W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reading the threads and wondering is M5 a better car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 11:20 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
?
Originally Posted by 10speed
im sorry if I missed this but how do you go about getting this done.
The dealer will have to adapt the gear gaps/centers when the gear box is cold, warm and hot in all gears. I believe this process "centers" the gears so they engage more smoothly, kind of like aligning the rear derailleur in a bicycle. I do not know if I got lucky or what but he made my 2 wagons feel like a different car. I am going tomorrow to drop a case of beer to Andrew (my engineer) I will ask him to explain it again so I can be more specific.

I wish I had made a video before and after as it is nothing short of incredible. It does not matter what I do, quickly switch from c to s to s+ and back, upshift when decelerating, down shift when accelerating, or coasting; it doesn't matter, it always shifts smoothly but firm. No more clunks, hesitation, or inconsistent lag in the 2015.

and I kid you not, the 2016 is so close to the PDK, as a matter of fact I am starting to like it better as it brings memories of when I did a perfect gear change in my first 911. Nothing like a perfectly timed gear change; quick, firm and smooth.

What kills me is why in the world AMG will not do this at the factory!
Old 02-02-2017, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
CLS63 AMG
I still don't understand this process. If I go to my dealership I don't think they will understand what I'm even asking them to do.

Are there limited dealerships that can do this or something?
Old 02-02-2017, 12:44 AM

?
Originally Posted by Amg63-
I still don't understand this process. If I go to my dealership I don't think they will understand what I'm even asking them to do.

Are there limited dealerships that can do this or something?

It is call MCT "adaptation" I will get you the code/wording tomorrow. Every AMG dealer should be able to do it, it is done by software.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:56 AM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
2014 E63 Wagon
I love you for this. Thank you. Car goes in next week and ill ask!
Old 02-02-2017, 01:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by Astolfo
It is call MCT "adaptation" I will get you the code/wording tomorrow. Every AMG dealer should be able to do it, it is done by software.
Do they charge for this?
Old 02-02-2017, 09:37 AM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
E63s
Wow ! This sound great , I will talk to my sa about this , my dealer is a Amg dealer too.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:40 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,436 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Don't get too excited ... astolfo's experience is atypical and perhaps a bit subjective and doubtful those of you that will convince your master tech to do this will feel any difference that you'll feel your mct is "as good as pdk"

and if I'm not mistaken I think he was having some serious harsh shifting, he was slamming into gear upshifting or downshifting in routine non agggressive driving and this was totally resolved. Most of us have only had smooth shifting transmissions like me.

$0.02

Last edited by PeterUbers; 02-02-2017 at 11:15 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by PeterUbers:
Amg63- (02-02-2017), LFC09 (02-03-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 10:59 AM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
2014 E63 Wagon
Is it this?

http://www.mercedesmedic.com/reset-m...-instructions/
Old 02-02-2017, 11:06 AM

?
Originally Posted by ajs76
I love you for this. Thank you. Car goes in next week and ill ask!
So we first did a full transmission adaptation and wet clutch, then we went for a drive he asked me to drive as I would, he noticed further work needed to be done so he adapted 3-4 and 4-5. it took him 3 days because needing to wait for the components to get cold.
Attached Thumbnails Reading the threads and wondering is M5 a better car?-adaptation-2-.jpg  

Last edited by Astolfo; 02-02-2017 at 11:08 AM.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Don't get too excited ... astolfo's experience is atypical and perhaps a bit subjective and doubtful those of you that will convince your master tech to do this will feel any difference that you'll feel your mct is "as good as pdk"

and if I'm not mistaken I think he was having some serious harsh shifting, he was slamming into gear upshifting or downshifting in routine non agggressive driving and this was totally resolved. Most of us have only had smooth shifting transmissions like me.

$0.02
this is what i was thinking. When MCT is working properly/smoothly do you feel like in S+ it upshifts plenty fast?

Mine feels this way in S+ , violent but smooth at the same time at redline shifting.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Amg63-
this is what i was thinking. When MCT is working properly/smoothly do you feel like in S+ it upshifts plenty fast?

Mine feels this way in S+ , violent but smooth at the same time at redline shifting.
yes ... in s+ the shifting is wicked fast and I don't feel like I'm in need of a pdk or dct
The following users liked this post:
Amg63- (02-02-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 01:06 PM

?

$0.02
If you say so

My engineer adjusted 3 cars for me, a 2015 E63s Wagon, a 2016 GTs and a 2016 E63s wagon. He could not improve the GTs so I sold it, just like I do with any car I do not like.

Yes, people should not get too exited as there is nothing worse than getting your hopes too high. But on the other hand if you do not try I feel you will not know.

You (Peter) were pretty discouraging too when I posted that the engineer was doing this work so I did not get my hopes too high, but the fact is that when I drove the wagons again they were simply different cars. I believe you also said that it was going to "Shift" again.. Well it hasn't in about 1400 miles and things are as good as when I picked it up

Believe what you want or wish but I was going to sell all the AMGs because I was not happy with the transmission, and other gremlins especially in the GTs.

Andrew (my engineer) fixed 2 of them so I kept them, the other of it went and have a replacement coming (not an AMG) in July-August.

I am fortunate enough that I do not need to keep a car if I do not completely like it. Yes I will try to make an effort to fix-adjust things to make them right, but at one point it is not worth the time; so I sell it and buy something else. I do not gain anything from making myself believe that a car is better than it is. And yes everything subjective at one point, but reasonable people will agree to a common standard.

I wander what do I have to gain from "selling" that my experience with MCT is very close if not similar to a PDK? I have both, and could drop the one I did not like without a second thought.

What is there to lose by trying? Both the wet clutch and transmission adaptation is done electronically via a harness to the TCU.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

If you say so

My engineer adjusted 3 cars for me, a 2015 E63s Wagon, a 2016 GTs and a 2016 E63s wagon. He could not improve the GTs so I sold it, just like I do with any car I do not lik

Yes, people should not get too exited as there is nothing worse than getting your hopes too high. But on the other hand if you do not try I feel you will not know.

You (Peter) were pretty discouraging too when I posted that the engineer was doing this work so I did not get my hopes too high, but the fact is that when I drove the wagons again they were simply different cars. I believe you also said that it was going to "Shift" again.. Well it hasn't in about 1400 miles and things are as good as when I picked it up

Believe what you want or wish but I was going to sell all the AMGs because I was not happy with the transmission, and other gremlins especially in the GTs.

Andrew (my engineer) fixed 2 of them so I kept them, the other of it went and have a replacement coming (not an AMG) in July-August.

I am fortunate enough that I do not need to keep a car if I do not completely like it. Yes I will try to make an effort to fix-adjust things to make them right, but at one point it is not worth the time; so I sell it and buy something else. I do not gain anything from making myself believe that a car is better than it is. And yes everything subjective at one point, but reasonable people will agree to a common standard.

I wander what do I have to gain from "selling" that my experience with MCT is very close if not similar to a PDK? I have both, and could drop the one I did not like without a second thought.

What is there to lose by trying? Both the wet clutch and transmission adaptation is done electronically via a harness to the TCU.

No disrespect man. Glad you're happy, that's all; also we are all happy about your financial prowess

glad you also recognize that not everyone's experience with this process will be identical to yours

it worked for you and you've shared with this community therefore you're a great forum member and hopefully more people will find success too; I have been overall very happy with the mct shifting .. just not thrilled with the lag initially but the sprintbooster helped

Last edited by PeterUbers; 02-02-2017 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:35 PM

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
2014 E63 S
It appears that people are talking about 2 different issues with the MCT, namely, (i) harsh shifting, and (ii) the lag in clutch engagement from either a standstill, or worse, from a "rolling stop". If I read this thread correctly, Astolfo had the former and it was fixed by his dealer. I don't think I have read anybody report that they were able to have (ii) resolved.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by HPMan
It appears that people are talking about 2 different issues with the MCT, namely, (i) harsh shifting, and (ii) the lag in clutch engagement from either a standstill, or worse, from a "rolling stop". If I read this thread correctly, Astolfo had the former and it was fixed by his dealer. I don't think I have read anybody report that they were able to have (ii) resolved.
correct. That's why I brought up what astolfo was initially experiencing with his cars
Old 02-02-2017, 01:39 PM

?
No disrespect man. Glad you're happy, that's all

glad you also recognize that not everyone's experience with this process will be identical to yours

it worked for you and you've shared with this community therefore you're a great forum member and hopefully more people will find success too; I have been overall very happy with the mct shifting .. just not thrilled with the lag initially but the sprintbooster helped
Edit: Yes 2 different issues.

1= Hard shifting both 2015 and 2016
Fixed with the adaptation.

2= Unpredictable Lag in 2015.
Improved by a great margin, I will say that now it is there but constant and minimal. My 2013 Cayenne Turbo S has a lot more lag.
None in the 2016.

Last edited by Astolfo; 02-02-2017 at 03:36 PM.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by HPMan
yes exactly, I have problem #2, but never had problem 1.

Similar to a sprint booster, a tuned car helps minimize problem #2 which I have done to it, but doesn't completely fix that stop/rolling stop lag problem.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Talked to my SA and tech and they say it's at least 3hrs of work and unless I'm experiencing harsh shifting he doubts I'll notice any improvements and even if I did it's probably not worth the several hours worth of labor charges.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Edit: Yes 2 different issues.

1= Hard shifting both 2015 and 2016
Fixed with the adaptation.

2= Unpredictable Lag in 2015.
Improved by a great margin, I will say that now it is there but constant and minimal. My 2013 Cayenne Turbo S has a lot more lag.
None in the 2016.
Hope this doesn't sound creepy but what dealership did you have this done at? I'm a PNW native and it sounds like you found a pretty good dealership.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:04 PM

?
Originally Posted by Ders
Hope this doesn't sound creepy but what dealership did you have this done at? I'm a PNW native and it sounds like you found a pretty good dealership.

mb of Bellevue

Keep in mind that I'm only sharing my experience with MY cars which are late model production for 2015 and 2016.

BTW I have unsubscribed from this thread, I do not want to endorse or get on this freaking back and forth with people trying to prove me wrong.

I thought others could benefit by sharing my experience, but some people are more interested on proving their "supreme knowledge" than finding a way to resolve issues.