Sponsored by:

I finally might see a W212 in person...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 05:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BMW 335i, 2015 GTI
I finally might see a W212 in person...

I have yet to see a '14-'16 E63s in person. Saw one on the road a few months ago, that's about it.

I am taking the fam to Chicago after New Years and will be staying Downtown. I did a search for any that might be FS. I found a black on black 2015 at Mancuso Motorsports. As it turns out this is only 8 blocks from the hotel. Fingers crossed it's still there. It's not a candidate for one I would buy but it allows me to finally look at one up close.
I am hoping that it is still there during our stay.

As an aside, I know the difference between a '15 and '16 basically is the Command system and Car Play availability but is it worth say, 4-7k MORE for a 16 vs. 15? Regardless, I am buying one with under 30k and will buy a warranty. Any thoughts?

Todd
Old 12-15-2018, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 137 Posts
2015 E63s AMG, 2020 GLC 43 AMG
Originally Posted by thxrick
I have yet to see a '14-'16 E63s in person. Saw one on the road a few months ago, that's about it.

I am taking the fam to Chicago after New Years and will be staying Downtown. I did a search for any that might be FS. I found a black on black 2015 at Mancuso Motorsports. As it turns out this is only 8 blocks from the hotel. Fingers crossed it's still there. It's not a candidate for one I would buy but it allows me to finally look at one up close.

As an aside, I know the difference between a '15 and '16 basically is the Command system and Car Play availability but is it worth say, 4-7k MORE for a 16 vs. 15? Regardless, I am buying one with under 30k and will buy a warranty. Any thoughts?

Todd
Good luck. My strongest recommendation for you is the following:

Once you find one you like, call up a sevice advisor at your nearest MB dealer and ask them to run the vin to verify it is eligable for a MB extended warranty. I learned the hard way on my 2011 that had 30k miles on it when I bought it. There are some weird conditions that you wouldnt think of that cause mb to not allow the extra warranty. In my case it was because ownership of the car officially had a paper trail where a non MB dealer owned it. In the end I was lucky enough to have found a decent 3rd party warranty. They even covered my bottom end rebuild.

Now I bought my 2015 also with about 30k miles on it (very common due to leasing) from a non MB dealer. However, they never officially transferred title to themselves. So when my SA ran that VIN, it was golden.

Best of luck. Once you have one, you will only regret not getting one sooner!
Old 12-15-2018, 06:07 PM

BMW 335i, 2015 GTI
Originally Posted by Vrodman

Good luck. My strongest recommendation for you is the following:

Once you find one you like, call up a sevice advisor at your nearest MB dealer and ask them to run the vin to verify it is eligable for a MB extended warranty. I learned the hard way on my 2011 that had 30k miles on it when I bought it. There are some weird conditions that you wouldnt think of that cause mb to not allow the extra warranty. In my case it was because ownership of the car officially had a paper trail where a non MB dealer owned it. In the end I was lucky enough to have found a decent 3rd party warranty. They even covered my bottom end rebuild.

Now I bought my 2015 also with about 30k miles on it (very common due to leasing) from a non MB dealer. However, they never officially transferred title to themselves. So when my SA ran that VIN, it was golden.

Best of luck. Once you have one, you will only regret not getting one sooner!
Thanks for thew advice.Much appreciated! That is kind of odd. I am going to see if I can find a CPO or/and at a Mercedes dealer but we'll see.

Funny thing, I bought a 2007 911 C2s at a Mercedes dealer a few years ago. The car was 10 years old but they offered me a platinum, after-market warranty for approx. 5k I jumped on it and ended up using it for some big $$ issues, no problem on coverage. Would figure someone would offer at least a "decent" after market product..Fidelity or someone with a good rep.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:20 PM

BMW 335i, 2015 GTI
So, Vrodman...did you purchase the warranty from your local dealer? A Separate cash deal?
Old 12-15-2018, 07:03 PM

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts
2016 E63 Wagon
That's how it works - a dealer can certify any car they want to , as long as they want to (within some rational boundaries of course).
Generally - if you take a car that is not from their inventory, you have less ability to negotiate the price of the warranty, but that's OK, you are still making a good deal.
The following users liked this post:
thxrick (12-15-2018)
Old 12-15-2018, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So, Vrodman...did you purchase the warranty from your local dealer? A Separate cash deal?
I did a lot of research and checking and ended up going with the warranty company my credit union was using. It seemed safer considering that if people finance their cars through the CU, it would be a real problem for the CU if the company was a fraud. People with repair costs that would be denied and leave the owner unable to repair the car could potentially just default and walk away from the car.

The company name was Members Choice. I believe they have since been aquired by someone else and now have a different name. But in the end they paid out about $30k total for a warranty I paid $4k for !

Does this help?
Old 12-15-2018, 09:01 PM

BMW 335i, 2015 GTI

I did a lot of research and checking and ended up going with the warranty company my credit union was using. It seemed safer considering that if people finance their cars through the CU, it would be a real problem for the CU if the company was a fraud. People with repair costs that would be denied and leave the owner unable to repair the car could potentially just default and walk away from the car.

The company name was Members Choice. I believe they have since been aquired by someone else and now have a different name. But in the end they paid out about $30k total for a warranty I paid $4k for !

Does this help?
It helps a lot! Same deal here. I will probably finance 30k of a 65k car. Will use a CU but will be open to what MB has for options. The CU I have used in the past, PenFed CU, has blocks on certain makes and models so we'll see.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:17 PM

BMW 335i, 2015 GTI
It helps a lot! Same deal here. I will probably finance 30k of a 65k car. Will use a CU but will be open to what MB has for options. The CU I have used in the past, PenFed CU, has blocks on certain makes and models so we'll see.
No go, here...LOL NO AMG vehicles.

Also, my wife has a Q7. Warranty is done 12/19...warranty was 8k at my CU. No dice here....getting her a new car.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This thread seems to be infected with some type of bs spam. It just hijacked my reply. And it was lost. I will try to repost it at a later time. GD infuriating.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:12 PM

BMW 335i, 2015 GTI
That, above is a clip from my CU's warranty site....

I posted it.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts
E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
I bought my 2015 E63S with 12k miles from Motorwerks Chicago Mercedes (north of the city) as a CPO and then 18 months later added on a 2 year extended CPO Warranty for $3600 which I bought from a different dealer who had a much better price. the dealer i bought the car from quoted over $5k fo the 2 year CPO extended warranty, but several on these boards recommended contacting a few other dealer sales people who are known for providing extended warranty quotes with better prices so I ended up getting mine from this gal at a Milwaukee MB dealer. you can email her the vin of the car your considering and she'll quote you what the extended warranty will cost.

Cassandra Castro <ccastro@iamilwaukee.com>
Cassandra
414-543-3000 ext 115

Old 12-16-2018, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06

Todd
Todd - many of the 2015's are nearly out of factory warranty so you'll probably get better deals on those vs 2016 which should have 1 year or more factory warranty left. I would opt for a CPO model if you can find one as then you can purchase the MB extended from any dealer. otherwise you can purchase a 3rd party warranty which is probably fine to do.

i have a 2015 and love the car and am fine without the updated Command and lack of CarPlay, but those would have been cool to have now that i've seen them in the 2016 models.

I live downtown Chicago and keep mine garaged during our current snow and cold season - but if its dry out when you get to chicago maybe i'll take it out and meet ya so you can see in person
Old 12-16-2018, 02:09 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,076 Likes on 1,449 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
i think he got warranty coverage through his credit union
Old 12-17-2018, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Also, my wife has a Q7. Warranty is done 12/19...warranty was 8k at my CU. No dice here....getting her a new car.
So I replied to this over the weekend and as I mentioned above, I kept getting this really annoying spam bs. It would popup right when I wanted to preview or submit. It would lock the screen. If you hit OK, it sends you to their bs site. If you hit cancel, it sends you to their bs site. So my only choice was to reload the page and lose the post. This was only happening on my iPad though and it only seemed to be happening on this thread. I since downloaded the latest OS from Apple and the issue seems to have gone away. I will rewrite the lost post in a few as I believe it is of value to others. Here is the nonsense:

Old 12-17-2018, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That sucks. The company I used might have dropped AMG's too after what they paid out on mine. Third party warranties are really a last resort. That is why I made sure I could get the MB warranty before I bought my 2015.

Also, it should be known that all warranty repairs are not handled the same way. I was told by service advisor when I spun the rod bearing on my 2011 that if I had the MB warranty instead of the third party warranty, they likely would have simply replaced the short block at minimum and possibly the long block. But at $52k for a M156 long block, Members Choice said H*LL NO! So instead they paid $19k for a new crank and all new bearings.

My best advice to you is to just take your time. Don't get locked into any single option emotionally, and verify you can get the MB warranty with a MB SA.

Good Luck.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:45 PM

BMW 335i, 2015 GTI
That sucks. The company I used might have dropped AMG's too after what they paid out on mine. Third party warranties are really a last resort. That is why I made sure I could get the MB warranty before I bought my 2015.

Also, it should be known that all warranty repairs are not handled the same way. I was told by service advisor when I spun the rod bearing on my 2011 that if I had the MB warranty instead of the third party warranty, they likely would have simply replaced the short block at minimum and possibly the long block. But at $52k for a M156 long block, Members Choice said H*LL NO! So instead they paid $19k for a new crank and all new bearings.

My best advice to you is to just take your time. Don't get locked into any single option emotionally, and verify you can get the MB warranty with a MB SA.

Good Luck.
much thanks! People have provided a lot of great advice. I’m gonna use it and get the best I can for my $$.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:46 PM

BMW 335i, 2015 GTI
Originally Posted by jvakos
Todd - many of the 2015's are nearly out of factory warranty so you'll probably get better deals on those vs 2016 which should have 1 year or more factory warranty left. I would opt for a CPO model if you can find one as then you can purchase the MB extended from any dealer. otherwise you can purchase a 3rd party warranty which is probably fine to do.

i have a 2015 and love the car and am fine without the updated Command and lack of CarPlay, but those would have been cool to have now that i've seen them in the 2016 models.

I live downtown Chicago and keep mine garaged during our current snow and cold season - but if its dry out when you get to chicago maybe i'll take it out and meet ya so you can see in person
That would be awesome. We’re there for a only 3 days. We’ll see how the weather is too. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06

Good Luck.
Vrod - you bring up a very interesting point on third-party extended warranty versus Mercedes Benz extended warranty and how warranty work would be viewed in either scenario. Do you think the Mercedes extended warranty is more restrictive since it’s coming from Mercedes and they’re going to be scrutinizing the claim with the dealer who of course doesn’t want to **** off Mercedes corporate? The dealer probably doesn’t care at all about sticking it to a third-party warranty company and, I assume, would push to get as much warranty billable claim in that perhaps mb extended would deny (ex: scrutinizing engine damage due to possible tune )
Old 12-17-2018, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jvakos

Vrod - you bring up a very interesting point on third-party extended warranty versus Mercedes Benz extended warranty and how warranty work would be viewed in either scenario. Do you think the Mercedes extended warranty is more restrictive since it’s coming from Mercedes and they’re going to be scrutinizing the claim with the dealer who of course doesn’t want to **** off Mercedes corporate? The dealer probably doesn’t care at all about sticking it to a third-party warranty company and, I assume, would push to get as much warranty billable claim in that perhaps mb extended would deny (ex: scrutinizing engine damage due to possible tune )
Hey J,

Not sure I can fully answer your question here, but I can give you a somewhat higher level answer. According to my SA (that I have had for over 20 years btw), The MB extended warranty is always a better option for the car owner. Third party companies will always look to cut corners and used re-manufactured parts or other cost saving methods. He told me SEVERAL times when I went through the bottom end rebuild for the 2011 that if I had their extended warranty they would have either replaced the small block or the long block entirely and not fiddled around with rebuilding it themselves. Based on this, I believe that if I were into my extended warranty instead of the factory warranty on my 2015, they would have handled everything the exact same (an all new motor). Also, keep in mind, this poor guy (my SA) spent countless hours of headache on the phone, meeting with reps, and writing emails to the third party company to get the job done. His job would have been MUCH easier if he were dealing only with Germany.

Not sure this is the answer you were looking for. But hopefully it is of some use. LOL

Cheers
The following users liked this post:
thxrick (12-17-2018)
Old 01-05-2019, 07:54 PM

BMW 335i, 2015 GTI
So we just got back from Chicago. No dice on seeing a W212. The closest one was at Ultimo Motors in Northbrook. Wasn't worth a $70 round trip Uber ride. I DID though, see a 2019 w213. My daughter and I were walking back from Michigan Ave. and saw a black W213 with the hazard lights on in front of a restaurant. The valet was in it. We chatted and man, it sounded awesome. The owner (a female) told him it was FAST. No kidding!

In listed my BMW FS today....kind of makes me sad but another step closer to getting my W212!

Also saw a mint, 2006 CL65 in black....what a great car. I would love to have one but the maintenance,....ugh. Would make my Porsche look like Honda Accord.