Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2022, 10:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 Mercedes E63 S AMG
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
here is that experience perfectly documented:

https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...201-3-mph.html

Great article. This I will give them a call tomorrow. Concerns if a euro shop just rebuilds but with these parts. Sounds like they are one for one.
Old 11-04-2022, 08:42 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
2016 E63s wagon; 2021 Miata RF; 2018 Q7
Hi folks.

I bought a car that came tuned and I'm trying to figure out what tune it's running. ECC (who did the dyno below today) said it's not one of their files. There's a white eurocharged sticker on the back, so it might be from Eurocharged Texas. Can anyone tell what kind of tune would give this type of dyno on Petro Canada 94 octane pump gas?

Old 11-04-2022, 09:19 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,037 Likes on 1,420 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by tax lit
Hi folks.

I bought a car that came tuned and I'm trying to figure out what tune it's running. ECC (who did the dyno below today) said it's not one of their files. There's a white eurocharged sticker on the back, so it might be from Eurocharged Texas. Can anyone tell what kind of tune would give this type of dyno on Petro Canada 94 octane pump gas?

that dyno is not a signature for any one brand of tune ... it looks like a lot of tuners dynos ... what are your goals in trying to figure out who the tune came from? What will you do with the info? Have you logged the car - is it "healthy?"

Last edited by PeterUbers; 11-04-2022 at 10:56 PM.
Old 11-05-2022, 01:44 AM

that dyno is not a signature for any one brand of tune ... it looks like a lot of tuners dynos ...
Ok; thanks.

... what are your goals in trying to figure out who the tune came from? What will you do with the info?
I was trying to do a few things:
1) Better understand the history of the car to ensure I'm on top of maintenance. If the tune had been clearly identifiable as a [stage X] tune from [company], I would do more research on that tune to look for known maintenance items with that tune.

2) It would help me to know what tune I'm currently experiencing. For now I'm going back to stock to be very conservative, but I also expect to come back to tuning down the road. The car currently feels good, is fun to drive, and isn't putting up any lights on the dashboard. So this may be an OK one to come back to when desired, BUT

3) I'm also trying to understand how aggressively the car has been tuned now. ECC was suggesting I move to their tune because it would be a similar feel in terms of power while running less boost. I might go to ECC Stage I if I find stock less enjoyable after experiencing this tune, but overall I'm not interested in taking a LOT of tuning risk for about 2 years.

... Have you logged the car - is it "healthy?"
I was not provided with logs from ecc, and don't know how to log data myself (as I've never had a tuned car before and don't have any special tools), so I don't really know for sure. I would be interested in logging data - is there a particular OBD reader that is best for these cars?
I had the Mercedes dealership that did the PPI check for fault codes, and there weren't any engine-related ones, but I don't think that's what you're asking for.
Old 11-05-2022, 02:20 AM
Out Of Control!!

Maintenance is pretty similar on any tuned m157 car
- oil changed every 5k
- change plugs (and coils IMHO) at 10k
- monitor camshaft position sensors and solenoids for leaking oil into wiring harnesses (not necessarily related to tuning per se)
- routine maintenance for the rest
- motor mounts tend to need more frequent replacement due to aggressive launches
ive not read of any one particular tune requiring a unique set of maintenance items...

hptuner to log
https://www.hptuners.com/
sadly, even though no dash lights, logging the car can find some issues pending such as knock, timing issues, fuel pressure issues, etc

also you can dragy the car and see how it performs with current tune .. will be a good metric for you test it when it's back to stock and then retune
https://dragymotorsports.com/?gclid=...RoC9gIQAvD_BwE

going to stock then re tuning with a tuner that will stand by their work is very reasonable and something I would do too.

Last edited by PeterUbers; 11-05-2022 at 02:26 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by PeterUbers:
BCP (11-07-2022), I.T. Guy (11-06-2022), jvakos (11-06-2022)
Old 11-05-2022, 02:50 AM

Maintenance is pretty similar on any tuned m157 car
- oil changed every 5k
- change plugs (and coils IMHO) at 10k
- monitor camshaft position sensors and solenoids for leaking oil into wiring harnesses (not necessarily related to tuning per se)
- routine maintenance for the rest
- motor mounts tend to need more frequent replacement due to aggressive launches
ive not read of any one particular tune requiring a unique set of maintenance items...

hptuner to log
https://www.hptuners.com/
sadly, even though no dash lights, logging the car can find some issues pending such as knock, timing issues, fuel pressure issues, etc

also you can dragy the car and see how it performs with current tune .. will be a good metric for you test it when it's back to stock and then retune
https://dragymotorsports.com/?gclid=...RoC9gIQAvD_BwE

going to stock then re tuning with a tuner that will stand by their work is very reasonable and something I would do too.
Thanks! This is very helpful. I hadn’t realized spark plugs and coils should be changed at 10k if tuned. Suppose I’ll add that to my list of things to do to the car.

Will also look into dragy and hptuners.

someday I’ll rejoin this thread as someone chasing quarter mile times, but for now I’ll live vicariously through others.

The following users liked this post:
brutus_tx (11-06-2022)
Old 11-06-2022, 04:34 PM

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2019 911 GTS / 2016 X3 / 2015 E63s / 1993 RX-7
Why not just keep the tune, and not put your foot to the floor?

Any chance to ask the prior owner?
Did it come with a handheld tuner?

Looks like it is putting down some decent power.
Old 11-07-2022, 05:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 E550
Smiles

Thanks to Brett I've only had a grin on my face ear to ear driving this 10 second beast!! Love the tcu and e40 tune

most importantly some people take this all way too seriously and this has simply been fun for all of us and I have made great friends in the process online and at the track and on meets.
Great thiings!! I love when smiles are happening and smiles are everywhere! inspiration of human kindness and power of sharing an caring is truly keeping hope alive. Thats what its all about. Nothing but smiles.
signing off. Smiles!
The following users liked this post:
brutus_tx (11-08-2022)
Old 11-07-2022, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by thesaintusa
Why not just keep the tune, and not put your foot to the floor?

Looks like it is putting down some decent power.
I agree - seems like a shame to lose the power. ECC was very cautious that it is running too much boost. While I haven't gotten any codes or issues that are noticeable to the driver thus far, I'm now too worried about blowing the engine to enjoy it. I don't trust myself to NOT go wide open throttle when merging/passing, etc.

Any chance to ask the prior owner?
Did it come with a handheld tuner?

No and no, unfortunately.

I was looking at HPtuners as PeterUbers had suggested, and I'm not exactly clear what I need to log engine performance. Is it the $400 dongle here? https://www.hptuners.com/mpvi3/ I don't have a PC so also picking up a basic laptop would be an additional cost if that's needed. I may just hold off if I'm going back to stock and come back to all this when moving to a tune.

It's too bad it doesn't support Mazda vehicles. I was planning to start tracking my MX-5 RF and the track app looks awesome.
Old 11-07-2022, 08:34 AM
Out Of Control!!

I agree - seems like a shame to lose the power. ECC was very cautious that it is running too much boost. While I haven't gotten any codes or issues that are noticeable to the driver thus far, I'm now too worried about blowing the engine to enjoy it. I don't trust myself to NOT go wide open throttle when merging/passing, etc.

No and no, unfortunately.

I was looking at HPtuners as PeterUbers had suggested, and I'm not exactly clear what I need to log engine performance. Is it the $400 dongle here? https://www.hptuners.com/mpvi3/ I don't have a PC so also picking up a basic laptop would be an additional cost if that's needed. I may just hold off if I'm going back to stock and come back to all this when moving to a tune.

It's too bad it doesn't support Mazda vehicles. I was planning to start tracking my MX-5 RF and the track app looks awesome.
how much boost/psi is it running?
Old 11-07-2022, 10:27 AM

how much boost/psi is it running?
They didn't tell me the absolute number. What scared me was that they said it was almost 8 lbs more than their stage 1. (To which I promptly thought, "fu@#$ that.")

Car's going in tonight to MB Kitchener-Waterloo to flash back to stock. I'm able to get it done for free by the dealership at the moment because apparently there's an ECU recall that can be done for free until Dec 31.

Last edited by tax lit; 11-07-2022 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-07-2022, 12:12 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
2016 E63 S AMG Wagon
ECU Recall?!! Can anyone expand on that? I have an imported Canadian car and therefore am not on any recall mailing list.
Old 11-07-2022, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Yakatak
ECU Recall?!! Can anyone expand on that? I have an imported Canadian car and therefore am not on any recall mailing list.
I don't know anything about it other than that when I took the car in for PPI to make sure the tune hadn't cooked the engine the tech offered to flash back to stock for free because of the recall. I held off until investigating the tune.

After I bought the car and learned the tune is aggressive I called a different dealership (closer to me) and they confirmed there's a flash available for free due to some kind of ECU recall. I'll try to remember to ask the tech for more info when I pick up the car Wednesday. I'll post whatever details show on the service order.

Hopefully it doesn't nerf the stock setup (vs earlier OEM tunes).
Old 11-07-2022, 01:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

Recall or update.?.. I have had several OEM stock ecu updates prior to my tuning journey

Last edited by PeterUbers; 11-07-2022 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-07-2022, 05:01 PM

Recall or update.?.. I have had several OEM stock ecu updates prior to my tuning journey
Both dealerships described it to me as a recall, but it might just be an update. I don’t know.

Since my last post I’ve received an appointment confirmation with the following descriptions:

Campaign Services:
(SAB) - UPDATE ENGINE ELECTRONICS CONTROL UNIT SOFTWARE - C2017090008 -
- C2022080010 -

Old 11-07-2022, 05:09 PM
Out Of Control!!

Both dealerships described it to me as a recall, but it might just be an update. I don’t know.

Since my last post I’ve received an appointment confirmation with the following descriptions:

Campaign Services:
(SAB) - UPDATE ENGINE ELECTRONICS CONTROL UNIT SOFTWARE - C2017090008 -
- C2022080010 -
yep - says right there - update -- service bulletin
Old 11-07-2022, 08:40 PM

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2019 911 GTS / 2016 X3 / 2015 E63s / 1993 RX-7
My wife took my 2015 E63S to the dealership for a flash that dealt with warm restarts resulting in damage to the catalytic convertor

Some vehicles between 2011-2018 ML, GLE, GL, GLS, C , E, CL, S, CLS, SL, GLC, G were affected. Issue was after FULL warming up, and when still warm there is a 2nd start of less than 2 seconds then restarted again that the catalytic convertor would not be 'warmed up adequately' leading to premature failure of the cat.

Received a 'recall MBC Recall #2022080010' letter 2 weeks ago. Took them less than an hour according to my wife, and they update the software of the ECU. Didn't bother me as not tuned.

The letter says it is a Service Campaign and it is voluntary.

Old 11-08-2022, 07:58 AM

My wife took my 2015 E63S to the dealership for a flash that dealt with warm restarts resulting in damage to the catalytic convertor

Some vehicles between 2011-2018 ML, GLE, GL, GLS, C , E, CL, S, CLS, SL, GLC, G were affected. Issue was after FULL warming up, and when still warm there is a 2nd start of less than 2 seconds then restarted again that the catalytic convertor would not be 'warmed up adequately' leading to premature failure of the cat.

Received a 'recall MBC Recall #2022080010' letter 2 weeks ago. Took them less than an hour according to my wife, and they update the software of the ECU. Didn't bother me as not tuned.

The letter says it is a Service Campaign and it is voluntary.
Thanks for the info!
Old 11-17-2022, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 E63
New to me E63

Hello everyone. I have been lurking this thread for the past couple months in preparation for the purchase for a E63. The time has come and Im now the proud owner of a 2013 RWD.

My plans were downpipes, BB intake and a e50 tune…

Well I found out the next day when I went to do a oil change that the car indeed already has downpipes. (Sounded loud so I suspected this)
I have no check engine so I can only assume that the car is tuned. I have not been able to confirm who the tuner is yet though
unfortunately.

I moved forward with testing on the car with my Draggy and so far have managed a best of 8.6 60-130 which seems a little on the slower end.. Is this a acceptable time in 1800da/80ish degree temps?

I also just purchased BB intakes and actually went slower with them (8.9 60-130)
DA and Temps were very similar , has anyone experienced this before?

My Goal with this car is a low 7 to high 6 (60-130) as I do not drag race. Any info or help would be greatly appreciated! Can’t wait to start digging further into this platform!
Old 11-17-2022, 03:36 PM

Received 140 Likes on 101 Posts
m157 SL63
Originally Posted by SamE63_
Hello everyone. I have been lurking this thread for the past couple months in preparation for the purchase for a E63. The time has come and Im now the proud owner of a 2013 RWD.

My plans were downpipes, BB intake and a e50 tune…

Well I found out the next day when I went to do a oil change that the car indeed already has downpipes. (Sounded loud so I suspected this)
I have no check engine so I can only assume that the car is tuned. I have not been able to confirm who the tuner is yet though
unfortunately.

I moved forward with testing on the car with my Draggy and so far have managed a best of 8.6 60-130 which seems a little on the slower end.. Is this a acceptable time in 1800da/80ish degree temps?

I also just purchased BB intakes and actually went slower with them (8.9 60-130)
DA and Temps were very similar , has anyone experienced this before?

My Goal with this car is a low 7 to high 6 (60-130) as I do not drag race. Any info or help would be greatly appreciated! Can’t wait to start digging further into this platform!
An 8.6 60-130 is a good time for a DP car on a 93 tune in those conditions. I'm not sure why it would've gotten slower with the BB intakes, but sometimes Dragy has glitches which make times show as faster than they actually are (possibly your initial time was this way). If you post your before/after BB dragy slips, we can take a look at them.

An e-tune should get you in the ballpark of what you're looking for. Both Eurocharged and ECC have tunes available which people have had success with. ECC is probably the leader as far as best outcomes, but if you have a prior relationship with Jerry at Eurocharged, and want to stay with the same tuner, that way works also.

Old 11-17-2022, 07:13 PM

2013 E63
@billvp218 Ok, thats reassuring as far as the 8.6 goes.

I would buy into the glitch idea if it weren’t for the fact that I can remove the intakes and my time goes back up… so it’s definitely happening. Here are some draggy runs, I was wrong actually, the 8.9 was in much better conditions surprisingly.

Old 11-17-2022, 07:19 PM

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
05 C55-gone 06 E55-gone 15 P85D 14 E63 S 11 Sonata 😅

I would buy into the glitch idea if it weren’t for the fact that I can remove the intakes and my time goes back up… so it’s definitely happening. Here are some draggy runs, I was wrong actually, the 8.9 was in much better conditions surprisingly.

EC has a Black Friday sale going on right now. 20%

Old 11-17-2022, 09:57 PM

Received 140 Likes on 101 Posts
m157 SL63

You can remove the BB intakes and the time goes up or down? Some people say the car takes a little while to adjust to the intakes, but others saw immediate differences.

The 8.61s run does have the dragy glitch - the section where g-force spikes near or above 1.0g (I call them dragy spikes) is something that happens occasionally for whatever reason. I think dragy loses connection with GPS for a fraction of a second. The result is that "lost connection time" (or whatever it is) doesn't count towards your 60-130 time, and manifests itself in a huge spike in g-forces. It's a fairly common thing to see in people's "best times" which aren't usually replicable unless they happen to get another spike in there somewhere. Some people will get really defensive about it, even though they must be left wondering to themselves why their car can't produce such a time again.

It does look like the car ran a little stronger in the 8.61 run though, even aside from that one section. The cars aren't perfectly consistent though, sometimes one run will be 0.1s or so off from another for no particular known reason - maybe the car shifted at 6000 instead of 6200 because there was a little tire slip, etc.

Do you have some other runs pre-BB? Once you've done it a bit, it's pretty easy to take them on and off (or at least it was on my car), so you can possibly do runs on the same night each way.

Last edited by billvp218; 11-17-2022 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-17-2022, 10:47 PM

2013 E63
@billvp218 yea I have more, all fall within 8.61-8.66.
Here’s another 8.61 without the spike.
Time goes down with stock intakes back in.

Old 07-11-2023, 06:11 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
'14 E63 S AMG
Regarding the engine mounts - East Coast Euro seems to be kaput.

I just had mounts from @Creative Steel installed and highly recommend (see post with pre/post video: https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...ml#post8813692)