Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 137 Posts
2015 E63s AMG, 2020 GLC 43 AMG
Yet Another Tire Inquiry.

Hey Guys,

My 2015 is about due for tires. It came with P-Zero’s. This is my first time with P-Zeros. They seem pretty decent actually and tire wear and cost are both reasonable. I found the best bang for the buck on my 2011 was actually Conti Extreme Contacts.

Anyway, just wondering if any of you have a strong recommendation on this topic. Keep in mind it’s an AWD and the camber is not as bad on tires as the the slightly older models. My 2011 would literally pass tread depth on the outside while showing cords on the inside.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-21-2018, 10:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by Vrodman
Hey Guys,

My 2015 is about due for tires. It came with P-Zero’s. This is my first time with P-Zeros. They seem pretty decent actually and tire wear and cost are both reasonable. I found the best bang for the buck on my 2011 was actually Conti Extreme Contacts.

Anyway, just wondering if any of you have a strong recommendation on this topic. Keep in mind it’s an AWD and the camber is not as bad on tires as the the slightly older models. My 2011 would literally pass tread depth on the outside while showing cords on the inside.

Thanks in advance!
i went from p zero to Conti dws and love them

no regrets and can drive in snow
Old 07-21-2018, 11:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 E63 S AMG
I hate these P-Zeros; they wear quickly and are not the best out there in terms of performance. I'll be going with Pilot Super Sports when mine wear out
Old 07-22-2018, 12:55 PM

Received 167 Likes on 114 Posts
2016 E63 Wagon
Hey Guys,

Thanks in advance!
Vrodman,

Like many others,, I have been super happy with Super Sports over the years. Excellent dry grip, decent in rain, very quiet and comfortable, never get flatspotted if car sits.
Have also tried Hancooks, decent tire, nice price, but comfort is less than SS.
Pzero is not my style, had one set and switched before they wore out. Flatspotted like crazy. As in days.
Conti Extreme contact we have used both the old (extreme contact DW) and the new (extremecontact sport). the old ones were great in rain, good enough in the dry but got noisy when worn. The new are as good in rain, great in dry, and to new to be noisy yet.

All in - SS remains the benchmark, and the new version is supposedly even better. But pricy.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PeterUbers

i went from p zero to Conti dws and love them

no regrets and can drive in snow
Yep, these are what I have on the 2011. The main thing I noticed when I went from PSS to these was they don't perform quite as well in the wet weather. I presume this is the trade off for better tire wear. I have always been Pilot Sport guy going back to my 2000 E55 (it came with them). They just wear kinda fast and at their price, cost per mile starts getting up there. And with the way I drive it adds up! :-)

With that said, I am leaning toward the PSS's again. Hoping with the way the tires seem to wear differently on the 2015 than the 2011, that it won't be quite as bad. And maybe they improved their wear rate???? Wishful thinking?
Old 07-23-2018, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by FastWgn
Vrodman,

Like many others,, I have been super happy with Super Sports over the years. Excellent dry grip, decent in rain, very quiet and comfortable, never get flatspotted if car sits.
Pzero is not my style, had one set and switched before they wore out. Flatspotted like crazy. As in days.
Conti Extreme contact we have used both the old (extreme contact DW) and the new (extremecontact sport). the old ones were great in rain, good enough in the dry but got noisy when worn. The new are as good in rain, great in dry, and to new to be noisy yet.

All in - SS remains the benchmark, and the new version is supposedly even better. But pricy.
"new version is supposedly even better". HOPE YOU ARE CORRECT SIR! Thanks for the reply. The "new" ones you speak of have a new name by any chance? How would I know I'm not getting 2-year old tires that have been sitting on a shelf?
Old 07-23-2018, 12:02 PM

2016 E63 Wagon
"new version is supposedly even better". HOPE YOU ARE CORRECT SIR! Thanks for the reply. The "new" ones you speak of have a new name by any chance? How would I know I'm not getting 2-year old tires that have been sitting on a shelf?
The new ones are called 4S

Road and track test
The following users liked this post:
Vrodman (07-23-2018)
Old 07-23-2018, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 193 Likes on 152 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
The new ones are called 4S

Road and track test
Tire Rack only lists the front size for the 4S.

The following users liked this post:
FastWgn (08-17-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 Mercedes Benz E63 AMG S 4MATIC, 2015 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn Limited
I had the original Super Sports on my Stingray Z51 and then replaced them to the newer version. The 4S are much better in every aspect and especially in the rain. As for tire wear, I replaced tires every spring. But I drove the car quite hard.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vrodman,

So get this:

I go to Tire Rack and it tells me that the 4S tires are not available for my car because I do not have ceramic brakes. Huh. Is the rubber compound on those that sensitive to slightly higher temps that non-ceramic brakes hit? Or is this just a gaff in the website programming at Tire Rack? When I fill in the filter fields like year, make, model, and such, it does come back and ask which brakes I have. So it seems like it's not a mistake.

But I gotta believe that if I were to track the car hard with ceramic brakes that the tires would still see more heat than I will generate on the road with standard brakes. What am I missing?

Hmmmmmm
Old 08-17-2018, 07:04 PM

2016 E63 Wagon
Ehh - seems to me it's right there?

Tirerack page

Am I missing something? Yes, these are the "old" SS but they still kick *** and these are good prices....

Old 08-17-2018, 07:09 PM

2016 E63 Wagon
Maybe to add - you are 100% right.
Your type of brakes makes zero difference for the tire etc. Only size may be different but in our case that doesn't apply, both cars had same size rims.
BTW - ceramic brakes generate just the same amount of heat as steel discs. They just tolerate much more heat.... Conservation of energy. All speed becomes heat in discs and pads. Unless they make a terrible noise in which case some energy goes into that.

I see the problem, the 4S is not avail in 285/30/19, just 285/35/19. Which is what E55 KEV said above......

That's why.

Last edited by FastWgn; 08-17-2018 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:42 PM

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
I was a Mercedes Benz Tire Advisor for 3 years.

my favorite tire is the conti extreme, absolutely love them. that being said I also love michelin pilot super sports but you cannot go wrong with the extremes and imo the tread pattern is cool.