W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 E63s Steering Wheel. All alcantara?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 02:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lexus ISF (Sold)
2014 E63s Steering Wheel. All alcantara?

Hey guys,
I'm looking at a used W212 E63s and was wondering if a full alcantara steering wheel was ever an OEM option. I don't believe it was but the car I am looking at has one (pictured below.) So if you could just enlighten me that would be great!
Cheers
The following users liked this post:
cotmfk (07-31-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 02:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W212 E63s
That definitely is not an OEM option, but it is a pretty pricey after market steering wheel
cotmfk (07-31-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 02:58 PM

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts
2016 E63 Wagon
Eeeh - forget the steering wheel, you have a non OEM screen right there....

Much bigger "issue".

What country are you in?
Old 07-31-2020, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 908 Likes on 638 Posts
E63S | X5
Looks like US -- That car is in Connecticut.

It is an aftermarket steering wheel, but a quality piece I wouldn't be concerned about. It is also an aftermarket screen but there are a lot of quality options out there often better than what comes with MB... If they put that kind of steering wheel in I wouldn't be concerned about them selecting a low quality screen.

$48k is too much. And just because those aftermarket items are quality and can be interpreted as a "good" thing, I'd still negotiate the price down as though they are a bad thing.

14-16 w212 E63s are everywhere right now for sale. Shop around a bit and if you decide you're really interested in that car there are plenty of comparable e63s' out there with lower prices that'll help you negotiate down as well.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:24 PM

Received 181 Likes on 139 Posts
On the shoulder
The wheels appear to be from a non S-Model E63.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e63
Originally Posted by ck21
Hey guys,
I'm looking at a used W212 E63s and was wondering if a full alcantara steering wheel was ever an OEM option. I don't believe it was but the car I am looking at has one (pictured below.) So if you could just enlighten me that would be great!
Cheers
my e63 only have half alcantara,and by the time i bought it the alcantara parts are gone,but it donst matter for me i still feel great for handle.

and nice screen there,i about to put mines on after it shipped.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:54 PM

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
2014 E550, 2015 E63S, 2017 G63 - RIP
Alcantara requires a lot of maintenance, otherwise ends up looking like a mouse fur
I changed my 1/2 Alcantara wheel to the aftermarket full leather one - much better and no cleaning required.

Not a big fan of the iPad stuck to the dash, breaks-up the lines.

Trending Topics

Old 07-31-2020, 09:50 PM

Lexus ISF (Sold)
Awesome advice guys! I personally would prefer my car to have the original parts on it so if I hope they'll take that into consideration tomorrow during negotiations.I had my eye on a CPO one here in VA but it got scooped up in a day!

Last edited by ck21; 07-31-2020 at 10:54 PM.
Old 08-01-2020, 03:46 AM

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts
2016 E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by fallen
Alcantara requires a lot of maintenance, otherwise ends up looking like a mouse fur
I changed my 1/2 Alcantara wheel to the aftermarket full leather one - much better and no cleaning required.

Not a big fan of the iPad stuck to the dash, breaks-up the lines.
Funny - I'm the opposite to you on the alcantara. Much easier to keep clean and doesn't go glossy over time. With just minimal maint it stays beautiful forever. The beauty of synthetic material. Just don't drive with KFC grease or motor oil on your hands...

We do agree on the iPad though, and I think resale value is going DOWN with aftermarket stereos, pretty much 100% of the time. I know I would not buy a used one with that conversion in it. Just because many are done right, some are hackjobs and the electrical system is never the same again.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:51 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,451 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Nothing wrong with a nicer screen
Old 08-01-2020, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Nothing wrong with a nicer screen
Some of the interfaces are pretty nice too. I haven't really played around with standard new car tech in a bit, but I have been eyeballing something similar to that screen for my 08 X5 from a company called Avinusa and they look pretty nice for an aftermarket piece.

https://avinusa.com/
Old 08-01-2020, 06:14 PM

Lexus ISF (Sold)
Originally Posted by CarHopper
Some of the interfaces are pretty nice too. I haven't really played around with standard new car tech in a bit, but I have been eyeballing something similar to that screen for my 08 X5 from a company called Avinusa and they look pretty nice for an aftermarket piece.

https://avinusa.com/
So I played around with it and it's actually great. They have the original head unit as well and said they could fit the old one on for me if I so wished. I think I'm going to stick with the new one. Used the "Used E63s Buyers Guide" from here and didn't notice any problems at all. The car was obviously taken care of very well as opposed to some others that I've seen. They just have to rewire some stuff for me on Monday and then once thats done I'm going to buy it outright. The guy I dealt with was great and very knowledgeable. Much better than my experience at MB Alexandria.
Thanks for all the help and suggestions and I can't wait to get my new (to me) E63s!
Oliver Liu (08-05-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Make sure they give you the OEM headunit along with the sale. Out of curiosity, what are they going to rewire?

Otherwise, enjoy, and let us know if you seal the deal
Old 08-01-2020, 09:16 PM

Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts
2016 E63s
Nothing against upgrades or red start buttons, but that steering wheel just doesn’t look right. Maybe it’s me but the OEM one looks better.

When I see stuff like this is raises my antenna up, why did they change it? Even if you don’t like the OEM one, is this that much better to spend the $$? Could be an innocent reason but OP double and triple check that car before purchasing!

And don’t be afraid to shop far and wide - I looked months for mine and ended up getting a super clean 16 CPO out of Chicago. Damn thing is flawless. Shipped it to the DC area for a little over $1k. Small price to lay for the car of your dreams...

Good luck!

Old 08-01-2020, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Originally Posted by NoVAe63s
Nothing against upgrades or red start buttons, but that steering wheel just doesn’t look right. Maybe it’s me but the OEM one looks better.

When I see stuff like this is raises my antenna up, why did they change it? Even if you don’t like the OEM one, is this that much better to spend the $$? Could be an innocent reason but OP double and triple check that car before purchasing!

And don’t be afraid to shop far and wide - I looked months for mine and ended up getting a super clean 16 CPO out of Chicago. Damn thing is flawless. Shipped it to the DC area for a little over $1k. Small price to lay for the car of your dreams...

Good luck!
It's a taste thing on the steering wheel. At the end of the day if the OP is over it or wants to go OEM I don't think it would be hard at all to find someone here that would swap and add enough cash to cover the OP's shipping as well at the least.

I would recommend shopping around. It's easy to fall in love with the e63s and jump into the first one you get your paws on. Make sure it has literally EVERYTHING you'd want. These cars are everywhere for sale right now and as mentioned it's not too hard or expensive to ship a car. Sold my c63 privately some time ago and shipped it from Western NY to South FL for $900.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:28 PM

Lexus ISF (Sold)
Originally Posted by CarHopper
Make sure they give you the OEM headunit along with the sale. Out of curiosity, what are they going to rewire?

Otherwise, enjoy, and let us know if you seal the deal
I already told them I'm taking the OEM headunit but thanks for the advice. The sound from the BT wasn't working for the unit and only the apple car play was. They figured out it was something to do with the wiring and said they could fix it in about an hour. Unfortunately I didn't have the time to wait so they told me they will hold the car for me, fix it on Monday, contact me when they're done, and we could go from there. I will be out of town for awhile so they agreed to let me put a small deposit on it and hold it for me while I'm away.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:35 PM

Lexus ISF (Sold)
Originally Posted by NoVAe63s

Good luck!
Hey man thanks for the concern. I have looked at a couple and was just going to look at this one because I was going to be going right through that town. I started the thread because I was confused and turned off by the steering wheel. I went there expecting it to be my least favorite E63 I had seen but it turned out to be my favorite surprisingly. The steering wheel is much, much more handsome in person and I actually prefer it to the prior ones I had been in with the OEM half alcantara wheels. It feels better in the hand and is definitely a quality piece. I would've switched out the steering wheel to full alcantara or CF with a shift indicator if I bought one with the OEM unit. I'm also in the DC area if you ever want to meet up
Old 08-05-2020, 02:21 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 E63 AMG S-model
Both ck21 AND NoVAe63s are from DC? I bought my 2016 E63 S at Passport BMW in June (Suitland, MD)......came down from Syracuse, NY.....lots of 2016s seem to currently be on the East Coast: Shrewsbury MA, Annapolis, MD, Woodbury, NY, Sudbury, MA (sold),
Old 08-06-2020, 09:10 PM

Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts
2016 E63s
Originally Posted by ck21
Hey man thanks for the concern. I have looked at a couple and was just going to look at this one because I was going to be going right through that town. I started the thread because I was confused and turned off by the steering wheel. I went there expecting it to be my least favorite E63 I had seen but it turned out to be my favorite surprisingly. The steering wheel is much, much more handsome in person and I actually prefer it to the prior ones I had been in with the OEM half alcantara wheels. It feels better in the hand and is definitely a quality piece. I would've switched out the steering wheel to full alcantara or CF with a shift indicator if I bought one with the OEM unit. I'm also in the DC area if you ever want to meet up

There’s a few others on here from VA so could definitely get a track thing going one day. I’m still bone stock but patiently counting down the months until the warranty is up!