W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the deal with the TCU on these cars?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 07:23 AM

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
W212 E63 AMG S Model
Originally Posted by Fairbird
yes I did , but we talking power or quality ? E65 stated no power gains on W3
power gains without quality are meaniningless. I can show you 1000hp one-time dyno on e63, but is that worth anything?
Old 11-21-2016, 07:31 AM

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
C300
Originally Posted by efiftyfizzle
power gains without quality are meaniningless. I can show you 1000hp one-time dyno on e63, but is that worth anything?
you can not show me 1000 even half time . you think M157 = 2jz with manual boost controller . my set up didn't maxed out any limits .
Old 11-21-2016, 09:03 AM

W212 E63 AMG S Model
you can not show me 1000 even half time . you think M157 = 2jz with manual boost controller . my set up didn't maxed out any limits .
You get my point though... your setup wasn't maxed out but still didn't work out. It's unfortunate and I feel bad for what you had to go through, but the way I see it... W3 kit being reliable = no significant power gains (clearly from that video against the M5)... and W3 kit with significant power gains = no reliability. Am I wrong?
Old 11-21-2016, 11:12 AM

C300
You get my point though... your setup wasn't maxed out but still didn't work out. It's unfortunate and I feel bad for what you had to go through, but the way I see it... W3 kit being reliable = no significant power gains (clearly from that video against the M5)... and W3 kit with significant power gains = no reliability. Am I wrong?
yes , little wrong . safe working range for turbocharger means if you are not pushing higher you fine in terms of reliability , I didn't push it higher , it's just me not lucky
Old 11-23-2016, 04:34 PM
e65

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
2014 E63 S model
Weistec's own claim
stock turbo with exhaust: 647.46whp on 91 Octane
W.3 turbo with FULL SUPPORTING UPGRADES: 660rwhp on 91

That 660 number was not posted to their website until after I bought the W3 package which I was told would give me 734 to the wheels on pump gas. In reality you get 12.5whp? Those extra horsepower could well be coming from the extra supporting upgrades.

Whatever tricks you might have up your sleeve that others don't to improve the results of the W3 Turbo you could use the same tricks on a stock turbo and you will get the same result.

The facts are painfully clear. There's nobody left who looks at these facts and still thinks that W3 has any benefit as ypu can see from multiple responses.

My desire is simple I want to warn people not to make the same mistake I did. The bottom line is this: if you buy a w3 and ask a shop to install it and send your ecm to weistec for a tune you will walk away with the same horsepower as a stock Turbo with identical supporting upgrades.

The revised numbers published by weistec confirm this truth. Multiple recorded races also confirm this. User Sam E63 got his w3 dyno tuned. He put down same numbers as stock turbo with custom Dyno tune. Maxed out 670whp dynojet with race has tune, w3 and full supporting upgrades.

If people know all this and still want to go and buy a W3 that's their choice. If I have saved one person from being a sucker like myself then I have done what I wish someone else had done for me.

Last edited by e65; 11-23-2016 at 08:53 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by e65:
Astolfo (11-23-2016), efiftyfizzle (11-24-2016), Siegmann (06-26-2019), Zod (11-24-2016)
Old 11-24-2016, 08:12 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by e65
Weistec's own claim

That 660 number was not posted to their website until after I bought the W3 package which I was told would give me 734 to the wheels on pump gas. In reality you get 12.5whp? Those extra horsepower could well be coming from the extra supporting upgrades.

Whatever tricks you might have up your sleeve that others don't to improve the results of the W3 Turbo you could use the same tricks on a stock turbo and you will get the same result.

The facts are painfully clear. There's nobody left who looks at these facts and still thinks that W3 has any benefit as ypu can see from multiple responses.

My desire is simple I want to warn people not to make the same mistake I did. The bottom line is this: if you buy a w3 and ask a shop to install it and send your ecm to weistec for a tune you will walk away with the same horsepower as a stock Turbo with identical supporting upgrades.

The revised numbers published by weistec confirm this truth. Multiple recorded races also confirm this. User Sam E63 got his w3 dyno tuned. He put down same numbers as stock turbo with custom Dyno tune. Maxed out 670whp dynojet with race has tune, w3 and full supporting upgrades.

If people know all this and still want to go and buy a W3 that's their choice. If I have saved one person from being a sucker like myself then I have done what I wish someone else had done for me.
Thank you for sharing and coming forward and yes you have helped people
Old 11-24-2016, 09:26 AM

C300
I never had the car on the dyno , but track results were better with w3
Old 11-24-2016, 11:51 AM

W212 E63 AMG S Model
Originally Posted by e65
Weistec's own claim

This is what the forum is for... to share good information like that. I'm sorry that you had to go through that to only yield almost the same results as a stock turbo car. It's a lesson for the rest of us to not play the guinea pig for the tuners... let's not be so anxious for upgrades. When we do that, they rush to release stuff to make money and we get half-*** products in return. This is most likely why they've been sitting on the W4 kit for so long.
Old 11-24-2016, 12:42 PM

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
2015 gl450
Good read thread, but maybe I missed it, what's the limiting factor with the M157?

TCM?
Old 11-24-2016, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
CLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by e65
Weistec's own claim

So WHP numbers look the same with stock vs W3 as you say, but what about torque? no change there at all?

M157 on race gas tune is maxing out at 670whp, a bit disappointing as I thought its got more in there, but what about torque? Seems like that's the main strength of this engine as it excels there.
Old 11-24-2016, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 AMG
I never had the car on the dyno , but track results were better with w3
What was your best trap speeds on stock turbos vs w3 when both were equally modded?
Old 11-24-2016, 12:56 PM

C300
Originally Posted by Mike450
Good read thread, but maybe I missed it, what's the limiting factor with the M157?

TCM?
ECU
Old 11-24-2016, 01:05 PM

C300
Originally Posted by Amg63-
What was your best trap speeds on stock turbos vs w3 when both were equally modded?
stage 1 , ECU , drop ins

W3 kit

if turbocharger was in good working condition I could get better results , I'm not sure how much power I lost .
this is huge different in acceleration .
Old 11-24-2016, 08:32 PM
e65

2014 E63 S model
So WHP numbers look the same with stock vs W3 as you say, but what about torque? no change there at all?

M157 on race gas tune is maxing out at 670whp, a bit disappointing as I thought its got more in there, but what about torque? Seems like that's the main strength of this engine as it excels there.
A lot of turbo upgrade dyno charts on vendor websites show less peak torque with the turbo upgrades. Weistecs published numbers show 766tq on stock turbo and 730 peak torque on race gas with w.3 turbo.

AMS turbo upgrade according to their website published numbers also results in lower Peak torque but the torque is maintained at higher RPM thus more hp.

The only Turbo upgrade I've seen that actually increases peak torque is from Gad Motors.

Not everyone has published before and after peak torque so there may well be other turbo upgrades that also increase peak torque.

Last edited by e65; 11-24-2016 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11-25-2016, 01:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by e65
A lot of turbo upgrade dyno charts on vendor websites show less peak torque with the turbo upgrades. Weistecs published numbers show 766tq on stock turbo and 730 peak torque on race gas with w.3 turbo.

AMS turbo upgrade according to their website published numbers also results in lower Peak torque but the torque is maintained at higher RPM thus more hp.

The only Turbo upgrade I've seen that actually increases peak torque is from Gad Motors.

Not everyone has published before and after peak torque so there may well be other turbo upgrades that also increase peak torque.
looks like fairbird in the above post is showing much better acceleration with w3 kit vs stock turbos. How is it possible if both hp/tq is higher with stock turbos?
Old 11-25-2016, 06:10 AM

C300
looks like fairbird in the above post is showing much better acceleration with w3 kit vs stock turbos. How is it possible if both hp/tq is higher with stock turbos?
software
Old 11-25-2016, 01:36 PM
e65

2014 E63 S model
Numbers obtained by vbox not on a track. Could be going downhill. Could be that he has figured out how to do his w.3 to actually work. An actual track time would be much more convincing - there's no potential for other variables.

In any case if you rely on weistec calibration you will not get those times. Why else would Fairbird have to recalibrate on his own??

2 weistec e63s, 1 shop car and another customer car, both lost to renntech intermediate tune + down pipes e64 at shift sector 1/2 mile roll event. Renntech e63 did not have the full exhaust like weistec e63, renntech car had severely restrictive factory turboback pipes+ rado downpipe and pump gas tune. Weistec cars has ice tank, intake full Boltons. Weistec exhaust replaces the restrictive Factory turbo back pipes with much bigger pipes that don't even fit with the factory motor mounts requiring their own low profile motor mount

Now somebody explain that to me

Last edited by e65; 11-25-2016 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-25-2016, 01:45 PM

C300
Originally Posted by e65
Numbers obtained by vbox not on a track. Could be going downhill. Could be that he has figured out how to do his w.3 to actually work. An actual track time would be much more convincing - there's no potential for other variables.

In any case if you rely on weistec calibration you will not get those times. Why else would Fairbird have to recalibrate on his own??

2 weistec e63s, 1 shop car and another customer car, both lost to renntech intermediate tune + down pipes e64 at shift sector 1/2 mile roll event. Renntech e63 did not have the full exhaust like weistec e63, renntech car had severely restrictive factory turboback pipes+ rado downpipe and pump gas tune. Weistec cars has ice tank, intake full Boltons. Weistec exhaust replaces the restrictive Factory turbo back pipes with much bigger pipes that don't even fit with the factory motor mounts requiring their own low profile motor mount

Now somebody explain that to me
no downhill or other BS . About software you right , later on Weistec got the car to similar results with my second ECU
The following users liked this post:
e65 (11-25-2016)
Old 11-25-2016, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts
2014 E63s amg 4matic, 2009 C63, 2006 E55 AMG , 2001.5 AUDI S4 stg 3+ w/meth
funny all this talk about the W3 kit and now price is down to 6,499

http://weistec.com/all/e/e-63/2014-p...rade-m157.html
Old 11-25-2016, 02:21 PM
e65

2014 E63 S model
no downhill or other BS . About software you right , later on Weistec got the car to similar results with my second ECU
Then maybe they should offer that tune to all of their w.3 customers? They knew full well that the w.3 turbo was not producing power because they tuned the fuel for it. But they sold their w.3s anyway.

If what you say is correct then we should see better times on the quarter-mile track and we should w3 cars beating stock turbo cars instead pf losing to them now that you have fixed their tune.

The idea of a customer telling weistec how to tune their own turbo after they have sold so many of them is surreal. I hope they don't need your help to fix their W-4 calibration after selling dozens of those.

They've already lost my trust by selling me something that they knew was not going to increase performance as advertised

Last edited by e65; 11-25-2016 at 02:25 PM.
Old 11-25-2016, 02:35 PM
e65

2014 E63 S model
Also if they have updated their w3 tune which now produces more power why don't they update the 660 rear wheel horsepower figure on their website?
Old 11-25-2016, 03:15 PM

C300
Originally Posted by e65
Also if they have updated their w3 tune which now produces more power why don't they update the 660 rear wheel horsepower figure on their website?
how they can update if my car wasn't on the dyno ? any shop who do the install need to log the car and see what happens and talk to weistec , they know how to fix the issue they supply base tune and this is right , if the car in colorado ? if the car on 91 octane ? weistec will be responsible for it ? my shop does it , any w3 car will come out tuned the right way . you can't build 1 tune good for everyone and client don't know that , dealer or installer should know !
Old 11-25-2016, 03:59 PM
e65

2014 E63 S model
how they can update if my car wasn't on the dyno ? any shop who do the install need to log the car and see what happens and talk to weistec , they know how to fix the issue they supply base tune and this is right , if the car in colorado ? if the car on 91 octane ? weistec will be responsible for it ? my shop does it , any w3 car will come out tuned the right way . you can't build 1 tune good for everyone and client don't know that , dealer or installer should know !
Even their shop car on race gas lost to stock turbo Renttech car on pump gas with fewer boltons. So they couldn't even build a proper tune for themselves. Somebody please explain that
Old 11-25-2016, 05:48 PM

W212 E63 AMG S Model
Originally Posted by e65
Even their shop car on race gas lost to stock turbo Renttech car on pump gas with fewer boltons. So they couldn't even build a proper tune for themselves. Somebody please explain that
this guy understands what I meant in the other thread I created about the stock turbo m6 running 10.3. Upgraded turbos are all hype at this point.
Old 11-25-2016, 06:34 PM
e65

2014 E63 S model
this guy understands what I meant in the other thread I created about the stock turbo m6 running 10.3. Upgraded turbos are all hype at this point.
730whp e63 should destroy a 630whp e63 in a 1/2 mile race. Either Weistec lied about 730whp w.3 or efrench lied about his car having 630whp. For me it's not about hype it's dishonesty.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What's the deal with the TCU on these cars?