W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CPO car: drive belt and tensioner failure + overheat... skip?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 09:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05 M3 / 13 E63 Wagon
CPO car: drive belt and tensioner failure + overheat... skip?

Greetings MBWorld, first post here. Eyeing up a CPO 2013 E63 w/ 30k miles. Would you walk based on this?

Got a copy of the car's full service history and looks like the car had an overheat condition in January. Best I can tell, the belt tensioner seized and then the belt snapped and the coolant pump stopped. History also shows the car dropped coolant at the time through a relief valve, so that may indicate the degree to which the motor overheated. The prev owner stopped the car and had it towed in. Looks like he traded the car in immediately after.

Coming from the M3 world, a brief overheat may not be bad but not sure how sturdy the heads and head gaskets are in the M157. Should I demand the dealer do a leakdown? Anyone heard of a similar failure? I didn't check for "milk" in oil cap after test drive, got the history after. Car drives fine nothing weird. Cursory searches of the forum turned up nothing for this failure.

Car is under original warranty until next yr, and then CPO for another 3 yrs (I'd purchase +2 yr extension), so that eases my mind. But if the head or gasket are toast, not sure I want to chase those problems for years to come..

Last edited by ruffy dongles; 04-10-2016 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-10-2016, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
Originally Posted by ruffy dongles
Greetings MBWorld, first post here. Eyeing up a CPO 2013 E63 w/ 30k miles. Would you walk based on this?

Got a copy of the car's full service history and looks like the car had an overheat condition in January. Best I can tell, the belt tensioner seized and then the belt snapped and the coolant pump stopped. History also shows the car dropped coolant at the time through a relief valve, so that may indicate the degree to which the motor overheated. The prev owner stopped the car and had it towed in. Looks like he traded the car in immediately after.

Coming from the M3 world, a brief overheat may not be bad but not sure how sturdy the heads and head gaskets are in the M157. Should I demand the dealer do a leakdown? Anyone heard of a similar failure? I didn't check for "milk" in oil cap after test drive, got the history after. Car drives fine nothing weird. Cursory searches of the forum turned up nothing for this failure.

Car is under original warranty until next yr, and then CPO for another 3 yrs (I'd purchase +2 yr extension), so that eases my mind. But if the head or gasket are toast, not sure I want to chase those problems for years to come..
Depends, how long do you plan to keep the car?
Old 04-10-2016, 01:31 PM

05 M3 / 13 E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by kponti
Depends, how long do you plan to keep the car?
Drive ~10-15k mi/yr until warranty expires (2020) then reevaluate. Do these belt tensioners fail often?
Old 04-10-2016, 01:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
If it's the right price and it's got a warranty it's not a bad thing
Old 04-10-2016, 07:20 PM

05 M3 / 13 E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
If it's the right price and it's got a warranty it's not a bad thing
I'm thinking the same. Will have to settle on middle ground btwn what I want to do (leak down, private PPI, oil analysis) and what dealer will allow (probably none of those), and rely on warranty if any big issues.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:32 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
2012 E63
How much are they asking? What city/state/area is it in?
Old 05-21-2016, 12:57 PM

05 M3 / 13 E63 Wagon
just an update... bought the car and +2 yr CPO extension. Drove it up to Watkins Glen (support car for the M3) and back as well as other trips totaling >1500 miles so far and no coolant consumption, oil consumption or any other odd behavior. Love this car. Will post pics once I have time to clean her up...
Old 05-21-2016, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 653 Likes on 511 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
Those were good years, the 2012 and 2013's, plus you can still do burn outs with no AWD.
Old 05-21-2016, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
So the general consensus here is to buy despite the overheat issue, and yet everyone is in a hissy fit if the car was previously leased citing abuse.
These cars can handle some abuse as long as the maintenance is done. But I can say I would be more worried about a previous history of overheating more so than whether a leased car or one with a tune was abused enough to pass on.

That being said, OP, I wouldn't worry about it, that's what CPO is for, enjoy!
Old 05-21-2016, 05:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by kponti
So the general consensus here is to buy despite the overheat issue, and yet everyone is in a hissy fit if the car was previously leased citing abuse.
These cars can handle some abuse as long as the maintenance is done. But I can say I would be more worried about a previous history of overheating more so than whether a leased car or one with a tune was abused enough to pass on.

That being said, OP, I wouldn't worry about it, that's what CPO is for, enjoy!
If it's under warranty and cpo you can lean on the cpo, otherwise I'd walk away from this car

Why would they cpo this car, they usually just auction these cars off