W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are AMG cars painted by hand or machine at the factory?

Old 10-11-2017, 04:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E63 AMG S
Unhappy Are AMG cars painted by hand or machine at the factory?

Someone kicked my door in for no apparent reason. I did PDR and it didn't get the dent out completely because it's also on the very edge of the door panel where they cannot access.

I don't want to do a paintjob really, because the paint won't be matched exactly. Wondering if it would be exactly like it was when I bought it, if I buy a perfect condition rear door that came from an accident that is from factory the same color as my car? if it's painted by machine, theoretically the color, metallic flakes and orange peel should be the same pattern and color?

Unfortunately, I'm probably going to rewrap my entire car too. Since it's one year old now, swirls and UV has worn out the remainder of the wrap. I can't just redo one panel. There goes 15K I guess. Or buying a new car? BTW: my hobby is detailing cars to new condition, so you can see how I am pretty upset about the loser who kicked my door.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:06 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,320 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
They are machine painted, but different tints are used for batches of cars; when I had my 2014 e550 professionally repaired after an accident they linked my vin to the tint used for that batch of palladium

best move for any color other than black is to have it professionally repaired and blended ... a good shop will leave you quite satisfied with the results; possible black, black metallic or polar white would match just using parts from a wreck

a new door could have a different tint

what color?

Last edited by PeterUbers; 10-11-2017 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:11 PM

E63 AMG S
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
They are machine painted, but different tints are used for batches of cars; when I had my 2014 e550 professionally repaired after an accident they linked my vin to the tint used for that batch of palladium

best move for any color other than black is to have it professionally repaired and blended ... a good shop will leave you quite satisfied with the results; possible black, black metallic or polar white would match just using parts from a wreck

a new door could have a different tint

what color?
I forget, it's either obsidian black or black. So if it's black, would that be a easy fix then? I heard even black has different tints. This is a pretty big bummer right now ugh. Why am I so OCD
Old 10-11-2017, 04:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by speedydriver
I forget, it's either obsidian black or black. So if it's black, would that be a easy fix then? I heard even black has different tints. This is a pretty big bummer right now ugh. Why am I so OCD
obsidian is the metallic and it’ll blend well if repaired and resprayed ...

best match will be non metallic black ... but yes there are tints

easier to tell on bumper re spray than the sheet metal

i feel your pain bro - been there

Last edited by PeterUbers; 10-11-2017 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

Your wrap is gonna cost $15k??? Or you’ll lose $15k in depreciation because you’ll sell it?
Old 10-11-2017, 06:50 PM

E63 AMG S
Your wrap is gonna cost $15k??? Or you’ll lose $15k in depreciation because you’ll sell it?
I'll probably redo the wrap since it's looking old anyway. It's a chrome wrap, which costs around $11K after taxes. +$1K for ceramic coating. +cost for repair, would probably end up around 15K anyway
Old 10-11-2017, 06:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

I'll probably redo the wrap since it's looking old anyway. It's a chrome wrap, which costs around $11K after taxes. +$1K for ceramic coating. +cost for repair, would probably end up around 15K anyway
you have an all chrome e63!? Let’s see pics
Old 10-11-2017, 07:25 PM

E63 AMG S
you have an all chrome e63!? Let’s see pics

It's in black chrome, not full out chrome. just a pic from my iphone so the quality isn't great but eye candy regardless :-)
Old 10-11-2017, 09:16 PM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
c292 gle63S, Range Rover LWB
I've seen you around Bellevue. That's unfortunate someone kicked your car.

If you need a good shop recommendation, let me know. He is in Kirkland.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:52 PM

E63 AMG S
Originally Posted by Anotherone
I've seen you around Bellevue. That's unfortunate someone kicked your car.

If you need a good shop recommendation, let me know. He is in Kirkland.
Body shop or wrap shop? Nice to see other people from WA on here haha :-) If you drive an E63 and you saw me, I probably saw you too. And yeah. it's pretty lame. People around WA area are becoming meaner I feel like.. my friend's i8 got vandalized too. can't have nice things these days..
Old 10-11-2017, 11:12 PM

For your wrap, there is a place called Vital Energy Motorsports that I heard is pretty good.

For body shop, I'll message you his information.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:44 PM

If you drive an E63 and you saw me, I probably saw you too. And yeah. it's pretty lame. People around WA area are becoming meaner I feel like.. my friend's i8 got vandalized too. can't have nice things these days..
I have the white E63-S sedan, I haven't been driving it much lately but you've probably seen it around. Yeah, there are a lot of jealous people, especially during the weekends at night.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:37 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
?
For body shop ANYTHNG BUT Metro Auto Rebuild. I gave them 2 opportunities with 2 different cars, each time they not only did not deliver on time, but the paint was nowhere close and the gaps on the doors were a mess on top of it the door rattled like a can full of coins and they claim that they could not hear anything. They are pretty pathetic.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Astolfo
For body shop ANYTHNG BUT Metro Auto Rebuild. I gave them 2 opportunities with 2 different cars, each time they not only did not deliver on time, but the paint was nowhere close and the gaps on the doors were a mess on top of it the door rattled like a can full of coins and they claim that they could not hear anything. They are pretty pathetic.
Metro used to be good, but they are so swamped with cars from all the dealerships near by they don't care for regular insurance claims. RNR in Bellevue and Metro are owned by the same person and both shops are lacking quality.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts
W212 - E63 AMG
Depending on where the damage is and how big, honestly you shouldn't have a problem. I do my own bodywork.

The bodyshop will pull the dent or fill - whichever gets it true again. then paint the localised area and lacquer over most of the panel to blend it in. You'll be fine man, don't worry. Just take it to a good paint shop and trust that they'll get it right. If I can paint n blend (and I'm a driveway amateur) then a pro can do it no sweat.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:12 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
?
Originally Posted by Anotherone
Metro used to be good, but they are so swamped with cars from all the dealerships near by they don't care for regular insurance claims. RNR in Bellevue and Metro are owned by the same person and both shops are lacking quality.
The fact that are "swamped" is not excuse to screw people's time and property. They have no ethics or sense of human decency. I just had my left femur removed because cancer and when I picked up the car I was literally in a walker but I wanted to do something fun for me. I had to take the car 3 times to them which is a huge pain for me because I live in an island but they did not fixed anything each time I went they had an excuse. Complete a$$Wholes. they promised a detail, the car was full of spots and liquids from an automatic car wash despite them telling me not to take the car through one for 2 months. BTW I never use a car wash in my cars so I know that the morons did it.

Last edited by Astolfo; 10-12-2017 at 08:15 PM.