W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to Purchase 2014-16 E63(s) Wagon - What to Look For/Common W212 Issues?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BWM 328xi Touring + Many more...
Lightbulb Looking to Purchase 2014-16 E63(s) Wagon - What to Look For/Common W212 Issues?

As the title says, the wife needs a new car and we're considering 2014-2016 E63 (s or not) wagons.

I was wondering what are common issues these vehicles have (engine, chassis, interior, electronics, etc.), what kind of maintenance history I should be looking for, and the kind of maintenance I should expect to have to do longterm, as well as things to look/feel for when inspecting and driving a potential car? Most of the vehicles I'm seeing are for sale through private parties or indie dealerships and likely don't or won't have any available extended warranty, so if we do this I want to feel very comfortable knowing what we're getting into. Are there any significant differences between the 3 years?

I am extremely handy and experienced with vehicles in general (repair/rebuild/restore/modify/race cars of all sorts) and am a mechanical engineer who does engine calibration for a well-known manufacturer for a living, so feel free to get technical with your descriptions/explanations if it'll make things easier. I am happy to get down and dirty to inspect anything I need to.

Thanks!

P.S. Were the non-AMG W212 wagons still available with rear jumpseats and if so, is it possible to retrofit them into the AMG wagons? I recall reading/hearing about it a while back but it's been some time.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:29 PM

Received 70 Likes on 31 Posts
E63S
https://lmgtfy.com/?q=site%3Ahttps%3...%2F+jump+seats

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=site%3Ahttps%3...ommon+problems

Old 12-09-2019, 02:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,076 Likes on 1,449 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...-w212-amg.html
Old 12-09-2019, 03:02 PM

Thank you! Not sure how I didn't find that post but I did search for it. Much appreciated - reading through it now.
Old 12-09-2019, 04:27 PM

Read through all the posts/comments/links in the thread you posted, and also downloaded the owners manuals and maintenance schedule/manuals. Doesn't seem like there are any items that are huge concerns if the car has been reasonably well maintained. Parts are expensive, as expected, but I'm a DIY'er and I have a lift so not too concerned about that, though I hope not to have to worry about any major repairs on this purchase for a long time. I'll do a thorough inspection and drive of any potential vehicles myself, and also have a proper MB PPI done if it looks like all else is a go.

Was it just the 2016 that had the updated shifting or both 2015 and 2016? Also, it was just the 2016 that had the fully updated COMAND/User interface, correct? Aside from that any real differences or mechanical updates? I didn't seem to find much indication of any other differences.
Old 12-09-2019, 05:24 PM

2010 C350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by taz4432
Read through all the posts/comments/links in the thread you posted, and also downloaded the owners manuals and maintenance schedule/manuals. Doesn't seem like there are any items that are huge concerns if the car has been reasonably well maintained. Parts are expensive, as expected, but I'm a DIY'er and I have a lift so not too concerned about that, though I hope not to have to worry about any major repairs on this purchase for a long time. I'll do a thorough inspection and drive of any potential vehicles myself, and also have a proper MB PPI done if it looks like all else is a go.

Was it just the 2016 that had the updated shifting or both 2015 and 2016? Also, it was just the 2016 that had the fully updated COMAND/User interface, correct? Aside from that any real differences or mechanical updates? I didn't seem to find much indication of any other differences.
2015 was the start of the updated transmission, I don’t know if it was a hardware or software change maybe both, there is a thread on the W218 forums that discusses the changes.

Only 2016 had the updated command, also the only year you can get CarPlay and android auto activated, doing so on the older years involves way too much work unless you go to an aftermarket approach.
Old 12-09-2019, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by 416mOe
2015 was the start of the updated transmission, I don’t know if it was a hardware or software change maybe both, there is a thread on the W218 forums that discusses the changes.

Only 2016 had the updated command, also the only year you can get CarPlay and android auto activated, doing so on the older years involves way too much work unless you go to an aftermarket approach.
Thanks for confirming. I don't personally care about CarPlay (neither of us use Apple products) nor Android Auto, though the wife might prefer to have the latter if possible. The trick now is to actually find a half decent car (at a respectable price). As much as we Canadians love our wagons, there's still only a small # that ever actually get bought here. I have a lead on one that's not currently listed but it may not be for sale quite yet...

Given your screen name, I assume you can appreciate the fun of finding the car you want in the Canadian market.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:39 PM

Received 370 Likes on 158 Posts
AMG
14-16 have essentially the same trans to the T, in terms hardware for performance and shift speed and such, like clutches and solenoids. Regardless of P/N changes, the major working components are exactly the same. Hydraulic control changes due to a change in supplier or change in hydraulic routing, etc is anyone's guess besides internal to Mercedes.

Here is my findings for the trans for more info:
https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...ml#post7905220
The following users liked this post:
TonyC (12-20-2019)
Old 12-10-2019, 05:04 PM

2010 C350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by taz4432
Thanks for confirming. I don't personally care about CarPlay (neither of us use Apple products) nor Android Auto, though the wife might prefer to have the latter if possible. The trick now is to actually find a half decent car (at a respectable price). As much as we Canadians love our wagons, there's still only a small # that ever actually get bought here. I have a lead on one that's not currently listed but it may not be for sale quite yet...

Given your screen name, I assume you can appreciate the fun of finding the car you want in the Canadian market.
It wasn’t too bad for me honestly, I was after a 2015+ sedan, black or white with either the carbon exterior or night package. My only real requirement was a black interior. Ended with a black/black 2015 CPO sedan with the carbon trim package. But I guess it’s harder to find the right wagon. There was a wagon for sale back when I got mine that another member here picked up.

i don’t know what part of the country you are in, but for what ever reason, western Canadian cars seem to be “cleaner”examples compared to what’s available in the GTA.

The one other thing I would consider is, a 2016 should still have a Bumper to Bumper warranty ending sometime in 2020 depending on when it’s in service date is. You can still buy a extended limited warranty from Benz. If you do end up with a 2015, try to find a CPO vehicle. Even if you think you can diy most things that can go wrong, parts is still damn expensive.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:44 PM

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
'15 E63S,'21 LCI M5
It wasn’t too bad for me honestly, I was after a 2015+ sedan, black or white with either the carbon exterior or night package. My only real requirement was a black interior. Ended with a black/black 2015 CPO sedan with the carbon trim package. But I guess it’s harder to find the right wagon. There was a wagon for sale back when I got mine that another member here picked up.

i don’t know what part of the country you are in, but for what ever reason, western Canadian cars seem to be “cleaner”examples compared to what’s available in the GTA.

The one other thing I would consider is, a 2016 should still have a Bumper to Bumper warranty ending sometime in 2020 depending on when it’s in service date is. You can still buy a extended limited warranty from Benz. If you do end up with a 2015, try to find a CPO vehicle. Even if you think you can diy most things that can go wrong, parts is still damn expensive.
I have a similar criteria , just curious how long did it take you to find that 2015 sedan , looks like 6-8mo isn't unrealistic ? not a ton of them out there . Even nationwide searching zips lol.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:42 PM

2010 C350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by SilverE5588
I have a similar criteria , just curious how long did it take you to find that 2015 sedan , looks like 6-8mo isn't unrealistic ? not a ton of them out there . Even nationwide searching zips lol.
Took me just about 5 months to find mine. I had looked at maybe 4-5 examples but most were either in really bad shape for being a $60k+ 2015 vehicle or were being sold by shady corner dirt lot dealerships.

Of course, after I bought mine a couple popped up on the market at Benz dealers. It seems the sweet spot to buy vehicles like these are when they hit the 3 year mark. Usually coming back from a 2-3 year lease, 2016s are slowly starting to come up for sale. There is a really nice designo magno grey vehicle being sold at a Benz dealership in St. Catherine’s, Ontario if your willing to make the trip.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:48 PM

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
'15 E63S,'21 LCI M5
Took me just about 5 months to find mine. I had looked at maybe 4-5 examples but most were either in really bad shape for being a $60k+ 2015 vehicle or were being sold by shady corner dirt lot dealerships.

Of course, after I bought mine a couple popped up on the market at Benz dealers. It seems the sweet spot to buy vehicles like these are when they hit the 3 year mark. Usually coming back from a 2-3 year lease, 2016s are slowly starting to come up for sale. There is a really nice designo magno grey vehicle being sold at a Benz dealership in St. Catherine’s, Ontario if your willing to make the trip.
Yeah I hear ya on the dirt lot dealerships lol. Yeah Canada is a little out of my radius , but I'm keeping an eye out everywhere .
Old 12-10-2019, 11:08 PM

Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts
2016 E63s
I shipped mine from Chicago to Washington D.C. because waiting for the trim, color and options you want is like watching paint dry. If you aren’t willing to expand your radius then you could be waiting quite a while or make a bad desperation buy.

Consider this will be the car that puts a priceless grin on your face every day, it may be worth any short term hassle.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:05 AM

2010 C350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by NoVAe63s
I shipped mine from Chicago to Washington D.C. because waiting for the trim, color and options you want is like watching paint dry. If you aren’t willing to expand your radius then you could be waiting quite a while or make a bad desperation buy.

Consider this will be the car that puts a priceless grin on your face every day, it may be worth any short term hassle.
Well said.
I don’t have Carbon interior on my E63 that I actually wanted really bad but being a black/black CPO and one owner/low km vehicle totally out weighed not having carbon trim.
ive learned to live with piano black lol.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:44 AM

Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts
2016 E63s
I’ve got the carbon fiber bits everywhere, it was cool for about two seconds but I don’t even notice it anymore. So for whatever it’s worth I don’t think you’re missing anything, even on resale.

On the other hand the car doesn’t have a heated steering wheel, which I DO notice every day now! Gotta break out the old school leather driving gloves.
Old 12-11-2019, 04:38 PM

I'm definitely looking for a 2015 or 2016 - not interested in a 2014 unless the price is stupidly low and it's in immaculate, documented shape. Does anyone know if MB Canada (or one of the dealerships) can see what cars are coming off lease? I would expect that there are still some 2016s on lease, if not 2015s as well, that may be coming due soon. I see nothing showing on the inventory search but it only shows what's currently available.

I agree that western Canadian cars are much cleaner (no salt and milder winters in BC definitely help) and people in the PNW tend to love wagons a lot, so there's typically an abundance of them there. We are located north of Toronto but will go anywhere in the country for the right vehicle at the right price.