W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E63S purchase help/warranty concerns etc.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 04:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 E350
E63S purchase help/warranty concerns etc.

Yes, I searched.

Looking to purchase a 2016-2014 E63S but I have warranty concerns.

I have found several cars at indie dealers but those won't qualify for MB warranty.

I found a few CPO cars but man, I'm really shocked at the crappy quality of CPO cars. Dents, scratches, accident damage unrepaired, frankly ridiculous.

So, to my question, some of these indie dealers have way better quality cars, but not eligible for MB elw. Are there any realistic warranty options for a used E63S? Realistic in terms of coverage and actually getting what I paid for should something major go wrong.

I'm looking for time, not mileage, so I'd like to get a car and have 5 years of warranty and have a warranty (protection plan) that's is reliable and trustworthy. I don't drive much so mileage isn't an issue, but I'd like to keep the car 5+ years without major $$$ concerns.

Any positive help or advice is appreciated.

Last edited by BRGR TME; 10-27-2019 at 05:00 PM.
Old 10-27-2019, 05:21 PM

2008 E350
Deleted

Last edited by BRGR TME; 10-27-2019 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-27-2019, 05:28 PM

2008 E350

Example:

CPO at Simonson ( Mercedes Santa Monica, a Sonic Group dealer).

Listed at $57k

1. Rear tow plug/cap missing.

2. Rear end damage, hard to see in pic but upon personal inspection, those 3 dents were significant... One was at least 0.5" pushed in. Basically that piece should be replaced.

3. Front end was repaired poorly, hood misalignment and chipping grille paint. The hood was protruding at least 1/4" more than the grille bezel. The grille itself was chipping and very poor repair.

This thing was in terrible condition for a dealer with "no haggle" pricing and a car that's supposed to be CPO and in excellent condition

Do people still take care of their cars?

There is no way I would buy this type of condition vehicle just to be able to have CPO status and extend the MB warranty. I walked out and drove an hour back home. Point is, seems like I'd be better off buying the independent car and getting an aftermarket warranty but I'm concerned about those coverages.

Last edited by BRGR TME; 10-27-2019 at 05:54 PM.
Old 10-27-2019, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
2011 E63, 2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 v8, 2013 GMC Denali XL, 1965 Ford Mustang, 2005 Merc. E500
Keep looking until you find the ONE. I looked for months for mine 5 years ago and found it: one owner, no accidents, only a little over 50k miles, no scratches or dings and like new inside, still smelled new.
Old 10-27-2019, 05:41 PM

2008 E350
But what about the warranty?

Do you get an aftermarket protection plan? What is your review of the plan? Have you used it?
Old 10-27-2019, 06:09 PM

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts
C63 W204 / E63S W212 / E63S W212
If you want total peace of mind, your best bet is to find a CPO and buy +2 yr extension. My friend bought a E63 from a 3rd party dealer with an aftermarket warranty (5k usd). Even though they covered a Dif/Trans rebuild, they did not cover when his engine went out, since the cost of repair surpassed the cost of the whole car. Had it been a CPO car, new engine no questions.
Old 10-27-2019, 07:30 PM

2008 E350
That was my thinking. But the dealers are super shady around here. They tell me on the phone that the car is in excellent condition, then when I get there, dings and scratches, broken bits and trim pieces or completely missing parts, seriously bad.

Then they have the ***** to say the car is priced fairly for the market etc., no haggle, whatever. I just walk out. One car still had dog fur in it. They didn't even bother to wash the damn thing. I'm not very confident in CPO at this stage.

I've wasted more time than I care to admit looking for an e63. I'm really disappointed today.

I'm really just trying to get a consensus on MB versus aftermarket. I've waited years to buy the right car but it just isn't happening and at this point, I'm considering going without a MB warranty because the dealers and/or CPO quality seem so bad.

Of course they are horrible stories either way, but in general, would going aftermarket really be so terrible?
Old 10-27-2019, 07:56 PM

2008 E350
Maybe a recommendation for a dealer in the Los Angeles area?

I'm looking for a 2016 E63S preferably red, but I'll take anything at this point. Latest in service date as possible. I'm thinking inventory should start appearing 3 years later with lease returns. So now should be a good time?

For reference, I got my 08 E350 with 16k on it as a 4 yr lease return. I opted out of the warranty on that one for two reasons, it's a lower end car and it had so low miles. It's now at 79k and had been super reliable.

I'd love to find a '16 with under 20k on it.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:26 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,405 Likes on 2,848 Posts
2012 CLS63
FWIW: I got an extended warranty for my CLS back in 2016......for three years......never used it once.....most recently I had some issues that resulted in repairs out of pocket.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:01 PM

Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts
2016 E63s
I just purchased a 2016 last week. Searched nationally for about 30 days using the MBUSA site, found one in Chicago that checked a lot of boxes. Since I was going to buy sight unseen I was quite nervous about the little dings and dents, so I asked the dealer to send copious amounts of pictures and videos until I was satisfied there were no major defects. Worked out well and had it shipped.

Don’t give up the search, the unicorns are out there.

Also there is a MB CPO internal guide for dealers floating out there on the internet. Good read if you’re looking to understand how a dealer determines a CPO designation. They basically have to fix or replace everything short of minor cosmetic items and normal wear/tear so the deficiencies you’re finding probably need to be re-done. If you find a car you like, point out the shortcomings and you might be surprised what they fix... they might actually appreciate the feedback, they want the car off the lot quickly.

I had a 3rd party warranty for my E550 but never had to make a claim. All my claims were within the CPO warranty period and of course I got the Heisman every time I brought it in.

good luck!
Old 10-27-2019, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
2011 E63, 2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 v8, 2013 GMC Denali XL, 1965 Ford Mustang, 2005 Merc. E500
As I stated before, keep looking. Be patient. What about expanding your search area?
Old 10-27-2019, 11:27 PM

2008 E350
Part of the issue for me is an e63 is a luxury item. While I can finally afford one, I'm not interested in replacing a $20k motor.

So it's a tough one for me. I really want the car. I found several with low mileage and factory warranty left but they aren't eligible for ELW.

The CPO cars I've seen are terrible. Who's monitoring these dealer CPOs, it's really bad!

Im just trying to get as much opinions as possible to help me decide.

Does anyone actually have a third party warranty and had to use it?

Is it worth the risk to go without? How reliable is the w212 E63S in general if it's not modified etc. I drive around 8000 miles a year although I might keep my E350 as my daily and then the E63 use would be much less.

Will an E63S typically last to 75k without major concerns? From what I can find they seem fairly reliable except for a few items and those aren't horrible. Fuel pump, motor mounts and maybe some other minor things but I'm not reading a lot of engine/trans failures. So maybe a low mileage with factory warranty left might be ok, shouldn't the problems shake out in the next year if the car is a lemon?

I just don't know. As stated, I'm really disappointed today that an E63S might not be a good choice of car.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:33 PM

2008 E350
Originally Posted by homeofstone
As I stated before, keep looking. Be patient. What about expanding your search area?
I'm not opposed to that. The only issue is flying all over the country and/or PPI costs are adding up. Basically, after 5 flights and PPI's, I could pay for the extended warranty.

I'm currently looking at two more, one around 100 miles from me, the other about 350. Both are at indie dealers so no elw. But both are still under factory warranty and one is red!!!! Hot damn.

Honestly, at this point, I have very little respect for CPO or its merits. So I've opened my search and working on those two deals.

The red one has 7 months left and 20k miles on it. The other one closer to me has 13 months and 31k miles and it's black.

I might go look at the black one tomorrow, but again, warranty issue is a concern, I want some kind of coverage.

Any advice on best company for an amg aftermarket protection plan? 5 yrs or so.
Old 10-28-2019, 12:19 AM

2008 E350
If I buy a one owner car from a private party or independent dealer and it is STILL under original 4/50 warranty... Is it eligible for ELW?

Dealer today told me no. But then handed me a warranty brochure that says nothing like that. In fact, it says an ELW is available if original VLW is still valid with no mention of car being sold to a second owner.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:24 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
E63S
My understanding is that MB stipulate that in order to qualify as a Mercedes CPO that their dealers are selling cars that are in “as new” condition. Dealers will of course look to stretch things as much as they can and leave it to the purchaser to pick up (or not) any issues with the car. I have purchased 3 AMGs as CPO deals and went over each car with a fine toothed comb and negotiated a sale conditional on each fault with the car being addressed prior to delivery. I never got so much as a hint of push-back from them trying to claim the car is in good condition based on age/mileage etc. I have had a scratched wheel replaced, new front rotors/pads/, worn drivers seat bolster repaired, cracked sun roof seal replaced, respray/repair of a dinged bumper. On one car I pointed out that it had different brand front and rear tyres and this was sorted by replacing with 4 new MO spec tyres and a wheel alignment. It was literally as if the bill was being picked up by MB Corporate (and maybe it is??) and their only hassle being a short delay completing the sale and hitting their sales targets.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:36 AM

2008 E350
Mercedes Santa Monica offered me $200 off the sale price for the hood misalignment, and one payment free for the rear bumper damage but very clearly said they will not negotiate any further or fix any of the issues, period.

I walked out. CPO isn't for me under those circumstances. My 12 yr old E350 with 79k on it is in better condition. Seriously.

Besides that...

I still don't understand why a non Mercedes dealer car or private party car STILL under original factory warranty wouldn't be eligible for ELW by second or third owner.

Can anyone comment on that?

I'm going to call Mercedes tomorrow but it just doesn't make sense. Why would they care who buys the ELW if the car is still under the original VLW 4/50?
Old 10-28-2019, 07:41 AM

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts
2016 E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by BRGR TME

I'm going to call Mercedes tomorrow but it just doesn't make sense. Why would they care who buys the ELW if the car is still under the original VLW 4/50?
Because they want to support their dealers selling CPO cars. Which makes perfect sense.

That said - any dealer can certify any car they want that is under factory warranty. But they have to want to do that. Best bet is to either have relationship with dealer already, or talk to them and have therm help you in your search. And then don;t try to bargain on the price of the ELW (usually $5-6k for the extra 3 years).
Old 10-28-2019, 09:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 Mercedes E63 AMG
I was on the same boat as you few months back.....I looked over 6 months before I found one that I liked and the color that I wanted. I found it at a Mercedes dealership in Belmont, California. I called them and drove down there the very next day.
it is a 2014 E63 AMG white sedan with most of the options including carbon fiber kits.......and it had a little over 40K miles on it.
the dealership can only give me one year unlimited miles warranty but I need at least three to four years.....so they were able to get a third party warranty for me for three years after my first year unlimited warranty expired. this mean I have a total of FULL FOUR years of warranty.....since this E63 has the CCB brakes, I had them check the brakes condition before I signed the papers. Found out the CB rotors were 85% and pads are at 95%.

you might want to check with the dealership if they can draw up custom individual warranty with you, it will not be cheap.....

I paid a little over $8K for the vehicle warranty, full three years of maintenance warranty, and five years of wheels and tires warranty.
Old 10-28-2019, 05:17 PM

Received 354 Likes on 244 Posts
13 s212 63 p30. 03 s55amg. 06 LX470
13 e63pp wagon and just got a warranty

Do you know a friendly car dealer?

Maybe they can get you near cost on a 75k 6 year fidelity platinum warranty? They are supposedly the best aftermarket warranty and what I just purchased. I the top Coverage which is not 100% but I don’t really expect that...

It would be about 6100 or slightly less for their cost. Retail around 8300.

Its probably even the same coverage at the even less cost for a newer lower mileage car than mine was (42k).

I fortunately sold my old car to a nice employee of a Mercedes dealership (did not shop there) and he hooked me up on the warranty. It could not have worked out better. No claims yet.

Additionally, when I was looking for the wagon (lusted for years) it was pretty much a make a deposit on the phone right away, if you found it before anyone else,or the car would not be available to purchase. I think sedans are much more available so take your time and you will find the perfect vehicle.

Gary
Old 10-29-2019, 01:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,500 Likes on 1,172 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by BRGR TME
Mercedes Santa Monica offered me $200 off the sale price for the hood misalignment, and one payment free for the rear bumper damage but very clearly said they will not negotiate any further or fix any of the issues, period.

I walked out. CPO isn't for me under those circumstances. My 12 yr old E350 with 79k on it is in better condition. Seriously.

Besides that...

I still don't understand why a non Mercedes dealer car or private party car STILL under original factory warranty wouldn't be eligible for ELW by second or third owner.

Can anyone comment on that?

Check the extended warranty subforum for vendors that sell the extended warranty. Basically the MB warranty is the best and although there are 3rd party warranties that have good reputations, they're not as good as the MB one. Even if they're good, for big money repairs, they may require an inspection before proceeding with repairs and as others said, if there's a limit to the coverage, if you blow the engine, they might just call it a day.

Anyway the basics of the ELW/CPO varies. If the car is sold by an MB dealer, it has to be a CPO, you can't get ELW for it. If the car was sold by an MB dealer without CPO to another dealer, that also kills it for ELW. You need the vin number and have the vendors mentioned in the extended subforum check it out to see if it still qualifies for ELW. ELW gives you up to 7/100k and CPO is up to 7 years unlimited miles. I think if you want more than 3 years, probably get a car that has a year or two left on the original warranty. Use this vin decoder to figure out the manufacturing date and guess at the in service date or pay for a carfax/autocheck for the in service date. Dealers probably just say it doesn't qualify automatically as 3rd party warranties are a much bigger profit center than factory ones. Basically 3rd party warranties cost more, cover less, can go out of business, pickier about what's covered, have limits etc. That's why everyone prefers the MB warranty.

https://www.datamb.com/

As others said, have the dealer fix those issues with those crappy CPO cars. They should be fixed. Also you are coming up on the end of the month so they may be more willing to negotiate in a day or two.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:53 AM

2016 E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
C
Anyway the basics of the ELW/CPO varies. If the car is sold by an MB dealer, it has to be a CPO, you can't get ELW for it. If the car was sold by an MB dealer without CPO to another dealer, that also kills it for ELW. You need the vin number and have the vendors mentioned in the extended subforum check it out to see if it still qualifies for ELW. ELW gives you up to 7/100k and CPO is up to 7 years unlimited miles.
This is the trick though. Assuming the car is new enough to be CPO:d, a MB dealer can pretty much CPO any car, and then sell you the ELW. As long as the car is not a complete write-off from a warranty perspective.
Private party sales, shady dealers etc - no problems, as long as the MB dealer CPOs and then sells you the ELW (sense a theme here?)
The ELW is a very nice margin booster for the MB sales people and the MB dealer, so they are willing to work with you as long as you work with them.

But don't expect the MB dealer to help you out and then you getting a "steal" on the ELW. You'll be paying full price. Which is OK - if you then get the car you want, with the options etc you want, and the warranty we all want (ELW).

Last edited by FastWgn; 10-29-2019 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Edited for clarity -added MBs
Old 10-29-2019, 08:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by FastWgn
This is the trick though. Assuming the car is new enough to be CPO:d, a dealer can pretty much CPO any car, and then sell you the ELW. As long as the car is not a complete write-off.
Private party sales, shady dealers etc - no problems, as long as the dealer CPOs and then sells you the ELW (sense a theme here?)
The ELW is a very nice margin booster for the sales people and the dealer, so they are willing to work with you as long as you work with them.

But don't expect the dealer to help you out and then you getting a "steal" on the ELW. You'll be paying full price. Which is OK - if you then get the car you want, with the options etc you want, and the warranty we all want (ELW).
You are confusing many things here. Only an MB dealer can make it an MB CPO. Once it's CPO, you get 1 year of CPO and you can buy 2 extra years from any dealer mentioned in the extended warranty subforum. The MB dealer doesn't make it ELW with the CPO. We are talking MB CPO and MB ELW. If you're talking about 3rd party dealers, they can't sell you MB ELW, that would be some other 3rd party warranty which isn't as good as the MB one and probably costs more.

If you buy it private party or from a non MB dealer where the car still has some of the original factory warranty, it might still quality for the MB ELW, you just have to have the vendors mentioned in the subforum check the vin to see if it qualifies. If an MB dealer sold the car without a CPO to another dealer, that could be one reason why the car would no longer qualifies for an ELW.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:24 AM

2016 E63 Wagon
You are confusing many things here. Only an MB dealer can make it an MB CPO. Once it's CPO, you get 1 year of CPO and you can buy 2 extra years from any dealer mentioned in the extended warranty subforum. The MB dealer doesn't make it ELW with the CPO. We are talking MB CPO and MB ELW. If you're talking about 3rd party dealers, they can't sell you MB ELW, that would be some other 3rd party warranty which isn't as good as the MB one and probably costs more.

If you buy it private party or from a non MB dealer where the car still has some of the original factory warranty, it might still quality for the MB ELW, you just have to have the vendors mentioned in the subforum check the vin to see if it qualifies. If an MB dealer sold the car without a CPO to another dealer, that could be one reason why the car would no longer qualifies for an ELW.
Thanks for clarity - I think we are saying the same thing actually. When I say "dealer" I mean "MB dealer" - agree 100%. Only a MB dealer can do a CPO or ELW. I assumed that was clear, but you are right - better to be overly transparent here.
Point is - just because a car is sold as non CPO by a private party or a non MB dealer, it does not mean the car is ineligible for CPO nor ELW. Many people assume that to be true.

Edited post for clarity.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by FastWgn
Thanks for clarity - I think we are saying the same thing actually. When I say "dealer" I mean "MB dealer" - agree 100%. Only a MB dealer can do a CPO or ELW. I assumed that was clear, but you are right - better to be overly transparent here.
Point is - just because a car is sold as non CPO by a private party or a non MB dealer, it does not mean the car is ineligible for CPO nor ELW. Many people assume that to be true.

Edited post for clarity.
I don't think you're being clear. Only the MB dealer can sell a CPO car. You can only get a CPO car from an MB dealer. If it's a non MB dealer, you can't get an MB CPO car. Private party or non MB dealer might mean you can still get ELW depending on status. Have an MB dealer check the vin to see if it's eligible first. You don't need to buy the 2 extra years of CPO or the ELW from the MB dealer selling the car. You can buy that from any MB dealer and there are several mentioned in the extended warranty subforum that will discount the warranty. I believe if you buy the car from an MB dealer and it's not CPO, you can't get ELW.
Old 10-29-2019, 11:05 AM

2016 E63 Wagon
I don't think you're being clear. Only the MB dealer can sell a CPO car. You can only get a CPO car from an MB dealer.
Yes, but ANY car can be processed through an MB dealer and they can sell it as CPO. Regardless of where you are buying it from, as long as it meets the standards.

I believe if you buy the car from an MB dealer and it's not CPO, you can't get ELW.
That is correct.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E63S purchase help/warranty concerns etc.