seats. I know some might say why do this to the car or you gonna loose massage functions etc but could live without those very easily...

Anybody have any experience with these companies? Any recommendations?
Old 03-20-2014, 11:02 PM

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
2011 Audi A4, 2014 E63S Wagon, 2020 GLS 580
Having done this type of swap in Porsche's, the two big things you have to watch out for are:

1) Sensors in the factory seats for airbags, esp. on the passenger side. You're going to have to get shop manual, figure out the pinouts for the connector and then make sure you can wire the connector to make it appear no one is in the passenger seat or someone is always in the passenger seat so it activates the pass side airbag. I suspect if you just disconnect the cable and leave it hang, it will throw some kind of dash error code.

2) If you're thinking about 5-point harnesses then you also have to deal with the seat belt interlock sensor or else you will get a constant seat belt chime.

Race seats aren't really too practical for the street. They are hard to get in and out of, esp. for the ladies. They have only fore/aft manual adjustment. No up/down, tilt, seatback or anything else. They are generally quite narrow, so not everyone can fit in them comfortably.

I would think very carefully before pulling the trigger and see if you can find a shop that does street car to track car conversions to help you pull this off. It is tricky to replace the stock seats in any new car with all the safety features built into them now.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
dont forget a rollcage
Old 03-21-2014, 01:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E63 S
Originally Posted by ksalno
Having done this type of swap in Porsche's, the two big things you have to watch out for are:

1) Sensors in the factory seats for airbags, esp. on the passenger side. You're going to have to get shop manual, figure out the pinouts for the connector and then make sure you can wire the connector to make it appear no one is in the passenger seat or someone is always in the passenger seat so it activates the pass side airbag. I suspect if you just disconnect the cable and leave it hang, it will throw some kind of dash error code.

2) If you're thinking about 5-point harnesses then you also have to deal with the seat belt interlock sensor or else you will get a constant seat belt chime.

Race seats aren't really too practical for the street. They are hard to get in and out of, esp. for the ladies. They have only fore/aft manual adjustment. No up/down, tilt, seatback or anything else. They are generally quite narrow, so not everyone can fit in them comfortably.

I would think very carefully before pulling the trigger and see if you can find a shop that does street car to track car conversions to help you pull this off. It is tricky to replace the stock seats in any new car with all the safety features built into them now.
Wow lots of detail here. Doesn't sound like a good mod for an E63. You'll probably lose 2x the value of the seats on trade... Or you'll need to go through the trouble of putting the eom seats back in properly and sell the racing seats to someone else. Not for me!
Old 03-21-2014, 01:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
GL, E63
dont do it....
Old 03-21-2014, 08:13 AM

AMG
Originally Posted by ksalno

Thank you for the detailed response.
Sensors for airbags and airbags themselves are what's holding me back. I honestly don't think I need a shop for the install but I would definitely need some help regarding the airbags. I guess will have to look around for more info.

On a side note a lot of negativity on this forum. People pls lighten up a bit.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:04 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'14 E63S, '13 G550, '06 E320 cdi, and a bunch of other stuff.
Do you really track the car that much?

For cars that see light duty, I've used a CG lock on the 3 pointer. They do a pretty good job of stabilizing your lower body.

Look at the Simpson H&N offerings for compatibility with 3 Pt belts.

$0.02
Old 03-21-2014, 10:41 AM

AMG
Originally Posted by vdubpower
dont forget a rollcage

I might do this also

Old 03-21-2014, 12:03 PM

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
2011 Audi A4, 2014 E63S Wagon, 2020 GLS 580
Originally Posted by m0v30v3r
Thank you for the detailed response.
Sensors for airbags and airbags themselves are what's holding me back. I honestly don't think I need a shop for the install but I would definitely need some help regarding the airbags. I guess will have to look around for more info.

On a side note a lot of negativity on this forum. People pls lighten up a bit.
You're right, especially now when seats are really designed into the car as a "system", not just a place for someone to sit. As a system, they are typically tied into the car's electronic bus and controlled by the car's computer's. If you start replacing or disrupting that, you have to be sure you know all of the signals the computer is expecting and can find a way to spoof them.

If you are serious, start with a set of electrical diagrams and try to determine all of the connections to the seat and what they are used for. The main things to look for are weight sensors that tell the car there is someone in the seat and to arm the airbag, seatbelt interlock sensors to tell the car if the seatbelt is fastened, and control connections for the airbags themselves that are built into the sides of the stock seats.

Assuming you can find a way to deal with all of that, the next challenge is the seat rails and seat mounting points. For a 911, you can find companies that make replacement rails that will fit but for an E63 you will probably need to find someone who can make a custom set of seat rails to fit the aftermarket seats into the car.

The last issue is belts. If you plan to use 6 point belts, the lap belts can probably be mounted where the stock belts are. The crotch belts can be mounted to the aftermarket seat frame but I don't know where you would mount the shoulder belts. In a race car, there is generally a roll cage with a cross member behind the seat that the shoulder belts can be mounted to. Not sure what you would use in a 4/5 person sedan without giving up use of the back seat entirely.

I'm not trying to be negative. As I said, I've done this before and I'm just trying to make you aware of the challenges you are likely to face.

Karl
Old 03-21-2014, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
E55 amg
run 10's full weight ! u are not suppose to rice out a Benz especially a AMG
Old 03-22-2014, 08:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63 BS
I'm not sure about the Airbag sensor voltage in the AMG's, but when I had my STi you could just wire three 1 ohm resistors in parallel and put them in the plug and it fooled the airbag light to thinking they where still attached.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by m0v30v3r
I might do this also