Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 199 Likes on 138 Posts
2015 E63s AMG, 2020 GLC 43 AMG
Suggestions for Best Dash Cam

Hey Guys,

Something in the air here in the South Bay Area with aholes and crazy drivers lately. I am realizing that a dash camera could one day prove to be invaluable. I started looking at various options online and there a re a number of different ones. My next thinking was that some of you fellow "good drivers" with fast cars likely have already done this.

So any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Old 03-30-2018, 02:17 PM

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
2014 E550, 2015 E63S, 2017 G63 - RIP
I have WheelWitness HD Pro and really happy with it.
Amazon Amazon
Old 03-30-2018, 02:52 PM

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts
2019 GLC 63 SUV, 2013 SLK55
How hard is it to get a wire through the firewall to the fuse box? Is there a grommet available I can reach without taking apart the dash? I run my V1 by tapping into a small wire near ther rearview mirror but I want to add a dashcam also and running both off that small wire seems unwise.
Old 03-31-2018, 01:21 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,142 Likes on 1,500 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by Stereolab42
How hard is it to get a wire through the firewall to the fuse box? Is there a grommet available I can reach without taking apart the dash? I run my V1 by tapping into a small wire near ther rearview mirror but I want to add a dashcam also and running both off that small wire seems unwise.
i would think it's easier to get power from the cig lighter wiring ... or a usb Port in center arm rest
Old 04-01-2018, 10:55 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
None
Originally Posted by Stereolab42
I went through the rear seats to the trunk wiring. I've seen others tap into the power from the near the rear view mirror.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:30 AM

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
'18 E63 Wagon, '14 E63 Wagon, '00 M5
Originally Posted by Vrodman
Hey Guys,

Something in the air here in the South Bay Area with aholes and crazy drivers lately. I am realizing that a dash camera could one day prove to be invaluable. I started looking at various options online and there a re a number of different ones. My next thinking was that some of you fellow "good drivers" with fast cars likely have already done this.

So any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
I'm using a Thinkware F800 Pro that was professionally installed. It is a front and rear camera system that has proved very reliable and has very positive reviews. It edges out the Black Vue which is also a quality system as I understand it.

The F800 syncs with a smartphone as well to review files on the road, before I can get to my computer. It has voice prompts and I find it easy to use. I have the previous generation on my "14 E63 and had great results with that one, so I purchased the current one for my '18 E63.

Don't go cheap! I had a Phillips ADR 810 unit (now 900) that had positive reviews, which seemed to be working, according to the indicator light. But when I checked it just to see if it was working, I found that it hadn't recorded anything for months - without me changing the settings. And it wasn't that cheap either - but I sensed that I couldn't rely on it - and sure enough...

http://www.thinkware.com/Products/Dashcam/F800PRO

Good luck!

Last edited by bluesea; 04-02-2018 at 05:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Vrodman (04-02-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by bluesea
I'm using a Thinkware F800 Pro that was professionally installed. It is a front and rear camera system that has proved very reliable and has very positive reviews. It edges out the Black Vue which is also a quality system as I understand it.

The F800 syncs with a smartphone as well to review files on the road, before I can get to my computer. It has voice prompts and I find it easy to use. I have the previous generation on my "14 E63 and had great results with that one, so I purchased the current one for my '18 E63.

Don't go cheap! I had a Phillips ADR 810 unit (now 900) that had positive reviews, which seemed to be working, according to the indicator light. But when I checked it just to see if it was working, I found that it hadn't recorded anything for months - without me changing the settings. And it wasn't that cheap either - but I sensed that I couldn't rely on it - and sure enough...

http://www.thinkware.com/Products/Dashcam/F800PRO

Good luck!
Thanks a lot.

Can you offer any details about the installation? How much did it run you? Did you just use a stereo shop installer? time it took them? etc.

Thanks Again
Old 04-02-2018, 10:23 PM

Thanks a lot.

Can you offer any details about the installation? How much did it run you? Did you just use a stereo shop installer? time it took them? etc.

Thanks Again
Give me a day or two to take some pictures of my installation. It will be different shots of the two visual pieces (front main unit and rear camera). By the way, it's in my wagon so the rear camera is mounted on a different piece of glass, but it's the same, really.

I'll look to see what the installation cost was, but the two-channel system on Amazon with their branded SD card runs $460. The install only took several hours as I recall. He's a very experienced installer who regularly deals with exotics like Ferrari, etc.

It's a must have, and a small price to pay over time - or even on the day of the install, possibly, driving back home.

You can buy the front camera separately, but it doesn't make sense to only have a front facing camera if you're looking to cover yourself as much as possible from fraudulently claimed liabilities and other assorted liars.
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by bluesea; 04-02-2018 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Give me a day or two to take some pictures of my installation. It will be different shots of the two visual pieces (front main unit and rear camera). By the way, it's in my wagon so the rear camera is mounted on a different piece of glass, but it's the same, really.

I'll look to see what the installation cost was, but the two-channel system on Amazon with their branded SD card runs $460. The install only took several hours as I recall. He's a very experienced installer who regularly deals with exotics like Ferrari, etc.

It's a must have, and a small price to pay over time - or even on the day of the install, possibly, driving back home.

You can buy the front camera separately, but it doesn't make sense to only have a front facing camera if you're looking to cover yourself as much as possible from fraudulently claimed liabilities and other assorted liars.
https://www.amazon.com/Thinkware-2-C.../dp/B075SPLQ1V
Thanks Bluesea,

I look forward to it. I am thinking I will have this done at the same time I have my active LiDAR jamming system put in!! But first, I need to buy my next E63 (1015 or 2016). I am not going to invest any more money in my 2011. Selling that baby soon after buying the new(er) one.

Cheers
Old 04-05-2018, 01:21 AM

Thanks Bluesea,

I look forward to it. I am thinking I will have this done at the same time I have my active LiDAR jamming system put in!! But first, I need to buy my next E63 (1015 or 2016). I am not going to invest any more money in my 2011. Selling that baby soon after buying the new(er) one.

Cheers
Here are pictures of the Thinkware F800 Pro and the older F-770.

Since you will have a W212, I took pictures of the front camera/head unit of the older F-770 because it’s mounted in my W212 on top of the plastic housing that covers the cameras in the windshield. The pictures of the F800 are here to show you and others what this newer unit looks like. The newer unit can be mounted just as the 770 on the W212’s flat housing.

The W213 has a slightly domed and more vented housing, so my F800 was mounted below that housing, on the windshield. I suppose one could still mount it on the housing but it wouldn’t look as clean and I’m not sure if covering the last few vents would have an adverse effect on anything in there, though I doubt it. In spite of how the new unit looks in the angle of the shot, it in no way blocks my view and never notice it.

The rear camera shown is the F800 one. I chose that to upload here since they’re both mounted the same and you can see what the new unit looks like.

Cheers!

F770 mounted in W212

F770

Rear F800 Pro

F800 Pro rear

Hard to see, F770 in W212 from outside.

Last edited by bluesea; 04-05-2018 at 01:25 AM.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks Bluesea,

I like it! Likely going to mimic this.

I am thinking that having that rear camera visible to drivers behind you would likely demotivate them from pulling J*ck*ss stunts?? Have you noticed at all if this works as a deterrence?

Also, don't mean to be a pest, were you able to find any cost info on the install? Somewhat curious. Even a ballpark would be helpful.

Thanks Again
Old 04-06-2018, 05:48 PM

Thanks Bluesea,

I like it! Likely going to mimic this.

I am thinking that having that rear camera visible to drivers behind you would likely demotivate them from pulling J*ck*ss stunts?? Have you noticed at all if this works as a deterrence?

Also, don't mean to be a pest, were you able to find any cost info on the install? Somewhat curious. Even a ballpark would be helpful.

Thanks Again
I have a call in with my installer. I don't think he charged me more than three hours and I guess his rate is around $125 - I'm vague on all of that though and can't find the receipt.

I initially thought about the rear camera compelling a sense of decorum in anyone behind it ( "The power of Camera compels you!" lol ), but I haven't noticed. In fact, I don't notice the camera either. I'll have to check it out now that you brought it up.
The following users liked this post:
Vrodman (05-02-2018)
Old 05-02-2018, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have a call in with my installer. I don't think he charged me more than three hours and I guess his rate is around $125 - I'm vague on all of that though and can't find the receipt.

I initially thought about the rear camera compelling a sense of decorum in anyone behind it ( "The power of Camera compels you!" lol ), but I haven't noticed. In fact, I don't notice the camera either. I'll have to check it out now that you brought it up.
One last question for you:

On the rear camera, how do you work around your rear sunshade? I noticed in this new 2015 I can't even stop thing at partial height. It either goes all the way up or all the way down. I would think it would get in the way or collide with the camera when it goes up.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:49 PM

One last question for you:

On the rear camera, how do you work around your rear sunshade? I noticed in this new 2015 I can't even stop thing at partial height. It either goes all the way up or all the way down. I would think it would get in the way or collide with the camera when it goes up.
I have a wagon so I don't have that issue. The 800 series offers a front camera only package. If it won't clear the screen then maybe you can have a bracket fabricated that can place the camera behind the screen. I'm not sure how it would attach to the trim.

Last edited by bluesea; 05-02-2018 at 04:54 PM.