W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63

WTF - steering column rattle when floored??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2018 | 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
WTF - steering column rattle when floored??

have had a super annoying steering column rattling sound that has increasingly gotten more noticeable...happens ONLY when i floor the car (15 - e63s) going straight, or when i 50% accelerate but turn the wheel to the left.

i confirmed its not my keys rattling, or loose wire, etc. its something within the base of the steering column. car is under warranty.

anyone else experience something as odd and annoying as this??????????
Old 05-11-2018 | 07:54 PM
Out Of Control!!

2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Never had this ... seems like it's reproducible which will make the tech drive with you confirmatory that there is a problem

given that this car has electric steering ... maybe this is a problem with the rack
Old 05-11-2018 | 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E63s AMG, 2020 GLC 43 AMG
Originally Posted by jvakos
have had a super annoying steering column rattling sound that has increasingly gotten more noticeable...happens ONLY when i floor the car (15 - e63s) going straight, or when i 50% accelerate but turn the wheel to the left.

i confirmed its not my keys rattling, or loose wire, etc. its something within the base of the steering column. car is under warranty.

anyone else experience something as odd and annoying as this??????????
not sure if this is related, but when I had my SA run the vin for my 2015 before I bought it, he said the only warranty work done to date by the prior owner was a steering column replacement! I would think that would have been due to something worse than a rattle though.

Let us know when you find out.
Old 05-11-2018 | 09:18 PM

GTR
Originally Posted by jvakos
car is under warranty
1. that problem have been discussed few times. It’s normal for w212. I had same problem. Full front suspension has been replaced and noise appeared again after some time

2. https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...ml#post7153104

3. Your car is under warranty
Old 05-13-2018 | 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Never had this ... seems like it's reproducible which will make the tech drive with you confirmatory that there is a problem

given that this car has electric steering ... maybe this is a problem with the rack
thanks Peter for the suggestion.... definitely repeatable and noticeable so will have them check the rack. winding down the last 5 months of factor warranty and then 1 year of CPO kicks in so want to get these little items addressed asap
Old 05-13-2018 | 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
Originally Posted by Vrodman

not sure if this is related, but when I had my SA run the vin for my 2015 before I bought it, he said the only warranty work done to date by the prior owner was a steering column replacement! I would think that would have been due to something worse than a rattle though.

Let us know when you find out.
Vrodman - really appreciate the feedback!!! Will have them check the steering column as I am NOT looking forward to a out of warranty replacement of that!! Thx
Old 05-13-2018 | 06:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
I had a steering column replacement on my brand new. 2014 e550 4 matin sedan in 2013 when I had it delivered to me in aug 2013 custom ordered... it made a grinding sound and the SM recommended replace the column

the column is all electric and the 63 has the same column essentially ... my guess is something beyond the column under the car

there is a tsb for steering grinding for 2014-2015 I think but this is not a rattle ...
Old 05-30-2018 | 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
Originally Posted by dav461

1. that problem have been discussed few times. It’s normal for w212. I had same problem. Full front suspension has been replaced and noise appeared again after some time

2. https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...ml#post7153104

3. Your car is under warranty
Dav - i saw that thread about "Moaning noise" and thanks for the reference. My steering column rattle is different and emanates well below the dash on the steering column. i thought i had the ODB2 port cover left open that perhaps rattled, but that was not the issue.

Separately i did also have the steering groan you referred to that comes when out door temp are 80+ and the car is warmed up. The slightest turn left or right at low speeds you hear it even turning the wheel 1 inch either direction.

You mentioned you experienced the same noise.... did that occur with any slight turn of the steering wheel in any direction? Biggest concern with either of these if these odd sounds are a precursor to a bigger issue with the steering column, or wheel bearings, or trans mount, differential or what? they did do a warranty repair on my auxiliary transmission pump a year ago which was leaking so not sure if thats a possible source of the issue but i have no clue

with my warranty clock ticking (hence my other thread about warranty expiration and things to check) this is something i need sorted out asap.... taking car to dealer tomorrow and will report back on what they say.