Sponsored by:

E63 Transmission And Bluetooth Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63 AMG S
E63 Transmission And Bluetooth Issue

I bought a 2014 E63 AMG S with 13k miles on it back in April. It's CPO'ed. I have had issues with the transmission and bluetooth since I bought it. Details:

- Bluetooth: when streaming music that is stored locally on my phone with Spotify, etc. the sound will cut out intermittently. This is more noticeable when browsing through different apps on my phone. So if I'm at a light or someone in my car is navigating my phone looking for another song to play the sound will cut out every once in a while. This did happen with my older BMW, the Mercedes loaners I've gotten, or any other device. I've reset my bluetooth settings, they've updated the Command software. They keep trying to tell me its cell phone towers, the glass on my windows, the tint on my windows, etc. Has anyone else had an issue like this and do they know of a resolution? It's been bugging me since I got the car since I stream most of my music from my iPhone.

- Transmission: When backing the car out of my drive way and then putting it in drive and pressing the accelerator the car will kind of surge, like almost making a chugging noise when starting to drive forward. This has been more pronounced at times when the transmission actually makes the entire car jerk back and forth. That has happened at least three times and it's kind of alarming when it happens. It's more pronounced when in sport or sport+

- Transmission Again: When slowing down to around 5-10 miles per hour and then stepping on the accelerator again (normal stop and go traffic stuff) the car kind of jerks into gear. It's not smooth at all.

They have reset the transmission adaptations, but to no avail. I've asked for the transmission software to be updated several times, however the service advisor tends to ignore this request. I've also asked what version of the software the car is running and the SA has told me they have no way of getting a print out of that information for me. Seems bogus to me.

I thought buying a CPO'ed car would mean the systems would have been updated. However, since the command was "really out of date" per what the SA told me when they updated it. It leads me to believe the transmission + ecu software was not updated as well.

Also something interesting happened the other day: I was parallel parking in a spot and the power steering went out. So I was reversing in and the wheel got heavier and heavier until i couldn't move it anymore. I put it in drive and then it came back on.

I've had several other issues with the car: aux battery went out, some valve in one of the suspension parts as well had to be replaced, and some other more minor issues.

I'm in Charlotte, NC. Ive been taking it to Mercedes of Northlake, but this is the fourth time I'm bringing it in. I have pretty much lost faith that they will fix it. Any insight on how to approach the issue with the dealer or on how to resolve is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:47 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,354 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
These are all common issues on the 2014 e63S

ive had the heavy steering in reverse and the dealer said normal operation

ive had them all except Bluetooth for me is fine, iPhone 6s and i stream my Apple Music and podcasts

the transmission needs the wet clutch to be readapted ; however the jerkiness you describe is an inherent trait of the mct

Show them the paperwork from Sunil's service:

https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...r-service.html
ive had my aux battery replaced

ive had some work done to my airmatic as well

Last edited by PeterUbers; 08-29-2017 at 11:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
zther (11-27-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 12:14 PM

E63 AMG S
Ugh. After reading that thread I doubt my issue will be resolved because they've reset the adaptations twice. The car actually jerking back and forth aggressively doesn't seem like it would be a "common issue" I think most people would refuse to drive the car if it drove off the lot like that.

The power steering cutting out seems like it also shouldn't be a "common issue" what if that happened on the highway? Another safety concern.

These are the notes I sent my SA after I dropped the car off:
Hey Michael,

Here are some notes on my car that you can pass onto the tech. I want to get these issues ironed out since some have been haunting me since I got the car. The tech can reach out to me and ask me any questions that will help resolve the issues.

- Driver door squeaks loud when going over bumps or backing out of driveway
- Front tires keep deflating and triggering the warning
- Backing out of driveway and then going into drive the car surges. Like it sputters and then goes. Sometimes more prounounced
- Also same thing happens when slowing to low speeds and accelerating after. Like 5-10 mph. Way more pronounced in sport or sport plus - issue since I've had the car. Car kind of jerks into the right gear.
- Was parallel parking (reversing) and power steering died. Had to pull reaaaallly hard on the steering wheel. It came back on when I put it in drive.
-Blue tooth skips still. It cuts out for a second pretty often. It's more apparent when using the phone as it's playing music from it. My bmw didn't have this issue and neither has any other car including the Mercedes loaner nor any Bluetooth speaker/etc.
- Seat belt buckle casing broke off
- when going from reverse to drive the car feels/sounds like it's going to stall out. It gets really quiet like the reva dropped. I've experienced this when pulling forward and then backing into a spot quickly.

When going from drive to reverse it almost seems like the engine is going to stall out because it gets so quiet like its possibly a camshaft sensor going out and soft failing. I had that issue on my old, old bmw.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:19 PM
Out Of Control!!

Sorry you're dissatisfied with my response. Wet clutch adaptation is different than a trans adaptation. Common issues is the the term I used because I've commonly read about them on this forum when people complain about issues on this car -- like you.

good luck.

Last edited by PeterUbers; 08-29-2017 at 12:23 PM.
zther (09-09-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 12:22 PM

E63 AMG S
haha i didn't mean to offend you. I'm just annoyed such an expensive car has these issues and it's considered "normal". I'd think MB or AMG would come up with a better resolution than just saying its normal for the car to operate poorly.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by sean363amg
haha i didn't mean to offend you. I'm just annoyed such an expensive car has these issues and it's considered "normal". I'd think MB or AMG would come up with a better resolution than just saying its normal for the car to operate poorly.
"Normal" is their way of moving on and not having to invest more money in this ... i had normal operation on two $80,000 brand new 2014 e550's and got benz to buy them back in 2014
Old 08-29-2017, 12:26 PM

E63 AMG S
I wish they'd buy mine back. But I doubt they would haha. I guess they'll be seeing more of me until they get sick of me coming in.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...014-e63-s.html

another thread to consider

https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...ct-e63s-2.html

Last edited by PeterUbers; 08-29-2017 at 12:31 PM.
sean363amg (08-29-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 12:31 PM

E63 AMG S
omg that's so similar to what happens to mine. it's crazy. except mine happens from immediately hitting the acceleterator. I wonder what that guys resolution was!
Old 08-29-2017, 02:11 PM

E63 AMG S
Just got a call from the dealership. Unable to replicate any of the issues of course. So the shop foreman is driving it home tonight.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:08 PM

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
2014 E63s 1993 mazda rx7 on Boost
As Peter Suggested show them my paper work

https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...r-service.html

Love my car after service visit.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

Open up a case with mbusa and ask them to have a field tech visit your dealership. They need to drive the car cold after it sits overnight. You can arrange to sit with the shop foreman when they start it up and sit shotgun and watch them buck like on a bronco and tell you that's normal

it wasn't until I had the shop foreman sat with me and drove the car, with me riding shotgun, that he could not disagree that this was not normal operation

in fact a couple times he said "wow that's bad"
Old 08-29-2017, 03:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...ion-issue.html
Old 08-29-2017, 03:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

The steering wheel power got a bit better when I switched to all season tires from summer tires, but I don't like the occasional heaviness or lack of power when steering in reverse ... seems like a problem with the steering rack or power to the electric steering
Old 08-29-2017, 06:33 PM

2001 E320 W210
I bought a 2014 E63 AMG S with 13k miles on it back in April. It's CPO'ed. I have had issues with the transmission and bluetooth since I bought it. Details:

- Bluetooth: when streaming music that is stored locally on my phone with Spotify, etc. the sound will cut out intermittently. This is more noticeable when browsing through different apps on my phone. So if I'm at a light or someone in my car is navigating my phone looking for another song to play the sound will cut out every once in a while. This did happen with my older BMW, the Mercedes loaners I've gotten, or any other device. I've reset my bluetooth settings, they've updated the Command software. They keep trying to tell me its cell phone towers, the glass on my windows, the tint on my windows, etc. Has anyone else had an issue like this and do they know of a resolution? It's been bugging me since I got the car since I stream most of my music from my iPhone.

- Transmission: When backing the car out of my drive way and then putting it in drive and pressing the accelerator the car will kind of surge, like almost making a chugging noise when starting to drive forward. This has been more pronounced at times when the transmission actually makes the entire car jerk back and forth. That has happened at least three times and it's kind of alarming when it happens. It's more pronounced when in sport or sport+

- Transmission Again: When slowing down to around 5-10 miles per hour and then stepping on the accelerator again (normal stop and go traffic stuff) the car kind of jerks into gear. It's not smooth at all.

They have reset the transmission adaptations, but to no avail. I've asked for the transmission software to be updated several times, however the service advisor tends to ignore this request. I've also asked what version of the software the car is running and the SA has told me they have no way of getting a print out of that information for me. Seems bogus to me.

I thought buying a CPO'ed car would mean the systems would have been updated. However, since the command was "really out of date" per what the SA told me when they updated it. It leads me to believe the transmission + ecu software was not updated as well.

Also something interesting happened the other day: I was parallel parking in a spot and the power steering went out. So I was reversing in and the wheel got heavier and heavier until i couldn't move it anymore. I put it in drive and then it came back on.

I've had several other issues with the car: aux battery went out, some valve in one of the suspension parts as well had to be replaced, and some other more minor issues.

I'm in Charlotte, NC. Ive been taking it to Mercedes of Northlake, but this is the fourth time I'm bringing it in. I have pretty much lost faith that they will fix it. Any insight on how to approach the issue with the dealer or on how to resolve is greatly appreciated.
I get the jerking every now and then when I'm dehydrated or wearing sandals it is super random. It is a combination of my shaky foot and the DCT habits. Same thing used to happen with my BMW 335is, the DCT behaves like a manual transmission at times.

What works if your car ever gets in that mood is to switch it out of comfort mode so it doesn't start in second gear. That solved it the few times that it happened. For me it is rare, but atleast that works in the interim so it isn't so annoying.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:52 AM

E63 AMG S
Thanks guys for all your input and research on the issue. I'm waiting to hear back from the dealership today. I've offered to come in and do a test drive with the shop foreman in the morning if that would help diagnose the issue.

As far as software updates for the transmission/ecu. They seem reluctant to do that. They also stated they could not provide any sort of proof of what version(s) my car is running. They said that information is on a machine that cant print out information. I find that kind of hard to believe, but who knows.

I'm pushing them for the wet clutch adaptation, I've mentioned it twice. Hopefully they will attempt that. Fingers crossed i hear some good news today.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:26 AM
Out Of Control!!

Thanks guys for all your input and research on the issue. I'm waiting to hear back from the dealership today. I've offered to come in and do a test drive with the shop foreman in the morning if that would help diagnose the issue.

As far as software updates for the transmission/ecu. They seem reluctant to do that. They also stated they could not provide any sort of proof of what version(s) my car is running. They said that information is on a machine that cant print out information. I find that kind of hard to believe, but who knows.

I'm pushing them for the wet clutch adaptation, I've mentioned it twice. Hopefully they will attempt that. Fingers crossed i hear some good news today.
open a case with mbusa if they won't do the clutch adaptation
Old 08-31-2017, 09:52 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
GLS63 / GONE: '16 GL63 '15 S63 '14 E63 '13 ML550 '10 E63 '09 C63 '07 E63 '00 E55 '99 C43 '84 190E16V
I haven't had any bluetooth issues, but the transmission issues are well known. My 2014 E63s is much better than my 2010 E63 that MBUSA ultimately bought back due to this issue.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:59 AM

E63 AMG S
They didn't do the wet clutch adaptation. They said it was within normal spec. They did update the transmission software. It seems a little bit better so far, however I can't tell if that's just in my head since they said they did the update. They said if I am still having problems after the update to the transmission control unit then they will do the wet clutch adaptation for me.

The bluetooth wouldn't skip for the two songs I played with the SA in the car.

However sure enough this morning, skip skip skip. I'm going to have to bring a second phone in the car to record it or something.

They fixed the door squeak and the broken seatbelt on the car.

I ordered another key since I misplaced my second one: $530 later :'(

I'll report back after driving the car around more to see if the transmission issue is resolved. It seems to respond quicker going from D to R and shifts better at lower speeds. However it could just be relearning my driving habits.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:21 AM
Out Of Control!!

They didn't do the wet clutch adaptation. They said it was within normal spec. They did update the transmission software. It seems a little bit better so far, however I can't tell if that's just in my head since they said they did the update. They said if I am still having problems after the update to the transmission control unit then they will do the wet clutch adaptation for me.

The bluetooth wouldn't skip for the two songs I played with the SA in the car.

However sure enough this morning, skip skip skip. I'm going to have to bring a second phone in the car to record it or something.

They fixed the door squeak and the broken seatbelt on the car.

I ordered another key since I misplaced my second one: $530 later :'(

I'll report back after driving the car around more to see if the transmission issue is resolved. It seems to respond quicker going from D to R and shifts better at lower speeds. However it could just be relearning my driving habits.
does the Bluetooth only skip at certain times or locations? You may have some interference
Old 08-31-2017, 10:48 AM

E63 AMG S
its completely random. No other devices/cars have this issue with my iPhone
Old 08-31-2017, 12:07 PM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Most of them
its completely random. No other devices/cars have this issue with my iPhone
I have a 2010 e63 and my bluetooth does fine.

My transmission has done the same a few times. I did the "adaptation" and it seems much better.

142,000 miles. So i understand your frustration with 13k miles
Old 11-14-2017, 12:53 PM

E63 AMG S
I managed to catch my car doing it on video twice. I sent the videos to my SA, who is out of office so need to get in contact with someone else. They performed the software update a while back and nothing changed in respect to the transmission issue.

They told me that the transmission making a jerking sensation was normal. However I fee like a $100k car shouldn't have this issue. Seems to mainly affect the car the most when it initially starts up. Cold weather/hot weather makes no difference.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:55 PM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Most of them
I managed to catch my car doing it on video twice. I sent the videos to my SA, who is out of office so need to get in contact with someone else. They performed the software update a while back and nothing changed in respect to the transmission issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feq64kmqtRw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgEAW9lolyU

They told me that the transmission making a jerking sensation was normal. However I fee like a $100k car shouldn't have this issue. Seems to mainly affect the car the most when it initially starts up. Cold weather/hot weather makes no difference.

that does not seem normal, but mine has done the same exact thing twice in the past 40k miles. Was on start up, with me immediately pulling away after start up, both from the same location after leaving the car overnight. Other than that it never happens. i have 143,500 miles on the car and just had the valve body/ conductor plate/TCM replaced, it seems to shift better now, but it's only been like 1,000 miles. I park my car in my garage, which takes some maneuvering to get out of and get down the driveway. So usually, i let the car idle for about 3 minutes before leaving, and never have this jerkiness. The only times i have experienced it is leaving the car parked somewhere overnight, and then immediately leaving once the car starts, which strangely enough like i mentioned before, the two times it has happened have been leaving the same house.

My '83 300D acts the same exact way every once in a while until it warms up .... but that's a different animal
Old 11-14-2017, 02:14 PM

E63 AMG S
It's happened before when i've backed out of my garage. Happened in the summer and now in the winter. Just seems to be dependent on being a cold start.

One this i have noticed is the car almost makes a surging noise when i go from reverse to drive and go. it kind of like makes a chugging noise like its "puffing" if that makes sense. I'm not sure my phone would be able to pick up the noise or not. I'll give it a go next time I drive it and see if i can get it on tape.

I have an appointment on Monday at Hendrick to get it looked at. I have 0 faith they will actually fix the car and will tell me its normal like they have every other time.