Sponsored by:

Why is m5 faster that e63s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 12:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 M5, 2009 GTR Alpha 12, 2012 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by TMC M5
I was talking to a BMW dealer last month and he claimed he heard from corporate "no AWD on the next generation M5".
Yeah last year I was talking to the service rep and he stated AWD was in the works for m5/m6. But I read on bimmerpost that next gen M5 is to stay RWD.

"That's the word according to M division's CEO Frank van Meel. Speaking with Autocar, he said rear-wheel drive would always remain the default configuration for M cars, but an all-wheel-drive option was inevitable. It will have to be rear-biased and will be different than xDrive, but it will still send power to all four wheels".

However, it may be a unique RWD that send power to the front when needed or something along the lines. I guess we see it officially when its released.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:28 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 Mercedes Benz E63 S AMG
Originally Posted by Esix3AMG
Yeah last year I was talking to the service rep and he stated AWD was in the works for m5/m6. But I read on bimmerpost that next gen M5 is to stay RWD.

"That's the word according to M division's CEO Frank van Meel. Speaking with Autocar, he said rear-wheel drive would always remain the default configuration for M cars, but an all-wheel-drive option was inevitable. It will have to be rear-biased and will be different than xDrive, but it will still send power to all four wheels".

However, it may be a unique RWD that send power to the front when needed or something along the lines. I guess we see it officially when its released.
I can't see the hardcore M guys going for AWD. In fact, it shocked me when MB released the E63 S as AWD. I have found that RWD guys are RWD guys.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:58 AM

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
2015 gl450
Yes, and the M division was also only devoted to cars, would never use FI and would never dream of not offering a true manual.

2 of those beloved M ideologys are gone and the third on its way out the door also.

Hardcore M guys don't float the M financial boat, car sales do. M can't compete with AMG and Audi in snowbelt states without awd.

Last edited by Mike450; 07-30-2016 at 08:39 AM.
Old 07-30-2016, 01:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,321 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by Mike450
Yes, and the M division was also only devoted to cars, would never use FI and would never dream of not offering a true manual.

2 of those beloved M ideologys are gone and the third on its way out the door also.

Hardcore M guys don't float the M financial boat, car sales do. M can't compete with AMG and Audi in snowbelt states without awd.
You think the awd is needed because they (BMW) need to compete with other high performance cars in snow ... Or that they want to compete with sub 3 second 0-60's which is becoming the norm among these cars? If that was the case the c63 should also be awd as many more of these are sold compared to e63/S
Old 07-30-2016, 04:28 PM

The M cars will never go AWD. There is no reason to do so.
Old 07-30-2016, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
Originally Posted by proxygeek
RS7......... E63....... Two very very good reasons for M division to at the very minimal offer AWD
Old 07-30-2016, 09:09 PM

2015 gl450

You need to relax with thinking your opion is fact when it comes to cars. It's been widely known for more than year they were going awd.

http://jalopnik.com/bmw-says-all-whe...oon-1679558822

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...py-photos-news

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...re-inevitable/

Last edited by Mike450; 07-30-2016 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:14 PM

2015 gl450
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
You think the awd is needed because they (BMW) need to compete with other high performance cars in snow ... Or that they want to compete with sub 3 second 0-60's which is becoming the norm among these cars? If that was the case the c63 should also be awd as many more of these are sold compared to e63/S

Both. With the ever increasing power these days, street traction becomes an issue and the perception on it being undrivable in inclement weather is also a problem.

Let's face it, these are DD mobiles for most and thought of 600 rwd hp in the snow/rain, regardless of tire, is not some thing that inspires confidence in many.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,321 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Both. With the ever increasing power these days, street traction becomes an issue and the perception on it being undrivable in inclement weather is also a problem.

Let's face it, these are DD mobiles for most and thought of 600 rwd hp in the snow/rain, regardless of tire, is not some thing that inspires confidence in many.
Makes sense

The awd system in the x5 M seems to work very well... Anyone know what type of awd system this is ... Fixed split?
Old 07-30-2016, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
Originally Posted by Google
xDrive is the permanent all-wheel drive system from BMW: under normal circumstances, it distributes driver power between the front and rear axles in a 40:60 ratio, and changes this figure variably when the road surface or overall driving conditions change.
What I am being too lazy to look up is how much variability is allowed with this system. Whats the max that ca go to the front or rear etc etc

EDIT:
Acting virtually instantaneously and a manner so subtle as to be go virtually unnoticed by the vehicle's occupants, xDrive can direct up to 100% of drive forces to one axle. Enabling the driver to start up effortlessly even on slippery surfaces or steep hills, xDrive routes all power to the axles with the greatest traction. When parking, the system reacts to the need for high maneuverability at low speed by opening the clutch completely so the powertrain functions optimally.

Last edited by kponti; 07-30-2016 at 10:58 PM.
Old 07-31-2016, 01:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 M5, 2009 GTR Alpha 12, 2012 E63 AMG

I agree the bimmer dealership in my state doesn't even stock RWD non M cars because they just don't sell. They almost always have at least one x5m and it doesn't stay on the floor very long. They said if the m5/m6 came in AWD they would keep one on hand but since its RWD it order only.

Where I live we get like 7-8 months of long dark winters so have AWD is a must especially since i love to DD my M5 with all the luxury and comfort it comes with.
Old 07-31-2016, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,001 Likes on 808 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Funny, that's what the hardcore M fanboys said. They will never go with turbos and never use an automatic....let's just add the 4wd to the never list.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by BlownV8
Funny, that's what the hardcore M fanboys said. They will never go with turbos and never use an automatic....let's just add the 4wd to the never list.
I never heard that. I think you pulled that directly out of your ***. You won't see an M with AWD.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
I never heard that. I think you pulled that directly out of your ***. You won't see an M with AWD.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M

BMW M vehicles typically used manuals and semi-automatic transmissions (the most recent type being a dual clutch transmission), in contrast to Mercedes-AMG which largely has automatic transmissions (the 7-speed AMG SpeedShift MCT dual clutch transmission was used on new models from 2009 onward). However, the BMW X5 M and X6 M were the first M-vehicles offered with automatic transmission, a 6-speed Steptronic unit, since this works with xDrive.

BMW M engines were traditionally low displacement naturally aspirated high revving engines, particularly the S85 V10 in the E60 M5 and E63 M6 and the related S65 V8 in the E90 M3. These are the most powerful engines BMW has ever built (not including the BMW S70/2) without supercharging or turbocharging, with an output of 100 hp per liter of displacement, and each has won numerous International Engine of the Year Awards.[9][11] [12] As late as the early 2000s, BMW regarded forced-induction (supercharging or turbocharging) as low-tech shortcuts to boosting horsepower, stating that this adds weight and complexity while reducing throttle response.[10] BMW purists have noted that while forced induction and/or large displacement does produce more torque for better day-to-day driving, most of them like the "character" and sound of low displacement naturally aspirated engines with high redlines.[13]

You want people to respect your opinion and treat you with respect. But you need to stop acting like a punk. You claim you're an intelligent person, start acting like one.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:43 AM

You want people to respect your opinion and treat you with respect. But you need to stop acting like a punk. You claim you're an intelligent person, start acting like one.
That link proved absolutely nothing to support your point.

So I'm still convinced it's PDOOMA (Pulled Directly Out Of My ***). In this case, yours.

Saying you pulled something out of your *** (which I see a lot around here), isn't being a punk. It's calling BS on a statement for which you can't prove. I have posted around here in other threads and am quite civil. Being a punk is passive aggressively asserting yourself as an authority, being sarcastic, and dismissing/rejecting another person's ideas in a sarcastic manner (for which I'm giving you a dose of your own medicine)
Old 08-01-2016, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5

So I'm still convinced it's PDOOMA (Pulled Directly Out Of My ***). In this case, yours.

Saying you pulled something out of your *** (which I see a lot around here), isn't being a punk. It's calling BS on a statement for which you can't prove. I have posted around here in other threads and am quite civil. Being a punk is passive aggressively asserting yourself as an authority, being sarcastic, and dismissing/rejecting another person's ideas in a sarcastic manner (for which I'm giving you a dose of your own medicine)
I didn't come up with the original statement. And it is factual. BMW Motorsport said years ago it was not going to use forced induction and ALWAYS had manual transmissions (E46 was the first to offer a non-manual). BMW M purists have said these things over the years. I have heard it, others have heard, yet you think you are a "car guy" and you call BS over that statement? Sounds more like you are a 15 year old...because you sure act it. We are adults here...I think you have spent too many years keyboard fighting on GTA forums with kids.

You are a troll...I am done interacting with you and your childish ways. I have rarely put someone on ignore but you bring absolutely nothing to this forum. Enjoy!
The following 2 users liked this post by TMC M5:
gaspam (08-01-2016), Mike450 (08-01-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Just because you haven't heard it doesn't mean anyone made it up. In this case it simply means you haven't been around the luxury performance car world long enough to know better. These exact discussions went on around here and on the M5board years ago...with the M5 guys being proven wrong of course.

Last edited by chiromikey; 08-01-2016 at 10:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TMC M5 (08-01-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 03:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 E63 AMG S
I'm a RWD guy and I love the move to AWD.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:38 PM

2015 gl450

He provided you a link that clearly spelled out BMW's M Division long time historic stance (a very well known historic stance btw) and this is still your response?

The proper adult response would be something more along the lines of "Wow! I never knew that. You learn something everyday. Thanks"

But being as I'm inclined believe you are not who you claim to be, it's not surprising ... lol
The following users liked this post:
TMC M5 (08-01-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by chiromikey
Just because you haven't heard it doesn't mean anyone made it up. In this case it simply means you haven't been around the luxury performance car world long enough to know better. These exact discussions went on around here and on the M5board years ago...with the M5 guys being proven wrong of course.
Fair enough, but I am a long time car mag reader and car forum haunt and never heard that. I was very close to buying an F10 M5 and have spent time on various Bimmer boards and the general consensus seems to be that AWD in an M car would be sacrilege.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:38 PM

He provided you a link that clearly spelled out BMW's M Division long time historic stance (a very well known historic stance btw) and this is still your response?

The proper adult response would be something more along the lines of "Wow! I never knew that. You learn something everyday. Thanks"

But being as I'm inclined believe you are not who you claim to be, it's not surprising ... lol
That did not prove YOUR point and who are you to say what a proper response is. Now that's a punk.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:41 PM

I didn't come up with the original statement. And it is factual. BMW Motorsport said years ago it was not going to use forced induction and ALWAYS had manual transmissions (E46 was the first to offer a non-manual). BMW M purists have said these things over the years. I have heard it, others have heard, yet you think you are a "car guy" and you call BS over that statement? Sounds more like you are a 15 year old...because you sure act it. We are adults here...I think you have spent too many years keyboard fighting on GTA forums with kids.

You are a troll...I am done interacting with you and your childish ways. I have rarely put someone on ignore but you bring absolutely nothing to this forum. Enjoy!
It is you who are the troll and your post's leave wordy evidence of it.

Yeah bud, I'm a 15 year old. And OK, you're an adult, yeah I can see that. You just have diarrhea of the mouth. Very common malady on car boards.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Fair enough, but I am a long time car mag reader and car forum haunt and never heard that. I was very close to buying an F10 M5 and have spent time on various Bimmer boards and the general consensus seems to be that AWD in an M car would be sacrilege.
I understand your position because the M guys back in the day were also as sure as you are the their cars would never (and they meant NEVER) go forced induction or away from a pure manual transmission.