Sponsored by:

Potential buyer advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 07:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E90 M3
Potential buyer advice

The time has come to get serious about finding the right E63 wagon. I’ve gone and looked at a few E63s, one wagon and two sedans. My question is rust! The wagon spent a good part of its life in the north where salt is prevalent but had no visible rust, specifically the emblem on the engine cover. Conversely a sedan that spent its life in southern Georgia had a rusty engine emblem. With a few wagons I haven’t seen in person but looked at their pictures online, they have visible rusty emblems on the engine covers. Now, I have a hard time believing a 2015 with 28k miles would have rust issues but since I’m unfamiliar with this chassis I’m seeking advice. Is the emblem not coated making it more susceptible to rust or are these showing concerns for other rust throughout the car? Anyone have a rusty engine emblem? I know I’m nitpicking but if I’m spending $60k+ on a car I don’t want to see a ounce of rust. I also realize the engine cover can be replaced. Or am I being a little b***h about it and shouldn’t have anything to worry about? I’m coming from an E90 M3 and when I was shopping those I looked at a few from NJ, Michigan and they had zero signs of any rust so I’d expect the same with Benz. Any insight?
Old 02-12-2019, 01:22 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
E63 AMG S Wagon
Can't help you with the rust question (fortunately a Cali car, 1 owner), but I also jumped from my modded e90 M3 to a 14 E63S Wagon you are in for a treat. Best decision I ever made. Just move quick when you see the right one.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:38 PM

2011 E90 M3
Originally Posted by R5169
Can't help you with the rust question (fortunately a Cali car, 1 owner), but I also jumped from my modded e90 M3 to a 14 E63S Wagon you are in for a treat. Best decision I ever made. Just move quick when you see the right one.
IVe realized this as Ive been browsing. My E90 is under deposit and guy seems a lot more serious than other buyers. As Im shopping there are a few that have my eye Im just hesitant with seeing anything rusty. Just weird as theres even a Cali car with rusty emblem. Picture #26 on this one. Carfax been a Cali car its whole life and seems very clean. Makes me believe maybe the emblems aren't coated or an abrasive cleaner was once used on them.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing
Old 02-12-2019, 01:49 PM

E63 AMG S Wagon
Originally Posted by enve46
IVe realized this as Ive been browsing. My E90 is under deposit and guy seems a lot more serious than other buyers. As Im shopping there are a few that have my eye Im just hesitant with seeing anything rusty. Just weird as theres even a Cali car with rusty emblem. Picture #26 on this one. Carfax been a Cali car its whole life and seems very clean. Makes me believe maybe the emblems aren't coated or an abrasive cleaner was once used on them.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing
Weird, you've got me curious - I'll check mine at lunch and see if there's any signs as well.

The following users liked this post:
enve46 (02-12-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 137 Posts
2015 E63s AMG, 2020 GLC 43 AMG
Your concern of a rusted engine signature placard is very strange to me. I can tell you that these placards are silk screened aluminum for a fact. I had to transfer my first one from my stock engine cover to my new carbon fiber cover. I also was given a new 2nd placard with my recent engine replacement. These plates are not iron based metal. Aluminum. Aluminum does not rust.

I suspect any discoloration you saw was more likely the result of a messy service or something where antifreeze or something got on it.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Of course I am assuming you meant the placard and not the star. The star is chrome plated and I doubt it could possibly rust.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:35 PM

2011 E90 M3
Originally Posted by Vrodman
Your concern of a rusted engine signature placard is very strange to me. I can tell you that these placards are silk screened aluminum for a fact. I had to transfer my first one from my stock engine cover to my new carbon fiber cover. I also was given a new 2nd placard with my recent engine replacement. These plates are not iron based metal. Aluminum. Aluminum does not rust.

I suspect any discoloration you saw was more likely the result of a messy service or something where antifreeze or something got on it.

Hope this helps.
Of course I am assuming you meant the placard and not the star. The star is chrome plated and I doubt it could possibly rust.
I know it sounds silly and should hardly be something of concern, Im just an overly OCD idiot. Im referring to the stat itself not the placard. If you look at the car posted above in pic 26 you can see the start being rusted. If its just the nature of someone using aggressive cleaners or something that caused the coating to fail and rust, then Im ok with knowing that. If its a sign of other issues, Id like to know what exactly to look for as far as rust is concerned. Again, I realize Im splitting hairs here. Im just trying to be made aware of any and all issues I can before making a purchase.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

OK,

I pulled up your picture and did some zoom editing. What I see here is NOT reflective of an ambient environment causing rust. Notice how it is sort of round in shape and only in 1 of the three sectors? I believe there are 1 or 2 hoses under this area of the star. Perhaps one of them sprung a small leak at some point. The water pump is also roughly straight down from this location. With all of that said, it could also be as simple as someone using the wrong methods or products to detail it. I can't get enough resolution from the zoom to be certain. It almost looks like it could be residue from a Scotchbright (steel wool type stuff) pad that could be blown off.

Call the dealer and point to this pic and ask them to see if it simply wipes clean.

Good luck. Here is your star close up:

The following 2 users liked this post by Vrodman:
enve46 (02-12-2019), jvakos (02-15-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 07:48 PM

2011 E90 M3
OK,

I pulled up your picture and did some zoom editing. What I see here is NOT reflective of an ambient environment causing rust. Notice how it is sort of round in shape and only in 1 of the three sectors? I believe there are 1 or 2 hoses under this area of the star. Perhaps one of them sprung a small leak at some point. The water pump is also roughly straight down from this location. With all of that said, it could also be as simple as someone using the wrong methods or products to detail it. I can't get enough resolution from the zoom to be certain. It almost looks like it could be residue from a Scotchbright (steel wool type stuff) pad that could be blown off.

Call the dealer and point to this pic and ask them to see if it simply wipes clean.

Good luck. Here is your star close up:

Thank you. Weird thing is, there are a few others out there with similar spots in the same fashion. One is from Ontario, obviously if it is rust I wouldn't be surprised. This one being from Cali, is a surprise. Im leaning towards the cleaning habits or solutions people use to clean an engine bay. Common theme I see is people using non diluted APC or aggressive cleaners on an engine bay when its simply not needed. Ill request more pics if I get serious on one of these cars. Not going to annoy the dealer when Im unsure Im wanting one of them or to hold out for the exact color combo I want
Old 02-14-2019, 12:15 AM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
2020 GLC63
Originally Posted by R5169
+1. It took me nine months to find the right one. This ones better than my e46 M3 and my e39 M5. Once you drive one you’ll never look back. The “right ones” never last long.
enve46 (02-14-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 02:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,076 Likes on 1,449 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by goodmaj

+1. It took me nine months to find the right one. This ones better than my e46 M3 and my e39 M5. Once you drive one you’ll never look back. The “right ones” never last long.
the e46 and e39 are two of the best M models of all time ... that's a great compliment
amgboy916 (02-14-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 05:26 PM

2011 E90 M3
Originally Posted by PeterUbers

the e46 and e39 are two of the best M models of all time ... that's a great compliment
Originally Posted by goodmaj

EXTREMELY encouraging to hear this! I love my E90 M3 and previously E46 M3 and its made me very hesitant to switching to Benz. But, it seems the W212 has caught A LOT of previous BMW owners. The current Ms minus the F90 M5, just don't do it for me. Im really happy to hear someone who's owned similar M cars is as happy as you are.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:31 PM

E63 AMG S Wagon
EXTREMELY encouraging to hear this! I love my E90 M3 and previously E46 M3 and its made me very hesitant to switching to Benz. But, it seems the W212 has caught A LOT of previous BMW owners. The current Ms minus the F90 M5, just don't do it for me. Im really happy to hear someone who's owned similar M cars is as happy as you are.
You'll miss the sound of that S65, I do, daily... However as good as it sounds the Benz is a better package. Plus it's awesome to finally have some torque, about triple the amount...

FYI - checked my car, no marking or color change on the emblem in the engine bay.
enve46 (02-14-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 05:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 E63 Estate, 2008 S4 Avant, 2000 BMW Mcoupe, 1994 Audi S4
You will not regret an E63 Wagon. Took me a year to find mine, but as a former owner of an E46 M3 and current owner of Supercharged MCoupe, and Audi S4 Avant, I can say the E63 is the best all around package, particularly in the wagon body. Having purchased mine in November, I just can't wait for spring to hit us here in Maine so I can drive with the windows down to really hear the glorious W212 sounds. Agree with the others that it pays to be ready to jump once you find the right example. Good luck in your search!
enve46 (02-14-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 11:40 PM

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts
E90 M3
Another former E46 and E90 owner, with over 120k miles between them. Still have great memories of both but the S212 is on a completely different level. Shocking speed when you get on it, just effortlessly eats miles. As for the sound, I had an Akra Evo full system on the E90 and was convinced it couldn't get any better. I have to say each time I fire up the wagon it's just nuts even all stock. It's honestly one of the biggest reasons why I got it, just perfect clearings it's throat each morning, commanding attention. I never thought I'd be an MB guy but have been very happy w it. Moving on to something else soon and will miss it!
Old 02-15-2019, 05:52 AM

2011 E90 M3
Originally Posted by signes
Another former E46 and E90 owner, with over 120k miles between them. Still have great memories of both but the S212 is on a completely different level. Shocking speed when you get on it, just effortlessly eats miles. As for the sound, I had an Akra Evo full system on the E90 and was convinced it couldn't get any better. I have to say each time I fire up the wagon it's just nuts even all stock. It's honestly one of the biggest reasons why I got it, just perfect clearings it's throat each morning, commanding attention. I never thought I'd be an MB guy but have been very happy w it. Moving on to something else soon and will miss it!
It is one thing I absolutely love about the S65. After a long day, turning the car on, radio off and letting it sing is my therapy. Instantly puts a smile on my face. But it’s also what has me so turned on for the E63. I realize it’s not a high revving V8 but the bark and presence it demands is just amazing. Reading so many reviews has me even more excited. When you love a chassis like the E90 so much, I feel hesistant leaving it but you guys are putting that at bay. The E90 is great but with a baby on the way and a wife who really doesn’t want an suv a wagon is the perfect trade off to me. Plus who doesn’t love a 600 hp wagon?!
Old 02-15-2019, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It is one thing I absolutely love about the S65. After a long day, turning the car on, radio off and letting it sing is my therapy. Instantly puts a smile on my face. But it’s also what has me so turned on for the E63. I realize it’s not a high revving V8 but the bark and presence it demands is just amazing. Reading so many reviews has me even more excited. When you love a chassis like the E90 so much, I feel hesistant leaving it but you guys are putting that at bay. The E90 is great but with a baby on the way and a wife who really doesn’t want an suv a wagon is the perfect trade off to me. Plus who doesn’t love a 600 hp wagon?!
Yeah, because you know, BABY has to get to preschool ON TIME!!!
enve46 (02-15-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 08:57 AM

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts
2016 E63 Wagon
Yeah, because you know, BABY has to get to preschool ON TIME!!!
Get there early, make donuts in parking lot.....
enve46 (02-17-2019)