W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63

ECU Tune - Is running rich better?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2019 | 03:11 AM

2014 E63
ECU Tune - Is running rich better?

Hi guys!

I have a 14' E63s and currently working on removing the cats and resonator. Resonator is gone already (and wow big difference sound wise relative to the required time and effort, its like installing an stereo amplifier for the engine/exhaust)
Anyway, cat is going away soon, all i was looking for is those turbo sound. Since everybody knows when the cats are gone, CEL will come off, so i need a tune soon after!

I am a complete newbie in tunes and hope i could use some of your advise!

I only get Chevron 94 octane here in Vancouver BC and most say Shell 91 is even better...and imo, the 94 still gave the car a tiny bit more power when i full throttle it....anyway the 94 is prob not a really good 94 anyway? (i have no idea...)
SO my question is:

Should i go for a less aggressive tune like a 91 octane or just go for the full on 94 bigger tune? If i go for the 91 tune and actually use 94, some say its actually better to run rich and would get more power out of it?
*** been looking at Renntech and DME just because i could do it in the garage with the OBD and not need to send the ECU out

Thanks and hope someone could provide some insights!
Old 08-16-2019 | 03:30 AM

2014 E550 4MATIC TUNED - Turbo Upgraded Stage 3
Originally Posted by Kkpm
Hi guys!

I have a 14' E63s and currently working on removing the cats and resonator. Resonator is gone already (and wow big difference sound wise relative to the required time and effort, its like installing an stereo amplifier for the engine/exhaust)
Anyway, cat is going away soon, all i was looking for is those turbo sound. Since everybody knows when the cats are gone, CEL will come off, so i need a tune soon after!

I only get Chevron 94 octane here in Vancouver BC and most say Shell 91 is even better...and imo, the 94 still gave the car a tiny bit more power when i full throttle it....anyway the 94 is prob not a really good 94 anyway? (i have no idea...)
SO my question is:

Should i go for a less aggressive tune like a 91 octane or just go for the full on 94 bigger tune? If i go for the 91 tune and actually use 94, some say its actually better to run rich and would get more power out of it?
*** been looking at Renntech and DME just because i could do it in the garage with the OBD and not need to send the ECU out

I would run Shell 91 nitro...less knock
BC fuel sux *** for real.
If you are doing the tune from States, tell them to tune with Cali 91oct.

Recently, Chevron 94 its been pretty good. Car felt smoother.

btw, i bet your warranty is up ah ?

Last edited by cocobeex; 08-16-2019 at 03:35 AM.
Old 08-16-2019 | 08:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Not sure how running higher octane would cause it to run rich. Should be the same air/fuel ratio. The only difference is the 94 will be more resistant to knock.
Old 08-16-2019 | 08:28 AM

2014 E63s 1993 mazda rx7 on Boost
CEL - Tuning will turn off the CEL but it will not pass inspection

In Ontario, same in NYS if you have no CEL but the system is in NO READY mode you fail even if the CEL Is off. All monitors need to be set to pass NYS inspection and same for Ontario not sure about BC. Might want to look into that before cat removal or update your inspection before removing.
Old 08-16-2019 | 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by sunil517
In Ontario, same in NYS if you have no CEL but the system is in NO READY mode you fail even if the CEL Is off. All monitors need to be set to pass NYS inspection and same for Ontario not sure about BC. Might want to look into that before cat removal or update your inspection before removing.
In Vancouver, B.C., Since last year Sept, cops are handing out VI like candies.
If your Vehicle is loud or low, these for sure will get VI.

There are some stock cars even got VI.
Its just ridiculous.
Old 08-16-2019 | 02:17 PM

2014 E63
i have extended warranty, so a reliable tune without being too aggressive should be good to go?

yea i have been trying different fuel from chevron 94 to esso and shell 91, agree to 94 felt smoother, to me, the 94 actually felt a bit more powerful too!

which tune did you go with?
Old 08-16-2019 | 02:18 PM

2014 E63
that's what i heard from some local shop, have a 91 tune and run better gasoline, and result would actually be more efficient and power...
Old 08-16-2019 | 02:20 PM

2014 E63
there's no more inspection for us in BC anymore (lucky us) so the CEL or pollution isn't a concern
on the other side, i don't care as much with the CEL light itself, but would prob wanna get a tune in to get everything go smoother!
Old 08-16-2019 | 02:38 PM

i have extended warranty, so a reliable tune without being too aggressive should be good to go?

yea i have been trying different fuel from chevron 94 to esso and shell 91, agree to 94 felt smoother, to me, the 94 actually felt a bit more powerful too!

which tune did you go with?
My tuner was a former Renntech tuner in Miami Florida.
Mine is a custom tune. As my car is an E550 with Turbo upgrades, Down Pipe...etc.

For you, i would go with Renntech, Weistec, AMS, or Eurocharged. As one of my buddy's 2014 E63S just got blown turbo after a Vancouver Local tune.
Btw, once you tune it, Warranty will be void in B.C. Vancouver. Dealership will flag you right the way. I have been there. Be warned.

that's what i heard from some local shop, have a 91 tune and run better gasoline, and result would actually be more efficient and power...
Which shop recommend it ? Speed Syndicate ? Racing Greed ?

there's no more inspection for us in BC anymore (lucky us) so the CEL or pollution isn't a concern
on the other side, i don't care as much with the CEL light itself, but would prob wanna get a tune in to get everything go smoother!
BC has no AirCare for many years. But what you gotta watch out is the cops.

Last edited by cocobeex; 08-16-2019 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-16-2019 | 02:44 PM

2014 E63
any experience with DME? ARmotorwerks recommended DME when i reached out to them for their FI downpipes

Its a shop in richmond partly a friend of mine, and some other guys at the car meet mentioned something similar

yea cops been catching lots of speeding lately too, i thought it was quiet down for a bit for speeding when they focused on the handheld device ticket
Old 08-16-2019 | 02:57 PM

any experience with DME? ARmotorwerks recommended DME when i reached out to them for their FI downpipes

Its a shop in richmond partly a friend of mine, and some other guys at the car meet mentioned something similar

yea cops been catching lots of speeding lately too, i thought it was quiet down for a bit for speeding when they focused on the handheld device ticket
I have heard DME before.
But no experience on their E63s tune.
Also, I do want to get FI EXHAUST too!! So far, I'm on weistec.

Shop in Richmond, SR auto, Garage five, Euroselect, and Drive hard.

Which car meet you go to ? VMS ?
We have Vancouver Mercedes group on IG

Last edited by cocobeex; 08-16-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-16-2019 | 03:01 PM

2014 E63
Originally Posted by cocobeex
I have heard DME before.
But no experience on their E63s tune.

Shop in Richmond, SR auto, Garage five, Euroselect, and Drive hard.

Which car meet you go to ?
We have Vancouver Mercedes group on IG

cool! i shall check out the IG. I rarely go out nowadays
Old 08-16-2019 | 03:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...-w212-amg.html
Old 08-16-2019 | 03:33 PM

2014 E63

Thanks for sharing! YES, the thread is super helpful!
Old 08-17-2019 | 01:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63s AMG
Hi guys!

SO my question is:

Once you delete the resonator and exhaust, you will hear the turbo spool and hiss a bit. And your pops will be louder and more too.
Old 08-17-2019 | 01:54 AM

2014 E63
Yes!!! Turbo spool!!! Not sure if I will like the pop tho! It’s sexy but it’s also my dd... lolI’m keeping the rear muffler.